Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

I received an email last last night from the manager of an area golf center that said they received their demos for this club.
It made me happy to get this email. Now if this bleeping snow would just go away...

interesting the lengths seem to be .5 inch over standard (38.5 on 5 iron , Graphite or steel), which is great because that's what i play (broad shoulders and shorter arms).

Have never played graphite in irons, those recoils look interesting.

I'm curious about that too. I'm wondering what the thinking is here and if Cobra recommends that people who usually play standard length cut them down 1/2-inch (or 1/4-inch if Cobra Connect is adding some of the length).

I'm curious about that too. I'm wondering what the thinking is here and if Cobra recommends that people who usually play standard length cut them down 1/2-inch (or 1/4-inch if Cobra Connect is adding some of the length).
I read somewhere recently that Cobra measures their clubs differently then other manufacturers, I believe it will still be standard in length when measured the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I saw somewhere that the extra 1/2" is due to the Cobra Connect.

I like how these are (in other places) being called "Cobras response to the P790, Epic, TMB et al." but the original version came out well before any of those came to market - correct?

I'm not above admitting that I look at the OL version of this set with a lustful heart.

I like how these are (in other places) being called "Cobras response to the P790, Epic, TMB et al." but the original version came out well before any of those came to market - correct?

I'm not above admitting that I look at the OL version of this set with a lustful heart.

Yes, they came out prior to that. Lazy reporting.
Its as if some "personalities" assume that hollow body irons started in 2016...haha

Would I be correct in assuming that the original Forged version TEC was Cobra's first attempt at this category labeled players distance by some?

Yes, they came out prior to that. Lazy reporting.
Its as if some "personalities" assume that hollow body irons started in 2016...haha

Exactly. I do think Cobra's early release, and more modest release cycle with this King lineup (saying that because they came out with the LTD if I remember) may have hurt them in this iron range not normally being included in those type of discussions. Its a shame. They basically sound like everything I want an iron to be.

Would I be correct in assuming that the original Forged version TEC was Cobra's first attempt at this category labeled players distance by some?

Yes I would think so.
When Apex came out, it really added a category, despite it not really being new if that makes sense.

I saw somewhere that the extra 1/2" is due to the Cobra Connect.

I was told by Cobra CS that the Cobra Connect adds approc 3/8" to club length. They suggested when placing an order just say total playing length you want including the CC.

Goodness, I can't wait to see these in person!!
These irons are going to be pure!

A friend of mine who is a manager of a Golf Town in Canada was at a Cobra seminar last week in Toronto (hosted by Jose) and saw the Forged Tec Black in person and as most have said who have seen in person, he thought it was stunning and will be a huge seller for Cobra.

Yes I would think so.
When Apex came out, it really added a category, despite it not really being new if that makes sense.

Ok thats what I thought. The reason I asked is because when reading through the Titleist 718 AP series thread I saw a few comments about the AP3 regarding feel and how some thought that because it was their first attempt at that category that they would likely learn from a few things and do much better the second time around. After hitting the original Forged TEC I personally found many comparisons similiar to the AP3 in the lack of feel department so with this being the second time around I believe Cobra will have improved upon their original design and this has me even more excited about them.

I look back to what they did with the Amp Cell Forged irons for me as their first real attempt at this category. From their the successor IMO was the FlyZ+ irons, then in to the Forged Tec series.

I look back to what they did with the Amp Cell Forged irons for me as their first real attempt at this category. From their the successor IMO was the FlyZ+ irons, then in to the Forged Tec series.

Totally agree with all this. SHocker.

The Amp line was basically a completely different R&D team though, wasn't it? The current group started together on the Fly-Z iirc. Not that they can't still continue that brand's technological trends, but I still think its significant.

I was told by Cobra CS that the Cobra Connect adds approc 3/8" to club length. They suggested when placing an order just say total playing length you want including the CC.

3/8" or 1/2" it'as all the same, right? :) I should have covered my self and said approximately.

Either way, I'd probably just choke down that little bit on these.

85% of Stock golf equipment is meant for people like me. If you look closely, my pic is probably in the dead center of the bell curve they shoot for.

The Amp line was basically a completely different R&D team though, wasn't it? The current group started together on the Fly-Z iirc. Not that they can't still continue that brand's technological trends, but I still think its significant.

Some are different, Yagley has been there since 2011. But not going on the R&D part, to me that was the set for them that offered that forged construction, in a bigger head, with extra materials to help boost MOI and forgiveness while providing distance. In my mind, that was the set that started them on the path to where they are now with these ones. Very simplistic look here, but check out the exploded construction of the 3 previous sets that I am mentioning. It's not hard to see how they relate in terms of build. In my mind they build off of that first model and morph in to what we have with these.

amp-forged-iron-set-exploded.jpg

fly-z-plus-tech3.jpg

king-forged-tec-exploded2.jpg

Some are different, Yagley has been there since 2011. But not going on the R&D part, to me that was the set for them that offered that forged construction, in a bigger head, with extra materials to help boost MOI and forgiveness while providing distance. In my mind, that was the set that started them on the path to where they are now with these ones. Very simplistic look here, but check out the exploded construction of the 3 previous sets that I am mentioning. It's not hard to see how they relate in terms of build. In my mind they build off of that first model and morph in to what we have with these.

I see what you're saying. I guess for me what I was thinking about was that progression moving through the Forged Tour lineup and the TEC being kind of a new application of that technology. The TEC and FlyZ do bear more resemblance than I had in my head, though.

