PING G400 Max Driver - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review is the new G400 Max diver from PING, and its a club that has already generated a lot of opinions and discussion not just on THP, but elsewhere as well. I fully acknowledge that we do have a thread already, but much of it was discussion about what the club would be, so it makes sense to me to have a clean slate, and I truly encourage others to jump in here with their thoughts as I know many THP'ers have hit it, and some have already bought it. .

For me, this is exciting as the standard G400 took my golf bag by storm this fall and has been pretty entrenched there. Much of that was the 440cc head, but also the amount of forgiveness PING managed in that design, so to see/hear from them that they have amplified that by producing a 460cc G400 is super intriguing to me, and why I hoped THP would be jumping in on a review of the Max since we didn't on the standard G400. There is a story here, and we golfers love stories, and I love breaking down those stories.

Information from PING on the G400 Max Driver:

Introducing a great fit for players looking to add distance through unprecedented stability and forgiveness. Longer, straighter drives result from the highest total MOI ever in a PING driver, the function of extreme tungsten weighting and a higher-density backweight in the multi-material 460cc design.
Larger Profile - This illustration shows how the deeper profile compares to the G400 standard driver, the 460cc head featuring Dragonfly Technology to thin the crown and position the CG low for maximizing MOI. The textured crown and infinity edge form a pleasing address view.
Satisfying Sound - Research and computer simulation coupled with music theory inspired PING engineers to patent a rib architecture that fine-tuned the frequencies to produce a deeper, more muted sound while also enhancing feel.
MOI to the Max - Keeping the forged face thin creates more discretionary weight. This allows for considerable tungsten weighting and a higher-density back weight to achieve a combined MOI over 9,900 and the deepest CG ever, producing the tightest dispersion in golf.
Forged to Flex - The thin T9S+ forged face flexes more to ramp up ball speed for generating consistently long, straight drives. Also, the face is textured to increase friction for reducing spin, and a new face pattern forms a captured look with the ball.

Fast Shape - The G400 Max sports a sleek, highly aerodynamic speed-inducing shape. The domed crown combines with bolder turbulators to reduce drag and generate significant clubhead speed and ball velocity for ensuring distance with stability.

LOFTADJUSTABILITYLENGTHLIEHEAD WEIGHTHEAD SIZESWING WEIGHT
9.0°±1°45 3/4"58.0°206.0g460ccD3
10.5°±1°45 3/4"58.0°206.0g460ccD3

Shaft Options - PING Alta CB55, PING Tour 65, PING Tour 75, Alta Distanza 40g, Aldila X-Torsion Copper, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Dual-Core TiNi, ProjectX HZRDUS Yellow

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0208-XL.jpg

DSC_0196-XL.jpg

DSC_0198-XL.jpg

DSC_0199-XL.jpg

DSC_0200-XL.jpg

DSC_0201-XL.jpg

DSC_0202-XL.jpg

DSC_0203-XL.jpg

DSC_0204-XL.jpg

DSC_0205-XL.jpg

DSC_0206-XL.jpg

DSC_0207-XL.jpg

DSC_0209-XL.jpg

Last edited:
  • Staff
Got out with this today, no GC2 today, but I have some thoughts. I'll update soon after I get some housekeeping items done.

More importantly, as I said in the OP, for all those who have hit the Max, or bought it, please feel free to use this thread to post all the feedback, just believed we needed a clean slate!

Thanks, James. Looking forward very much to your initial thoughts. The content of your reviews is very relevant to the typical THPer. Very few clubs have felt instantly comfortable when I have tried them, but this is one of them. And the ProTracer data yesterday bore that out.

Great pics as always!!! Looking forward to your thoughts.

Is the max meant to have any inherent draw bias over the G400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
Is the max meant to have any inherent draw bias over the G400?

Nope, nothing like the SFT.

To my eye, it sets up neutral to maybe slightly closed, but after hitting it today, its not draw biased.

I'll add though, and I'll get into this more soon, if you are expecting that beautiful sound of the G400 to be here too....don't.

I gave one of these a waggle at Roger Dunn the other day, and visually it messed with me a bit especially having gamed the OG G400 since July. I'm definitely interested to see some performance numbers especially compared to the standard G400.

Looking forward to what you think about the Max. Pictures are great, can't wait to hear your thoughts vs the G400, I've read how much you and a lot of others here love it. I'm waiting for mine to come, I ordered one Friday, 9* with Alta. My Epic saga is coming to an end after a lot of good times, and some very frustrating ones. Hard to believe the G400 was never reviewed here. One of the top 3 OEM's releases a new driver line featuring a 445cc head in 3 versions, (in JULY, no less. Not exactly a rush of new releases then) and they're not worthy of a review. Makes me wonder why not?

• Staff
Looking forward to what you think about the Max. Pictures are great, can't wait to hear your thoughts vs the G400, I've read how much you and a lot of others here love it. I'm waiting for mine to come, I ordered one Friday, 9* with Alta. My Epic saga is coming to an end after a lot of good times, and some very frustrating ones. Hard to believe the G400 was never reviewed here. One of the top 3 OEM's releases a new driver line featuring a 445cc head in 3 versions, (in JULY, no less. Not exactly a rush of new releases then) and they're not worthy of a review. Makes me wonder why not?

I can answer that, because I got one and posted a metric TON of feedback on it in the thread, the only thing I didn't do was button it into a homepage article. But, the traffic to that thread doesn't lie, people read it and many joined in on the fun. Not a big deal IMO.

