Cobra KING Black Wedges

94d01fefb6552cc8e639f1433088bec3.jpg

f8ef08ca57bac6a6a04abbc09b1b19d0.jpg

The finish on these is really holding up nicely. There are a few scratches from the dryer gritty condition I play week in and week out but under the sun reflects in the area you can’t see them.

Performance I would put right up there with the RTX3, J15 and J40s (my last three sets over the past 6 yrs). I can only speak to the versatile grinds as I have not gamed the others. Off tight lies I am able to really cut the legs out from under the ball. Since my miss is typically short side that makes this grind very useful for those touch shots.

One thing that kind of stands out for me that isn’t often talked about with wedges, is the length. I don’t find myself swinging harder to stretch for a particular number. It also eliminated the need for the gap wedge I had in my previous setup.

For the first time in a long time I feel that my bag is devoid of any gaps. Cobra really has done an excellent job from top to bottom.

Peak height and launch seem similar and the spin is legit hard to gauge as I literally am landing short of the greens on every shot.

I do feel that I am making solid contact but the distance just isnt there. Need to adjust potentially what I consider my standard yardages with this and keep hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

that’s really interesting. mine are gapping almost exactly the same with an adjustment for an extra 2* of loft (54/58 last set, 56/60 king black). and it’s not even the same shaft, and lie angles are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that’s really interesting. mine are gapping almost exactly the same with an adjustment for an extra 2* of loft (54/58 last set, 56/60 king black). and it’s not even the same shaft, and lie angles are different.

Ya im lost. Same loft and shaft as my current gamer.

Cobra KING Black Wedges

I am losing confidence quickly with the 50*, I went this route instead of set GW because in my previous setup I found the 50 to be much more versatile around the greens, though I was still able to use it as my 120 club.

According to the numbers I’m getting a full swing is only going about 108, from what I can tell due to a high launch and too high of peak height.

This is also leaving me a huge gap between PW which is around 135. Had a shot today around 105 and tried to flight it down but didn’t know what to expect, hit it fat and left it 40 yds short of the green. Just can’t do that if you want to score especially from that yardage. Lions81 even asked if it was a tweener yardage because it did not look like a confident swing.

Besides that the black finish is holding up well through a couple rounds. Had a few sand shots today and used my metal brush to clean out the grooves afterwards and no issue. The versatile grind has been just that. I like being able to choose the appropriate loft for the shot and all my grinds being the same.

The firmness of these is real but there is a different and slightly softer powerful feeling when struck well.

Need to clean her up but i finished my Batman “Bale” wedge today. “Keaton” will be my 58 when it arrives lol

9218f7a953bdf9797aa6874082273323.jpg

I am losing confidence quickly with the 50*, I went this route instead of set GW because in my previous setup I found the 50 to be much more versatile around the greens, though I was still able to use it as my 120 club.

According to the numbers I’m getting a full swing is only going about 108, from what I can tell due to a high launch and too high of peak height.

This is also leaving me a huge gap between PW which is around 135. Had a shot today around 105 and tried to flight it down but didn’t know what to expect, hit it fat and left it 40 yds short of the green. Just can’t do that if you want to score especially from that yardage. Lions81 even asked if it was a tweener yardage because it did not look like a confident swing.

Besides that the black finish is holding up well through a couple rounds. Had a few sand shots today and used my metal brush to clean out the grooves afterwards and no issue. The versatile grind has been just that. I like being able to choose the appropriate loft for the shot and all my grinds being the same.

The firmness of these is real but there is a different and slightly softer powerful feeling when struck well.

intriguing that the mc guys are having mixed results. for me, my ftb gw is actually shorter than the 52* king black wedge. avg 52 is 116, avg gw is 114. longest recorded with both is 117. that’s hard for me because at the yardage i usually play, i have a lot of 115-125y approach shots.

intriguing that the mc guys are having mixed results. for me, my ftb gw is actually shorter than the 52* king black wedge. avg 52 is 116, avg gw is 114. longest recorded with both is 117. that’s hard for me because at the yardage i usually play, i have a lot of 115-125y approach shots.

Wow now that is weird. I feel like my issue is I’m just hitting it too high. I need to practice more with flighting it down and have confidence. Occasionally a swing flaw brings some unwanted very bad misses when trying to do that.

