Ben Hogan Edge Irons

I think that there is 3* difference between the 6 irons and 2* difference between the 9 irons with the CF16's being stronger. My CF16's are 27 and 40 respectively.

The thing that I was most impressed with was the off-center hits. Normally with a forged iron anything off-center usually rattles your hands, no so with the Edge. It feels like a cast club on toe and thin hits. The club sets up great, the feel is great. just going to have to work on the distances. Could be my swing today, who knows, but I really do like the club and feel.

The PTx I will be getting in less than 2 weeks have the same loft differences from my current JPX 900 Forged so your experiences encourage me in regards to distance loss with weaker lofts. I think the increased loft in the 4 - 6 irons will definitely help me as I really struggle making good strike with those irons with the current stronger lofts.

LB44 hit the 9i yesterday afternoon on the par 3 behind Posey's house yesterday. He agreed wit the other assessments so far, looks good, feels really solid & a little shorter than modern lofted clubs. For the people that need/want more spin on their irons, these would be a good fit. Ron spun the 9i back about 5ft when he hit it.

LB44 hit the 9i yesterday afternoon on the par 3 behind Posey's house yesterday. He agreed wit the other assessments so far, looks good, feels really solid & a little shorter than modern lofted clubs. For the people that need/want more spin on their irons, these would be a good fit. Ron spun the 9i back about 5ft when he hit it.
This is all very interesting feedback. I wouldn't call the PTx irons short at all, but they certainly spin the ball. The profile of the Edge seems to say distance/forgiving but it may be something else. I'm interested in additional feedback and learning how these clubs fit with the rest of Hogan's lineup.

This is all very interesting feedback. I wouldn't call the PTx irons short at all, but they certainly spin the ball. The profile of the Edge seems to say distance/forgiving but it may be something else. I'm interested in additional feedback and learning how these clubs fit with the rest of Hogan's lineup.
I'd say they're more about forgiveness of a GI/SGI iron with the spin characteristics of a players iron. If Hogan would have given them the lofts of modern irons, they would be as long as the CF16s IMO.

I'm distance challenged, so I probably won't buy a set. Maybe Hogan needs to offer a version in the irons with stronger lofts like Ping does with their Powerspec irons. I guess you could always have them bent strong, but I think that would negatively effect the design characteristics of the bounce.

I'd say they're more about forgiveness of a GI/SGI iron with the spin characteristics of a players iron. If Hogan would have given them the lofts of modern irons, they would be as long as the CF16s IMO.

I'm distance challenged, so I probably won't buy a set. Maybe Hogan needs to offer a version in the irons with stronger lofts like Ping does with their Powerspec irons. I guess you could always have them bent strong, but I think that would negatively effect the design characteristics of the bounce.

They do offer free loft adjustments with an order but you are right in that it will impact the bounce of the irons. I am not a long hitter by any means either but I think the increased loft / spin of the PTx that I will be getting will actually help me hold more of the small greens I play 99% of my rounds on. I have no issue hitting an 8 iron when others hit PW as long as that 8 iron goes a predictable distance for me.

went out and got a quick 9 in in-between the rain from the tropical storm and really confirmed everything that I said before. Nice set-up, great feel, nice high ball flight with spin, but definitely a club shorter compared to my CF16's. Maybe this is why the Edge irons have a 4i included in their set! I wish I could try out something more than a 6i or a 9i.

I also think that the Recoil SmacWrap shaft has a something to do with the club feeling so good.

went out and got a quick 9 in in-between the rain from the tropical storm and really confirmed everything that I said before. Nice set-up, great feel, nice high ball flight with spin, but definitely a club shorter compared to my CF16's. Maybe this is why the Edge irons have a 4i included in their set! I wish I could try out something more than a 6i or a 9i.

I also think that the Recoil SmacWrap shaft has a something to do with the club feeling so good.

The club shorter isn't very surprising considering the loft difference. That definitely doesn't help that they are shorter but it looks like it's quite a difference in lofts.

Thanks for all the feedback - I am still mesmerized by the Edges - but I wonder if those seeking a stronger lofted set would be better served with the PTX. The Edge iron do sound great on paper though....I may have to order trial clubs from both.

Anyone test the new Edge's vs. the late 90's, early 2000's models?

I dropped my demo irons off with UPS today to send back to Hogan. I also sent them a note with my thoughts about the irons.

The $20 (including shipping both ways) to try them out at my own pace was well worth it.

I dropped my demo irons off with UPS today to send back to Hogan. I also sent them a note with my thoughts about the irons.

The $20 (including shipping both ways) to try them out at my own pace was well worth it.

Thanks for posting your experiences with these Shakey.

