Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DG_1234 View Post
    Today I received my set of 4-PW G700 irons. I ordered standard MCC +4 grips however Ping erred and installed the mid size MCC +4 grips. I am going to go ahead and play some rounds with the mid size grips. Maybe I will like them.
    I was able to get in 9 holes yesterday, and a small bucket of range balls this afternoon.
    Regarding my new G700 set, I can say it is definitely a "distance iron". The ball flight is different from any iron I've ever played, specifically the ball seems to float through the air rather than spin.
    These clubs are definitely fun to strike shots with, including the powerful impact sound which is similar to the impact sound of a hybrid club. Whether I keep the set or not is going to depend on if my approach shots are able to hold the greens reasonably well.
    Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
    Fairway metals: Cleveland Launcher HB 15* Miyazaki C.Kua 5S
    Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB 19* Miyazaki C.Kua 6S
    Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
    Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

Comment

I was able to get in 9 holes yesterday, and a small bucket of range balls this afternoon.
      Regarding my new G700 set, I can say it is definitely a "distance iron". The ball flight is different from any iron I've ever played, specifically the ball seems to float through the air rather than spin.
      These clubs are definitely fun to strike shots with, including the powerful impact sound which is similar to the impact sound of a hybrid club. Whether I keep the set or not is going to depend on if my approach shots are able to hold the greens reasonably well.
      After more range time and another round of golf I've decided to use TGW's "playability guarantee" program and return this set. Once the store credit arrives I will likely order another set of G700's, this time with a lighter weight shaft, probably the Project X LZ. The set I'm returning had DG R300. This 127 gram shaft combined with MCC Plus 4 mid size grips made the dead weight of the clubs too heavy for me.
      Hopefully losing 12 grams of shaft weight will make enough of a dead weight difference so that the G700's don't swing so heavy. It will take a week to 10 days to receive my credit from TGW, and in the meantime I'll ponder about iron sets.

Comment

Had a great round yesterday with the 700ís. Shot 76 - 41/35 (even par on the back) which is really low for me.

I didnít hit every green but my approaches were just off leaving me with good looks for chips. Put several chips within tap in distance for par saves.

The biggest difference I see with these over my former irons is I donít ever get the big sweeping hook that misses 10-30 yds left. And even though I hit a draw mostly, if I do come over the top my shot actually fades back a little and still ends up around my target. My only gripe is the 6i still doesnít launch as high as Iíd like it but that is me and my swing. My buddy who is a high ball hitter was launching it with ease yesterday.
        Driver Epic Flash 12* / Px Even Flow Green
        Hybrids King OS 20.5* / 25*
        Irons G700 6-UW Modus 3 Tour 105
        Wedges CBX 56*/60* | Sure Out 64*
        Putter Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum
        Bag: Four 5
        Tracking:

Training: SuperSpeed Golf; Joey D Golf; MISIG

Comment

I play the G700's with the Alta CB Shaft SR. I like them a lot - great high flight. I wanted something that I could get to stop on the hard greens at my FL home course and these came closer to any others. I have a 4 power spec, reg 4 down to SW.

I have also ordered a set of the i500s. I have hit them in the GolfTown bay and didn't really see any downside to them and they look stunning. I seem to have a natural draw and feel the offset of the G700s wasn't needed. It will be an interesting comparison when the i500s arrive in about a week and a half. I am not really sure I have the game for them but I hope so.

I also use the Smartsole 3.0 sand wedge and have the chipper, but, like a previous poster, could not control the run out. I can chip just as well using my G700s so the chipper is in the closet.
          Ping G400 Max 10.5* Kuro Kage XT TiNi 60 R
          Ping G410 7W
          Ping G410 Crossover 4
          Ping G410 5-UW
          Wedges - Ben Hogan
          Putter Point 'N Putt

Comment

Originally posted by erock9174 View Post
            Had a great round yesterday with the 700’s. Shot 76 - 41/35 (even par on the back) which is really low for me.

I didn’t hit every green but my approaches were just off leaving me with good looks for chips. Put several chips within tap in distance for par saves.

The biggest difference I see with these over my former irons is I don’t ever get the big sweeping hook that misses 10-30 yds left. And even though I hit a draw mostly, if I do come over the top my shot actually fades back a little and still ends up around my target. My only gripe is the 6i still doesn’t launch as high as I’d like it but that is me and my swing. My buddy who is a high ball hitter was launching it with ease yesterday.
            Congrats on shooting 76. What shaft is in your G700's?

Comment

Originally posted by HighCapper View Post
              I play the G700's with the Alta CB Shaft SR. I like them a lot - great high flight. I wanted something that I could get to stop on the hard greens at my FL home course and these came closer to any others. I have a 4 power spec, reg 4 down to SW.

