Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't used these with a launch monitor. Could be just lighter weight with recoils vs Nippon modus I had in my old set I'm just delivering a little quicker and flickier. But beyond that after adjusting to amount of spin, they are very consistent almost like point and shoot.
I went down in weight a ton when I switched to these as well, but after I made those initial adjustments these wedges have been scoring clubs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I went down in weight a ton when I switched to these as well, but after I made those initial adjustments these wedges have been scoring clubs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That's what I'm gunning for with this set. But anyone reading these, I recommend these wedges 100% no hesitation.

I went with the recoils in my PTxPro and Eq50 but that was just too light when I demoed the 56* so I went with Tour90 Stiff. The extra 20 grams or so made a huge difference for me in knshort game control. To each their own, huh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full swing between 95 and 100 yards with my 58 degree produces a birdie about 50% of the time. Now of I could figure out how to hit my driver about 50 yards furhter of play a course with more than 4 par 5's I could really rack up the birdies. Lol

Played the Par 3 course here in my subdivision. These wedges keep impressing me. The holes range from
65-135 yards. So, you have a lot of shots with your wedges. Ball flight is great. Turf interaction is amazing! I don't chunk these wedges like my old ones. The black finish is really holding up nicely. One thing I did notice was the sound tonight. I am changing my grip and swing right now. I noticed my ball striking was much improved tonight. I was making contact with the ball first, then taking a small divot. This lead to a louder impact sound. Almost a "pop" or loud click. Never heard it before tonight. Not sure if this is the normal sound? I have to be a Hogan mark here and say...I can't think of a better performing forged wedge for $100 a piece!

Just saw that mine was fulfilled today and being as it's only shipping to Houston is said to be here tomorrow. Had my personal best round yesterday at an 81. With my SW being my most used club after my putter and driver, really excited at how much better this wedge can improve my play over the worn down RTX3!

I’m close to getting enough rounds in to post a full review... I have foresight numbers comparing these to my RTX-4s, very interesting findings.

Can’t be more impressed with these wedges so far...

Nothing really to add on these. I’m getting better with distance control and my chipping today was the best best it’s been in awhile. I don’t want to sound like a kiss ass but these are the best wedges I’ve ever played for my game

Nothing really to add on these. I’m getting better with distance control and my chipping today was the best best it’s been in awhile. I don’t want to sound like a kiss ass but these are the best wedges I’ve ever played for my game

Agreed, coming from the RTX3s which I really loved, but these are just so much better.

Agree 100%. I was trying Ping Glide, Maltby, some old Wishons, MAC Daddy, etc. Nothing worked like these do.

The wedges were fantastic today for the entire round. From 60-105 these clubs were flat out awesome for me today and saved me a lot of strokes. They are so easy to hit and I just point and shoot with them. I had at least 5 shots from outside 60 yards that never left the flagstick in the air. The highlight of the day was needing to make par on 9 to break 40 and after a bad drive I was left with 85 into the green. Stuck it to 4 feet and made the putt for a nice front 9.

OhioGolfer;n8873721 said:
The wedges were fantastic today for the entire round. From 60-105 these clubs were flat out awesome for me today and saved me a lot of strokes. They are so easy to hit and I just point and shoot with them. I had at least 5 shots from outside 60 yards that never left the flagstick in the air. The highlight of the day was needing to make par on 9 to break 40 and after a bad drive I was left with 85 into the green. Stuck it to 4 feet and made the putt for a nice front 9.

Nice. Mine come in tomorrow. VERY excited to add them to my bag, especially after my round today.

justincredible;n8874037 said:
Nice. Mine come in tomorrow. VERY excited to add them to my bag, especially after my round today.

You’ll love them. I’m a horrible wedge player and they make my short game respectable

Finally got to try it yesterday in a round with my Dad and step-family. And, go figure, I get a new sand wedge and hit more shots in the sand than I ever have in a round before. Never got stuck, always immediately out which was very good. The round started at 7:20am. So, being in Super Humid Houston it was quite soggy to start the round then the ground hardened up by the middle of the back 9.

I got there pretty early to get some practice in and on the practice green I hit some great chips and flops that rolled within a couple of feet of the hole or in the hole. Then on the practice range I finally got to hit some full shots and they were just butter smooth. I would just see the ball flying while simultaneously hearing the soft click of the ball hitting the face. Compared to my RTX3, those shots with range balls, you definitely feel them.

On course with full shots were good, distance was a little different (slightly longer) than my Clevelands so I didn't really have any pin finders as I was trying to hone in proper distancing. But, even on these greens that are a lot faster than the greens I typically play, they were checking up quite nicely. I used it pretty much every shot between 40 - 115 yards, half of my chips, and out of the many many bunkers. So far, it's a winner.

I did hit one shot kinda fat early on in the round while the ground was still soggy. I was going for about 110 yards, and even with all the turf I took with it, it still flew about 90. So, the turf interaction and forgiveness was great compared to my RTX3 which would've left me an extra 20+ yards extra to go on a similar shot.

Oh, and the stock grip is going off today. It's not a bad grip, per se. But, being that I prefer softer corded grips (Lamkin UTx or Players Cord) it was hard to get used to and my hands felt like they could slip. Though, luckily they never did.