I was curious about the offset on the irons since it was not listed on their specs and got this response from them:

The Edge iron offsets follow as:
4 iron - 0.210
5 iron - 0.195
6 iron - 0.180
7 iron - 0.165
8 iron - 0.150
9 iron - 0.135
PW - 0.120

Played a quick 9 yesterday and have 18 today as well as Sunday. The good about the irons: really like the set-up, the shaft and the feel of the clubs as well as the looks. The negative, being distance challenged, these are almost a full club length shorter than my CF16's with added spin. Even though the CF's were not fit well for me when I purchased them, I still can get good distance(better than the Edge) with reasonable accuracy. Unless something changes dramatically between todays play and Sunday's, I will be sending these back without a purchase.

Played a quick 9 yesterday and have 18 today as well as Sunday. The good about the irons: really like the set-up, the shaft and the feel of the clubs as well as the looks. The negative, being distance challenged, these are almost a full club length shorter than my CF16's with added spin. Even though the CF's were not fit well for me when I purchased them, I still can get good distance(better than the Edge) with reasonable accuracy. Unless something changes dramatically between todays play and Sunday's, I will be sending these back without a purchase.

Does the added spin have any positive effect? Better dispersion? Distance control? Stopping power? Or did you not find discernible differences from the CF16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the added spin have any positive effect? Better dispersion? Distance control? Stopping power? Or did you not find discernible differences from the CF16?

I had to think about that for a while. Stopping power is about the same as the CF16, however, I think if anything it helped with distance control more than anything, even though my shorts were short, they almost always were on line so it did make it easy for an up and down.

Hogan Edge irons (circa 1993) were my favorite irons to play ever, so I finally decided to check out the Ben Hogan Golf website, as well as read online reviews for the latest iteration of Edge irons. From there I decided to order a demo set, but Edge graphite demos (Recoil 760 ES F3) are sold out. Naturally, my curiosity is getting the best of me, so I decided to go ahead and order 4-PW w/Recoil 760 shafts. Now I will have two diverse sets of irons to play with: bomber Rogues, and forged Edges! Looking forward to sharing feedback with the board!

Hogan Edge irons (circa 1993) were my favorite irons to play ever, so I finally decided to check out the Ben Hogan Golf website, as well as read online reviews for the latest iteration of Edge irons. From there I decided to order a demo set, but Edge graphite demos (Recoil 760 ES F3) are sold out. Naturally, my curiosity is getting the best of me, so I decided to go ahead and order 4-PW w/Recoil 760 shafts. Now I will have two diverse sets of irons to play with: bomber Rogues, and forged Edges! Looking forward to sharing feedback with the board!

I hit that same setup at the Ben Hogan event last month and was very impressed with them. Have you seen them in person yet? If not you will be blown away how good they look!!

The PTx I will be getting in less than 2 weeks have the same loft differences from my current JPX 900 Forged so your experiences encourage me in regards to distance loss with weaker lofts. I think the increased loft in the 4 - 6 irons will definitely help me as I really struggle making good strike with those irons with the current stronger lofts.

Is this your second go around with the PTx? Did you have a set two years ago?

Is this your second go around with the PTx? Did you have a set two years ago?
No. This is the first set up Hogans I have owned in about 10 years. Previous Hogan set was Apex Edge Pro from 2002.

so, traditional blade distance with traditional blade spin, but GI/SGI forgiveness? interesting

This has taken way too long!

I have a set of 4-PW Edge Irons, Recoil 760 F3 with SMAC wrap from the Ben Hogan Iron Experience. In Orlando, I spent the weekend with Tyler and Cory from Ben Hogan and they provided us with so much insight into The Ben Hogan Co., marketing, research, basically all questions were answered happily. Thank you so much it was an awesome experience.

To begin a little about myself so you can understand my perspective. I’m about a 27 handicap, I have only owned 1 set of clubs, Mizuno JPX-EZ cast with Orochi regular flex shafts (70g). I started playing golf in Nov. 2016 so my experience with different clubs is rather limited to grabbing a buddies club and hitting it a couple of times on the range. I now play at least 1 round a week and go to the range at least 2 or 3 times a week.

So if The THP Crew has questions, please ask! I will do my best to answer them completely and if I am unable to. I will get the correct and complete answer.

I noticed a few posts earlier on where people referenced concern about the state of the current company. I am not speaking from the standpoint of an investor with inside financial knowledge. I can say that after my discussions with Tyler and Cory, I personally feel that the future of Ben Hogan is bright. There is a small team that is composed of high quality individuals, who are all very good golfers, and care about the products they produce. Wasteful expenses were reduced and they are busting their tails to produce a product that is worthy of the Ben Hogan name.