Tech_Exploded_570px.png

Last edited:
This information/comparison from the AMP Forge onward makes me happy. I wanted to play the AMP Forged, but the GG guy talked me out of it and the AMP Cell into Ping I20s that I didn't get along with.
I found out years later the sales guy was a Ping guy meaning that is what he played for 30+ yrs. I was such a moron back then.

Just hit these beauties...the black finish really does make them look smaller. I definitely now see the comparison to CF16 size wise and from the top they are almost identical to F8 from about 7i down. To me that speaks about how good of job they did with the F8 line more than anything. These are not big by any means but there is some size to them and the feel on well struck shots is nice, though to me still a bit on the clicky side.

Nice jdtox. I think people are going to enjoy them.

Just hit these beauties...the black finish really does make them look smaller. I definitely now see the comparison to CF16 size wise and from the top they are almost identical to F8 from about 7i down. To me that speaks about how good of job they did with the F8 line more than anything. These are not big by any means but there is some size to them and the feel on well struck shots is nice, though to me still a bit on the clicky side.

Where did you hit them?

Where did you hit them?

They had them at a local demo day. The rep told me he literally just got them he didn't have them last week.

Some more thoughts after about 80 swings with a few different shafts....also big thanks to @tpluff for another pair of eyes out there today!

In my opinion the AMT white are awful...FOR ME. Yes they look fantastic but I could not stand the feel of the shaft and/or if I'm being honest the head itself. I literally almost ruled these completely out based on that shaft alone. After trying the C-Taper Lite, $ Taper and FLT shafts, the Forged TEC now have a fighting chance at making the bag because each one of those shafts FOR ME completely changed the feel of the club in a good way. I am coming from Project X LZ, they are probably the best feeling non graphite shaft I have ever gamed so trying to find something similar is proving to be somewhat of a challenge.

Unfortunately this demo day had no launch monitors of any kind available but I brought my SC200 with me to get some sort of numbers for comparison. The word of the day is consistency. According to SC200 the Forged TEC were very consistent, I was living out towards the toe a lot today but even toe hits and center strikes proved to be very close to the same yardage. I hit probably about 30 balls with each iron and I would say 8-10 balls were within 3 yds every single time with the Forged TEC so the TEC is definitely doing something right. The Forged Tours were also very consistent yardage wise but a little less forgiving on miss hits which is to be expected from that type of iron.

Here is a few pics of Black forged TEC and the Forged Tours side by side, as you can see they really are very similar in size but really thats where the comparison ends. To me the TEC irons feel a little less like a forged iron than do the Tours. Maybe its what I'm used to or maybe its just the TEC, but they feel totally different, not a bad different, just different.

327ca8d70b81283d7e2c3f773478dfbb.jpg

023e94e6b0b8c4a4dd425a3a9c3c9783.jpg

b90656be40c9533da8c32050c30d1c45.jpg

The bottom line is I learned today, at least based on the numbers provided by SC200, that I know my carry yardage for a 7iron is pretty much exactly the same with either club. The very weird thing about that is the loft of the Forged Tour is 33° where the TEC is 30°. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain that??

They had them at a local demo day. The rep told me he literally just got them he didn't have them last week.

Some more thoughts after about 80 swings with a few different shafts....also big thanks to @tpluff for another pair of eyes out there today!

In my opinion the AMT white are awful...FOR ME. Yes they look fantastic but I could not stand the feel of the shaft and/or if I'm being honest the head itself. I literally almost ruled these completely out based on that shaft alone. After trying the C-Taper Lite, $ Taper and FLT shafts, the Forged TEC now have a fighting chance at making the bag because each one of those shafts FOR ME completely changed the feel of the club in a good way. I am coming from Project X LZ, they are probably the best feeling non graphite shaft I have ever gamed so trying to find something similar is proving to be somewhat of a challenge.

Unfortunately this demo day had no launch monitors of any kind available but I brought my SC200 with me to get some sort of numbers for comparison. The word of the day is consistency. According to SC200 the Forged TEC were very consistent, I was living out towards the toe a lot today but even toe hits and center strikes proved to be very close to the same yardage. I hit probably about 30 balls with each iron and I would say 8-10 balls were within 3 yds every single time with the Forged TEC so the TEC is definitely doing something right. The Forged Tours were also very consistent yardage wise but a little less forgiving on miss hits which is to be expected from that type of iron.

Here is a few pics of Black forged TEC and the Forged Tours side by side, as you can see they really are very similar in size but really thats where the comparison ends. To me the TEC irons feel a little less like a forged iron than do the Tours. Maybe its what I'm used to or maybe its just the TEC, but they feel totally different, not a bad different, just different.

327ca8d70b81283d7e2c3f773478dfbb.jpg

023e94e6b0b8c4a4dd425a3a9c3c9783.jpg

b90656be40c9533da8c32050c30d1c45.jpg

The bottom line is I learned today, at least based on the numbers provided by SC200, that I know my carry yardage for a 7iron is pretty much exactly the same with either club. The very weird thing about that is the loft of the Forged Tour is 33° where the TEC is 30°. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain that??

The CG is pulled back and down farther from the face in the ForgedTEC which helps launch the ball higher naturally so they can get away with the lower loft.

Great write up BTW!! Helps me with my choice. I'm completely ready for Monday!

@jdtox EXCELLENT writeup. tbh i really don't like that amt white either. i prefer smoother feeling shafts as well, and the whites just missed the mark with me in other heads i tested last year.

can you give any feedback on the tec with the $ taper?

Back