Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Did you get a 58? If so how do you feel about the versatility?

I did. I think it’s very versatile. It’s my go to inside 100yds, sand, around the green, etc. I’ve pulled off some shots with it that I have no business even trying. It makes me look a lot better than I really am

I did, I went with 50/54/58. The 58 is my least used wedge out of the 3. I use the 54 for most shots around the green and always out of the bunkers. The 58 is mainly used for anything around 55-70 yards. I don't go to it much around the green, but that's just always been a personal preference of mine.

I also agree about the finish. It’s crazy that they figured out how to put a really good finish on a wedge at that price point. When I actually clean mine up they look damn near new

I did. I think it’s very versatile. It’s my go to inside 100yds, sand, around the green, etc. I’ve pulled off some shots with it that I have no business even trying. It makes me look a lot better than I really am
Glad to see you are walking on water with these wedges too...

Glad to see you are walking on water with these wedges too...

I hit some shots at the bourbon get together out of sand with it that even surprised me

First of all, great review!

I have the 58 in both finishes and love it and feel the versaility is as good as any other wedge I have ever gamed. Use it for the majority of my shots from 95 yards and in. Have no problem opening it up to hit a lofted pitch. The majority of my chips shots are from just off the green and have a ton of success with bump and runs with the 54 and 58.

I bought a cleveland sure out wedge before getting the Equalizers to help me get up and down out of the bunkers. The Equalizer wedges knocked it out of the bag quickly. I never had a lot of confidence in bunkers before, but these have me being confident standing over the ball in the sand. Once again, dollar for dollar, they can't be beat.

First of all, great review!

I have the 58 in both finishes and love it and feel the versaility is as good as any other wedge I have ever gamed. Use it for the majority of my shots from 95 yards and in. Have no problem opening it up to hit a lofted pitch. The majority of my chips shots are from just off the green and have a ton of success with bump and runs with the 54 and 58.
These really shine with straight forward bump and run type of shots....
I think that I don’t like the 58 in the bunker because I’m a clipper out the bunker rather than a digger and the RTX-4 58 Low is a great club for a clipper.

These really shine with straight forward bump and run type of shots....
I think that I don’t like the 58 in the bunker because I’m a clipper out the bunker rather than a digger and the RTX-4 58 Low is a great club for a clipper.

That makes sense. I typically get down and through a generous amount of sand when coming out of the bunker.

Really good info and some data showing similar to what I am seeing spin wise.

I too went with the 50/54/58. I use all three on full shots and my 54 around the greens. Too few sand traps here to really judge, but in limited experience the 58 hasn't been the club for me out of the sand. Not sure about the sole options are or what I'd even need, but maybe some different options are needed to make the 58 more versatile? Finish is incredibly durable, and still looks great!20191104_173303.jpg20191104_173325.jpgy20191104_173303.jpg20191104_173235.jpg

I too went with the 50/54/58. I use all three on full shots and my 54 around the greens. Too few sand traps here to really judge, but in limited experience the 58 hasn't been the club for me out of the sand. Not sure about the sole options are or what I'd even need, but maybe some different options are needed to make the 58 more versatile? Finish is incredibly durable, and still looks great!
I think that offering a different grind in the 58 would add to it’s versatility, although getting into different grinds probably goes against the Hogan DTC business model. The DTC model relies on a lower number of skus to maintain profitability and positive cash flow.

I think that offering a different grind in the 58 would add to it’s versatility, although getting into different grinds probably goes against the Hogan DTC business model. The DTC model relies on a lower number of skus to maintain profitability and positive cash flow.

On my 58, I just don’t feel like I can open the face like I’d like to do. It’s great on full shots but I can’t lay open the face like I’d like to on chips and such.