I had read all the reviews and looked at pictures prior to selecting the Edge Irons. I knew from the start that the Edge Irons were the clubs for me since GI/SGI fits my skill level. Did I want to select the Ft. Worth Black because they look so nice, of course! Did I look at the pictures I saw on THP and the Ben Hogan website and think maybe they were cutting some corners to produce a cheaper club, maybe a little? When I got to Orlando and opened the box of Edge Irons, I was shocked. They looked so much better than I had expected! The badge/plate in the cavity looks really good, not cheap at all. The top line was no near as thick as I had expected. I was super surprised to see the SMAC wrap shafts since that wasn’t mentioned during ordering. Really good looking clubs that feel good at address. Do not be put off by the stock photos!

My reviews will continue in the follow up posts. They will contain my hands on experiences, testimonials from people who have borrowed my clubs and interactions I’ve had with others related to the clubs. I will post regularly as my experience with the Ben Hogan Edge Irons grows. Again, If there is anything you would like to know or pictures you would to see, please ask!

Below are a few pics which you may have seen if you followed the Ben Hogan Iron Experience Live Thread. Followed by a couple of shots that show both the Ben Hogan Edge Iron and Mizuno JPX-EZ next to each other.

2cb6d00985dbf38b062c2884d9032275.jpg

67fe38e4455247834fb9f17ae6e3fe58.jpg

c3950fdf32a632507954086af3848934.jpg

e070369314cc4d00f53ad9ea58b7ef82.jpg

0958e2a21a084ce7534ab8fb0bcfc371.jpg

Sweet bats! These will be fun to work with and with your obvious desire to do the range work you will grow with this set. I see you joined this great site in March. Welcome and hit them like their name sake.

I have had my Ben Hogan Edge Irons for about 7 weeks now. They have been very good to me. I really like the look and feel of them. The satin finish cleans up easy and looks good. I have not noticed any discoloration or loss of finish to date. The grips were a concern to begin with but I have found that playing without a glove makes them feel and work a lot better! And if you really don’t like the grips, that’s an easy fix and I know grips are a personal thing that most avid golfers will change. The Edge Irons feel slightly heavier than the Mizuno clubs but in a good way, They are solid and I don’t expect them to be displaced from my bag anytime soon!

The Edge Irons are also very forgiving. I know that because I am still not hitting everything perfectly centered and while I can feel off center hits they do not “buzz” or “rattle” my hands. I think that has to do with the SMAC wrap shafts. My shots have a very solid feel and most of the time they go in the vicinity of where I aim. When they don’t it is user error and no fault of the equipment. I also feel as though my dispersion has really narrowed. I believe that is because of the forgiveness on bad shots. I know I still make bad shots but more times now they go shorter but not so off target.

I get the feeling that the clubs are more stable. Being in my early stages of golfing I am not sure if that is how an experience golfer would describe it but the shafts do not seem to “whip” on my back swing as much. I feel like they flex but I don’t get the loose feeling that I got from the Orochi shafts on the JPX-EZ.

When it comes to club distance, compared to my Mizuno JPZ-EZ cast clubs I find that distance is very similar. I can not say that one is longer or shorter than the other. I would say the Edge Irons have significantly more spin. I have found that more shots with my shorter irons (8-PW) hit the green and either roll very little or even spin backwards which did not happen with the JPX-EX. The following picture is a shot last week from about 120 yards out with an 8 Iron, the divot is huge and this is California so it’s not like we just had a rainy week to create soggy greens! It doesn’t rain here!

88a48c24fa261b6cd670c049cd212702.jpg

After using the Edge Irons for 7 weeks, I can say without reservations, that I would highly recommend the clubs to anyone. If you are on the fence, utilize the demo program which is a killer deal. $20 gets you clubs to try to 14 days and shipping both ways. I have loaned the clubs to friends who have had nothing but good things to say. I recently ran into a demo rep from another company, not to be named but they are NOT involved with the Grandaddy. He was on the driving range doing the usual demo day for his brand and he told me he thought the clubs would cost at least $200 per Iron! He did not know Ben Hogan was customer direct now and had no idea on price point. Less than $750 for set of handmade forged irons, can you believe it? I told him the cost and his jaw hit the grass!

Sweet bats! These will be fun to work with and with your obvious desire to do the range work you will grow with this set. I see you joined this great site in March. Welcome and hit them like their name sake.

I am a total newbie! I hit the THP forum running! It is so awesome. The people are super nice, welcoming and beyond helpful. I tell everyone about THP.
I am so happy with the sticks and I sure wish I could hit them like Ben Hogan. I just keep working and play my game. Like life, stay in your lane. While frustrating at times, it is such a fun game. Can’t take it serious or it will make you crazy.

I received my demo clubs today. they were out of the Recoil R flex so I tried the KBS Tour 90 S shaft - which is not the right shaft for me. I had just tested the PTX and I really liked them - more on the longer than shorter irons. I am going to try them a couple of more times and see before I send them back. I will post more after hitting them a few more times.

Back