Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

Been rotating these in and out for a few rounds with the New Level 1031 forged irons I won for fantasy football and the finish continues to impress as it holds up. 6 and the 8 iron continue to get the most work and the 7 is used around the green the most for some punch and run chips just off the green.

Still a good half to a full club behind my old Apex and even the NL irons.

Have had these in play the past few rounds. Only the 6-9 iron. Pw and Gw are with the f9 set.

The 6-9 iron are solid. They are decently hot off the face with a fair amount of forgiveness. More importantly, they align super easy.

These definitely have more of a players profile compared to the f9s, but the blade length inspires a bunch of confidence.

I mean the real win would involve epoxy not failing after like 2 months but since I just got a FedEx notice that the club I sent out for repair Monday morning will be delivered back to me tomorrow I won't get too upset.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Looks like the bad epoxy wasn't just the one club. Hit the range after league and my 7 iron head is lost somewhere in the grass about 80 yards down. They are picking and cutting the range in the morning so hopefully the staff find it.

See what Cobra says when I call them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looks like the bad epoxy wasn't just the one club. Hit the range after league and my 7 iron head is lost somewhere in the grass about yards down. They are picking and cutting the range in the morning so hopefully the staff find it.

Sorry to hear that.. Hopefully it's a bad batch of epoxy and they get you straight. I've given my FTB's a workout in the range and the course and still no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks like the bad epoxy wasn't just the one club. Hit the range after league and my 7 iron head is lost somewhere in the grass about 80 yards down. They are picking and cutting the range in the morning so hopefully the staff find it.

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that.

Just got off with Customer Service. They are warranty replacing the 7 iron. This time they asked I send the whole set back so they can reinspect and re-epoxy all of them. Overnight both ways again. Frustrating, luckily I have a back up set so I won't miss my league match. Hopefully this is the end of it.

I'm glad they are checking the whole set though, I didn't want to have to do this one club at a time all summer.

I believe these have hosels that fit both .355 and .370? Looked like there was a shim in there. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I believe these have hosels that fit both .355 and .370? Looked like there was a shim in there. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I just pulled the shafts off mine (Tour V 120x) and they didn't have shims. Not sure they make them in .370

Speaking of club work, I pulled the shafts out of my FTBs last night as the TourV 120x is just too heavy of a swingweight for my swing profile. Not surprisingly, the size of the head weights that came out were massive. A bunch of 6g and some 8g which validates me thinking these were in the heavy D range.

Going to install some 110 Tour V's in them hopefully in the next day or so, with three rounds upcoming this weekend. I haven't been this excited to see what a set of irons can do in a long time!

Speaking of club work, I pulled the shafts out of my FTBs last night as the TourV 120x is just too heavy of a swingweight for my swing profile. Not surprisingly, the size of the head weights that came out were massive. A bunch of 6g and some 8g which validates me thinking these were in the heavy D range.

Going to install some 110 Tour V's in them hopefully in the next day or so, with three rounds upcoming this weekend. I haven't been this excited to see what a set of irons can do in a long time!

The V’s and you were just meant to be!

It makes no sense, but I love it.

Only thing that will stop them at this point is graphite. I want to give these wrists a break.

Have you been able to diagnose/resolve the issue with the FTB wedges?

Wow that seems like a lot of head weights. Stock says D2 you think they were heavier than that? Also looking forward to your feedback on the 110's. I am considering the same switch

It makes no sense, but I love it.

Only thing that will stop them at this point is graphite. I want to give these wrists a break.

Remind me what shafts were in them?

Remind me what shafts were in them?

same TourV but 120x. With a LOT of head weight lol.

The difference should level off what I am more familiar with playing, which would be a very high C or low D swing weight.

I would bet with the lighter weight and softer flex, I see a better distance profile.

Wow that seems like a lot of head weights. Stock says D2 you think they were heavier than that? Also looking forward to your feedback on the 110's. I am considering the same switch

I have no idea, but I can't fathom them being D2. I remember taking a swing with yours at Haig and i swear they were 6 points lighter. I am just used to building out my own heads with 110 (most often) shaft weight. With my swing, timing is everything and I think that will be what will put these over the the top for me, getting into the right swing weight range.

I would bet with the lighter weight and softer flex, I see a better distance profile.

I have no idea, but I can't fathom them being D2. I remember taking a swing with yours at Haig and i swear they were 6 points lighter. I am just used to building out my own heads with 110 (most often) shaft weight. With my swing, timing is everything and I think that will be what will put these over the the top for me, getting into the right swing weight range.

