who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

Project X 5.5 is much more stiff than DG R300. Best of luck!

Dave

Project X 5.5 is much more stiff than DG R300. Best of luck!

Dave

For the past 8 years or so the two sets I've had were Ping S56 and Mizuno MP63. Both those sets had DGS300 shafts, which I think was a good fit for my swing.
I expect the LZ 5.5's I have coming might feel too light for me, but I don't think they will feel too stiff-stout. But I'll know for sure once the set arrives and I strike some shots.
The TM P790's with LZ 5.5's which my friend plays, I tried yesterday. To me his clubs felt light weight to me, but not too stiff.

Google search for Dynamic Gold Project X KBS FCM Chart.

PX 5.5 is a little stiffer (FCM 6.0) than DG S300 (5.8) and much more so than DG R300 (4.8). As long as they fit well is the important thing! If you get along well with S300 these will probably be good.

I actually like the DG S200 (Vokey stock) I have in wedges even though I'm an ~ 80 MPH 7 iron guy.

Dave

Google search for Dynamic Gold Project X KBS FCM Chart.

PX 5.5 is a little stiffer (FCM 6.0) than DG S300 (5.8) and much more so than DG R300 (4.8). As long as they fit well is the important thing! If you get along well with S300 these will probably be good.

I actually like the DG S200 (Vokey stock) I have in wedges even though I'm an ~ 80 MPH 7 iron guy.

Dave

I've ordered Project X LZ shaft, which may be different (from a stiffness-flex perspective) than Project X.
I don't know much about standard Project X as I've never swung one.

Today I picked up the new 4-SW set of G700 w/Project X LZ 5.5's and was able to strike about 50 range balls. The shaft was fun to swing, lively with a pronounced kick. The elongated head shape of the G700 makes for a shallow looking club face, which I like. And the shallow range divots I was taking were pleasing as well. One concern I have is that my shots had a boring-distance type trajectory, and at this point I am not sure if my G700 shots will hold the greens well enough.
I'll know more tomorrow when I play my first 18 hole round with this set.

Today's maiden voyage with the LZ 5.5 shafted G700 set, CP2 mid size grips, went very well. Shot 72 which is a better than I usually score.
I played Rancho Solano GC, 6,250 from the white tee blocks. My G700 set is 4-SW, and I swung all those clubs today. The 4-iron has a 20* loft, which is like my old set's 3-iron. But the G700 with its large elongated head and wide sole is more forgiving than any long iron I've ever swung. Slightly thin shots and slight toe strikes were hardly penalized, if at all. From the white tee blocks several of the par 4's called for about a 210 to 220 yard tee shot, and with the hot face of the G700, including fairway bounce and roll, I seemed to be getting about a 195 yard carry and another 20 yards of bounce and roll.
Today my 4-7 iron shots had a hard-boring type trajectory. The 8-SW shots a nice high soft landing flight. I think the shots I'm getting are a combination of the head-shaft combination, which I like very much.
I requested a D2 swing weight for this set, and my scale has the 4 iron at D1, the SW at D5, so Ping did a professional job of building this set to the specifications I wanted.
My carry distances today, flat terrain sea level course, were about as follows:

4-iron 195
5 185
6 175
7 165
8 155
9 145
PW 135
U 125
SW 105

For most of the club numbers, the above carry distances are about 10 yards longer than any set I've played. But this is the first SGI strong lofted set I've ever had, so the strengthened lofts alone should and do create more distance. Also, this set's standard shaft length, which I have, is .25 to .5 inch longer than previous iron sets I've played. Finally, the LZ 5.5is such a dynamic, fluid feeling shaft that it probably helps carry distances as well.
I understand that Ping advertises and promotes the G700 as a "distance iron". My observation today was that the "distance gains" are more from distance forgiveness off slightly mishit shots than it is extraordinary distance from purely struck shots. The large hollow head and wide sole design seems to allow a slightly mishit 8-iron to fall 5 yards short of its intended carry distance instead of 10 yards short.
So far I am thrilled with my new set of irons and I thank everyone at THP who posted information about the G700 (and the Project X LZ.......and the CP2 grips). All the great information here is very helpful to me, so thanks again.

Thank you for your review. I am hard, hard pondering these in 4-PW. If I take the leap it will be after a fitting since I’m thinking I need to step down from stiff to regular flex. I’ll let my fitter decide if it is necessary but at 55 I think it is time to be open to it. Again thanks your feedback has been great. Good luck with your new sticks.

