Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

They had them at a local demo day. The rep told me he literally just got them he didn't have them last week.

Some more thoughts after about 80 swings with a few different shafts....also big thanks to @tpluff for another pair of eyes out there today!

In my opinion the AMT white are awful...FOR ME. Yes they look fantastic but I could not stand the feel of the shaft and/or if I'm being honest the head itself. I literally almost ruled these completely out based on that shaft alone. After trying the C-Taper Lite, $ Taper and FLT shafts, the Forged TEC now have a fighting chance at making the bag because each one of those shafts FOR ME completely changed the feel of the club in a good way. I am coming from Project X LZ, they are probably the best feeling non graphite shaft I have ever gamed so trying to find something similar is proving to be somewhat of a challenge.

Unfortunately this demo day had no launch monitors of any kind available but I brought my SC200 with me to get some sort of numbers for comparison. The word of the day is consistency. According to SC200 the Forged TEC were very consistent, I was living out towards the toe a lot today but even toe hits and center strikes proved to be very close to the same yardage. I hit probably about 30 balls with each iron and I would say 8-10 balls were within 3 yds every single time with the Forged TEC so the TEC is definitely doing something right. The Forged Tours were also very consistent yardage wise but a little less forgiving on miss hits which is to be expected from that type of iron.

Here is a few pics of Black forged TEC and the Forged Tours side by side, as you can see they really are very similar in size but really thats where the comparison ends. To me the TEC irons feel a little less like a forged iron than do the Tours. Maybe its what I'm used to or maybe its just the TEC, but they feel totally different, not a bad different, just different.

327ca8d70b81283d7e2c3f773478dfbb.jpg

023e94e6b0b8c4a4dd425a3a9c3c9783.jpg

b90656be40c9533da8c32050c30d1c45.jpg

The bottom line is I learned today, at least based on the numbers provided by SC200, that I know my carry yardage for a 7iron is pretty much exactly the same with either club. The very weird thing about that is the loft of the Forged Tour is 33° where the TEC is 30°. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain that??

Appreciate the pics and knowledge man. Kudos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@jdtox EXCELLENT writeup. tbh i really don't like that amt white either. i prefer smoother feeling shafts as well, and the whites just missed the mark with me in other heads i tested last year.

can you give any feedback on the tec with the $ taper?

To me definitely better feeling and higher launching than the AMT but by no means high launching. The black on the $ taper is more of a black chrome/steel look than the AMT. I'm honestly torn on the shaft I liked it but I think I liked the FLT and the C taper lite better (but I don't love the look of the c taper with the black head) #internetgolferproblems

They had them at a local demo day. The rep told me he literally just got them he didn't have them last week.

Some more thoughts after about 80 swings with a few different shafts....also big thanks to @tpluff for another pair of eyes out there today!

In my opinion the AMT white are awful...FOR ME. Yes they look fantastic but I could not stand the feel of the shaft and/or if I'm being honest the head itself. I literally almost ruled these completely out based on that shaft alone. After trying the C-Taper Lite, $ Taper and FLT shafts, the Forged TEC now have a fighting chance at making the bag because each one of those shafts FOR ME completely changed the feel of the club in a good way. I am coming from Project X LZ, they are probably the best feeling non graphite shaft I have ever gamed so trying to find something similar is proving to be somewhat of a challenge.

Unfortunately this demo day had no launch monitors of any kind available but I brought my SC200 with me to get some sort of numbers for comparison. The word of the day is consistency. According to SC200 the Forged TEC were very consistent, I was living out towards the toe a lot today but even toe hits and center strikes proved to be very close to the same yardage. I hit probably about 30 balls with each iron and I would say 8-10 balls were within 3 yds every single time with the Forged TEC so the TEC is definitely doing something right. The Forged Tours were also very consistent yardage wise but a little less forgiving on miss hits which is to be expected from that type of iron.

Here is a few pics of Black forged TEC and the Forged Tours side by side, as you can see they really are very similar in size but really thats where the comparison ends. To me the TEC irons feel a little less like a forged iron than do the Tours. Maybe its what I'm used to or maybe its just the TEC, but they feel totally different, not a bad different, just different.

The bottom line is I learned today, at least based on the numbers provided by SC200, that I know my carry yardage for a 7iron is pretty much exactly the same with either club. The very weird thing about that is the loft of the Forged Tour is 33° where the TEC is 30°. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain that??
What shaft played closest to your PX LZ

Great info man, I promise you there were several Morgan Cuppers carefully reading that! Thank you!