I can answer that, because I got one and posted a metric TON of feedback on it in the thread, the only thing I didn't do was button it into a homepage article. But, the traffic to that thread doesn't lie, people read it and many joined in on the fun. Not a big deal IMO.

Few equipment threads have been as thorough imo. That's the main reason the G400 is on the short list to demo this year. I was married to the F7 for 2017 but am going to start looking around. The comments on the sound were a major draw so I'm curious to hear more from your findings on the Max.

Not saying there wasn't a lot of info, much of it provided by you, and others who started various threads in here. It was actually you putting it in your bag and talking about it that piqued my interest. That being said, no official review was a mistake in my mind. Hey, it happens, and in my 63 years, I've learned when it does, better to admit it, and then move on rather then making believe it didn't happen. That said, on to this review... Looking forward to it!

Good news, tons of great info on THP for the club you are looking for.
Before people continue to go conspiracy theory, there isnt one on the Epic either...

Nope, nothing like the SFT.

To my eye, it sets up neutral to maybe slightly closed, but after hitting it today, its not draw biased.

I'll add though, and I'll get into this more soon, if you are expecting that beautiful sound of the G400 to be here too....don't.

Yes the sound is different, not in a bad way though, the sound is louder though and is not off putting though.

i do like the lighter face on this over the g400.

Yes the sound is different, not in a bad way though, the sound is louder though and is not off putting though.

Will definitely be in the ear of the beholder IMO.

Its not G or G30 loud, that is for sure. But there is a certain hollowness to it that the standard G400 lacks. That's for certain.

Will definitely be in the ear of the beholder IMO.

Its not G or G30 loud, that is for sure. But there is a certain hollowness to it that the standard G400 lacks. That's for certain.

Yes that's the sound that I get , it's amazing that the 2 heads sound so different with only a 15cc size difference.
I hated the G & G30 sound. I will put up with the slightly different sound as the driver is working for me.

Yes that's the sound that I get , it's amazing that the 2 heads sound so different with only a 15cc size difference.
I hated the G & G30 sound. I will put up with the slightly different sound as the driver is working for me.

Agreed on the G/G30, they were THONK-y (technical term, hahahaha)

Here though, though its different, people should NOT put it into the same category as those two. PING has come a long way acoustically in one generation (I count all the G400's as one), and it took them long enough.

Totally agree with both you and Jman about the sound...

Also of note, PING specs this as a D3 setup, and the one I have here with the Alta CB was spot on D3.

My last 3 drivers, counting the Max which hasn't arrived yet, were the Great Big Bertha, and the Epic. What always confused me was the difference in feel when I hit them best. With the GBB I could almost sense the ball compressing. with the Epic, I'd have a split second of panic, thinking I mishit it, only to see that it was one of my better hits. Maybe that firmer feel was the Jailbreak technology, I don't know. When I first tried the Max, the sound threw me off a bit, but I got that feel I did with the GBB. Once I saw I was getting Epic numbers with the feel I liked in the GBB, I knew I had my driver. Best part, with only a slight loft adjustment my fitter was able to get me slightly better numbers then I had with both distance wise and much better dispersion then I had with the others. Now if only the "new club magic" can last a while...

My last 3 drivers, counting the Max which hasn't arrived yet, were the Great Big Bertha, and the Epic. What always confused me was the difference in feel when I hit them best. With the GBB I could almost sense the ball compressing. with the Epic, I'd have a split second of panic, thinking I mishit it, only to see that it was one of my better hits. Maybe that firmer feel was the Jailbreak technology, I don't know. When I first tried the Max, the sound threw me off a bit, but I got that feel I did with the GBB. Once I saw I was getting Epic numbers with the feel I liked in the GBB, I knew I had my driver. Best part, with only a slight loft adjustment my fitter was able to get me slightly better numbers then I had with both distance wise and much better dispersion then I had with the others. Now if only the "new club magic" can last a while...

I had a similar experience with my current GBB, the Rogue Draw, and the G400 Max yesterday. I always liked the feel of compression/flex with the GBB, but by comparison, the Rogue felt like I was striking a stainless steel ball bearing with an anvil - it all felt too rigid for my taste. (I'm exaggerating for effect here.) For me, the Max merged the distance of the GBB with the dispersion of the Rogue in a slightly straighter ball flight. But now the SFT talk has me intrigued.

Off to that thread. . . .

I had a similar experience with my current GBB, the Rogue Draw, and the G400 Max yesterday. I always liked the feel of compression/flex with the GBB, but by comparison, the Rogue felt like I was striking a stainless steel ball bearing with an anvil - it all felt too rigid for my taste. (I'm exaggerating for effect here.) For me, the Max merged the distance of the GBB with the dispersion of the Rogue in a slightly straighter ball flight. But now the SFT talk has me intrigued.

LMAO Very funny... The search never ends...

1. Great pics
2. You had me at longer and straighter

1. Great pics
2. You had me at longer and straighter

Never mind with this driver. I'll probably sell you mine cheap in a month or two. LOL. Hop over to the baseball thread and tell me about Mickey Callaway. Is he going to be able to keep my pitching staff healthy?

Traded the 400 SFT for the Max. No regrets.

It is definitely louder sounding than the g400, and doesn’t feel quite as good. However, this thing just goes straight and high. Didn’t think I was getting enough distance the other day, but I poked one out at about 280 today , so I will take that. This thing is great, exudes confidence, and I really feel like I can go after it. I was going to do a two driver setup with the 400 and the max, but I think this is the only driver that I need.

Back