Ben Hogan Edge Irons

JB;n8889722 said:
I love reading your updates LLIB and so glad they are working out for you.

I’ve never been as confident with irons as I have with these. They’ve definitely made the game a lot more fun.

Made the switch to graphite in these. Put in a set of Recoil 95’s over the weekend. The first round after the swap was abysmal. I think I only hit 2 solid shots all round. Went back out this evening an it was much better. I’m still not completely adjusted to them but once I am I think it’s gonna make these even better than they already were.

A few more rounds and I’m starting to get used to the shaft change. The heads themselves are still amazing and the feel is even better with the Recoils. I made a slight setup change since I’ve been hitting everything off the toe for the better part of two months. Gained about 1/2 club when I actually started hitting the center of the face.

That speaks to the forgiveness of these though. I’d say 80% of my shots with these have been toe hits and I still hit greens at the distances I expect. I did finally get to test hosel forgiveness tonight. They’re not forgiving at all on that particular shot ?

I’m really glad I went with these instead of the PTX. Yes the PTX are sexier and I probably could’ve played them but these have made the game fun again. I can’t ask for much more than that.

Last edited:
A few more rounds and I’m starting to get used to the shaft change. The heads themselves are still amazing and the feel is even better with the Recoils. I made a slight setup change since I’ve been hitting everything off the toe for the better part of two months. Gained about 1/2 club when I actually started hitting the center of the face.

That speaks to the forgiveness of these though. I’d say 80% of my shots with these have been toe hits and I still hit greens at the distances I expect. I did finally get to test hosel forgiveness tonight. They’re not forgiving at all on that particular shot ?

I’m really glad I went with these instead of the PTX. Yes the PTX are sexier and I probably could’ve played them but these have made the game fun again. I can’t ask for much more than that.

I believe this is the ultimate set where you have to see it in hand to appreciate both the looks and size. Its smaller than anticipated and looks so good in person.

I’m really starting to find my groove with these with the new shafts. I played in a scramble last week and I don’t know that I’ve ever hit my irons as far and straight as I did that day. The highlight was sticking a 6i to 3‘ on a 178yd par 3.

I don’t know if it’s confidence or what but all of a sudden I’ve gained about a club and a half distance and my trajectory and accuracy is much better. These irons were fun anyway but the added distance and control from the Recoils has made them even more fun.

Figure I may as well put this in the correct thread

I haven’t posted an update for awhile but I haven’t played much. Season is over here so I’ll give my final thoughts on these. In short they’re my favorite irons I’ve ever played.

I’ve gamed these since the Hogan Event in June which is odd for me. I usually switch clubs like crazy. Right out of the gate I was hitting these better than anything I had tried since I got back into the game. They’re extremely forgiving and the V sole worked perfectly for my steep swing.

After a couple months I started having arthritis issues in my hands so I swapped out the KBS for Recoils. The Recoils were great for my hands but changed the feel enough that I struggled initially. It took several rounds but I got used to them and I wish I’d have made the switch earlier.

I went on to set PB for 9 & 18 hole rounds and then broke those. I’ve never been as confident in my irons as I have been with these. I think they are the best SGI/GI irons on the market.

I went for an iron fitting at CC and bought new irons but they have yet to dethrone the Hogan’s. My fitter and I are going to try some different shafts to see if we can improve the new irons but I won’t be surprised, or disappointed, if I’m playing the Hogan’s at the start of the season

Curiously what irons you were fitted at cc and bought . How do they compare to the Hogans?

Curiously what irons you were fitted at cc and bought . How do they compare to the Hogans?

Cobra Forged Tec

Honestly, I’m in the middle of a swing overhaul so I don’t really want to compare them because I haven’t hit the Cobra’s very well. I will say the Hogan’s are a lot more forgiving. Probably the most forgiving iron I’ve ever played. But they don’t have the SGI look. From address they look similar to the Cobra’s. The Hogan’s are a little longer heel to toe. Top line, offset, and sole width are pretty similar

I haven’t posted an update for awhile but I haven’t played much. Season is over here so I’ll give my final thoughts on these. In short they’re my favorite irons I’ve ever played.

I’ve gamed these since the Hogan Event in June which is odd for me. I usually switch clubs like crazy. Right out of the gate I was hitting these better than anything I had tried since I got back into the game. They’re extremely forgiving and the V sole worked perfectly for my steep swing.

After a couple months I started having arthritis issues in my hands so I swapped out the KBS for Recoils. The Recoils were great for my hands but changed the feel enough that I struggled initially. It took several rounds but I got used to them and I wish I’d have made the switch earlier.

