Cobra KING Black Wedges

My 50* was a CBX and my 54* was a set XR OS. The UST Recoil 95 is heavier then what I am used to as I had a lighter weight graphite in both the others but I was not really effected by it. I quite enjoyed these heads paired with the Recoil 95s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my wedges came today in the box with my irons. what an awesome surprise!

i ordered 52v, 56c and 60c, all 2* flat, and all with kbs $ taper regular+ flex. that shaft did not end up being available, so mine have the stock s200 black shaft.

the shape is a little different. not a complete departure from the classic teardrop, but slightly modified. to my eye, the toe seems a little higher if that makes sense.

i worked these in with my full swing testing. i fell right into step perfectly. zero learning curve. just high, powerful flight with great spin.

i too saw a tendency to draw more than i wanted. but there was a wind off the right, so that wasn’t helping. ill monitor that.

high, low, left, right, these can do it all. very dense and powerful feel, like the kft black. i loved it.

then i took the 60 and did short game work under the light. wow. just wow! the classic grind, maybe even in combo with the 2* flat lie angle, had me hitting the softest, most pure pitches i’ve hit in a very long time. sweet spot contact, sole just bounced softly off the extremely tight lies around the chipping area. i could take it up high, or hit the low skidder. touch was tremendous. confidence is really high right now!

there has been mention of a harder feel. i’m not discrediting anybody’s perception, but for me i loved the feel. it might not be as soft as my jdm wedges, but i still really liked the king black. a lot!

man oh man. my bag is so exciting right now!

EDIT: classic grind, not versatile. my bad

I'm so jealous of you guys! I went everywhere today, looking for these and couldn't find them anywhere.

Can you guys compare these to the SM6's, MD3's, RTX-3's, or the Milled Grind. I gamed all those last year.

How's the low hop and stop shot?

I'm so jealous of you guys! I went everywhere today, looking for these and couldn't find them anywhere.

Can you guys compare these to the SM6's, MD3's, RTX-3's, or the Milled Grind. I gamed all those last year.

Maybe because they haven’t supplied Alaska yet?

I think these just released yesterday so probably not in many shelves anywhere yet.

I have an SM5 so I’ll snap a pic of the heads beside each other.
The low hop and stop is a shot I enjoy to hit so I’ll let you know as soon as I get on the course!

I got the 50 & 54 degree wedges with my Morgan Cup setup and love these things. Great trajectory control from full shots through the green. Comparing them to the SM6’s that were in my bag prior, I prefer the flight, feel, and spin of these over them. Green side they have a great feel to them and easy to hit the low runner or the Philsy flop. Both are the versatile grind with 10 den of bounce, and the 54 just glides through the sand in green side bunkers. These are gonna be the smoothest transition in wedges I’ve ever had and I’ve played Vokeys since they first came out.

Having owned/played all of these, I'll double back and answer this tomorrow for you!

My current gamers are RTX3s for the last year. Prior to the RTX I games Bridgestone J40 and J15 for the better part of 4 years. The King black have a firmer feel than the RTX3.
The king blacks are brand new so the spin is excellent. I still have the same shots with these that I’ve had with other wedges. The versatile grind played well off firm conditions during my last round.
Overall I have to say the only negative would be the firmness. But I don’t think of that as a negative as much as something new.

it's been awhile since i gamed anything in the sm line, maybe going back to the first few iterations of spin milled. i also gamed md3 and really enjoyed them, particular in the w grind.

to me, the king black are a very different feel. i attribute it to the dbm finish. it's very dense. i don't find it hard or clicky, just solid. it's definitely not soft. personally, i loved the feel from the very first strike.

on the spin side, any new wedges are going to spin well for you, and ultimately spin for me is so much more about the quality of strike than anything else. early testing says these spin as well as anything on the market.

First day out with the 54* today and it was sweet... hit about 50 chips using my current CBX and my new King black and honestly I love the feel of the King better. The head feels a bit heavier and I have a better sense of where the club head is, if that makes sense. I was a bit more consistent with the CBX but I caulk that up to more user time with that club, but the last 20ish chips (25yds) with King I'd say I hit half within 4' and for the first time using.... I'd say it was pretty good. Now, I just need to make time to practice.

another chipping session, this time with the 56. i am so incredibly impressed with this release. i was, um, less than thrilled with the performance i got out of the pur lineup. in retrospect, i just picked the wrong grind. the way i come into the ball, i need some bounce and a more rounded sole. maybe that's why i loved the w grind in another oem's wedges. my struggles have been with a wedge that has more of a d grind, and that flat sole has been brutal for me. the more rounded sole of the classic grind on this king black comes in beautifully, bounces off the surface, and produces a soft shot with insane amounts of spin.

my first test on the course with these wedges will be next week. i'm expecting GREAT things!

i am in love with the feel of these. they’re going to get a workout next week and it’s going to be a ton of fun.

i am in love with the feel of these. they’re going to get a workout next week and it’s going to be a ton of fun.

