who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

As previously mentioned I'm going to use the set UW and SW as full swing clubs with light pitching and chipping duties. It sounds like it may work out well for me.

During my indoor swinging of the G700 49* U wedge vs 50* CBX, and G700 54* SW vs 54* CBX, the differences I noticed were that the G700 had a higher pitched impact sound and had a slightly higher trajectory than the CBX. Also, the sole of the G700 wedges is wide, which I've found in wedges makes them forgiving, very playable from a wide range of lies.

During my indoor swinging of the G700 49* U wedge vs 50* CBX, and G700 54* SW vs 54* CBX, the differences I noticed were that the G700 had a higher pitched impact sound and had a slightly higher trajectory than the CBX. Also, the sole of the G700 wedges is wide, which I've found in wedges makes them forgiving, very playable from a wide range of lies.

I'm fine with the sound of the G700's. Considering they will be primarily full swing clubs I wanted consistent gapping and ultimate forgiveness. Thanks for your comments.

I'm fine with the sound of the G700's. Considering they will be primarily full swing clubs I wanted consistent gapping and ultimate forgiveness. Thanks for your comments.

I have not swung a G700 outside, but the higher pitched impact sound might be a good thing. Specifically, every metal driver, fairway, or hybrid has a relatively high pitched impact sound , so irons and wedges producing a similar sound may create some harmony within the bag.

I have not swung a G700 outside, but the higher pitched impact sound might be a good thing. Specifically, every metal driver, fairway, or hybrid has a relatively high pitched impact sound , so irons and wedges producing a similar sound may create some harmony within the bag.

Like having your bag tuned up acoustically. I can see it now... club fitters wanting you to come in to harmonize your bag. :golf:

Today I received my set of 4-PW G700 irons. I ordered standard MCC +4 grips however Ping erred and installed the mid size MCC +4 grips. I am going to go ahead and play some rounds with the mid size grips. Maybe I will like them.

Today I received my set of 4-PW G700 irons. I ordered standard MCC +4 grips however Ping erred and installed the mid size MCC +4 grips. I am going to go ahead and play some rounds with the mid size grips. Maybe I will like them.

I was able to get in 9 holes yesterday, and a small bucket of range balls this afternoon.
Regarding my new G700 set, I can say it is definitely a "distance iron". The ball flight is different from any iron I've ever played, specifically the ball seems to float through the air rather than spin.
These clubs are definitely fun to strike shots with, including the powerful impact sound which is similar to the impact sound of a hybrid club. Whether I keep the set or not is going to depend on if my approach shots are able to hold the greens reasonably well.

I was able to get in 9 holes yesterday, and a small bucket of range balls this afternoon.
Regarding my new G700 set, I can say it is definitely a "distance iron". The ball flight is different from any iron I've ever played, specifically the ball seems to float through the air rather than spin.
These clubs are definitely fun to strike shots with, including the powerful impact sound which is similar to the impact sound of a hybrid club. Whether I keep the set or not is going to depend on if my approach shots are able to hold the greens reasonably well.

After more range time and another round of golf I've decided to use TGW's "playability guarantee" program and return this set. Once the store credit arrives I will likely order another set of G700's, this time with a lighter weight shaft, probably the Project X LZ. The set I'm returning had DG R300. This 127 gram shaft combined with MCC Plus 4 mid size grips made the dead weight of the clubs too heavy for me.
Hopefully losing 12 grams of shaft weight will make enough of a dead weight difference so that the G700's don't swing so heavy. It will take a week to 10 days to receive my credit from TGW, and in the meantime I'll ponder about iron sets.

Had a great round yesterday with the 700’s. Shot 76 - 41/35 (even par on the back) which is really low for me.

I didn’t hit every green but my approaches were just off leaving me with good looks for chips. Put several chips within tap in distance for par saves.

The biggest difference I see with these over my former irons is I don’t ever get the big sweeping hook that misses 10-30 yds left. And even though I hit a draw mostly, if I do come over the top my shot actually fades back a little and still ends up around my target. My only gripe is the 6i still doesn’t launch as high as I’d like it but that is me and my swing. My buddy who is a high ball hitter was launching it with ease yesterday.

I play the G700's with the Alta CB Shaft SR. I like them a lot - great high flight. I wanted something that I could get to stop on the hard greens at my FL home course and these came closer to any others. I have a 4 power spec, reg 4 down to SW.

I have also ordered a set of the i500s. I have hit them in the GolfTown bay and didn't really see any downside to them and they look stunning. I seem to have a natural draw and feel the offset of the G700s wasn't needed. It will be an interesting comparison when the i500s arrive in about a week and a half. I am not really sure I have the game for them but I hope so.

I also use the Smartsole 3.0 sand wedge and have the chipper, but, like a previous poster, could not control the run out. I can chip just as well using my G700s so the chipper is in the closet.

Had a great round yesterday with the 700’s. Shot 76 - 41/35 (even par on the back) which is really low for me.

I didn’t hit every green but my approaches were just off leaving me with good looks for chips. Put several chips within tap in distance for par saves.

The biggest difference I see with these over my former irons is I don’t ever get the big sweeping hook that misses 10-30 yds left. And even though I hit a draw mostly, if I do come over the top my shot actually fades back a little and still ends up around my target. My only gripe is the 6i still doesn’t launch as high as I’d like it but that is me and my swing. My buddy who is a high ball hitter was launching it with ease yesterday.

