Garmin Approach Z80 Rangefinder

I have been able to play four rounds with the z80 and very pleased. For some reason I do seem to be more shaky with it than my bushnell. If you hold button will change until it turns yellow and arch shows on the green. Really didn't have a problem locking on pretty quick. Thanks for tip to put in case lens up goes in and out much better. I played 36 holes and had 39% battery left. I charge it at night after playing which is kind of pain but not that bad. My home coarse has 27 holes so you have to pick the 9 holes you want. Picking the first 9 no problem. When you go to change to second 9 It doesn't give you option to pick another 9 just new course. If I picked new course my course wasn't a choice. The only way I could get there was shut off start over and pick the 9holes I wanted. That was only issue I had. It worked very well other than that. I would still like to see actual distance when using plays like distance. Over all very pleased.

sorry guys, been gone for a while on injured reserve, but am back...4 rounds now since back, all with my Z80, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

no more glitches, VERY steady!!!

I'm torn between the Bushnell XE and this unit. After the updates, the Z80 "looks" super solid. Anyone still gaming this? Have any early adopters left and gone back to Bushnell? If so, why?
​​​​

dacatalyst41;n8876034 said:
I'm torn between the Bushnell XE and this unit. After the updates, the Z80 "looks" super solid. Anyone still gaming this? Have any early adopters left and gone back to Bushnell? If so, why?
​​​​

IÂ’m still gaming mine, but only because I canÂ’t seem to get it sold. Going to get a Bushnell if I ever sell the Garmin.

Just a little too hard to pick pins up and I am a very fast player so it’s a little annoying to me. Other than that it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think this is a good idea overall, but I'm really happy with my current setup of a separate GPS and rangefinder.
I thought this Z80 would be more popular when I first read about html.

dacatalyst41;n8876034 said:
​​​​

I use mine every round. The gps front/mid/back distances combined with the true to pin distance is great. The only drawback i have found is the slower rate of pin acquisition at distance. Far from a deal breaker....

Well in a surprise twist I have come to own a Garmin Z80.

First thoughts upon opening the box:
1) Not sure how I feel about needing to charge it every couple rounds. I'd rather replace a battery once or twice per year. Included charging cable is very short.
2) Seems skookum and well made. Comfortable in hand.
3) The included pouch seems to fit too tight. It requires both hands to extract the unit from the pouch.

More to come once this thing charges.

Quick follow up.

There's more going on here than with your typical rangefinder. After charging it fully I tried to turn it on but went through a series of glitches. It would turn on, start to load maps, and then shut itself off right away. This happened a dozen times before I gave up. A friend recommended I should update the software. I'm not a computer-ey guy by any stretch and was annoyed that I had to go through this hurdle.

Tried to download the Garmin Express software to update it, but my computer wouldn't let me install it for some reason. After using the troubleshooting guide on Garmin's website I was finally able to get the software installed, and begin the software update.

Once completed the unit appears to be working. Turned it on and went through the settings and it all seems pretty intuitive. I'm excited to get it on course and see how it works.

mine worked like a charm. just had to charge it up out of the box

the tight fit in the case is a little annoying, hopefully it loosens up

charging isn't that much of an issue as I'd expect to charge a GPS unit every couple rounds anyways

the unit is slow to "wake" up from standby, but not overly

Put the unit in the case with the eyepiece first/down and it’s a lot easier to get out.

My case has loosened up some, so extraction is easy. As i’m pulling it out i tap the ranging button. That way by the time it reaches my eye, it is ready to roll.

I really wish it had a display mode to show adjusted and unadjusted yardages together.

After a lot of usage, i still get 3 - 4 rounds between charges even when ranging multiple shots each hole.

JayB;n8905784 said:
I really wish it had a display mode to show adjusted and unadjusted yardages together.

This is an egregious oversight to me, especially for a premium model. Trajectory plays a huge role in adjusting for elevation beyond the slope number.

ArmyGolf;n8905362 said:
Quick follow up.

There's more going on here than with your typical rangefinder. After charging it fully I tried to turn it on but went through a series of glitches. It would turn on, start to load maps, and then shut itself off right away. This happened a dozen times before I gave up. A friend recommended I should update the software. I'm not a computer-ey guy by any stretch and was annoyed that I had to go through this hurdle.

Tried to download the Garmin Express software to update it, but my computer wouldn't let me install it for some reason. After using the troubleshooting guide on Garmin's website I was finally able to get the software installed, and begin the software update.

Once completed the unit appears to be working. Turned it on and went through the settings and it all seems pretty intuitive. I'm excited to get it on course and see how it works.

After you won this, I’m debating to go buy one and see if I like it. Im currently using bushnell xe pro, I’m not a huge fan of it. Let me know how you like it after using it on the course. Talk soon buddy.

ChefChris79;n8906108 said:
After you won this, I’m debating to go buy one and see if I like it. Im currently using bushnell xe pro, I’m not a huge fan of it. Let me know how you like it after using it on the course. Talk soon buddy.

I think the Budget coupon code works for these too

ChefChris79;n8906108 said:

The overall idea here is brilliant, with the 2D GPS overly on the left side of the viewfinder. Really cool how when you laser a target it puts a line across the hole map showing everything that's in your range. I have a Garmin G80 GPS currently so I'm very curious if the Z80 renders it pretty much useless.

I think if someone is a GPS user who wants something with more precision, this is a worthwhile look.

For predominantly laser users, I don't think there is enough to warrant a switch. The viewfinder is rather small and has no lens pass-through. It's like looking through an old camcorder eyepiece.

The image stabilization works as well as a typical cellphone, but is hampered by a noticeably low framerate. There is a little bit of lag due to the stabilization processing.

JB;n8906124 said:
I think the Budget coupon code works for these too

But the thp coupon doesn’t... anyway we can fix that ? lol

ChefChris79;n8906158 said:

All I can do is ask, which I just did. Its not usually up to Budget Golf, but let me see what happens.

ChefChris79;n8906158 said:

Being told to try tomorrow and it will be “changed”.

ChefChris79;n8906164 said:
Has anyone told you recently, that you guys are the best? Just saying...

I have been called worse today, that’s for sure : )

That is really cool. Seems like a lot of the features of a dedicated GPS unit is beginning to merge with a range finder. Do you think there will be a device at some point that incorporates some arcoss features as well?

ArmyGolf;n8905026 said:
Well in a surprise twist I have come to own a Garmin Z80.

First thoughts upon opening the box:
1) Not sure how I feel about needing to charge it every couple rounds. I'd rather replace a battery once or twice per year. Included charging cable is very short.
2) Seems skookum and well made. Comfortable in hand.
3) The included pouch seems to fit too tight. It requires both hands to extract the unit from the pouch.

More to come once this thing charges.
For those of us south of the Canadian border can you define this term: skookum

Back