Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Bittersweet feeling as this weekend may be the last time I play the Equalizer Wedges. They have been in my bag for the better part of two years and the 56* pictured below has become my go to club for anything inside of 100 yards. I have improved so much in the time that I got them that they still feel new in a way. I have just recently gained enough confidence to open the face and hit high soft shots on the course and the toe down chipping method has improved my ball striking especially on sketchy lies. They are super versatile on short shots but they are an absolute joy to hit full. The 52* is deadly accurate from the 100-110 yard range and it spins over 10,000 rpm on the trackman.

20191121_144909.jpg

The back of the club is still great looking to my eye although it has gained some character rattling around in my bag.

20191121_144931.jpge

The V-sole that is so versatile and forgiving has some battle scars.

20191121_145002.jpg

The face shows wear but it still works like new. I am super excited to represent team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy and hope the wedges that I am fit into exceed the performance of the Equalizers but they have big shoes to fill.

Bittersweet feeling as this weekend may be the last time I play the Equalizer Wedges. They have been in my bag for the better part of two years and the 56* pictured below has become my go to club for anything inside of 100 yards. I have improved so much in the time that I got them that they still feel new in a way. I have just recently gained enough confidence to open the face and hit high soft shots on the course and the toe down chipping method has improved my ball striking especially on sketchy lies. They are super versatile on short shots but they are an absolute joy to hit full. The 52* is deadly accurate from the 100-110 yard range and it spins over 10,000 rpm on the trackman.

View attachment 8915820

The back of the club is still great looking to my eye although it has gained some character rattling around in my bag.

View attachment 8915821e

View attachment 8915822

The face shows wear but it still works like new. I am super excited to represent team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy and hope the wedges that I am fit into exceed the performance of the Equalizers but they have big shoes to fill.
Still has a lot of life in it!

After what I’m seeing from my Ben Hogan irons makes me want to pull the trigger on a set of these. So many great comments on the versatility it’s hard to say no. Question is do I wait since the season is coming to an end?

After what I’m seeing from my Ben Hogan irons makes me want to pull the trigger on a set of these. So many great comments on the versatility it’s hard to say no. Question is do I wait since the season is coming to an end?

Why wait? Even if you can't play, they will look damn good sitting in your bag with those amazing irons. Plus you will be able to hit the ground running when the brutal weather subsides in 2020. Yes, I am a huge fan boy of these wedges. Haha

Why wait? Even if you can't play, they will look damn good sitting in your bag with those amazing irons. Plus you will be able to hit the ground running when the brutal weather subsides in 2020. Yes, I am a huge fan boy of these wedges. Haha
You are right and I do plan on getting some short game work done in the offseason.
Not to mention I need these in my bag.

View attachment 8915820

View attachment 8915821e

View attachment 8915822

Looking good Dan. I am kind of sad that these will be taking a back seat to your main bag but certainly understand. I hope the Callaways live up to the high expectations these have set for your wedge game and glad to hear you gained so much proficiency and confidence with them.

I bought the black ones back in June when I got the PTx Pro irons. They have been sitting in my extra clubs bag for about the last 3 months in favor of the satin chrome wedges because, for some reason, they just haven't performed the same for me.

You are right and I do plan on getting some short game work done in the offseason.
Not to mention I need these in my bag.

Plus the price is so stupid good on these, especially for how well they perform, that you almost can't pass up the chance to add them to the bag ASAP.

59D324D5-78E1-4944-AD69-9C2078324734.jpeg
The Hogan wedges will be staying in the bag...

10% off the already great price of these awesome wedges in the DBM (black) finish right now.

10% off the already great price of these awesome wedges in the DBM (black) finish right now.

Really tempting proposition!

So my season is over here in Ohio and I now have a lot of rounds in with these wedges since I got them at the Ben Hogan Experience and wanted to do an end of the year review. For reference I was playing Cleveland RTX 3 with recoil 125 shafts before these.

Looks- I went with the Equalizer Black 50/54/58 with recoil smacwrap 780F4 and they are fantastic looking. The black has held up really well throughout the year as you can see in the pictures. This is the first set of black wedges I have owned and had seen some other pictures from other OEM's and was wondering how these would hold up. I have been very surprised how great these still look after a season on them and I play a lot of golf.

Performance- I can't say enough good things about these wedges in the performance department. From short shots around the green to full shots from 110 yards, these wedges have been really good for me this season. I was a little concerned coming from heavier shafts to the smacwrap but in the wedges I didn't have many issues getting used to them. The only thing I noticed for me was that I was getting the ball up pretty high compared to what I was used to but honestly liked that ball flight a little better than what I was used to. I felt that they were really hard to mishit on full shots which made things a lot easier and gave me a lot of confidence. I use the 54 the most as it's my 80-100 yard club and my most used wedge around the green to chip with. Around the greens I was able to do about anything I wanted to with these wedges and had an easy transition from my old wedges. The Vsole made it really easy for me on full shots as I'm usually a digger but I am able to pick the ball really nicely with these and it limited the mishits quite a bit for me.

Overall- These wedges have kicked out the RTX3 from my bag. Between the looks and performance they are the right club for me right now. The only knock I have on this club is the grip as been mentioned before by a few people. Unfortunately there is only one option through Ben Hogan at this time and I am not a fan of the grip as it's really thin and gets slippery in the heat. I will be changing the grips before the start of the next season.

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_182455537.jpg
    IMG_20191212_182455537.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20191212_182356348.jpg
    IMG_20191212_182356348.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20191212_182307233.jpg
    IMG_20191212_182307233.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 13
Didn't think I would get out again before the year ended but we had a nice 60 degree day here in Ohio and got to use the wedges quite a bit today. They were a big reason I shot so well today, had 2 birdies that were both set up by great wedge shots. First one was from about 65 yards, and flighted in a 54 degree wedge that checked up really nice less than 2 feet away. And on the last hole from 75, I hit a high 58 degree wedge that landed a foot in front of the hole and rolled right behind the hole for a great end to the round birdie.

6 rounds so far in 2020 and already have 3 chip ins (1 eagle and 2 birdies) with these wedges. I do believe they are still serving me quite well.

6 rounds so far in 2020 and already have 3 chip ins (1 eagle and 2 birdies) with these wedges. I do believe they are still serving me quite well.

That's awesome! I got out Tuesday and left one about 2 inches away for a tap in birdie. I'm loving these as well still.

Well then. Wedge Ponder Friday turned Fresh Wedge Friday. Three of these just got dropped off and are defrosting ❄?

First thoughts...

54885974-961B-4823-99EE-66738049EF49.jpeg

Back