It was really interesting what we saw today. Some of the distance could be the calculation difference between what we had the 7i set at degree wise and what the clubs actually are. It certainly seemed like the Forged Tec would stay in the air longer, but admittedly I had no timer on it.

Nonetheless, very, very consistent and when paired with the right shaft, they are amazing. I too hated the AMT White. When I saw that combo, I said something along the lines of "That looks so good, I'd game it even if I couldn't play it." Well, it just didn't seem like a great pairing for me in the head. Strapped in a CTL and it came back to life.

I don't think @jdtox could go wrong with their head, but I favored this one just a little bit more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great feedback Jdtox. Seriously.

Great feedback Jdtox. Seriously.

Seriously! Let's just say my MC bag completely changed based on those pics. I had bigger in my head based on what I've been told. Getting some great side by side pics is huge, thanks so much! Oh and I may have texted my team, get in and read that ForgedTEC thread! Haha, great stuff!

Seriously! Let's just say my MC bag completely changed based on those pics. I had bigger in my head based on what I've been told. Getting some great side by side pics is huge, thanks so much! Oh and I may have texted my team, get in and read that ForgedTEC thread! Haha, great stuff!

#Captaining

You'll do great with them. Truth.

What shaft played closest to your PX LZ

None of them had the same feel honestly, they are so different in my opinion but The CTaper lites were much better than I expected. It’s funny to me because I hear C Taper and think low launch but the lites are different. Sounds stupid but I wish I liked the looks of them better, I prefer plain steel or black.

Just throwing this out there for the MC guys (or anyone for that matter)- I have 5-PW AMT White pulls if anyone is interested, I’ll send them out this week if you want to experience the shafts for the Forged Tec - shoot me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write-up jdtox....some great intell there....very appreciated.

I hit these Wednesday at the PGASS and really liked them. Feels, looks, performs, and frames the ball really nice. I haven't really hit a club in like 5 months, so I really didn't pay attention to the numbers.

I hit these Wednesday at the PGASS and really liked them. Feels, looks, performs, and frames the ball really nice. I haven't really hit a club in like 5 months, so I really didn't pay attention to the numbers.

What shafts you play around with if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

as i think many of us did, i went with the king forged tec black irons for my morgan cup order.

i have hit a friend's original king forged tec and liked the performance. i'm excited to learn more about the changes cobra has implemented vs the original offering. and the styling is just amazing. there's a reason so many of us have gravitated to these. they're gorgeous.

To me definitely better feeling and higher launching than the AMT but by no means high launching. The black on the $ taper is more of a black chrome/steel look than the AMT. I'm honestly torn on the shaft I liked it but I think I liked the FLT and the C taper lite better (but I don't love the look of the c taper with the black head) #internetgolferproblems

as i think many of us did, i went with the king forged tec black irons for my morgan cup order.

i have hit a friend's original king forged tec and liked the performance. i'm excited to learn more about the changes cobra has implemented vs the original offering. and the styling is just amazing. there's a reason so many of us have gravitated to these. they're gorgeous.

I had to go off a hunch with my selection since I didn't have access to more than a 7 iron of v1 Forged TEC. I ended up watching some Carly Booth highlights with her Cobra/Puma gear. Just watching how well she played with them helped make up my mind. She smashes the ball compared to most girls and controlled the ball like a champ.

In case anyone is wondering, you can pre-order these on the Cobra website today.

Built many a set that are sitting in my cart...

I have 2 in mine, but I still need to hit & feel these iron.

That’s my hangup as well. I have another set I really like but I’m partial to Cobra
I have sets built for P790 & Rogue Pros.

I'm interested in these, but only in a one length. I'm not sold on the concept yet but I'll try before I purchase anything else.

seeing the specs on these now and comparing to my current gamers. from 5i-8i, the iron number on the kftb will be almost exactly 1 less than my gamers wrt loft. i'm totally cool with that, because i think these will launch very well. and with cobra connect, they will be exactly 0.5" over my gamers which is also where i want them to be. score!

i am ready for really good things out of these irons!

seeing the specs on these now and comparing to my current gamers. from 5i-8i, the iron number on the kftb will be almost exactly 1 less than my gamers wrt loft. i'm totally cool with that, because i think these will launch very well. and with cobra connect, they will be exactly 0.5" over my gamers which is also where i want them to be. score!

i am ready for really good things out of these irons!

Likewise....these are within 1 degree stronger than my current Srixons so should be no issue.

Likewise....these are within 1 degree stronger than my current Srixons so should be no issue.

my current 4i is the same loft as the kftb 5i. the two sets start to align at the 9i, pw and gw. that will prove to be interesting. not really sure how they achieve that. maybe i should ask them :)

Back