Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

I had a set of black irons before, but the finish wore off fairly early so if the DBM finish holds up, this set will be intense.

Those are beautiful!

Can't get over how good these look. Since it looks like I'll be playing a Cobra driver this year I might have to give these a serious hard ponder

Love the way these irons look. Can't wait to hear more about them

You're about due for some new Cobras too :good:

No kidding! I just need a way to get them for free :act-up:

The wife would be less than pleased if I spend a grand on new clubs... A guy can dream though

I've day dreamed a lot about this setup if it were made available to me as a Morgan Cup setup. I'd likely go 5-PW with the Forged Tec Black and throw in a 4u. I love my 4i in my Forged TOUR set but I just need a little more distance out of it to help space out the top of my bag, this 4u should fill that role perfectly! Wedges I think I'll be going back to a 52, 56, 60 setup. Last year I went away from that to a 50, 54, 58 and I struggled a bit with that adjustment. Going back to a wedge setup I've used for years will be a welcome transition back.

I've day dreamed a lot about this setup if it were made available to me as a Morgan Cup setup. I'd likely go 5-PW with the Forged Tec Black and throw in a 4u. I love my 4i in my Forged TOUR set but I just need a little more distance out of it to help space out the top of my bag, this 4u should fill that role perfectly! Wedges I think I'll be going back to a 52, 56, 60 setup. Last year I went away from that to a 50, 54, 58 and I struggled a bit with that adjustment. Going back to a wedge setup I've used for years will be a welcome transition back.

If I got in I think I would rock this exact same set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reading what i could find around the net about these irons, i came across this statement " DBM isn’t a coating or plating. It’s a process where black material is actually deeply embedded into the steel itself. The embedding process can only be done with carbon steel, and it functionally changes the surface hardness."

The surface hardness caught my attention, as i use to wonder why clubs who had a black coating didn't use a nitride like process, same process that is on 90% of my handguns, and also some rifle barrels as they are all nitrided or a similar process.

reading what i could find around the net about these irons, i came across this statement " DBM isn’t a coating or plating. It’s a process where black material is actually deeply embedded into the steel itself. The embedding process can only be done with carbon steel, and it functionally changes the surface hardness."

The surface hardness caught my attention, as i use to wonder why clubs who had a black coating didn't use a nitride like process, same process that is on 90% of my handguns, and also some rifle barrels as they are all nitrided or a similar process.

If you click on the link in the first post, we actually have all of that information as well as a video with Jose from Cobra talking about how it is done and what happens with time.

If you click on the link in the first post, we actually have all of that information as well as a video with Jose from Cobra talking about how it is done and what happens with time.

Yes i read that original post , and watched the video but i never heard or read anything about it affecting the hardness of the metal. I guess my point is saying DBM sounds very similar to nitride treatment which has been around a fairly long time. I always assumed golf companies did not use nitride because of it's surface hardening effects , and maybe in some way altering the performance of the club head. Would be very interesting to see how the two processes compare.

Last edited:
You think this iron release will finally get Lexi out of those S2's?

Offset looks so good, wonder how the spin will be?

webimage-22B6F85E-2284-4871-B3D405D82B50B7CC.png

Last edited:

It’s the same process used for black irons by Maltby (DBM irons, MMB irons, PTM irons), is extremely wear resistant, and does increase surface hardness.

https://www.golfworks.ca/images/art/2013_article_DBM.pdf

These look awesome to me and I'm certainly intrigued at the one length irons. Anyone have experience with how the forged tec lineup has compared to the srixon offerings?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

These look awesome to me and I'm certainly intrigued at the one length irons. Anyone have experience with how the forged tec lineup has compared to the srixon offerings?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would say similar in that the 565 lines up well with them in terms of forgiveness.

I would say similar in that the 565 lines up well with them in terms of forgiveness.

i would say that the previous kft were a lot like the 565 in a lot of respects. very good comparison.

God they are so gorgeous.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I just wonder if they are forgiving enough for me to play them. I hope so, because they are my favorite irons based on looks alone!

Very curious to read how these stack up to your current gamers

i would say that the previous kft were a lot like the 565 in a lot of respects. very good comparison.
That's actually really surprising. I didn't think these would be as forgiving as the 565's. Good news.

That's actually really surprising. I didn't think these would be as forgiving as the 565's. Good news.

Yeah, I immediately compared the previous forged offering from Cobra to the 565s when I tried them out last year.
I bet the ForgedTEC Black are much better. I can't wait to demo them!

Yeah, I immediately compared the previous forged offering from Cobra to the 565s when I tried them out last year.
I bet the ForgedTEC Black are much better. I can't wait to demo them!
Looking forward to your thoughts. The F7 Forged felt awesome! This finish looks incredible. I'm hoping to see some locally in the demo area soon. I want to compare them to my CF 16's. Cobra has been on a tear!

Looking forward to your thoughts. The F7 Forged felt awesome! This finish looks incredible. I'm hoping to see some locally in the demo area soon. I want to compare them to my CF 16's. Cobra has been on a tear!

I look forward to your thoughts as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obviously ymmv. at the time, i was playing a head that is closer in size to my current t-mb, and my buddy had the kft. when he gave it to me to try, i noticed that it had a bigger footprint. my last set was 565, and i would say going off memory the kft was pretty close in size to the 565, whereas the forged tour was closer in size to the 765 or even 965. i think the black kft will look smaller behind the ball for those who are concerned about top lines and the like. fwiw, my buddy absolutely annihilates his kft irons, and works them both ways.

Back