who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

Wednesday I played Poppy Ridge, Livermore , Ca. , the first time I had G700's in the bag for this golf course.
Again, I am finding that distance forgiveness is the best feature of this model. The difference in carry distance between a slightly mishit shot and a squarely struck one is not as great as other irons I've played.
Ping advertises the G700 as a "distance iron", which I think is an accurate characterization. However, if a player swings within himself/herself, not going at the ball hard and "trying for distance", then one can expect consistent carry distances. However, for someone with a playing style of going "all out for distance", I think hollow head irons like the G700 may produce sometimes too long of a carry , some distance inconsistency.

Last edited:
I've got about 25 rounds of golf under my belt with the G700 irons, and believe I now know this club model well.
It's an iron designed for distance, and distance is fun.
I've not noticed higher trajectory shots with the G700 than other irons, so Ping's claim of "higher trajectory" and, or, "easy launch"is not true for my swing. I question the claims that Ping (and other manufacturers make ) of "hot technology iron faces launch the ball too high, so this must be offset by lowering the lofts of the clubs". This may be marketing bs and the real reason Ping (and other brands) produce 7-irons with 6-iron lofts is because the brands know that consumers like to swing 7-iron when others are swinging 6-iron. Extra iron distance has no effect on scoring, but it's fun.
For consistent precise distance control and, or, working shot shapes, a jumbo size head like the G700 is not as effective as smaller headed iron.
For distance forgiveness from slightly mishit shots the G700 is significantly better than a smaller headed iron.
In friends bags I see Ping i200, i210, and i500. Those are fine irons , but they are really similar to previous generation Ping i series irons. In contrast, the elongated head of the G700 makes it a distinctly different playing iron, which is the primary reason I bought G700.

I've got about 25 rounds of golf under my belt with the G700 irons, and believe I now know this club model well.
It's an iron designed for distance, and distance is fun.
I've not noticed higher trajectory shots with the G700 than other irons, so Ping's claim of "higher trajectory" and, or, "easy launch"is not true for my swing. I question the claims that Ping (and other manufacturers make ) of "hot technology iron faces launch the ball too high, so this must be offset by lowering the lofts of the clubs". This may be marketing bs and the real reason Ping (and other brands) produce 7-irons with 6-iron lofts is because the brands know that consumers like to swing 7-iron when others are swinging 6-iron. Extra iron distance has no effect on scoring, but it's fun.
For consistent precise distance control and, or, working shot shapes, a jumbo size head like the G700 is not as effective as smaller headed iron.
For distance forgiveness from slightly mishit shots the G700 is significantly better than a smaller headed iron.
In friends bags I see Ping i200, i210, and i500. Those are fine irons , but they are really similar to previous generation Ping i series irons. In contrast, the elongated head of the G700 makes it a distinctly different playing iron, which is the primary reason I bought G700.

Some of the reviews on youtube show the i500 to be longer than the g700, hence my decision to go the i500 route.

Been a while since I've posted about the 700's.
As mentioned before, I early adopted back in April. 36 rounds total.

End of season stats:
Avg score with them was 82.8.
My 2017 avg was 82.9 and 2016 avg was 83.0.
So I didn't exactly light the world on fire with these scoring wise, but digging into the numbers there were improvements to be found.

Distance
Using Game Golf to calculate distances, I gained on average 6 yds of distance per club, with my 8i gaining 13 yds over my previous irons.
Full disclosure (the G700's are 1* stronger in the 6i and 8i, 1.5* stronger in the 7i, and equal lofts in the 9, PW and DW)

Accuracy
Game Golf doesn't calculate GIR by club but the metric they use is within 15 yds of the flag.
With my previous irons I was 57% within 15 yds of the flag and with the G700's I was 61% within 15 yds of the flag.
So accuracy has improved slightly.

I think the two main benefits I've seen with these are:
(1) hitting less club on approaches - anytime I can hit a 37" 7i to cover 152 yds instead of a 37 5/8" 6i I'll take it.
(2) I don't see the dreaded hook come out with these - this was my big miss with my former irons.

The clubs performed well on the course and seemed to gap really well; to double check I recently rented some Trackman time and came away pretty confident that the setup gaps well:
Club - Carry
6i - 160
7i - 149
8i - 138
9i - 125
PW - 114
DW - 100

I am going to check the loft on the 8i. I have had some freaskishly long shots with it.

Looking forward to the 2019 season with these in the bag.

Been a while since I've posted about the 700's.
As mentioned before, I early adopted back in April. 36 rounds total.

End of season stats:
Avg score with them was 82.8.
My 2017 avg was 82.9 and 2016 avg was 83.0.
So I didn't exactly light the world on fire with these scoring wise, but digging into the numbers there were improvements to be found.

