Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

It's a combo of great design, milled face, v-sole. Just great performing clubs. And the DBM finish just raises it to another level!
Vsole makes every design better

I was able to play three rounds with @JB's my new 50/54/60 Equalizer wedges last week and for those who may not recall, they are shafted with Recoil 780 F4 Smacwrap shafts. The first 9 with them was a learning experience since they are a completely different set up from my RTX4 set, but once I got the timing down, I was on it again.

My initial thoughts are that these wedges are really, really easy to elevate. From a crispy lie they are almost automatic frankly. I have struggled the most with my 60 lately, and over the these last few rounds the Hogan 60 was my wedge of choice. With the graphite shaft, I am getting more distance with my 60 (about 75 yards) on full swings, but still have a ton of feel for those green side touch shots that need to get up and down over trouble. BHG nailed the v-sole design on these.

As someone who tends to be a "picker" from the sand, I am still having a bit of trouble getting comfortable with these wedges compared to my RTX4 set, which has a more rounded trailing edge and a slightly lower profile shape in the sole. I think with a bit of practice and a small change in technique I should be more comfortable with them.

625D9121-BC9D-49E3-98E4-22D6D8322092.jpeg5954906B-C083-4B2A-9DD9-51D17ABC26D2.jpeg

My initial thought are that these wedges are a phenomenal choice for anyone who, like me, struggles with a consistent wedge game. They have a big face and the weight placement really helps promote acceleration of head through the ball, a common new golfer trouble point.

Haha at that strikethrough @BigDill

I have been logging quite a few hours with these chipping around the yard. We have another week to go here in NH before golf opens for the season. I am pretty happy at this point with partial shots - the 10-30 yards pitch shot. I like my wedges to be automatic, like an extension of my hand that I don't have to think about. These are pretty much there.

It could be me, by my impression is the bounce setup on these does not suffer the flipped wrist of fools gladly. I have found I will tend to skull the ball off a tight lie unless I nip it properly with hands even or slightly ahead of the ball. However, when properly nipped, I can still get very nice elevation and spin off tight lies. The flip side of this (and of lots of questionable early spring lies), it that it helps you work on your weak points of contact. I feel like tight muddy lies with little grass are some of the toughest of all to hit consistent wedge shots. The Equalizers have given me plenty of feedback on how to make that shot work, and are facilitating some pretty tight dispersion on landing spot and flight window.

The more I use these the more I like them, and I have not even hit a full shot yet. Looking forward to cracking the throttle on golf season wide open. By the time I actually get on real grass (with cushion!) with these things I am expecting to be impressed by ease of use, and results.

I think Cleveland's wedges have generally been pretty heft compared to other lighter weight. How does the weight compare? I see the weight promotes acceleration just curious if there was a huge difference.

I was able to play three rounds with @JB's my new 50/54/60 Equalizer wedges last week and for those who may not recall, they are shafted with Recoil 780 F4 Smacwrap shafts. The first 9 with them was a learning experience since they are a completely different set up from my RTX4 set, but once I got the timing down, I was on it again.

My initial thoughts are that these wedges are really, really easy to elevate. From a crispy lie they are almost automatic frankly. I have struggled the most with my 60 lately, and over the these last few rounds the Hogan 60 was my wedge of choice. With the graphite shaft, I am getting more distance with my 60 (about 75 yards) on full swings, but still have a ton of feel for those green side touch shots that need to get up and down over trouble. BHG nailed the v-sole design on these.

As someone who tends to be a "picker" from the sand, I am still having a bit of trouble getting comfortable with these wedges compared to my RTX4 set, which has a more rounded trailing edge and a slightly lower profile shape in the sole. I think with a bit of practice and a small change in technique I should be more comfortable with them.

View attachment 8941145View attachment 8941146

My initial thought are that these wedges are a phenomenal choice for anyone who, like me, struggles with a consistent wedge game. They have a big face and the weight placement really helps promote acceleration of head through the ball, a common new golfer trouble point.

I used to try to "pick" the ball out of the sand too! One thing that helped me learn and be comfortable with taking a longer swing and blasting the ball out of the sand, was I purchased a Cleveland Smart Sole wedge last year. It really was easy using that club. Then, I transitioned to the Equalizers and have had great results ever since.

I am starting to get these wedges dialed in and boy are they fun. The Recoil shaft combo is awesome. It allows the ball to get up in a hurry but gives you a ton of feel on touch shots. I have been shocked at how easy the 60 is to hit.

@Jman I know you mentioned in a thread a long time ago that a lot of your HS players aren't allowed to hit a 60 until they show a certain level of proficiency. Have you thought about having some of those borderline players try these wedges? As someone who struggles with wedge play, I am not sure I have found an easier to hit wedge. I love the RTX4, and they certainly generate more spin and allow more versatility with manipulating the club head and ball flight, but these Equalizers are point and shoot from just about any condition, especially the rough.

I am starting to get these wedges dialed in and boy are they fun. The Recoil shaft combo is awesome. It allows the ball to get up in a hurry but gives you a ton of feel on touch shots. I have been shocked at how easy the 60 is to hit.

