Ben Hogan Edge Irons

Thanks JB. I really am. It’s a small sample size but I’m highly impressed so far

I couldn’t find a review thread so I’ll start one. If there is one feel free to move this.

For the Hogan Experience I got 6-P with KBS 90 shafts. Mine are -1/2”, 2* flat, 2* strong.

I’ve had v soles irons in the past, Srixon 765, but even though the v sole really help my digging they were too much club for me. I went with the Edge over the PTx Pro’s for the extra forgiveness. I could probably play the Pro’s but after this weekend I’m confident I made the right decision.

The v sole on these are different than the Srixon’s. I like the Hogan’s better. With my CB3’s I took to Nashville I was digging “squirrel graves” as e1iterate likes to say. With the Hogan’s I was barely taking a divot. I still took one but not anything like I was. That was great for my hands. Arthritis and being a digger don’t mix.

The forgiveness is excellent. I’m about 1/2 club longer than any of the irons I’ve had this year, even with comparable lofts. I hit some way out on the toe that still got out there with no real directional penalty. If you miss the center of the face you get a lower flight but it keeps enough spin to hold greens. Center face hits feel great and you get a nice high flight that seems to just drop and stop. I think, my best shots were blind so I didn’t see them hit.

All in all I’m very happy with my choice. I think anyone looking for plenty of forgiveness for a high hc but still want a clean look should at the very least demo these. They’ll hang with the big boys for sure.

I’ll update this as I play them more.

Thanks for the mini review. I have these irons (courtesy of THP), but I haven't played them in a while. I've been switching between them and the Cobra F8's, but once my Cobra Connect trial runs out I'll be putting these back in the bag.

I couldn’t find a review thread so I’ll start one. If there is one feel free to move this.

For the Hogan Experience I got 6-P with KBS 90 shafts. Mine are -1/2”, 2* flat, 2* strong.

I’ve had v soles irons in the past, Srixon 765, but even though the v sole really help my digging they were too much club for me. I went with the Edge over the PTx Pro’s for the extra forgiveness. I could probably play the Pro’s but after this weekend I’m confident I made the right decision.

The v sole on these are different than the Srixon’s. I like the Hogan’s better. With my CB3’s I took to Nashville I was digging “squirrel graves” as e1iterate likes to say. With the Hogan’s I was barely taking a divot. I still took one but not anything like I was. That was great for my hands. Arthritis and being a digger don’t mix.

The forgiveness is excellent. I’m about 1/2 club longer than any of the irons I’ve had this year, even with comparable lofts. I hit some way out on the toe that still got out there with no real directional penalty. If you miss the center of the face you get a lower flight but it keeps enough spin to hold greens. Center face hits feel great and you get a nice high flight that seems to just drop and stop. I think, my best shots were blind so I didn’t see them hit.

All in all I’m very happy with my choice. I think anyone looking for plenty of forgiveness for a high hc but still want a clean look should at the very least demo these. They’ll hang with the big boys for sure.

I’ll update this as I play them more.

This is really good feedback LLIB

Played my first 9 with these on my home course. I’m seeing the same thing I saw in Nashville. Excellent forgiveness and distance and the turf interaction is amazing for my swing. Normally I take huge deep divots but with these it’s nice shallow dollar bill size divots.

These don’t spin as much as some other irons but I don’t have any problems holding greens. Here’s an 8i into a 143yd par 3

5c34dbe1b3a25d7a5b3e4b18143c58c1.jpg

The forgiveness is really, really good for an iron of this size. Hit a couple way out on the toe that I thought were gonna be way short and they both carried pin high just left of the flag.

I normally average around 20% GIR (Reason I’m a 24 ) but today I hit 55%. That’s freaking crazy.

I’ll continue to update this as I play more but right now I’ve gotta say Hogan hit a homerun with these. They’re not as attractive as the PTx Pro’s but they’re every bit as good, if not better for me. I would definitely recommend these for anyone looking for max forgiveness in a smaller package.

Played another 27 holes with these and I’m still seeing the same high, straight shots.

Today was a little different though. I struck the ball really well be didn’t score because out of the blue I was airmailing greens. They weren’t the odd flyer or shot coming off unusually hot. Every iron shot was about 2 clubs longer than I’m used to. I went from hitting my 6i 160 to hitting it 180 and every club was like that.

It’ll be interesting to see if that’s my new normal or if it was just a really good day. I’m thinking it’s the former because of the confidence I have in these. I don’t worry about a fat shot, or toe shot, or a hook. I just tell myself to put a smooth swing on it and the club will do its thing.

To be continued......

Played another 27 holes with these and I’m still seeing the same high, straight shots.

Today was a little different though. I struck the ball really well be didn’t score because out of the blue I was airmailing greens. They weren’t the odd flyer or shot coming off unusually hot. Every iron shot was about 2 clubs longer than I’m used to. I went from hitting my 6i 160 to hitting it 180 and every club was like that.

It’ll be interesting to see if that’s my new normal or if it was just a really good day. I’m thinking it’s the former because of the confidence I have in these. I don’t worry about a fat shot, or toe shot, or a hook. I just tell myself to put a smooth swing on it and the club will do its thing.