I went on to set PB for 9 & 18 hole rounds and then broke those. I’ve never been as confident in my irons as I have been with these. I think they are the best SGI/GI irons on the market.

I went for an iron fitting at CC and bought new irons but they have yet to dethrone the Hogan’s. My fitter and I are going to try some different shafts to see if we can improve the new irons but I won’t be surprised, or disappointed, if I’m playing the Hogan’s at the start of the season

Thanks for the update. I really hope I can get my game together so I can enjoy these. I have a set, but I don't hit them well (or any club that's not a wedge) at all.

Thanks for the update. I really hope I can get my game together so I can enjoy these. I have a set, but I don't hit them well (or any club that's not a wedge) at all.

It’ll come back. It may not seem like it but it will

I'm glad you or loving these! Frankly, I'm not surprised that they would be difficult to dethrone. Good stuff.

Quick update on these. They’re still in the bag and are my gamers from here on out. 2 sets of “newer and better” irons couldn’t dethrone these. I don’t know what it is but these just work for me, Trackman numbers be damned. So I’ll say it again. If you’re in the market for super forgiving clubs that look traditional these are it. They are better for me and stand up to the latest and greatest from at least one manufacturer

Last edited:
Played Hogan’s about 15 years ago and really like them. Might have to give them a look-see again soon!

Played Hogan’s about 15 years ago and really like them. Might have to give them a look-see again soon!

You won't regret it.

I am seriously looking at getting these soon however trying to find a place to get fitted well without a ton of hassle knowing you will be getting clubs from Hogan has been a struggle. Has anyone done a fitting for these at CC or Golftec? Just hoping to get some recommendations to get a good fitting. Current living in Columbia OH but moving To Columbia SC soon.

I’m debating these (and other irons) but going to try to wait to see the next generation Edge (2021) as well as what the new JPX irons (this fall) look like... and also the new Srixon forged offerings this year... if the Mizuno or Srixon release this year might be hard to hold off till next year.

I’m debating these (and other irons) but going to try to wait to see the next generation Edge (2021) as well as what the new JPX irons (this fall) look like... and also the new Srixon forged offerings this year... if the Mizuno or Srixon release this year might be hard to hold off till next year.

If you watch our most recent THP Live Stream with Srixon we discussed the next release and it will not be hitting stores in 2020.
Stream with Vosh said the opposite for Mizuno.

Good news for THPers, we have THP Experiences coming for all 3 brands that will come with gear of course and almost always before they hit stores.

Thanks JB. I watched the live stream with Noelle when it aired and I thought she said when asked about a Z585 follow on that we should remember the product release lifecycle. Weren’t the Z585’s released in September 2018 and wouldn’t that mean Srixon would announce the successor this fall?

Thanks JB. I watched the live stream with Noelle when it aired and I thought she said when asked about a Z585 follow on that we should remember the product release lifecycle. Weren’t the Z585’s released in September 2018 and wouldn’t that mean Srixon would announce the successor this fall?

I said hit retail 😀 not announced haha.
She was actually speaking to the Cleveland wedge lineup, but as mentioned, we will have some news on the THP Experience for lucky AC members coming soon.

As Scot White mentioned the next line of Edge will most likely be in 2021, but after seeing prototypes I’m intrigued.

Thanks JB - I got it now. Hoping to at least see some of the forged GI clubmakers (Mizuno, Srixon, Hogan) at least start to leak info sometime late summer or early fall as to their plans. Looks like I'll be rocking the G15's for a little while longer.

JB - not asking for any inside info but I got the feeling listening to the Podcast with Chris V. that Mizuno would announce the new JPX lineup this year but that final decisions had not been made as to when they would hit the shelves. Did I hear correctly?

JB - not asking for any inside info but I got the feeling listening to the Podcast with Chris V. that Mizuno would announce the new JPX lineup this year but that final decisions had not been made as to when they would hit the shelves. Did I hear correctly?

Every company has moving targets based on how the country opens.
I know we have something special for AC members coming this year with Mizuno and their next release.

Every company has moving targets based on how the country opens.
I know we have something special for AC members coming this year with Mizuno and their next release.
Count me in!!! Thanks.

Not sure why so many get hung up on the look of the cavity - it’s how they look at address that matters and the Edge look great in that respect.

An extremely forgiving iron in a small and appealing package. Sounds like the ideal Hogan set for most amateur golfers.

Back