Holden4th

Reaction score
Handicap
On a recent trip back home I finally got to play some golf. I didn't have any clubs with me so my brother grabbed a set out of his garage and said I could use those for the month I was there. When I looked at them, I was not impressed. They had to be at least 20+ years old and I thought that hitting these would be a chore.

I played five rounds with them and played the most consistent fairway shots than I probably ever have before. It didn't make sense, these crappy old clubs that in my hands hit the ball sweet and true. Over the five rounds I might have hit less than ten fat/thin shots. That's not me as I usually have one duffed shot per hole.

As per the title of this thread those irons were the Ping EYE 2s (not sure if they were + or not) and they were stainless steel green dots.

I've talked my brother into letting me have them. He picked them up in a second hand place for $15 and they are his third set after his Mizunos and Callaways.

What puzzles me is why such an old piece of golfing technology works so well but it doesn't matter. When they arrive I'll relegate the Cleveland 588s to the second bag and use these exclusively.

Does anyone else here use the Ping EYE 2s?

The eye 2 irons are still a great set of irons wish I still had mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those old Pings have a high MOI and I know several guys who still play them. They are certainly in the GI category even when comparing them to modern irons. The lofts are weaker than todays irons but that is no big deal.

I’m sure the Eye 2’s are more forgiving than my 2017 Srixon 765’s.

Last edited:
Evidently you done something that just works for your swing. Those are a really cool set of irons and it's great you found something that works so well.

The Ping Eye 2's never go out of style!

I have a set in the closet. Don’t play them, but keep them for nostalgia reasons. Really loved those clubs.

I have a full set of Ping Eye 2+ blue dots (including putter) that I will NEVER part with!

I have a set of 3-PW sitting in the back room that I will break out and play on occasion.

A legendary club, a friend of mine still plays them....the sand wedge is still produced today and you can buy it brand new....I also had a set of Ping Zing 2's that i loved and regretted selling immediately after hitting the 855's i bought to replace them

I have the nickel Ping iSi irons in my basement. I will never get rid of them. My son will probably be the next person to play them.

I got a set of PE2s for my dad a couple months ago. I just finished restoring them today. I want to get a set for myself, the looks never get old. I had a chance to get some for me a while back but instead went with the i15s. Kind of regret that.

I've just regripped the EYE2s with Golf Pride CP2 Wraps and they feel great. I do have a question about the provenance of these clubs which I can't seem to get an answer to.

I sent off my query to Ping US and they said they had never heard of that type of Serial Number. Further research has led to the fact that these were actually made/sold at Corringham Rd in the UK. However, I can't seem to find anyone to contact over there.

The serial number is B16285 - does this sound like the UK version? Has anyone got contact details for Ping UK so I can learn about these clubs. I'd particularly like to know what shafts they have in them.

Have a set of 1-PW Eye 2's. Paid $89 for the set at Roger Dunn in SOCAL. There's never been a better set IMO. Older folks know that about everyone played the Eye 2's. Also, I believe Ping will recondition them at their Ping factory! I use the PW from 110-40 yards. Watch this comparison video to new Pings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZIcbfMzNUg

So this is just a thought, so bare with me! It may not be the actual clubs at all that made you play so well! It may just be the "green dot." A ping green dot iron is (if I remember correctly) bent 2.25 degrees upright, and a half inch longer in the shaft. It is meant for the taller player, and I myself am fit to a green dot. If you've never been fitted before it is definitely something to think about. Makes a world of difference.

Have a set of 1-PW Eye 2's. Paid $89 for the set at Roger Dunn in SOCAL. There's never been a better set IMO. Older folks know that about everyone played the Eye 2's. Also, I believe Ping will recondition them at their Ping factory! I use the PW from 110-40 yards. Watch this comparison video to new Pings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZIcbfMzNUg

For clarity Ping will recondition the steel eye 2s. If you have a set in beryllium copper you’re out of luck.

I currently play a set of Eye 2+ 4-LW, green dot with JZ Stiff shafts. I found them on Ebay in what is easily 9/10 condition! It's probably my 5th set over the years. Every time I sell as set, I regret it.

I recently picked up another set of Eye 2+ 3-SW and then a separate LW. I'm going to send this set to PING for refinish and re-shaft to AWT 2.0. That's how much I love these 30? year old irons. I have a saved Ebay search for Eye 2+ Green Dot. If I find another set in good shape, I might buy a 3rd and send them to PING as well.

For me, there's nothing more user-friendly, even the new giga-sized SGIs. The Eye 2+ irons are easy to hit, forgiving, fly high, spin well, and the wedges are like cheating around the greens. Oh, and they are borderline indestructible. I'm 45, so my current set and a back up set will last me the rest of my golfing life, if I choose to keep playing them, and I probably will.

Enjoy them!

Just went to Gold town for balls and noticed used left hand set of eye 2 , steel shafts, for C$100.Couldn't resist. Metal is in good shape. Just dirty. 5-pw. Had to have them. Now gotta try them.

Had a few minutes yesterday and gave them a cleaning. Got a few days off, gonna play them tomorrow. The only one with any wear is the pitching wedge. The others seem to have had little use.

The green dot is more upright but not longer. The shaft could be longer as well but that is separate from upright color. Further, clubs are longer in 2019 so an extended club in 2000 might not be long any more. Not played Ping in a long time but don't sleep on that JZ shaft. Had that in Ping Zing 2's and it worked great. Had eye 2 wedges and they are good.

a result is a result. Ball does not know the age or make of clubs

If they would make a conforming set today, they would still sell like hotcakes.

just that good!!

For the record - Ping Eye 2 iron manufactured prior to 1990 are conforming. This is when the whole "U Groove" "Square Groove" "V Groove" thing happened and Ping won the lawsuit deeming their grooves were legal. Now, if YOU refinish the heads personally and end up modifying the grooves to be out of spec, you could run into trouble. If you have PING do them, they will make them the original specs and not have any issues at all. Here's a reference to Model Local Rule G-2 of the Offical Guide to the Rules of Golf for those that want to read it. The full link is below...

"Exception – Ping Eye2 Irons Manufactured before 31 March 1990: Ping Eye2 irons manufactured before 31 March 1990 with a groove spacing to groove width ratio of 2.3 to 1 are allowed for play under the Rules of Golf, even when this Local Rule is in effect."

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/committee-procedures/rule-8.html

Back