Garmin Approach Z80 Rangefinder

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New laser from Garmin coming in at $600 has a neat little feature. Not only will you get the distances you are used to, but also a graphic of the hole on one side of the screen.

DcHzDhHXkAAcu_t.png

I did not expect that. I think it is a nice feature, but I wonder if going super high end as a first forray in this market is the right move

Wow. Technology is amazing, that is pretty freaking killer.

Expensive but a cool unit. This segment of the golf market has some quality options right now.

This is a very interesting feature, but I'm not sure how I would like the sight being cluttered with more stuff as it might make it harder to get in on what you are lasering. Will reserve judgment until I try it out myself. And that price tag is certainly telling me this is a premium line, but nothing else is really like this out there. Curious to see if the market likes this.

Some nice technology there. Would have to see it in hand first. Seems like a lot of things to look at but maybe it's easier than it seems. Nice unit but $600 is on the WOW side of the scale.

WOW high end for sure. How useful would that feature be?

I like all the visuals I can get for a hole so this intrigues the heck out of me...but I wonder what the battery life will be like.

Considering that Bushnell's top of the line pro x2 is $500 this does seem to be in the right price bracket for what it has. Bushnell's hybrid comes in at $400, but you have to use your phone which is a bit of a hassle. My only question will be the quality of the optics. But I'm definitely intrigued by this and definitely on my radar.

Definitely a neat feature, but that's a hefty price to go along with it.

Pretty hefty price tag.... but features look cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like all the visuals I can get for a hole so this intrigues the heck out of me...but I wonder what the battery life will be like.

Battery life is listed as up to 15 hours.

I have the new Bushnell Hybrid. I’ve only got 9 hole under my belt with it. I like the F/C/B yardages and hazard yardages on the side of the rangefinder better than always looking in the viewfinder to see them like the Garmin. I’d have to see the hole map in the viewfinder for myself to decide if I like that over a hand held GPS unit or phone app. When I played I didn’t have the Bushnell app on my phone yet to see the hole map etc. I do like what Garmin and Bushnell are offering with these machines.

I can’t believe how reliant on a distance measuring device I’ve become particularly inside 150 yards. I gave my trusty Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 to a buddy before my Hybrid arrived. I felt lost without it and my game suffered due to guessing at yardages.

That's a good point about having it on the screen on the side. I just picked up the Bushnell Hybrid to try out. I'm intrigued by this Garmin, having the green in the viewfinder seems pretty cool, but I agree, it seems that having to look in the viewfinder to get that info seems not as intuitive.

yhsi looks like such a cool new thing.....Might have to try one out, or be a tester :)

[video=youtube;-0RmXaGq-Io]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLCnuc6xd15eqJ_hRSVTGOIhApAXE_2s0Q&v=-0RmXaGq-Io[/video]

The commercials for this look incredible! Price point is still high, but would love to see another company put out a more affordable alternative in this format!

I am with Canadan, this is perfect combination and use of tech...yes it is more but clearly you are getting more too...

cannot wait to have one in hand to check it out!!!

Anyone get one of these in hand yet?

Super cool, high end product from a world class company....price point is high but if I was in the market for this product I wouldn't hesitate. The only thing missing is slope? (probably too many numbers already to add that feature?)

Anyone have one i hand yet? Hoping someone will validate its awesomeness in light of the price.

Super cool, high end product from a world class company....price point is high but if I was in the market for this product I wouldn't hesitate. The only thing missing is slope? (probably too many numbers already to add that feature?)

I think the “playslike” feature is their version of slope

Very cool. I like all the information provided and looks clear and easy to read. As a big fan of Garmin products (bike computers, watch, avaiation equipement) I’m sure this is going to be a pretty good rangefinder. Would really be interested in trying one for sure first. Anybody using one yet?

Back