Titleist AVX Ball Review Thread

So I was able to put this ball in play this weekend.
The yellow is great, stands out, easy to see in the fairways and rough.
Off the tee this ball is long, I was surprised a couple times. I'm not a long knocker off the tee, usually around 230 is a good drive for me, but with this ball it was consistently at that distance or more. I like the consistency of it, not much movement left or right. I did slice one bad but that was me.
Felt good off the driver and irons, not loud at all.
I get plenty of height on my iron shots so the ball will come in pretty steep, not much rollout on 8-PW shots.
Chips where a bit different and got more rollout than I care to have.
Over all I think this ball is a great value, and I will keep it in play here a few more rounds to get a better feel for it.

Off the tee this ball is long, I was surprised a couple times. I'm not a long knocker off the tee, usually around 230 is a good drive for me, but with this ball it was consistently at that distance or more. I like the consistency of it, not much movement left or right. I did slice one bad but that was me.
I get plenty of height on my iron shots so the ball will come in pretty steep, not much rollout on 8-PW shots.
Over all I think this ball is a great value, and I will keep it in play here a few more rounds to get a better feel for it.

Would you use this over the Pro V1X Snickerdog? I had some promo Pro V1X from my company and I put them into play because I forgot to grab some of my Bridgestone RXs from my garage so I had to use the Pro V1X and I am really digging this ball. I haven’t played the AVX, but from I hear, they launch high and don’t spin a lot so I, not sure it would be for me,

Titleist AVX Ball Review Thread

Would you use this over the Pro V1X Snickerdog? I had some promo Pro V1X from my company and I put them into play because I forgot to grab some of my Bridgestone RXs from my garage so I had to use the Pro V1X and I am really digging this ball. I haven’t played the AVX, but from I hear, they launch high and don’t spin a lot so I, not sure it would be for me,

AVX would kind of be the opposite of the ProV1x.

ProV1x is the highest spinning Titleist ball and AVX is the lowest spinning. ProV1 is in the middle of these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I would not, I need the extra spin around the green. I don't prefer to have to play for rollout because a ball won't spin enough for me. I would rather play the 1X and know what I can do with it.

AVX would kind of be the opposite of the ProV1x.

ProV1x is the highest spinning Titleist ball and AVX is the lowest spinning. ProV1 is in the middle of these two.

I thought the X spun less than the V1 but maybe I’m confused?

I thought the X spun less than the V1 but maybe I’m confused?

X spun less on tee shots at my fitting and more on wedge and approach shots.

ProV1X - Highest Compression
ProV1 - Middle Compression
AVX - Lowest Compression

That's how the Titleist Urethane ball selection goes.

4405872539bcd67f7d39e34749aa2d1f.jpg

Here is a great cheat sheet.

This is exactly what I was going to post. A great visual on how each ball works. I still think it’s hard for people to understand which ball is for them though. I was shocked when they said I don’t need the prov1 or X and the AVX was ideal.

1X spins the most, then the ProV1 then AVX.

Many years ago, Pro V1x had a good bit less spin OFF THE DRIVER than Pro V1. Pro V1x was also generally considered longer than Pro V1 OFF THE DRIVER. Titleist say the last couple versions have narrowed that gap and now the DRIVER spin and distance of Pro V1x and Pro V1 are nearly identical.

Pro V1x has always had higher trajectory than Pro V1, especially off the DRIVER.

For irons and wedges Pro V1x has always had more spin than Pro V1.

Glad you were able to test the ball without dropping $40+ on a dozen.
What is in bold is the reason I had a sleeve left of the dozen I bought.
I just didn't like the roll out off of my short irons and felt I wasn't getting rewarded for my good swings.
Was a "deal breaker" for me.

I have this season moved to the AVX and while I haven't done any launch monitor testing just based on visuals I see a large difference especially in the iron game. AVX has brought down my flight and spin and I am at least half a club longer but most importantly these perform so much better in windy conditions whereas other balls for me always tend to spin up, stall, drop dead (short...). Honestly these have likely saved me from buying new clubs. They are not the cheapest but I took advantage of the buy 3 get 1 for free offer so that helps a little.

I have this season moved to the AVX and while I haven't done any launch monitor testing just based on visuals I see a large difference especially in the iron game. AVX has brought down my flight and spin and I am at least half a club longer but most importantly these perform so much better in windy conditions whereas other balls for me always tend to spin up, stall, drop dead (short...). Honestly these have likely saved me from buying new clubs. They are not the cheapest but I took advantage of the buy 3 get 1 for free offer so that helps a little.

On the whole I prefer the 2019 Pro V1x but AVX is definitely near magic in the wind. It has to be really blowing hard to affect AVX at all on a short-iron shot. Don't know how many times I'd watch another guy's ball come up way short on an approach into the wind but then I'd just hit my normal club, normal swing and plop right down on the front of the green.

Glad you were able to test the ball without dropping $40+ on a dozen.
What is in bold is the reason I had a sleeve left of the dozen I bought.
I just didn't like the roll out off of my short irons and felt I wasn't getting rewarded for my good swings.
Was a "deal breaker" for me.

I had another person tell me the same thing, just a bit much rollout.
The ball seemed pretty durable also, I bounced it off a cart path twice.

I appreciate you sending them, and you are correct I don't think this would be a ball I would purchase. I am going to put this in play at league on Tuesday if we do a scramble.

I think the ball fits a specific player. I am a high ball high spin player and the AVX hits and sits for me. Prior balls would be more inconsistent for me as sometimes I’d think I hit s good shot only to see it back up off a green or just farther from the hole.

Played these almost exclusively all weekend and for the most part, I love them.

Biggest complaint is greenside. They are very tough to get significant spin, making touch shots and low pitches much harder without the bite of a traditional 'tour' ball. Obviously it's something I can get used to if they are in play regularly, but not the easiest thing when bouncing around with different balls.

Have to say, the durability has been excellent. After 18 holes, it's still very playable.

I played the AVX most of last year and really liked what it did for my game. Ironically, I have been playing the Pro V1X this year, to better match my lower spinning F9 irons. However, over the weekend, I had a tee shot into the teeth of a 20 plus mph wind and 430 yards of par 4. I happened to have found an AVX and put it in play. The lower spin is such an advantage in the wind. I still had to use driver - 4 iron, but I reached the green. Great ball for certain players.

Put my last AVX in to play this weekend. Made through 10 holes before it ran away.
Was actually happy with the performance I was seeing out of the ball.
Maybe with the summer here and conditions different from earlier this year, this ball performs better.
I was given a dozen as a gift and I'll be putting them into play come September 1st.

Back