To be continued......

LLIB...what is your set makeup with Edges and Equalizers?

Really good deal on F8s right now Don Juan. How do they compare to the Edges? Leaning towards the Edges. Big loft difference I understand, but maybe your impressions of like-lofted clubs re feel, accuracy...etc?

I have the 6 and 9 demo irons, and got them out on the course last night. I had time to hit numerous shots on a few holes, and these were pretty great. I was getting about a club more distance than my 714 AP1's, and it was a high and straight ball flight. I also have the PTx Pro's irons to demo, but these were a little better for me. Neither one of them are my specs, and I suspect the PTx Pro's are a flatter lie than these which is causing non-center contact. I need to go through a couple more fitting carts on course, but ponder on some Hogan's is strong.

9 more holes with these and I’m still impressed. I have extreme confidence in these irons, something I’ve not had with an iron set for a long time. Today cemented that. I had a very poor ballstriking day but I was in position to score the whole round. Most shots today were thin or on the toe but the ball still went where I was aiming with minimal distance loss. Also don’t think because they’re a GI iron they don’t spin. The pic is my tee shot on a 165yd par 3 with a 7i. I’ve not had any problems holding green. Even the rock hard greens we’ve got now. I’m still seeing the 2 club distance increase over my old sets. And yes they had comparable lofts.

If you’re in the market for GI or SGI clubs but want something more traditional looking take a hard look at these. For the $ they’re the best set of GI irons out

7f73c9ee6feeedfde37908538d409f74.jpg

I have really enjoyed your updates Llib.

I have really enjoyed your updates Llib.

Thanks JB. I wish more people would give these a shot. I think they would be really surprised

Thanks JB. I wish more people would give these a shot. I think they would be really surprised

I agree with JB. You are killing it in all of the Hogan equipment threads! I wouldn't be surprised if I snagged a set of these one of these days. You certainly make them sound very enticing and you know how big of a BHG equipment fan I am.

Ben Hogan Edge Irons

I agree with JB. You are killing it in all of the Hogan equipment threads! I wouldn't be surprised if I snagged a set of these one of these days. You certainly make them sound very enticing and you know how big of a BHG equipment fan I am.

Thanks man! It’s been fun to review the Hogan lineup. Everything seems to fit my game really well. I’m looking forward to see how I do with these over the long haul and at some different courses

You’re doing great LLIB, seriously, it’s this effort that keeps the forum rolling. And remember, there are always WAAAAAAAY more people reading the feedback than you realize, even if they don’t post!

You’re doing great LLIB, seriously, it’s this effort that keeps the forum rolling. And remember, there are always WAAAAAAAY more people reading the feedback than you realize, even if they don’t post!

Jman speaks the truth LLIB. Your thoughts on these irons was one of the primary reasons I ordered the Edge demo's from Hogan. They weren't on my radar before reading through this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman speaks the truth LLIB. Your thoughts on these irons was one of the primary reasons I ordered the Edge demo's from Hogan. They weren't on my radar before reading through this thread.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Got out for 9 this evening and had another solid day of ball striking. I absolutely love these irons. I hit 7/9 greens and if I could putt I would’ve had a very good round. I missed a couple on the heel and one on the toe and each time the ball was only a yard or two offline with not much if any loss of distance. Highlight of the round was an 8i on a 144yd par 3.

261a636f5ca117cbb88af4d5161fc4a8.jpg

The only negative with these and all Hogan clubs are the grips. I’m not having problems with them slipping like most others but they are very thin. I have arthritis in my hands and I really feel it after a round. Hopefully Hogan will add a couple more grip options at some point.

Just a little non-playing update on these. I was going back through my email and found my equipment submission for the Hogan Event and it looks like I didn’t order these 2* strong like I thought. That would explain a couple gapping issues with these and my 24* hybrid and 48* wedge. The good news is that means these are even longer than I thought. They’re 1/2-1 club longer than any set I’ve tried this year even though they’re 2*-3* weaker per club.

Another round and another pretty solid day with these. I’ve played a couple rounds between the last update and this one but my swing had disappeared. It was so bad I couldn’t really add anything to the thread.

I started to find my swing again today and am back to hitting these well. The fairways I played today were like concrete and I hit a few thin but even the thin shots had enough spin to hold greens. I was off on a couple of shots towards the toe and the heel but I didn’t lose much accuracy as usual with these. I was still in position to make a par. I’m still really impressed with these irons and would honestly put them up against anything.

I’ve played probably 8-10 more rounds since my last update. I’ve had some swing issues so the rounds have run the gamut from personal best to super ugly. I’ve really only had a couple bad rounds with the irons though. One was really wet and everyone had issues and the other was full of solid shots but my alignment was off all day.

These are still performing for me. They’re super consistent distance wise and really accurate when I do my part. I still stand by the statement that these are as forgiving as anything I’ve played and I’ve played a lot of irons. These aren’t going anywhere

I love reading your updates LLIB and so glad they are working out for you.

Back