Distance
Using Game Golf to calculate distances, I gained on average 6 yds of distance per club, with my 8i gaining 13 yds over my previous irons.
Full disclosure (the G700's are 1* stronger in the 6i and 8i, 1.5* stronger in the 7i, and equal lofts in the 9, PW and DW)

Accuracy
Game Golf doesn't calculate GIR by club but the metric they use is within 15 yds of the flag.
With my previous irons I was 57% within 15 yds of the flag and with the G700's I was 61% within 15 yds of the flag.
So accuracy has improved slightly.

I think the two main benefits I've seen with these are:
(1) hitting less club on approaches - anytime I can hit a 37" 7i to cover 152 yds instead of a 37 5/8" 6i I'll take it.
(2) I don't see the dreaded hook come out with these - this was my big miss with my former irons.

The clubs performed well on the course and seemed to gap really well; to double check I recently rented some Trackman time and came away pretty confident that the setup gaps well:
Club - Carry
6i - 160
7i - 149
8i - 138
9i - 125
PW - 114
DW - 100

I am going to check the loft on the 8i. I have had some freaskishly long shots with it.

Looking forward to the 2019 season with these in the bag.

Thanks for your post here.
Prior to the G700, which iron model did you play ?

Any updates on these irons? Has Ping fixed the “Finish” issue with these?

Any updates on these irons? Has Ping fixed the “Finish” issue with these?

I’ve been playing mine for about 13 months now. I’ll post a pic later today.

So, I've been playing my G700 w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts now for about 10 months, 50 rounds of golf. It's only been the most recent 10 rounds or so that I've become confident about my distance with G700's. Early on there were too many shots that carried too long. Through trial and error including choking up or down on the shaft, adjusting club face angle at address etc.... I've gradually figured out the different height trajectories and carry distances I am am able to do with the G700.
Another factor which likely caused delay in me learning my G700 set was that their Project X LZ's are to me a new shaft model.
Tuesday I spoke with a Ping territory sales rep, whom I play golf with a couple of times per year, and I told him what I liked about the G700 head design (large head size but without a thick top line, not a boxy shape but instead a relatively low top-to-bottom face height sloping upwards from heel to toe, and amazing distance forgiveness from slightly mishit shots). He told me G700's predecessor model was the MAX, and it sold well, he said the G700 has been a big seller, and he expects Ping will continue on strong with new irons within this category).
In this thread there have been a few posts regarding the sound of the G700 and also its finish. Regarding the sound, on any sort of mishit there is a relatively loud impact sound. But, a truly square-quality-flushed strike produces a pleasing muted sound. So, to me the G700 impact-sound-feel provides great feedback. That is, one can easily identify a mishit (or pure strike) by the difference in impact sounds. My other play set are Mizuno MP63's an inron which has a nice soft sound even when a ball is slightly mishit, so the Mizuno offers less feedback than the G700.
The G700's finish scrateches very easily, but the reality is that after a few rounds of golf and, or, range sessions the scrateches blned in together to provide a uniform appearance. Also, over time the G700's dull-matte finish wears away to reveal a brighter look, less satin-matte than when new.

This iron has been towards the top of my research lately. It's funny to see it pop up on the forum. I am struggling with my 4H but not my three and have thought about adding a 4 iron from this set instead of paying for a CrossOver. Anyone do this or can compare the two on course?

This iron has been towards the top of my research lately. It's funny to see it pop up on the forum. I am struggling with my 4H but not my three and have thought about adding a 4 iron from this set instead of paying for a CrossOver. Anyone do this or can compare the two on course?

I have not played the current Crossover, but my guess is that the G700 4 iron would fly on a higher trajectory for you than a 4 Crossover.
If you play a lot of golf and, or, can afford it, I say buy an entire set of G700 irons, they are a fun club to play for sure. Very different from any other set of irons I've had (Ping Eye 2+, Ping Zing, Ping i15, Ping S56, Mizuno MP 4, MP15, MP5, MP63).

I tried these at PGA SS and really liked them...they are about one club longer than what I'm currently hitting. Like the distance.

I think I'm really close to pulling the trigger on them. Last demo was going much farther than the F9 OL irons I have. It actually seemed to give me a respectable distance of the demo 7i I got to try. The forgiveness and consistency I experienced will really help me get back on track. I'm just trying to justify the cost in my mind right now.

I think I'm really close to pulling the trigger on them. Last demo was going much farther than the F9 OL irons I have. It actually seemed to give me a respectable distance of the demo 7i I got to try. The forgiveness and consistency I experienced will really help me get back on track. I'm just trying to justify the cost in my mind right now.

If you are seriously considering them, I would hold off a couple months. There have been rumors on the interwebs that Ping may be refreshing this line (G710). They came out in March 2018 and Ping normally holds to an 18 month cycle. So that means Sept/Oct we may be seeing the release.
If that is the case Ping usually discounts the previous model and are still available for custom orders.