Today's maiden voyage with the LZ 5.5 shafted G700 set, CP2 mid size grips, went very well. Shot 72 which is a better than I usually score.
I played Rancho Solano GC, 6,250 from the white tee blocks. My G700 set is 4-SW, and I swung all those clubs today. The 4-iron has a 20* loft, which is like my old set's 3-iron. But the G700 with its large elongated head and wide sole is more forgiving than any long iron I've ever swung. Slightly thin shots and slight toe strikes were hardly penalized, if at all. From the white tee blocks several of the par 4's called for about a 210 to 220 yard tee shot, and with the hot face of the G700, including fairway bounce and roll, I seemed to be getting about a 195 yard carry and another 20 yards of bounce and roll.
Today my 4-7 iron shots had a hard-boring type trajectory. The 8-SW shots a nice high soft landing flight. I think the shots I'm getting are a combination of the head-shaft combination, which I like very much.
I requested a D2 swing weight for this set, and my scale has the 4 iron at D1, the SW at D5, so Ping did a professional job of building this set to the specifications I wanted.
My carry distances today, flat terrain sea level course, were about as follows:

4-iron 195
5 185
6 175
7 165
8 155
9 145
PW 135
U 125
SW 105

For most of the club numbers, the above carry distances are about 10 yards longer than any set I've played. But this is the first SGI strong lofted set I've ever had, so the strengthened lofts alone should and do create more distance. Also, this set's standard shaft length, which I have, is .25 to .5 inch longer than previous iron sets I've played. Finally, the LZ 5.5is such a dynamic, fluid feeling shaft that it probably helps carry distances as well.
I understand that Ping advertises and promotes the G700 as a "distance iron". My observation today was that the "distance gains" are more from distance forgiveness off slightly mishit shots than it is extraordinary distance from purely struck shots. The large hollow head and wide sole design seems to allow a slightly mishit 8-iron to fall 5 yards short of its intended carry distance instead of 10 yards short.
So far I am thrilled with my new set of irons and I thank everyone at THP who posted information about the G700 (and the Project X LZ.......and the CP2 grips). All the great information here is very helpful to me, so thanks again.

Thank you for your review. I am hard, hard pondering these in 4-PW. If I take the leap it will be after a fitting since I’m thinking I need to step down from stiff to regular flex. I’ll let my fitter decide if it is necessary but at 55 I think it is time to be open to it. Again thanks your feedback has been great. Good luck with your new sticks.

Which Matrix F15 weight are your current shafts ?

65 is the weight and I’m not happy with them. These are the first graphite shafts I’ve had in my irons and they are too light. I’ve never considered the rough as a huge penalty until recently now my irons don’t have the weight to get thru to the ball. I have to make allowances I never have before like going going sideways to escape or using a wedge to get back to the fairway.

If I do get the Pings or something else I will get fitted first. I love the vibration dampening of graphite I just don’t like the low weight in my irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65 is the weight and I’m not happy with them. These are the first graphite shafts I’ve had in my irons and they are too light. I’ve never considered the rough as a huge penalty until recently now my irons don’t have the weight to get thru to the ball. I have to make allowances I never have before like going going sideways to escape or using a wedge to get back to the fairway.

If I do get the Pings or something else I will get fitted first. I love the vibration dampening of graphite I just don’t like the low weight in my irons.

How long have you played the Matrix F15 65 (70 gram weight shaft) ?
Which shafts did you have in your previous iron set ?

I play the 700s and fine them to be as good as any irons for me. However I am old and not the player I once was. I can work the ball a little with the 700 but what I like the most is the consistency distance and high flight. I have a couple of friends better than me a scratch and a 2 that also play them.

I play the 700s and fine them to be as good as any irons for me. However I am old and not the player I once was. I can work the ball a little with the 700 but what I like the most is the consistency distance and high flight. I have a couple of friends better than me a scratch and a 2 that also play them.

What shaft (s) do you and your friend's have in the G700's ?

How long have you played the Matrix F15 65 (70 gram weight shaft) ?
Which shafts did you have in your previous iron set ?

I got the Steelheads last November. Before that I played 6.0 rifles in my last two sets. I really struggle to keep the graphite shafts on plane. First 9 yesterday I shot a horrible 54, second nine I found my slot and shot 42. I am actually optimistic I figured something out yesterday on the back nine cause my ball flight was the best it’s been since I started playing again.

I got the Steelheads last November. Before that I played 6.0 rifles in my last two sets. I really struggle to keep the graphite shafts on plane. First 9 yesterday I shot a horrible 54, second nine I found my slot and shot 42. I am actually optimistic I figured something out yesterday on the back nine cause my ball flight was the best it’s been since I started playing again.

If you played the original Rifle steel shafts I believe those were about 125 gram weight.
I am not sure how you came to now be playing 70 gram weight shafts but I think you should try a heavier shaft. At your local golf store there should be some iron models to try in the 110 to 120 gram weight range.

