Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

I warmed up today hitting the 50* Equalizer today. These wedges are SO GOOD! They perform! Hitting little 1/2 or 3/4 pitches...turf interaction is top notch! I hit one so flush, it was like I swung and hit nothing at all. The black DBM finish looks good and is holding up exceptionally well! The V-sole definitely works. So much bang for your buck!

Those look great! 128g Recoils. What's the swing weight on those wedges now?

Got me. I've asked @BHGtylerb.

ETA: I checked the Ben Hogan website. With a Dynamic Gold steel shaft, the swing weight is D4 so I imagine the wedges are D4.

I warmed up today hitting the 50* Equalizer today. These wedges are SO GOOD! They perform! Hitting little 1/2 or 3/4 pitches...turf interaction is top notch! I hit one so flush, it was like I swung and hit nothing at all. The black DBM finish looks good and is holding up exceptionally well! The V-sole definitely works. So much bang for your buck!
Is the v sole in all of the wedges or do they offer different grinds?
These arrived this morning! Thanks to @BHGtylerb and @DannyLe for getting these built for me.

View attachment 8931002

View attachment 8931003
Those are amazing- helluva setup

Is the v sole in all of the wedges or do they offer different grinds?

They all have the V-sole. It changes slightly from loft to loft.
477C12BC-99FE-42F7-ACFD-D3D77B5B44F4.png

I was really thinking about getting 48 in the black DVB before winning the 2020 Titleist Vokey Experience. I think the Black DBM finish with the red lettering may be my favorite looking wedge.

These are just ridiculous! More THPers need to give these a chance!

Man, do these wedges perform! They are fun to hit, now that I’m swinging better. And, if I can toot my own horn a second, apparently I’m a lot better bunker player than I thought! Open the 54* or 58*, opened my stance, make a good full swing, and just blasted out of the super soft sand!

Found an old equalizer at the thrift store a few days ago looking for clubs for campus golf. First hogan club I’ve bought. Haven’t got to hit a golf ball with it yet, but I enjoyed Hitting tennis balls with it!

Found an old equalizer at the thrift store a few days ago looking for clubs for campus golf. First hogan club I’ve bought. Haven’t got to hit a golf ball with it yet, but I enjoyed Hitting tennis balls with it!
If it's an older "E" wedge, that is a pitching wedge. Ben Hogan always called his pw his"Equalizer"! Can you post a picture?

Even before Scor, those soles were introduced by Reid-Lockhart which still has a web page, whether or not they still sell clubs.

Some people play well with them, but I like low bounce and have 3º bounce on my 58.

If it's an older "E" wedge, that is a pitching wedge. Ben Hogan always called his pw his"Equalizer"! Can you post a picture?
Here’s the pictures of it! Doesn’t have an “E” or anything

Attachments

• 5B3457AA-855C-4D7D-B514-A9B731B3C490.jpeg
    5B3457AA-855C-4D7D-B514-A9B731B3C490.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 67893771-651F-4C0C-9083-E8048EC5E55D.jpeg
    67893771-651F-4C0C-9083-E8048EC5E55D.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 16
Here’s the pictures of it! Doesn’t have an “E” or anything
That looks like an early 70s model apex. That’s before he started marking them “E”. That is probably a 50* wedge.

Man, do these wedges perform! They are fun to hit, now that I’m swinging better. And, if I can toot my own horn a second, apparently I’m a lot better bunker player than I thought! Open the 54* or 58*, opened my stance, make a good full swing, and just blasted out of the super soft sand!

JB Arn was one of the best on the mic of all time.

Kind of meandering my way through this thread reading all the feedback. If the Hogan irons Pan out in a future purchase, I may just add these to match!

Last edited:
Kind of meandering my way through this thread reading all the feedback. If the Hogan irons Pan out in a future purchase, I may just add these to match!

Even if the irons don't pan out, you would not regret adding these.

Just for reference on those Equalizer soles:
reidlockhart.herokuapp.com/

Back