Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

I'll be ordering a set of these soon. I'm going to go with the 50, 54, 58, but haven't decided on chrome versus black. I'm working with Danny at UST to get a set of Recoil 110s to put in them so I have matching shafts down the line.

That's what I went with, i had never had black so I went that route and haven't been disappointed yet. The wedges are fantastic.

I'll be ordering a set of these soon. I'm going to go with the 50, 54, 58, but haven't decided on chrome versus black. I'm working with Danny at UST to get a set of Recoil 110s to put in them so I have matching shafts down the line.

I had the same dilemma! I'm a chrome guy normally. I demoed the Equalizers in May and the back of the wedges have this "crosshatch" pattern. Just not a fan of that look in chrome. I know I wouldn't see it when I played, but it made me take a chance on the black Equalizers! I am glad I did! They look great! Clean and modern. Plus, it matches the Putters. So, if it helps, my vote is for DBM! But, the black Equalizers are on backorder I think!

Unfortunately, no matter which finish I go with, at least one loft I want is backordered. I assume the DBM finish is holding up well?

I ordered the PTX Pro 4-PW, Recoil 780 F4 w Smacwrap, 56* and 60* blacked out equalizer wedges w/KBS Tour V stiff, and 21* VKTR. The PTX Pros went on backorder after I placed the order, so I don't have them yet

The wedges are very nice and so far the finish is far superior to my blacked Vokey SM6 52*. It's already worn completely off the sole and the contact area on the face. I also much prefer the vsole of the equalizer to that of the Vokey. The vokeys leading edge is very unforgiving on those touch chip shots, so I don't much use it anymore.

Get some, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

These continue to be a bright spot in my bag. I have a whole new arsenal of shots with these wedges. I've hit more flops, and pitches than I've hit in the last 5 years combined and most importantly, they are going where I aim.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had another solid 9 with these. Didn’t hit many good shots with any other clubs but the wedges saved me. I just have an absurd amount of confidence with these to hit any shot, even shots I have no business trying.

That comes from 2 things. First is the V sole. I’ve said it multiple times and I’ll say it again. Hogan got the V sole right. It’s better than Srixon/Cleveland’s, IMO. If you’re a digger you should definitely check these out.

The second is the spin. It’s predictable. With other wedges I’ve played this year (Vokey, RTX-3, Ping Glide 2.0) I never knew what I was going to get. I’d expect it to roll and it’d check. Play for it to check and it rolls out. Not with the Hogan’s. It seems like no matter what shot I play the ball does what I expect it to.

I’ll keep updating as I play more. If you’re in the market for wedges and don’t at least demo these you’re doing yourself a disservice

The biggest praise these wedges get from me so far is on full shots. I have always struggled with catching full wedge shots thin and hitting line drives as my main miss. I have so much confidence standing over a wedge shot now, I know that it's going to get up high and stick the green.

Just traded in my old Miz JPX825Pro and ordered black 56 and 60 equalizers, the towel and umbrella. I’m turning into a Hogan Ho once again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just traded in my old Miz JPX825Pro and ordered black 56 and 60 equalizers, the towel and umbrella. I’m turning into a Hogan Ho once again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Had a really good day today with these wedges. Got up and down many times and had a sand save. They are just so easy to hit.

Another great day on full shots as well, had this from 75 with the 58* that set up one of my 2 birdies.
3c221f0e2bd162ff06f480174d5a1bce.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

My wife got me a 60 degree for my birthday. While I did not take it out on the course, I used it around the chipping green. I like what I am seeing - I think the 60 degree will be better than my 2009 Vokeys. I am looking forward to getting a 54 degree to match the 60.

My wife got me a 60 degree for my birthday. While I did not take it out on the course, I used it around the chipping green. I like what I am seeing - I think the 60 degree will be better than my 2009 Vokeys. I am looking forward to getting a 54 degree to match the 60.

That's a helluva present ! You will not be disappointed!