If you played the original Rifle steel shafts I believe those were about 125 gram weight.
I am not sure how you came to now be playing 70 gram weight shafts but I think you should try a heavier shaft. At your local golf store there should be some iron models to try in the 110 to 120 gram weight range.

I switched to graphite due to joint issues I am starting develop, not 100% convinced I really needed to switch. But I got the bug to try it so I did and really wish I had went at it differently.

The feedback you’ve given in this thread has me researching the Project X LZ shafts and I am liking what I’ve been reading. The original Rifle shafts were actually good for me at reducing vibration. Do you feel the LZs help any in the G700 with vibrations?

I switched to graphite due to joint issues I am starting develop, not 100% convinced I really needed to switch. But I got the bug to try it so I did and really wish I had went at it differently.

The feedback you’ve given in this thread has me researching the Project X LZ shafts and I am liking what I’ve been reading. The original Rifle shafts were actually good for me at reducing vibration. Do you feel the LZs help any in the G700 with vibrations?

My G700 set has CP2 mid size grips.I am new to mid size grips but one of the first things I noticed about the midsize is a lack of vibration-harshness from mishit shots.
My graphite shafted woods have the same CP2 mid size grips, also no vibration sensation.
I do think grip size (and texture-material) may be more significant to reducing vibration sensations than is shaft material.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to look at these yet. Are they more on the lines of a OS GI iron?

I haven't had a chance to look at these yet. Are they more on the lines of a OS GI iron?

Roughly same sole width and topline of the G and G400 irons. Difference is the G700 is longer heel to toe blade length wise. Also is a hollow body construction.

Roughly same sole width and topline of the G and G400 irons. Difference is the G700 is longer heel to toe blade length wise. Also is a hollow body construction.

The only GI or SGI iron I ever played was Ping's Zing model, and that was about 20 years ago, for a year. I never could get accustomed to the thick top line of the Zing.
For the G700, I guess because of its hollow construction, Ping was able to make a (rolled) top line which appears relatively thin. Also, the elongated heel-to-toe length makes the head appear less boxy-clunky than some other iron designs.

Reason I went to Nippon Steel a long time ago was due to Rifle Shafts causing pain.

Graphite - you went light and it's possible the swingweight is light - I'm swinging 79g shafts at D3 swingweight (lead tape added) - believe I could go 89-93 and possibly get more mass and consistency. You might go 110g - you may want to look at Recoil 95 or 110; Aerotech Steelfiber 95 (play a bit stiffer to flex - Kuchar and Snedeker play that shaft in that weight), Accra Tour 90, 100, and then there are the exotic (expensive) graphites.

Check your swingweight - see if you're feeling the head. If not, experiment with lead tape, or find a fitter and have one club reshafted with heavier graphite.

I've got another round plus some range time in with the G700 set. My updated thoughts are that the 4-PW plays great. For the 50* U wedge and 54* SW I am still not certain about my carry distances. For some approaches , using these two wedges, I've been getting a higher trajectory than I am accustomed to, including lots of spin and soft landing. This is probably mostly due to the relatively light weight and soft feeling LZ 5.5 shaft.
Hopefully the next few rounds, plus some range time, will allow me to learn how far I carry these wedges.I do like the looks of the high trajectory and soft landing, and if I can figure out the carry yardages my shots will end up close to the hole instead of 30 feet short of the hole. It may be just a matter of taking one more club and trusting that the ball will not carry too long.
Next to the green I do like the soft feel of the LZ 5.5's, so my preference would be to not change to a different wedge shaft.

Last edited:
I've now got in an additional 5 rounds with the G700 set. So, I guess a total of a dozen rounds since I acquired this model iron. So, I now have a good sense for how far I carry each of the lofts, from SW to 4-iron.
Compared to my previous set (traditional lofted Mizuno Mp63) the G700 9-iron through 4-iron carry a full club longer, plus maybe an additional 3 to 4 yards. The "full club longer" I expect is due to the relatively strong lofts of the G700 model. The extra/additional 3 to 4 yards I attribute to the large club head size of the G700.
For my G700 54*, 49* and 44* wedges my shot trajectory is high with lots of backspin and relatively short carry distance.
Regarding trajectory, contrary to Ping's advertising, as well as some reviews of the G700, with the exception of the set's wedges, I am not finding that I strike this model noticeably higher than previous irons I've played.
For working iron shots left-to-right or right-to-left I've found the G700 to be exceptionally good, and attribute this to the large club head size allowing for "more room on the club face" to play curving shots.
My favorite feature of this model is the distance forgiveness. For example, if I slightly mishit a 7-iron or a 5-iron the ball ends up travelling a remarkably similar distance to that of a squarely struck shot.

Back