@Jman I know you mentioned in a thread a long time ago that a lot of your HS players aren't allowed to hit a 60 until they show a certain level of proficiency. Have you thought about having some of those borderline players try these wedges? As someone who struggles with wedge play, I am not sure I have found an easier to hit wedge. I love the RTX4, and they certainly generate more spin and allow more versatility with manipulating the club head and ball flight, but these Equalizers are point and shoot from just about any condition, especially the rough.
I’d rather them learn how to be versatile, they can hit all the shots they need with their SW, they just have to learn how. A LW becomes a crutch.

I love the 60 degree wedge. It has been awesome for me the last two rounds. It does just about anything you want it to do. I was concerned that the Recoil 780s would feel really light, but I think that the combination is really nice. Tons of feel on partial shots. But more importantly, the setup feeing a bit more head-heavy has really helped me get through the bottom of my swing, something that I struggle with. The 50 and 54 are really good, but man the 60 has become a weapon for me from about 70 and in.

These wedges have been rock solid even after a 2 month layoff. Nice to know I can always count on them to hold a round together when other aspects of my game are not quite up to snuff.

These wedges have been rock solid even after a 2 month layoff. Nice to know I can always count on them to hold a round together when other aspects of my game are not quite up to snuff.
Do you have recoils in the wedges?

I holed out from about 40 today with my Equalizer 60. These wedges have been magic for me. Tons of feel and control. I was really spooked to play such a light shaft in a wedge, but man I am not sure that a fitter could have done any better. In a perfect world I would like them to generate a bit more spin off the face, but that would be nitpicking. These are freaking awesome.

Still say, these are one of the most underrated wedges out there. Great feel, great look and the performance is outstanding. "Point and shoot" would be the best way for me to describe them. My 50 and 56 have the DBM finish and over the course of using them for a year it has held up very well, little to no noticeable wear at all!

Still say, these are one of the most underrated wedges out there. Great feel, great look and the performance is outstanding. "Point and shoot" would be the best way for me to describe them. My 50 and 56 have the DBM finish and over the course of using them for a year it has held up very well, little to no noticeable wear at all!
I agree with all of this. When I first got my set, I was a bit apprehensive that the Recoil 780 ES shafts were so much lighter than my prior set (87g vs 130g). During my first round with them, I struggled. But after a range session, I dialed them in and they have been as close to automatic for me as could be. In each of my last three rounds, I have either holed out or hit the stick at least once. The touch I have with them with the lighter shafts has been awesome.

I have been playing from nearly every bunker on the course lately :unsure:

And through this, I have hit some fantastic bunker shots with both the 54 and 58. I'm not a great bunker player, but I have been getting my fair share out and close. I've used the 54 the most, for buried lies, ball in footprint, longer shots... all were handled pretty effortlessly. The 58 has been really nice on short sided work, including one I stuck 2 feet from a 10 ft deep bunker 20 yards away, and only 15-20 ft. of green. That shot flew and must have bit perfect, I would have loved to have seen it I was blind!

I am swinging them well from the fairway, and have been chipping enough that I am quite confident. I even used the 50* to hit a wild knockdown from 80yds out into an elevated green that barely rose 10 f.t above green level, skipped hard on the front tier and skidded to a halt on the mid-tier 10 feet from the pin.

So far I'm pretty happy - these have a great shape to them as well. DBM has held up to bunker fill that more closely resembles bank run gravel than sand without flinching. I have literally had to throw large rocks off the green that I launched hole-high (I felt bad for the mechanic that would have to fix the mower). The leading edge bounce of my 54* is developing an attractive workman-like patina 💪

Nice pair of knockdown downwind 58* off hardpan 🤩. 95yds and 82 yds

E1FBDE40-5D04-49F3-9E25-56B96D4D6B0C.jpeg

Getting cocky ... took the picture and then stuck it 🎯

C82C6AB9-6126-4BED-86FB-C5E9323D1774.jpeg266BC875-5349-467D-BC94-11E20C88052B.jpeg

Edit : Touch sand save on the last hole too
139B2448-5F69-4B87-96FD-1B88792ED564.jpegCC67D0A0-E98A-469E-9150-3B0427AE4FB8.jpeg

I am rapidly reaching a really happy place with the Equalizers. Wedge game around the green was on fire today, in particular with the 58*. I finessed this crazy short-side lob up onto a shelf and nearly holed it, sat 6" past the hole. Many other par saves to within 3-4'. Great feel from the fairway on approaches, consistent and easy to hit.

A 50* pictorial
IMG_6522.jpg

Pure.
IMG_6524 (1).jpg

Pitched on downslope next to hole - skipped a little past, and made the birdie on 18 :love:
IMG_6525.jpg

PS - The 2nd ball toward the front of the green is a 3/4 PTx Pro PW out of the rough near the cartpath. Not too shabby.

I was having some contact and consistency issues today at my lesson. My instructor had me grab a wedge and focus on making a 1/2 swing, then accelerating through to a full finish. These wedges feel so soft. Even with range balls, you get a satisfying snappy click. The v-sole really works to keep the club from digging to much and turf interaction is phenomenal! The proprietary DBM finish is holding up tremendously well. Definitely the best wedges available at that price point.

Darts were thrown from 90-110 yards today. Fully dialed in on the approaches with gap wedge and sand wedge.

The DBM finish is holding up tremendously on these. Sound and feel on contact is addictive. The 58* is crazy good out of the sand!

Back