PING G400 Max Driver - THP Review Thread

Keeping this thread alive here haha! Played 18 yesterday, hit 4/7 on front 9 3 of which were 295 middle of fairway. All I can say is just loving my 10.5 on small minus with Ping tour shaft stiff at 44.75”. Perfect combo for me. Back nine also had some 300 yard bombs but started to struggle as I lost my tempo (go figure 😜) anyway great driver that still holds up and goes LONG AND STRAIGHT. Will be my 2020 for sure.

2 years with the Max..down the middle and long..playing Titleist AVX's now.
Oh wait..
FedEx says theres a Ventus Blue 6S on the way getting here Saturday..
XMas comes early this year!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still baffles me that ping did not offer a higher loft option in their highest moi driver ever.

seems like a big miss for slower swingers, and those who need a little extra launch.

and yeah I’ve tried the 10.5 lofted up.
Low hook machine.

Tried it versus my Callaway Epic Flash. Neither one is qiuiet or that dreaded muted sound I don’t like.
The Ping sounds Anser like to me and looks more toylike than the previous G line offerings. Loved the PIng 30.
The Ping was spinner and not as forgiving on mishits as the Flash. I know others claim it’s so forgiving but I felt on mishits I hit pop flies where the Flash mishits are almost as long as well struck ones. Number one difference that keeps it in my bag.

Tried it versus my Callaway Epic Flash. Neither one is qiuiet or that dreaded muted sound I don’t like.
The Ping sounds Anser like to me and looks more toylike than the previous G line offerings. Loved the PIng 30.
The Ping was spinner and not as forgiving on mishits as the Flash. I know others claim it’s so forgiving but I felt on mishits I hit pop flies where the Flash mishits are almost as long as well struck ones. Number one difference that keeps it in my bag.

Tee the Ping lower, Try it at 9 degrees.

I've used a 9 degree G400 and now 400 Max at 9 deg for what, 3 yrs now. My SS is only 90-93 mph at the moment, and on decent hits I get a mid to high flight and 230-238 carry. My launch is 16 degrees, spin around 2400-2500 (you need spin at lower speeds). I set up to hit high and keep spin down.

While I love the feel of the Mavrik, my son is trying it out, I know what the Ping gives me. Yes, you can feel good and poor hits with it. The feel is not Mavrik-soft. But gosh, it's long and dependable.

I've used a 9 degree G400 and now 400 Max at 9 deg for what, 3 yrs now. My SS is only 90-93 mph at the moment, and on decent hits I get a mid to high flight and 230-238 carry. My launch is 16 degrees, spin around 2400-2500 (you need spin at lower speeds). I set up to hit high and keep spin down.

That’s crazy carry for 90-93 mph I wouldn’t touch that setup EVER.

I’ve been around 88-92 myself and good driver shots I’m seeing 200-210 carries and 230-240 total here in Ohio. I’ve tried every driver out there and this is where I seem to top out no matter the club (Flash, Fusion, EXS220, SZ Xtreme, G410, etc).

I finally sold my G400 Max as the G410 LST was just as forgiving and longer for me. It sounds much better as well and feels better coming off the face. I also do like the flat setting on the new adapter...game changer as my miss with any driver has always been the dreaded duck hook which the flat setting has eliminated for me completely.

The Ping G400 Max will go down as one of the greatest drivers of all time though.

I went through a fitting consultation this morning and he thought the G400 MAX head works for me and was spinning much lower than my other Rogue driver. I justt need to find a different shaft. He recommended I step up to the stiff Alta from the regular for more stability. He did have me hit the G410 with the stiff Alta for a comparison. Now I just need to find one somewhere since he also told me they were unable to order shafts with the 400 tip on it if I understood him correctly.

I went through a fitting consultation this morning and he thought the G400 MAX head works for me and was spinning much lower than my other Rogue driver. I justt need to find a different shaft. He recommended I step up to the stiff Alta from the regular for more stability. He did have me hit the G410 with the stiff Alta for a comparison. Now I just need to find one somewhere since he also told me they were unable to order shafts with the 400 tip on it if I understood him correctly.
I think he is right - the 409 and 410 adapters differ

I think he is right - the 409 and 410 adapters differ
yeah the tips are different but he made it sound like they couldn't even order anything for the 400 series directly from Ping any longer. I just bought a shaft pull off of eBay and a LH tip from Golfworks so once those arrive I should be ready to give it a whirl.

Not gonna lie. Have a G410 plus, which is nice, but I’m VERY TEMPTED to unload the 410 and nab a Max again. Just so good.

That’s crazy carry for 90-93 mph I wouldn’t touch that setup EVER.

I’ve been around 88-92 myself and good driver shots I’m seeing 200-210 carries and 230-240 total here in Ohio. I’ve tried every driver out there and this is where I seem to top out no matter the club (Flash, Fusion, EXS220, SZ Xtreme, G410, etc).

I do use a TPT Red Shaft ... that is new

Not gonna lie. Have a G410 plus, which is nice, but I’m VERY TEMPTED to unload the 410 and nab a Max again. Just so good.
If there was ever a driver I would go back to it would be a G400 Max. Just to much forgiveness and consistency.

When I had my fitting this morning. It was a brief session but the guy didn't even try to talk about getting me to spend $400 for a new driver. We really focused on shaft options for my Max. The downside is that they didn't have any shafts that would actually work in my MAX because the tip is different so we played around with a few different shafts in the 410. I took a couple of swings with the Tensei Orange but ultimately he thought I just needed to go from the Regular to Stiff Alta in the end. I'm getting a pull from eBay. With tip and grip it will run me about $70 bucks. I already have a regular X-Torsion on order as well that should also help be more stable. I'm also going to re-tip my Helium Proto in order to give it a try as well. 2nd Swing has some Kuro Kage shafts for cheap with Ping tips. I'm tempted to give one of those a try too.

