Cobra KING Black Wedges

Hello then....SmugMug is finally unblocked at work!

DSC_0239-1-XL.jpg

DSC_0240-2-XL.jpg

DSC_0241-3-XL.jpg

DSC_0242-4-XL.jpg

DSC_0243-5-XL.jpg

DSC_0244-6-XL.jpg

DSC_0245-7-XL.jpg

DSC_0246-8-XL.jpg

DSC_0247-9-XL.jpg
On the course all day tomorrow in place of my normal 56, itll get the full workload.

First day out with this Monday and then again Tuesday. First day against my usual 56 then yesterday all day solo.

Saw a lot to like, new grooves obviously mean more spin initially but it sets up really well and even the 56 is easy to manipulate. Good flight on full swings with the TT S2 in it, and other than being too flat for me it did really well on touch shots too.

Finish is like new still, which is the first time that's been said about a Cobra wedge in the last few years imo.

I will say they're more on the firm side imo, on all swings, but that will clearly be a personal preference.

More soon.

I will say they're more on the firm side imo, on all swings, but that will clearly be a personal preference.

nice initial thoughts! would you say these felt firmer than pur?

nice initial thoughts! would you say these felt firmer than pur?
Not really, about how all versions of these wedges have felt (I've now had/bought/played all three iterations).

But the real BIG thing here isn't tech or performance wise, imo it's all about the he finish. The durability is insane, and that's what's been a killer for cobra in the past, they worse visually (not performance wise) so fast.

Not really, about how all versions of these wedges have felt (I've now had/bought/played all three iterations).

But the real BIG thing here isn't tech or performance wise, imo it's all about the he finish. The durability is insane, and that's what's been a killer for cobra in the past, they worse visually (not performance wise) so fast.

very very cool. will be fun to see some progress pics as more balls are hit.

very very cool. will be fun to see some progress pics as more balls are hit.
I'll snag some today post rounds 6-7 after I clean off the dirt.

I'll snag some today post rounds 6-7 after I clean off the dirt.
Jman what is your thoughts compared to the md4. I was waiting to see these and compare. Upgrade from md3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am very much looking forward to putting these in play. Like Jman said, the look is killer. Really eager to try various shots into and around the greens.

One of my favorite parts is the look over the ball. I was playing CBX before switching to this and they look so similar. It’s like a familiar friend all dressed up in black.

f24280f801bf3886f9d849917285a4db.jpg

One of my favorite parts is the look over the ball. I was playing CBX before switching to this and they look so similar. It’s like a familiar friend all dressed up in black.

f24280f801bf3886f9d849917285a4db.jpg

I am playing CBX as well and looking forward to some comparisons as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am playing CBX as well and looking forward to some comparisons as well.

Not going to be nearly as forgiving as the CBX, just by design alone. FWIW.

Every time I see the updated “wear” photos I’m just as pleasantly surprised as the last time. Impressive.

Second that they are not as forgiving as the CBX.

Of course it’s not as forgiving but they do have a similar look when addressing the ball. I think that alone will help inspire confidence for anyone like myself who has been gaming the CBX.

Not going to be nearly as forgiving as the CBX, just by design alone. FWIW.

Hey James...been playing RTX-3's for past year. Have you played them and any similarities? Shape in picture looks close. My biggest adjustment with the RTX-3's were IMO a heavier head weight compared to previous Vokey's. Been interested in your thought if you have gamed the RTX line.

Hey James...been playing RTX-3's for past year. Have you played them and any similarities? Shape in picture looks close. My biggest adjustment with the RTX-3's were IMO a heavier head weight compared to previous Vokey's. Been interested in your thought if you have gamed the RTX line.
Not as head heavy to me, but I play pretty heavily swing weighted clubs nowadays.

Another two rounds yesterday and I stand by the firmness comment, they're a little sharper than my usual wedges with the sound/feel, but its nothing that will bother most. Beyond that, it's the same well balanced design we have seen from Cobra the last few iterations. On the GC2 spin numbers were good, and when accounting for the new grooves they will inevitable settle into the realm of the other leading wedges for spin generation.

Neglected grabbing a pic yesterday but it looks like new still. Still impressive.

Been working this 56 hard and it's exactly what I remember from the Pur and KING iterations. Reliable, consistent, good spin, very good all around wedge.

The look is there now with a finish that wears well, and that makes these even more attractive at an already attractive price point. Literally the only potential hangup I see for some isn't even that, it's an adaptation period, and that is in the sound/feel as they're on the firm/sharp side.

I'm going to go grab and clean up the wedge for pics with iirc 8 rounds and a couple practice sessions on it now.

I like the looks of these new Cobra wedges to add one to the bag this spring. Maybe a 60*.

So, got this cleaned up and....

There is some finish wear.

Its not nearly as noticeable as any other black wedge I've played, but its there in some spots. At first glance it looks almost rusty, but I think it actually looks more coppery coming through in some spots.

I'm now waiting until daylight tomorrow to snap some pics to really show what I'm seeing.

Wanted to bump this about the finish.

I'll get the pics up later, but I wanted to clarify it's not anything like your typical black wedge wear, it really does look like copper coming through in a few places. I've put it through the wringer thought to see if I could make it wear, from rough, to clay, to hard pan, to bunkers, to partially submerged, to plugged lies, I've tried to wear it out.

Pics today, I promise.

Wanted to bump this about the finish.

I'll get the pics up later, but I wanted to clarify it's not anything like your typical black wedge wear, it really does look like copper coming through in a few places. I've put it through the wringer thought to see if I could make it wear, from rough, to clay, to hard pan, to bunkers, to partially submerged, to plugged lies, I've tried to wear it out.

Pics today, I promise.

Really looking forward to your pics!

i've got an honest 500+ shots on my 56° wide low. It's more of a dark grey color when it wears, looks sexy though. Since it's raw after the 20um DBM finish wears down you do have a chance for rust. Compared to the black finish on other top OEM wedges, this finish lasted the longest by far.

I sprayed some water on mine and let it sit outside overnight to see if I could rust it up nicely. It worked but the rust came off after about 50 balls today.

Sorry I missed the pics guys. We took the twins on a whirlwind tour of grandparents last night.

CK pretty much nailed it, upon closer inspection, it's tiny spots of rust. Going to hit them with some steel wool and see what happens.

Additionally, yes, it wears much better than any other black wedge I've had in hand or bag, including my MD4's which were until this the most durable I'd seen.

Well kids, I happened to get a nice big heavy box of wedges today from CPG Carlsbad!!!!!!!!! There will be pics and initial thoughts coming in the next day. Will hopefully be heading to the range here today or tomorrow to get some work in on them comparing the to my current setup. The Morgan Cup.....is in full EFFECT!!!

Screw work......
1aec02a39c0d014cc5cfff332a27ce54.jpg
517f0a38c5b7be5bfe4bd22a9b72a823.jpg
a1456c6e3e6d4b9c63237b9b8550bf55.jpg
e0843a2e475f987bad41dabffbd883ee.jpg

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Back