I too went with the 50/54/58. I use all three on full shots and my 54 around the greens. Too few sand traps here to really judge, but in limited experience the 58 hasn't been the club for me out of the sand. Not sure about the sole options are or what I'd even need, but maybe some different options are needed to make the 58 more versatile? Finish is incredibly durable, and still looks great!View attachment 8913704View attachment 8913703yView attachment 8913704View attachment 8913705
The hold up of the finish is sick, so good... I’m seeing the same thing...

On my 58, I just don’t feel like I can open the face like I’d like to do. It’s great on full shots but I can’t lay open the face like I’d like to on chips and such.
I think it’s the grind, it’s hard to lay down and open it...

I think it’s the grind, it’s hard to lay down and open it...

The 54 is the same, but it’s less important on that club at least to me. Again, very solid on full shots and chips that do not require you to try and open the face any.

I’m the opposite. I haven’t encountered a single shot that the 58 cant handle. I have opened that thing all the way up on some crazy tight lies.

Had my first 2 rounds this past weekend with the black Equalizer 54 and 60 wedges in my bag. Actually chipped in on the first hole I used the 54 for a birdie. I also went with graphite in these as they are the first graphite irons I have ever used. They are extremely light. Definitely took a bit getting used to. They also seem to be close to 1/2 longer than a few older wedges I had around. The black finish is awesome. I love how they frame the ball at address. Had a couple of sand shots(boo!) in the 2 rounds, but very happy to say I was able to get out in one each time(yeah!). I did not have any trouble opening either wedge up or closing down to play any shot imagine able. Used the 54 on a couple of full shots at 80+ yards and while I struck them ok, the weight of the club was definitely a mental hurdle I will have to overcome.

I really am glad I decided to venture out and try a OEM that I have never gamed before. The quality is definitely in their product.

I’m the opposite. I haven’t encountered a single shot that the 58 cant handle. I have opened that thing all the way up on some crazy tight lies.
That is a shot I've been working on with all 3 wedges this year and it's been very easy with these.

I think maybe we are getting a little nitpicky with the 58, the real story here is the performance for the price point.
These wedges are $60 less than most of the new wedge releases from other OEMs, and in my testing, they performed on par with a very popular wedge from another OEM. Some won’t look at these wedges because they are from a DTC OEM, but that is a mistake (especially if price point is an important factor).

Had my first 2 rounds this past weekend with the black Equalizer 54 and 60 wedges in my bag. Actually chipped in on the first hole I used the 54 for a birdie. I also went with graphite in these as they are the first graphite irons I have ever used. They are extremely light. Definitely took a bit getting used to. They also seem to be close to 1/2 longer than a few older wedges I had around. The black finish is awesome. I love how they frame the ball at address. Had a couple of sand shots(boo!) in the 2 rounds, but very happy to say I was able to get out in one each time(yeah!). I did not have any trouble opening either wedge up or closing down to play any shot imagine able. Used the 54 on a couple of full shots at 80+ yards and while I struck them ok, the weight of the club was definitely a mental hurdle I will have to overcome.

I really am glad I decided to venture out and try a OEM that I have never gamed before. The quality is definitely in their product.
That's awesome man, I was wondering how you would like them. It took me a few times as well to get used to the light shaft but I am enjoying it now.

What struck me talking with Tyler was how much he believed in their product.
I probably wouldn’t have given these wedges a look without attending the Ben Hogan Experience, but I’m glad I did.

I probably wouldn’t have given these wedges a look without attending the Ben Hogan Experience, but I’m glad I did.

Agreed.

This is very true. I had already tried them and knew what was coming, but listening to him tall to THPers and his genuineness makes it easy to want to try them.

@JDax, as always, great review.
I agree with everyone else on the finish with these, after 20+ rounds, they still look pretty close to new. I have the 50 & 56 and use the 50 for almost everything. Immediately I found it to be very versatile and the spin that these create is what surprised me the most.
I still have a ton of confidence in these when I stand over the ball knowing I can just aim at the flag and "fire away".
Like I've said with their other products in the lineup, for the price point and using the demo program, if your in the market for a new one, these should definitely be on the list to try.

Back