On the range when I was able to sucessfully hit it lower it did get do distances I am used to seeing

Just hit the range and hit only wedges/irons. Used my SC200 today to get a rough idea of what the deal is and to get some confidence with yardages. Besides launch/ball flight being what I think is too high the max range for a full swing 50* appears to be 108-110 yds for me. This is the same exact yardage I was seeing on the Trackman Range last week so I guess that is what it is. The strange thing is the 55* on a full swing appears to be 103-105 which makes zero sense to me.

Ball flight is equally high with both wedges but something seems off with the 50. Next time I hit the range I'm going to have the loft checked. I'm hitting my irons with a decent mid-high flight as expected with the $-tour shaft. The stock DG S200 is heavier and claims to be a low launch low spin shaft so Im really confused why these are going so high. According to Trackman Range last week I had a peak height of 120ft which is about 30 ft higher than ideal.

Just hit the range and hit only wedges/irons. Used my SC200 today to get a rough idea of what the deal is and to get some confidence with yardages. Besides launch/ball flight being what I think is too high the max range for a full swing 50* appears to be 108-110 yds for me. This is the same exact yardage I was seeing on the Trackman Range last week so I guess that is what it is. The strange thing is the 55* on a full swing appears to be 103-105 which makes zero sense to me.

Ball flight is equally high with both wedges but something seems off with the 50. Next time I hit the range I'm going to have the loft checked. I'm hitting my irons with a decent mid-high flight as expected with the $-tour shaft. The stock DG S200 is heavier and claims to be a low launch low spin shaft so Im really confused why these are going so high. According to Trackman Range last week I had a peak height of 120ft which is about 30 ft higher than ideal.

yeah, something sounds off with that 50*. you're too strong of a player to be that short with it. it's not a contact issue, is it?

i had a really good day with these wedges today. short game was particular good for me. i got out of every bunker in one shot, and didn't have any bladed or flubbed chips/pitches. i also hit some nice full swing shots with the wedges as well. i'm not exactly dialed in with my partial shots yet, but i'm getting close. i think it's just an alignment thing i need to focus on.

yeah, something sounds off with that 50*. you're too strong of a player to be that short with it. it's not a contact issue, is it?

i had a really good day with these wedges today. short game was particular good for me. i got out of every bunker in one shot, and didn't have any bladed or flubbed chips/pitches. i also hit some nice full swing shots with the wedges as well. i'm not exactly dialed in with my partial shots yet, but i'm getting close. i think it's just an alignment thing i need to focus on.

Many times it can also be related to turf. What I mean by that is if season is just starting and turf is a bit different than what you are used to, this wedge sits very low to the ground (why the scallop is there for those that skipped the THP tv spot).

Easy way to see is bring the wedge to a store and ask to check loft. Then there are no question marks.

Have you checked the loft on your wedge to make sure it is correct?

Many times it can also be related to turf. What I mean by that is if season is just starting and turf is a bit different than what you are used to, this wedge sits very low to the ground (why the scallop is there for those that skipped the THP tv spot).

Easy way to see is bring the wedge to a store and ask to check loft. Then there are no question marks.

No I have been making good center contact I really think it’s a launch issue or a spin issue but I am definitely going to have the loft checked. The 55 going 103ish is about what I am used to for that wedge. I like to know my full distances even though I rarely hit a full swing wedge beyond the 50. Today’s info was based off range mats so turf was not an issue.

No I have been making good center contact I really think it’s a launch issue or a spin issue but I am definitely going to have the loft checked. The 55 going 103ish is about what I am used to for that wedge. I like to know my full distances even though I rarely hit a full swing wedge beyond the 50. Today’s info was based off range mats so turf was not an issue.

out of curiosity, do you find mat distance with wedges to be similar to the course? off mats the ball goes insanely high for me, whereas grass is usually a good bit lower.

let us know what you find when you have the lofts checked.

out of curiosity, do you find mat distance with wedges to be similar to the course? off mats the ball goes insanely high for me, whereas grass is usually a good bit lower.

let us know what you find when you have the lofts checked.

Just had the lofts checked and everything is within 0.5° of what its supposed to be so that theory is out the window. As far as distance on mats yeah for me they usually are pretty close. I am a sweeper of the golf ball so mats don't really bother me much. I saw the same ball flight on the course as well. With the the 54* distance being what I would expect on the course it baffles me as to why the 50* is only 5 yds longer.