Kytul88;n8874489 said:
Finally got to try it yesterday in a round with my Dad and step-family. And, go figure, I get a new sand wedge and hit more shots in the sand than I ever have in a round before. Never got stuck, always immediately out which was very good. The round started at 7:20am. So, being in Super Humid Houston it was quite soggy to start the round then the ground hardened up by the middle of the back 9.

I got there pretty early to get some practice in and on the practice green I hit some great chips and flops that rolled within a couple of feet of the hole or in the hole. Then on the practice range I finally got to hit some full shots and they were just butter smooth. I would just see the ball flying while simultaneously hearing the soft click of the ball hitting the face. Compared to my RTX3, those shots with range balls, you definitely feel them.

On course with full shots were good, distance was a little different (slightly longer) than my Clevelands so I didn't really have any pin finders as I was trying to hone in proper distancing. But, even on these greens that are a lot faster than the greens I typically play, they were checking up quite nicely. I used it pretty much every shot between 40 - 115 yards, half of my chips, and out of the many many bunkers. So far, it's a winner.

I did hit one shot kinda fat early on in the round while the ground was still soggy. I was going for about 110 yards, and even with all the turf I took with it, it still flew about 90. So, the turf interaction and forgiveness was great compared to my RTX3 which would've left me an extra 20+ yards extra to go on a similar shot.

Oh, and the stock grip is going off today. It's not a bad grip, per se. But, being that I prefer softer corded grips (Lamkin UTx or Players Cord) it was hard to get used to and my hands felt like they could slip. Though, luckily they never did.

Glad to hear you like them. The grips have been a weak spot for many of us. Start getting those distances down and watch them start finding the pin!!

Had them ship the grips separately because I wasn't a fan of the stocks. Had these installed tonight, really liking the shaft/grip combo. If I were planning on keeping these shafts in I would've been disappointed I didn't get the black heads, but since I'm going to swap these out for Recoil 110s eventually I'm not as bummed. I'll likely put these in some black Maltby M+ wedges as backups once I swap in the 110s.

mJXX6Jy.jpg

Almost 2 months with these and could not be happier. I feel a new confidence with these to get me to the green. Short game was definitely a weakness for me before the Hogan event. Now, I feel like I'm going to make that shot. So much of golf is between the ears and having to worry if you're going to make a bad shot usually means you are. However, If you are confident in your clubs performing, it's much easier to make that shot.

These saved my round from being triple digits today. I drove the ball well but couldn’t hit an iron shot to save my life. Got up and down for a handful of par saves and a bunch of bogey saves because of these. Chipping and those stupid 15-30yd pitch shots are so much easier for me with these. They’re definitely the clubs I’ve been the most impressed with

I have had these in the bag for a year and 3 months and they have been great for my game and a key to my improvement. When I first got them my game was very inconsistent coming from a long layoff from golf. I had never played a forged club so they felt very different than the cast set wedges I had been playing. They helped me immediately around the green with good spin and the sole not digging helped dozens of fat chips and pitches get to the green.

As I improved I went from a bump and run approach around the green to a spin and check strategy. It was fun learning how much a Urethane covered ball differed from a Surlyn ball and for the first time I needed to carry a 60 degree wedge for scoring purposes. I also started flighting the ball down with full or near full swings and seeing the lower flight and check up on the greens was a thrill when I pulled it off.

The final frontier for these wedges for me is experimenting with opening the face for chipping and pitching. Bunker shots are the only time I open the face on the course. I practice the flop shot a lot and am pretty good at it but the fear of sculling one on the course makes my shy away from it. My coach is working with me to open up the 60* when chipping to make the ball land softer and stop fast. I know these are the things that will lower my scores, I just have to trust that I can have success doing it.

These wedges have been a great learning tool and the performance on the course is phenomenal. I would be due for some fresh Equalizers next year but my participating in the Grandaddy has changed that plan. I know that Callaway will fit me into some great wedges that will work just fine but these will always have a special place in my heart and if I need a change of pace for confidence they will go right back in the bag.

It's probably just me, but has anyone that's switched to these who was used to generating a decent amount of check on shorter pitches 15-30 yards seen a drop off in the amount of spin?

Like I said, probably me, but I have recently struggled with controlling the distance on shorter pitches with these Hogan's. The reason I say it could be me is that I'm just getting over having the chipping yips, chunking short ones and such...took a while to get over and more attention to my form, etc...so I may just be adjusting, but I wanted to check around and see if anyone has seen a drop off in spin?

Moved to these wedges after some struggle with Glides and Maltby DBM forged. I noticed an increase in spin. Had to adjust carrying the ball closer to the hole because of all the check I’m getting.

#lovethesewedges

gbtrsc;n8890577 said:
Moved to these wedges after some struggle with Glides and Maltby DBM forged. I noticed an increase in spin. Had to adjust carrying the ball closer to the hole because of all the check I’m getting.

#lovethesewedges

Yeah, I think it's me...a combination of that and them firming up the greens at my home course over the last month or so for the tournament golf.

gbtrsc;n8890577 said:

#lovethesewedges

These wedges are amazing and so easy to hit, I don't know how they will ever get beat out of my bag.

Back