Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

Looking forward to your thoughts. The F7 Forged felt awesome! This finish looks incredible. I'm hoping to see some locally in the demo area soon. I want to compare them to my CF 16's. Cobra has been on a tear!

The one thing to remember about the DBM finish is it's not really a finish. I believe it's a 20um layer baked into the metal during the forging process. So in essence, the irons are almost "raw" since it's not a coating like a nickel+chrome process.

What this does is give you nice sharp groves and a soft feel that doesn't change in performance much as it wears. One thing you'll notice about "chrome" clubs is you start rounding out the groves quickly as chrome wears a bit faster than a DBM finish.

One thing I learned after hitting 500+ shots, with the same Cobra KING Black wedge in sandy soil and bunkers without cleaning the face after every shot, is this finish takes a while wear. My extreme testing has gotten to the point where I see graying, but I basically hit 2+ years of shots for the average player over the last week. Even with the wear starting to finally show the grooves on the wedge are still sharp and spinny.

Since irons are used even less often I doubt anyone will ever see any wear.

Great thoughts bro, you’re killing with the info and details on that wedge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thoughts CK - thanks for sharing

The forged TEC irons really look fantastic.......need to demo these today. Headed to PGA SS to peruse myself a birthday gift. Lol.

The one thing to remember about the DBM finish is it's not really a finish. I believe it's a 20um layer baked into the metal during the forging process. So in essence, the irons are almost "raw" since it's not a coating like a nickel+chrome process.

What this does is give you nice sharp groves and a soft feel that doesn't change in performance much as it wears. One thing you'll notice about "chrome" clubs is you start rounding out the groves quickly as chrome wears a bit faster than a DBM finish.

One thing I learned after hitting 500+ shots, with the same Cobra KING Black wedge in sandy soil and bunkers without cleaning the face after every shot, is this finish takes a while wear. My extreme testing has gotten to the point where I see graying, but I basically hit 2+ years of shots for the average player over the last week. Even with the wear starting to finally show the grooves on the wedge are still sharp and spinny.

Since irons are used even less often I doubt anyone will ever see any wear.

your feedback has been excellent. but i do have a question: how the hell do you have time to hit 500 shots in a week????

your feedback has been excellent. but i do have a question: how the hell do you have time to hit 500 shots in a week????

Step 1. Start working at 4:30am
Step 2. I joined a grass range practice facility so I could dial in my short game and work off grass instead of matts.
Step 3. Show up at 2pm and leave at 4pm to pick up son =)

One thing I learned last year is you need to practice at least as much as you golf 50/50. I only golfed last year and went from 2.4 - 5.6 handicap and had a horrible looking and working swing by the end of the year. With the amount of tourneys I want to win this year I decided to dedicate a lot more time to proper practice.

Step 1. Start working at 4:30am
Step 2. I joined a grass range practice facility so I could dial in my short game and work off grass instead of matts.
Step 3. Show up at 2pm and leave at 4pm to pick up son =)

One thing I learned last year is you need to practice at least as much as you golf 50/50. I only golfed last year and went from 2.4 - 5.6 handicap and had a horrible looking and working swing by the end of the year. With the amount of tourneys I want to win this year I decided to dedicate a lot more time to proper practice.

that's some serious commitment! good luck with the tourneys this year.

These wedges will look sweet in my Morgan Cup bag. :pray:
Love how the finish is not an applied product but is a byproduct of a heat treating process. This makes it incredibly tough. If it is similar to the cryo finish that my old driver had, it will take a beating and still remain black. The irons look great but I do not know if they would be the best fit for me yet. The 5u would be a great bridge from the hybrids to the irons in the One Length set.

I've tried to stay out of this thread just so I don't get the "WANTS". But man these are just sick looking!

I've tried to stay out of this thread just so I don't get the "WANTS". But man these are just sick looking!

I think I've gone past wants and into needs.

Been looking at the 2/3i & 3/4i in Cobra Black Utility. and going 5 - PW in Forged TEC Black. That iron setup gives me a lot of loft options at the top since the Utility irons are adjustable and a good overall setup for most of the courses I play.

Really need to get with a fitter to figure out the shaft option glad I have a ClubChampions near me.

I never thought I'd jump on the one length band wagon but seeing these irons, I will have to at least give them a chance later in the summer.

I never thought I'd jump on the one length band wagon but seeing these irons, I will have to at least give them a chance later in the summer.

Me too!! This might be the year I go to ONE Length irons.

Me too!! This might be the year I go to ONE Length irons.

I can see me keeping my Apex/with the hybrids and wedges I have and just buying these outright. Really not sure about the wedges at that length but I'm gonna give it the good college try

I can see me keeping my Apex/with the hybrids and wedges I have and just buying these outright. Really not sure about the wedges at that length but I'm gonna give it the good college try

From what I’ve heard, Cobra is out of the awkward phase of trying to figure how to get these one length clubs to perform like a variable length set. The irons from last year really weren’t bad at all though! I tried the gap wedge from last years model and was pretty impressed. The ball flight was the same and it went as far as my own gap wedge. I think the adjustment period wouldn’t be as bad as some would expect.

I guess I could always One length the 5, 6, 7 and then do traditional on the rest... with a one length UT 4 iron

Oh Hi there Black Forged TEC

I just went and hit the One Length Forged iron from last year.
I think I know what I will be choosing come March 12th!!

I hope you are not the only one in here. These are truly an awesome looking iron and I bet they perform just as well.

I hope you are not the only one in here. These are truly an awesome looking iron and I bet they perform just as well.

Haha no way, I'm guessing these will be a popular choice

This thread certainly has some newfound interest from many a THP'er now! Love it.....get in here and read up on the gear boys, it's seriously good!

I hope Cobra ordered enough units. I have a feeling these are going to be popular!

I hope Cobra ordered enough units. I have a feeling these are going to be popular!

question for ya buddy. Saw on FB you mentioned F8+ irons. Were you talking about these, or is there a set of irons that hasn't been released yet?

I think you're right. I've never used a distance players iron before as I prefer to torture myself with small blades that have 47* pitching wedges. After looking at the pics, reading some previous version reviews, I think Cobra Black TEC need to be in the bag.

Back