Just had the lofts checked and everything is within 0.5° of what its supposed to be so that theory is out the window. As far as distance on mats yeah for me they usually are pretty close. I am a sweeper of the golf ball so mats don't really bother me much. I saw the same ball flight on the course as well. With the the 54* distance being what I would expect on the course it baffles me as to why the 50* is only 5 yds longer.

You’re a sweeper, that tells me you’re getting a bit of roll up the face. Slide the ball back in stance. You’ll catch the ball on the down side of the arc, crisper contact and realized distance.

For sure. I truly think it's the correct grind for me and my typical conditions. However, it's been stupid wet here so I've have hit some seriously fat full swing shots, then corrected the problem but hit them thin, and throw in some nice shots and a chip in today.....i like them. Lol its early unfortunately for us but I'm getting used to them.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

The grind should definitely be the right one for your game. When conditions firm up I bet you’ll be very happy with them. Provided they still look black by then. ;)

man do i love the 56 with classic grind. the short game area at the muni by my office has crazy tight lies, but i was able to hit pretty much any shot i wanted today. high soft, low runner, mid checker, it does it all. seriously i think the 56 might be my favorite club in the bag right now.

man do i love the 56 with classic grind. the short game area at the muni by my office has crazy tight lies, but i was able to hit pretty much any shot i wanted today. high soft, low runner, mid checker, it does it all. seriously i think the 56 might be my favorite club in the bag right now.
Interesting. I'm liking my 56 more than my 60 also....

I'm getting the opposite as you. I'm getting 130 from my OL FTB GW and 105 from my OL Versatile Grind 55° (should be 110-115)

I think the FTB is just a bit more forgiving on off center hits so I get better results. It also could be because of the bounce. Where I play it's pretty wet so the V grind on the 55° punishes harsh for anything fat. I'm thinking about buying a variable length 56° standard bounce and just grinding off some weight for my one length set. As it stands, I'm hitting most all wedge shots with the GW. I do have the WideLow 56° I may bend and grind to play as well for OL set.

All I know is I need something a bit more bouncy for where I play. (the Variable length worked well in SC though where it was dry)

Also, I hit the F8 One Length wedges and I like those too. Felt more bouncy (was a matt though)

Interesting. I'm liking my 56 more than my 60 also....

you're correct that i like my 56 best, but that doesn't mean i don't like the 60. i'm hitting good full swing shots with it, i hit a great bunker shot with it last week, the only thing lacking is the confidence on partial shots. but to be fair, i'm lacking that confidence with the 56 on the 40-60y shot.

I'm getting the opposite as you. I'm getting 130 from my OL FTB GW and 105 from my OL Versatile Grind 55° (should be 110-115)

I think the FTB is just a bit more forgiving on off center hits so I get better results. It also could be because of the bounce. Where I play it's pretty wet so the V grind on the 55° punishes harsh for anything fat. I'm thinking about buying a variable length 56° standard bounce and just grinding off some weight for my one length set. As it stands, I'm hitting most all wedge shots with the GW. I do have the WideLow 56° I may bend and grind to play as well for OL set.

All I know is I need something a bit more bouncy for where I play. (the Variable length worked well in SC though where it was dry)

Also, I hit the F8 One Length wedges and I like those too. Felt more bouncy (was a matt though)

some of the gw issue is contact, but i've hit some flushed shots that didn't go as far as i expected. i'm much more consistent with contact and distance with the 52 than the ftb gw.

i had fun with the 56 again today. this wedge makes me look like my short game is a lot better than it is! i enjoy the square to slightly open mid traj pitch that grabs and rolls like a putt.

You ready for a round next week?or still ducking me?.?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toe toe toe toe toe toe toe all I do is hit the toe of this 60. Lol. Not the 56 so much or the 52 at all. Great feel nonetheless

You ready for a round next week?or still ducking me?.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maybe this saturday if i can work out child care. you around?

Toe toe toe toe toe toe toe all I do is hit the toe of this 60. Lol. Not the 56 so much or the 52 at all. Great feel nonetheless

length? or maybe get the swing weight checked.

Back