I brought my 56° Widelow with me as a "try it" club for others to play down in SC. The feedback from everyone I let use it was pretty positive. A lot of them were playing older wedges and were honest about saying they would never have thought of Cobra for wedges. The Black head Shaft combo really makes it easy for people to fall in love with.

I'm headed back this week to SC so I'll bring it again and I'm ready for people to try my One Length wedges too (I wanted to get it broken in first)

Played at harmony today and these were put to the test. They have a bit of a harder feel than the RTX3 but still provide great touch around the greens. I find on full shots they don’t move to far off their ball mark.

I’m adding a 58* after #thpmc for the shot in close and around the greens. I think a little more Beyoncé will serve me well.

Played at harmony today and these were put to the test. They have a bit of a harder feel than the RTX3 but still provide great touch around the greens. I find on full shots they don’t move to far off their ball mark.

I’m adding a 58* after #thpmc for the shot in close and around the greens. I think a little more Beyoncé will serve me well.
Definitely more firm than the RTX3's, also than the SM's and MD4's I worked them against for review. But as I mentioned in there, I think whatever the feel does, or doesn't do, for people the finish MORE than makes up for. Best black wedge finish ever. Yeah, I said it.

Can't wait for everyone to read the review.

i could use a lot more beyonce in my life, but(t) for other reasons.

feel is so subjective, and i don't discredit anyone else's perception. for me, these feel better than the most recent sm i hit (maybe sm6), or the md3, or even the grindworks i had. are they softer? i wouldn't say that. they're just different, like you and i texted they are "dense" and i guess that's a feel/sound that i like a lot.

btw how was harmony? i played out there with @jim54 and @dhartmann34 and honestly it was really rough. i felt bad because those guys recommended royal st cloud, and i convinced them to come to harmony.

Definitely more firm than the RTX3's, also than the SM's and MD4's I worked them against for review. But as I mentioned in there, I think whatever the feel does, or doesn't do, for people the finish MORE than makes up for. Best black wedge finish ever. Yeah, I said it.

Can't wait for everyone to read the review.

I got tons of compliments on the look of these today. So you are correct!!

It was rough...but such a great layout! I enjoyed the day and am glad we played.

My instructor up here actually passed his PAT at Harmony. He's was sad to see it in it's current condition when he was down there last year.
i could use a lot more beyonce in my life, but(t) for other reasons.

feel is so subjective, and i don't discredit anyone else's perception. for me, these feel better than the most recent sm i hit (maybe sm6), or the md3, or even the grindworks i had. are they softer? i wouldn't say that. they're just different, like you and i texted they are "dense" and i guess that's a feel/sound that i like a lot.

btw how was harmony? i played out there with @jim54 and @dhartmann34 and honestly it was really rough. i felt bad because those guys recommended royal st cloud, and i convinced them to come to harmony.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Probably the best looking wedge on the market right now. Can't wait to hit one and see how they feel.

Something I'm curious about (conference call idea maybe?) is why the options for ONE Length are so limited (grind and loft). I could see if it was just about consumer demand, but I'd think it wouldn't hurt to have all the options. Then I wonder if there's too much effort that goes into weight balancing and other fine tuning for the OL. I know you can do like ChristopherKee did, bending the 56 to 55, so your set goes 50/55/60, but that still doesn't answer why only Versatile grind is available.

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for these choices, I just don't have enough knowledge to figure it out on my own.

Something I'm curious about (conference call idea maybe?) is why the options for ONE Length are so limited (grind and loft). I could see if it was just about consumer demand, but I'd think it wouldn't hurt to have all the options. Then I wonder if there's too much effort that goes into weight balancing and other fine tuning for the OL. I know you can do like ChristopherKee did, bending the 56 to 55, so your set goes 50/55/60, but that still doesn't answer why only Versatile grind is available.

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for these choices, I just don't have enough knowledge to figure it out on my own.

i think it's 100% inventory management.

i did some pitching, a little sand work and some full swings with the 56. i just love the overall package. it looks amazing, it feels incredibly well balanced in the hands, and the feel of the face is everything i could want. honestly, i never felt that way about the purs. but for what i like, the king black nailed the feel.

even with the 56, i was able to hit some monster flops on the range. the true test will be to see what happens in play, as my short game has really regressed lately. but the confidence i'm building on the range is exciting.

I get lucky sometimes.

Sometimes? Try most of the time! And it helps that Cobra made some damn sexy wedges.

Sometimes? Try most of the time! And it helps that Cobra made some damn sexy wedges.
I talk about it in the review, but I think both Cobra and W/S are on to something with their wedge release philosophy. Three iterations of the same design have come out, why? Because 1) the base design is good and underappreciated and 2) people LOVE new finish options.

Back