I have also ordered a set of the i500s. I have hit them in the GolfTown bay and didn't really see any downside to them and they look stunning. I seem to have a natural draw and feel the offset of the G700s wasn't needed. It will be an interesting comparison when the i500s arrive in about a week and a half. I am not really sure I have the game for them but I hope so.

I also use the Smartsole 3.0 sand wedge and have the chipper, but, like a previous poster, could not control the run out. I can chip just as well using my G700s so the chipper is in the closet.
              I may try to demo a G700 with Alta shaft. For higher trajectory that one is probably the ideal shaft.
              Regarding chipping, I think the elongated shape head shape and wide sole of the G700 makes it an ideal model for chipping.

Comment

who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

Congrats on shooting 76. What shaft is in your G700's?
                Thanks !!
                Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 R flex.

When I did my fitting I tried the AWT2.0, the Alta graphite, the Project X and the Modus and the Modus won out. More spin, launch and distance (about 5 yds more carry).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Driver Epic Flash 12* / Px Even Flow Green
                Hybrids King OS 20.5* / 25*
                Irons G700 6-UW Modus 3 Tour 105
                Wedges CBX 56*/60* | Sure Out 64*
                Putter Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum
                Bag: Four 5
                Tracking:

Training: SuperSpeed Golf; Joey D Golf; MISIG

Comment

Originally posted by HighCapper View Post

I have the G700s/Alta CB SR as well, and am interested in how well you like the i500s. Thank you.

Comment

I am seriously considering replacing my Ping GMax irons with the G700s. Has anyone gamed (or hit) both that might have a comparison? I know the G700 is advertised as being the GMax replacement. Thanks.
                    In my Ping Traverse golf bag
                    Driver: Ping G400 Max, 10.5 degree
                    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood, Ping G410 7 Wood
                    Hybrids: Callaway Epic Star 5
                    Irons: Cleveland Launcher HB 4-PW
                    Wedges: Callaway SureOut 58, Callaway Rogue X A
                    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
                    Bag Boy Navigator Elite Remote Control Electric Cart

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondivots View Post
                      I am seriously considering replacing my Ping GMax irons with the G700s. Has anyone gamed (or hit) both that might have a comparison? I know the G700 is advertised as being the GMax replacement. Thanks.
                      I think all of the Ping G series irons are more or less the same, including large head sizes, wide soles etc....
                      So, the differentiating factor is mostly the shafts.What shaft model-flex is in your current set of GMax irons ?
                      If you are interested in playing a shaft different from your GMax set, then I suggest selecting a shaft and ordering a set of G700's with that shaft.

Comment

I've had the GMax irons and am now playing the G700s. For me, there's no comparison. The G700s go higher and longer and are much easier to hit.

My only knock against the G700s is the hydropearl finish. I was used to the durable finishes of past PING irons.

Comment

Originally posted by TC55 View Post
                          I've had the GMax irons and am now playing the G700s. For me, there's no comparison. The G700s go higher and longer and are much easier to hit.

My only knock against the G700s is the hydropearl finish. I was used to the durable finishes of past PING irons.
                          Thanks! The finish seems to be a common complaint on the G700. Still in serious ponder mode.
                          In my Ping Traverse golf bag
                          Driver: Ping G400 Max, 10.5 degree
                          Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood, Ping G410 7 Wood
                          Hybrids: Callaway Epic Star 5
                          Irons: Cleveland Launcher HB 4-PW
                          Wedges: Callaway SureOut 58, Callaway Rogue X A
                          Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
                          Bag Boy Navigator Elite Remote Control Electric Cart

Comment

Originally posted by TC55 View Post

What shaft (s) did you have in the GMax and G700's ?
                            Last edited by DG_1234; 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

What shaft (s) did you have in the GMax and G700's ?
                              I use the PING Alta CB SR graphite shafts in the G700s. In the GMax, I had the PING stock graphite shafts in regular flex.

Comment

Thanks! The finish seems to be a common complaint on the G700. Still in serious ponder mode.
                                I had a set of G700 irons for a cup of coffee and returned them (wrong shaft and grip). Now I am ordering a second set of G700 irons.
                                Anyway, in the brief time I had the G700's it was obvious that the finish would scratch if one looked at a club the wrong way. But I think that before long the whole head looks scratched , scuffed, and that's fine.
                                Actually, I don't think any of the satin finishes, from any manufacturer, hold up worth a darn.
                                The one and only "bullet proof iron finish" was Ping's original tumble-no-finish from the 1970's, but Ping stopped using that more than 20 years ago.
                                If you like the G700 irons I would not let the finish stop you from buying them.

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X