Overall the head is spinning much less than my rogue so I'm getting more distance. It is now down to finding the right shaft combination for dispersion and stability since the R flex Alta is just to whippy for me. He basically said today that I have a hard transition at the top in my swing and the R shaft is having a hard time catching up.

When I had my fitting this morning. It was a brief session but the guy didn't even try to talk about getting me to spend $400 for a new driver. We really focused on shaft options for my Max. The downside is that they didn't have any shafts that would actually work in my MAX because the tip is different so we played around with a few different shafts in the 410. I took a couple of swings with the Tensei Orange but ultimately he thought I just needed to go from the Regular to Stiff Alta in the end. I'm getting a pull from eBay. With tip and grip it will run me about $70 bucks. I already have a regular X-Torsion on order as well that should also help be more stable. I'm also going to re-tip my Helium Proto in order to give it a try as well. 2nd Swing has some Kuro Kage shafts for cheap with Ping tips. I'm tempted to give one of those a try too.

Overall the head is spinning much less than my rogue so I'm getting more distance. It is now down to finding the right shaft combination for dispersion and stability since the R flex Alta is just to whippy for me. He basically said today that I have a hard transition at the top in my swing and the R shaft is having a hard time catching up.

I found the KK TiNi Silver gave much better dispersion at the cost of a few yards compared to the stock Alta, which also worked well for me

Glad you got to spend some time trying different stuff out. PING stock options are usually pretty solid. All the talk in here is making me nostalgic for my G400 Max.

Resurrecting this thread…..I’m still gaming my 9 degree 400 Max head. Just can’t a find better more reliable driver. Demoed the new Sim 2 Max. Nope. Demoed the G425 Max. Nope. Demoed the Radspeed XB. Nope. None out performed the 400 Max. The Titleist TSi 1 is intriguing. Haven’t tried this one yet. It has a super light 40 gram shaft. I don’t have a super night swing speed. I keep it in play and like it down the middle. Probably why I have kept this club in the bag so long. Still love it.

Has anyone tried a super light weight shaft on
G400 Max head? I play the original Alta CB 55 stiff on it. Tried some other shafts but this one has worked best. Trying to gain some club head speed. I’m wondering if an super light shaft might do the trick. Picked one up on eBay from House or Forged. A Superlite 45. Got it for a great deal. Tip installed. Will have it next week. If I get any replies to this post I’ll report back on how it goes!

362FA573-B257-4194-BE95-46DC4EA69A1F.jpeg

Jason89er - I am trying a similar experiment with my G400 driver (not Max), which came with an Alta CB 55 regular. I love the driver as is, but after reading and seeing all of the buzz about the Autoflex shaft, decided to try something lighter and more flexible, so I picked up a Distanza with the G400 tip on eBay. I tried the shaft the other day for the first time with inconclusive results. Among other things, my swing was off, I was rushed and didn't warm up properly. I have a slow swing speed of about 75 mph with the driver.

A couple of data points, however is that (i) my longest carry by about 5-yards was with the Distanza, (ii) smash factor seemed to be slightly lower with the Distanza and (iii) shots had more dispersion with the Distanza, but nothing which couldn't be worked out with more time on the shaft.

Owing to the lighter weight of the shaft, I could feel the clubhead more with the Distanza. Anxious to hear how you make out.

I was fitted into Xtorsion copper stiff with my G400max a few years back. Every once in a while I watch/read reviews of other drivers, but then I play a round and typically hit 10 out of 14 fairways. Like some others, my SS is low 90's, a typical drive is usually about 225 dead straight. I figure I might pick up a few yards if I changed shafts but I doubt it'll jump to like 250 so instead I have concentrated on hybrids through the mid irons to help with approaches.

I was fitted into Xtorsion copper stiff with my G400max a few years back. Every once in a while I watch/read reviews of other drivers, but then I play a round and typically hit 10 out of 14 fairways. Like some others, my SS is low 90's, a typical drive is usually about 225 dead straight. I figure I might pick up a few yards if I changed shafts but I doubt it'll jump to like 250 so instead I have concentrated on hybrids through the mid irons to help with approaches.

Yup. Sounds just like me. I use Arccos with the sensors you can move from one club to the other. I used Global Golfs UTry program so I had both for 2 weeks and played at least 3-4 rounds with each. Radspeed XB and Sim 2 Max I picked up around 15 yards on average. But my fairways went way down. Especially with the Sim. Prob by 30-40%. Yeah it was only a couple weeks and I didn’t get a fitting done or anything. But with the Max I miss maybe 2-3 fairways a round. And usually because of a poor swing. Not the club.

Ive gotten my HCP down to 14.5 this year. I need to get some short irons in my hands on approach shots if I’m gonna get to single digits. Like you I have hybrids. Not a fan of long irons but I have fairway woods I’ve gotten pretty good with. I use a 7 and 9 wood with no shame lol.

I’ve made swing changes with Driver in the past that nets some distance but I’m not willing to stay with anything that impacts my control that severely. I watch my buddies smash it 280 but half (or more) are in the woods/bad spot ect. No thanks. So I’m looking to keep that control and get a few more yards with a shaft change. I will prob end up getting a driver fitting done. But this shaft I got for a steal so I’m gonna try it out.

Back