During the Ben Hogan Experience, two words kept coming up when talking about the Equalizer wedges...."soft" and "spinny"! Now I understand these are highly complicated golf terms, so lets expand on that. The Equalizer wedges were released in early 2018. These became the new wedge offerings to replace the older model, TK wedge. Gone was the 1 degree loft increments from 44*-62*, the new Equalizer offered lofts from 48*-62* in 2* gaps. Next, the "muscle cut" graduated cavity of the TK wedge was replaced with a more traditional backing featuring a milled crosshatch pattern. A redesigned v-sole was implemented as well. Offered only in chrome, the black finish was released in late 2018. Unlike most modern cast wedges, these are fully forged and cnc milled from 1025 carbon steel. A noticeable softness can be immediately felt, especially if one is used to playing a cast wedge. Equalizer wedges feature a different CG placement from lower lofted clubs to higher lofted...to prevent ballooning and offer a ball flight that cuts through the wind. "U" grooves were machined into the club face and well as micro grooves to allow for extreme backspin. Ben Hogan does not offer a half a dozen different grind options. They rely on their patented "v-sole" to fit the majority of golfers..from a picker to a digger...I am the latter. Ben Hogan wasn't the longest hitter, but he was deadly accurate with his wedge. This is the reason he called it his "Equalizer". You can definitely see and feel at accuracy in the shots you hit! I was paired with Tyler Brewton from BH Golf. I had a 20 yard pitch into a back sloping green on the back 9 at Gaylord Springs. I needed to get it close to the pin. I asked Tyler, "If I go for the pin, will it stop?" He smirked..."yeah, it will stop!" So, I trusted my partner and Ben Hogan Golf and took a chance! It delivered on his promise! These wedges will bite hard or spin back for you. I played the original TK wedges. I liked there looks that basically followed my Ft. Worths from 4 iron to 59*! These really out perform those first wedges by a wide margin...with spin, flight, and bounce! I am not a big fan of the crosshatched pattern on the back of the clubhead. I know this is a minor detail. I demoed the chrome and am not a huge fan of black clubs, but I am glad I chose them. They have a great look...more "work horse" than wall decoration. I think that the fact that every participant in the BH Experience including JDax and E1iterate, chose the black wedges tells you how good the finish is.image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPGimage6.JPG

continued...
image7.JPGimage8.JPG

Played 18 today before the rain, and these wedges played a huge part in best round of the year. I had a bird on #1 that I nearly chipped in for Eagle, 5-6 holes that I chipped, bumped or flopped within 5' to save par after some course management issues. I just have confidence that drips around the greens with these.

Last edited:
I'm going to stop reading this thread until my 48, 52 & 56 Equalizer wedges arrive. Simply CAN'T wait to get them in play.

I'm going to stop reading this thread until my 48, 52 & 56 Equalizer wedges arrive. Simply CAN'T wait to get them in play.
Honestly, had I known how good these really are I would have went forward with checking to see if I could trade my PW for a 46. Not that there is anything wrong with the PTX PW, but more indicative of how good these are.

For those that may be wondering how the DBM finish is holding up on these wedges, the pictures below should tell the story. I have used them for approximately 30 rounds and use my wedges A LOT during every round. The 58 degree (bottom on the picture of the faces) is used in 99% of greenside bunker shots at my home course.

f83c7f8b77a132143c8eb1d6e0c1281f.jpg
d99b8ec6dc14f58d75dfe8c9740db7b3.jpg

Thanks Sox - they still look almost brand new.

Played 18 today before the rain, and these wedges played a huge part in best round of the year. I had a bird on #1 that I nearly chipped in for Eagle, 5-6 holes that I chipped, bumped or flopped within 5' to save par after some course management issues. I just have confidence that drips around the greens with these.

It's funny how people have different tastes. You would give up the PTx Pro PW for another Equalizer wedge and I would trade my 50* Equalizer for a set matching PTx Pro GW.

Thanks Sox - they still look almost brand new.
I am one that is not a stickler for finishes staying perfect looking on clubs (especially the face and sole) that I hit with a hard descending blow. I am really surprised how little use these show considering how much I use them.

Honestly, had I known how good these really are I would have went forward with checking to see if I could trade my PW for a 46. Not that there is anything wrong with the PTX PW, but more indicative of how good these are.

I could easily play an Equalizer in place of the PTx Pro PW and not skip a beat. And that is saying a lot considering how good the PTx Pros are and the fact that I knocked in a PW from 130 yards for eagle just yesterday.

I could easily play an Equalizer in place of the PTx Pro PW and not skip a beat. And that is saying a lot considering how good the PTx Pros are and the fact that I knocked in a PW from 130 yards for eagle just yesterday.

I have a 48* Equalizer that I love. I never would’ve imagined that I could play a blade wedge in that loft but it’s probably my favorite club. I don’t know how they did it but these are really forgiving

Back