I am still enjoying my G700's.

I've been rotating in other facets of my bag including a new driver (PXG Gen 2), fw (G400 SFT) and putter (Tyne 4) this year but the G700's remain a fixture in the bag.
My only gripe with these are the offset. I had to chance to swing my buddy's AP1 716 irons the other day and immediately I noticed I was able to line up his irons much easier at address (less offset than the 700's). Not a deal breaker as most GI/SGI irons have a decent amount of offset these days.

Bottom line, the 700's continue to perform and really enjoy the Nippon Modus 105 shaft especially as a no upcharge option. Such a nice feeling smooth swinging shaft.

If you are seriously considering them, I would hold off a couple months. There have been rumors on the interwebs that Ping may be refreshing this line (G710). They came out in March 2018 and Ping normally holds to an 18 month cycle. So that means Sept/Oct we may be seeing the release.
If that is the case Ping usually discounts the previous model and are still available for custom orders.

I went ahead and did the fitting and ordered them this morning. If you are right I probably could have waited but that would have been near the end of the current season here and I'm really struggling to enjoy the game with the way the F9 OL was working for me. It just wasn't a good fit for me.

Let us know your thoughts when you get them. I read thru this thread and thought again that I need to hit this club. I think a slightly longer club may help me get more center contact. I live out on the toe of my Apex's. Like 1/4 to 1/2 a ball off the grooves. Having a longer club might reduce that for me.

Let us know your thoughts when you get them. I read thru this thread and thought again that I need to hit this club. I think a slightly longer club may help me get more center contact. I live out on the toe of my Apex's. Like 1/4 to 1/2 a ball off the grooves. Having a longer club might reduce that for me.
I've traditionally been +1/2" and 1 or 2 degrees upright in everything I've been fit into. I know the forgiveness of these is off the charts with the bigger head and hollow body. I know my natural tendencies have been towards the toe or thin and they don't seem very penalizing to me at all. Once I got into a flow and adjusted to them the dispersion seemed really consistent.

I know in my opportunities to demo these I was hitting the stock Alta shaft 7i further than I was able to hit my F9 OL 6i. These G700 were straighter as well. I had a real bad tendency to hook the F9 with how upright the lie angles were. I ended up getting the Recoil 780 SMACWRAP shafts in the F3 flex. I have prior experience with the 760 SMACWRAP shafts but we used the Mizuno Swing Optimizer in my fitting to try and get some number readings and set a baseline. I needed a slightly heavier shaft than the Alta since my transition was a bit quick with the lighter shaft but I really like the SMACWRAP shafts.

In general these clubs just feel more comfortable the F9 OL was for me. Those clubs were just so heavy so I ultimately think I'll pick up some swing speed a bit with the G700 as a result.

Apexes will seem like blades compared to the 700’s. ?

When I tested the Apexes a mishit cost me about 30 yds short of the green. A mishit with the 700’s was just off the fringe. It was an easy decision. Then again I don’t mind a larger looking club coming from 588 Altitudes.

Apexes will seem like blades compared to the 700’s.

When I tested the Apexes a mishit cost me about 30 yds short of the green. A mishit with the 700’s was just off the fringe. It was an easy decision. Then again I don’t mind a larger looking club coming from 588 Altitudes.

30 yards on identical swings and identical strikes makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The anticipation of my G700 arriving is building. I ordered them a week ago last Friday morning. I'm hoping they show up at any time now at the shop I ordered them from. We've had great weather this past week once the heat broke and I haven't had any irons to try to get out on a course. Hopefully the weather holds up once they do finally arrive.

The anticipation of my G700 arriving is building. I ordered them a week ago last Friday morning. I'm hoping they show up at any time now at the shop I ordered them from. We've had great weather this past week once the heat broke and I haven't had any irons to try to get out on a course. Hopefully the weather holds up once they do finally arrive.

Usually Ping is about a 10 day turnaround from my experience.

Usually Ping is about a 10 day turnaround from my experience.
Yeah, I've heard 7 to 10 days is the normal. I'd expect closer to 10 with the shipping time from AZ to OH. I'll be surprised if they arrive before Wednesday of next week. I guess it all depends on when they did the club build after the order was called in on Friday. Nothing exotic on my order so I'd assume a relatively good turnaround. The shop was going to regrip them for me to SS Cross Comforts once they arrive so maybe that might take an extra day too.

30 yards on identical swings and identical strikes makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just going off my experiences. I wasn't using spray or impact tape to see exactly where my contact was with each. All I know is bad contact with my 700's and former 588 Altitude irons resulted in much better results than mishits with the Apexes.

Love the G700’s! My 8 and 9 irons are a little off. I need to address the gapping issue is all.

Back