Interesting. Kind of my thinking about the lighter weight (better distance profile) but I would be keeping the flex the same just losing 10g of weight. Just have to get around to doing it

same TourV but 120x. With a LOT of head weight lol.

The difference should level off what I am more familiar with playing, which would be a very high C or low D swing weight.

As a D5 guy, I don’t know who you are. Lol

Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

haha, captain light pants.... And I love it.

You be captain light pants, I’ll be captain heavy d.....D5. Yeah, D5...

I've only had distance gapping issues with the FTB GW as the pitching wedge gaps fine. The AW was flying a similar distance to my MIM SW according to Arccos. From working with my coach I found that the peak height was way up there with the FTB gap wedge as I tend to swing it full like my irons. With the windy rounds it was stalling in the air. For my MIM SW & LW I swing smoother and keep my hands quieter which seems to knock some spin and height off. When I swing the AW this way it does better in the wind. On a calm day the FTB gap wedge appears to go the right yardage. Probably has more to do with the archer than the arrow..

Touched on this in my contest thread, but last week I finally got my first major on-course action with these since the Morgan Cup. Interestingly, it was 4 rounds of links golf in Scotland, which typically requires controlled swings, pure ball-striking, and the ability to shape shots to account for hard bounces around the green.

I was a bit concerned taking these over there since I haven't spent enough time to feel real comfortable with them. Plus, the stronger lofts made me worry about being able to hit the longer irons without blading/chunking it. How did they perform? Incredible! The highlights:

- On the 3rd hole of the week (at North Berwick), hit a 7-iron 190 yards with the wind to 10 feet and birdied the number 1 handicap hole.
- Had my first long iron on the 8th at North Berwick...a 4-iron from 220 (with the wind). Ended up with a 30-foot eagle putt.
- The 16th at N. Berwick should require a post of its own, as the green is the most ridiculous green I've ever seen (an angled biarritz with a 5-foot valley - for those architecture geeks like me). I ended up with this shot...

IMG_20190510_183625310_HDR.jpg

It's tough to tell from the picture, but it was nearly impossible with links conditions (the idea of ball marks on full shots is laughable!) - the pin is 15 feet from the edge of the green. 20 feet past the pin, there's a 5-foot drop off as well (you can see another person on the other side of the green). I considered putting, hitting hybrid, 4-iron, 7-iron, PW, or a flop shot...this is the coolest thing about links golf! Ultimately I pulled the PW, hit it perfectly, directly into the bank, hopping three times up the bank and trickling onto the green, barely staying on the top shelf. To add to it, some locals with an awesome house were enjoying some Friday night drinks on their patio right next to this hole. I seriously had 10 people hooting and applauding after that one (I obliged with a tip of the cap!). Anyway, what does this happen to do with the clubs? I've never been able to hit a PW or higher with touch and consistency on ball impact. This shot provided both, and the turf interaction was simply incredible. I'm not good enough to hit these kinds of shots...the forgiveness of the FTB's gave me a chance to hit miracle shots like this off of incredibly tight lies. I surely hit shots that were closer to the hole on my trip, but this was definitely the most memorable.

Other highlights:
- At the Old Course on St. Andrews, I had the best iron ball-striking of my life. After reviewing the round, I realized that I was within 20 FEET of the pin distance-wise on all 18 holes (I may have been further left or right, but it shows how solid the turf interaction and forgiveness is with these clubs - my game is still really early in the season and I should have had a few mishits in there).
- My 4th round (at a course called Elie), required some ridiculous shots...none moreso than the 200 yard (roll-aided) 6-iron from the deep rough that ended up 10-feet from the hole!

Anyway, just wanted to share how excited I am to continue playing these...if they have this much forgiveness on super tight lies, I can't wait to see what they can do on the lush fairways here in Ohio.

I got to play a pitch & putt par 3 course recently and the GW was performing fine. I think the gapping issue had more to do with me and poor course management.
b3bb324b1bb360316c67a276c217d02f.jpg

First 27 holes into the new FTB build and I'll be honest, I am struggling. A little bit of army golf out there with consistency, where some will hang a bit right and some will go left on me. I've been trying for a couple years to move into a more forgiving head to support a straighter, easier ball flight, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to translate into my swing.

The launch is plenty high with TourV 110 which is good (and expected). I hit a really nice 7 iron with a bit of wind help at a 186 yard pin that landed just past it, which is probably about where my old irons would be, and it even had the nice little draw I was looking for on it. I'll continue my pursuit of this build through the weekend and bring my thoughts here. I want so badly for these to be THE irons I roll with for the future.

Sound is still excellent. Finish is holding strong. Both very important things.

Back