Congrats on shooting 76. What shaft is in your G700's?

I play the G700's with the Alta CB Shaft SR. I like them a lot - great high flight. I wanted something that I could get to stop on the hard greens at my FL home course and these came closer to any others. I have a 4 power spec, reg 4 down to SW.

I have also ordered a set of the i500s. I have hit them in the GolfTown bay and didn't really see any downside to them and they look stunning. I seem to have a natural draw and feel the offset of the G700s wasn't needed. It will be an interesting comparison when the i500s arrive in about a week and a half. I am not really sure I have the game for them but I hope so.

I also use the Smartsole 3.0 sand wedge and have the chipper, but, like a previous poster, could not control the run out. I can chip just as well using my G700s so the chipper is in the closet.

I may try to demo a G700 with Alta shaft. For higher trajectory that one is probably the ideal shaft.
Regarding chipping, I think the elongated shape head shape and wide sole of the G700 makes it an ideal model for chipping.

who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

Congrats on shooting 76. What shaft is in your G700's?

Thanks !!
Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 R flex.

When I did my fitting I tried the AWT2.0, the Alta graphite, the Project X and the Modus and the Modus won out. More spin, launch and distance (about 5 yds more carry).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the G700s/Alta CB SR as well, and am interested in how well you like the i500s. Thank you.

I am seriously considering replacing my Ping GMax irons with the G700s. Has anyone gamed (or hit) both that might have a comparison? I know the G700 is advertised as being the GMax replacement. Thanks.

I am seriously considering replacing my Ping GMax irons with the G700s. Has anyone gamed (or hit) both that might have a comparison? I know the G700 is advertised as being the GMax replacement. Thanks.

I think all of the Ping G series irons are more or less the same, including large head sizes, wide soles etc....
So, the differentiating factor is mostly the shafts.What shaft model-flex is in your current set of GMax irons ?
If you are interested in playing a shaft different from your GMax set, then I suggest selecting a shaft and ordering a set of G700's with that shaft.

I've had the GMax irons and am now playing the G700s. For me, there's no comparison. The G700s go higher and longer and are much easier to hit.

My only knock against the G700s is the hydropearl finish. I was used to the durable finishes of past PING irons.

I've had the GMax irons and am now playing the G700s. For me, there's no comparison. The G700s go higher and longer and are much easier to hit.

My only knock against the G700s is the hydropearl finish. I was used to the durable finishes of past PING irons.
Thanks! The finish seems to be a common complaint on the G700. Still in serious ponder mode.

What shaft (s) did you have in the GMax and G700's ?

Last edited:
What shaft (s) did you have in the GMax and G700's ?

I use the PING Alta CB SR graphite shafts in the G700s. In the GMax, I had the PING stock graphite shafts in regular flex.

Thanks! The finish seems to be a common complaint on the G700. Still in serious ponder mode.

I had a set of G700 irons for a cup of coffee and returned them (wrong shaft and grip). Now I am ordering a second set of G700 irons.
Anyway, in the brief time I had the G700's it was obvious that the finish would scratch if one looked at a club the wrong way. But I think that before long the whole head looks scratched , scuffed, and that's fine.
Actually, I don't think any of the satin finishes, from any manufacturer, hold up worth a darn.
The one and only "bullet proof iron finish" was Ping's original tumble-no-finish from the 1970's, but Ping stopped using that more than 20 years ago.
If you like the G700 irons I would not let the finish stop you from buying them.

Green 3m pad is the key to even out the finish. I hated mine until I buffed the frost finish off.

UPDATE:
I've returned the G700 set with R300 shafts and ordered a set of G700 with Project X LZ 5.5.
Hopefully this second set will be of a weight I will enjoy swinging. If not, I'll move on to try a different model-style or iron.

Today I played 18 holes with a friend who has Project X LZ 5.5 shafts in his irons. This is the shaft I ordered for my new set of G700 irons, even though I had never before swung that shaft.
So, I struck about a dozen shots with some of his (TM P790 ) LZ 5.5. shafted irons , on the grass driving range, before today's round. For the past several years I've been playing Mizuno's with DG S300 and his clubs felt very light when I swung them. A few beautiful shots for sure, but also some thin and heavy shots. I hope I can get comfortable swinging the lighter weight LZ 5.5's. From a "stiffness perspective", I think these were good for me. I did like the lively feel of these shafts and also the divots I was able to produce from a few of the shots.

Today I played 18 holes with a friend who has Project X LZ 5.5 shafts in his irons. This is the shaft I ordered for my new set of G700 irons, even though I had never before swung that shaft.
So, I struck about a dozen shots with some of his (TM P790 ) LZ 5.5. shafted irons , on the grass driving range, before today's round. For the past several years I've been playing Mizuno's with DG S300 and his clubs felt very light when I swung them. A few beautiful shots for sure, but also some thin and heavy shots. I hope I can get comfortable swinging the lighter weight LZ 5.5's. From a "stiffness perspective", I think these were good for me. I did like the lively feel of these shafts and also the divots I was able to produce from a few of the shots.

Did you try the Modus 105’s? At my fitting the Project X was the worst. Just all over the map with consistency. The Alta CB wasn’t bad but just not a huge fan of graphite in the irons. The awt2.0 put up similar numbers as the Alta. I then tried the Modus and the light switch turned on. Higher launcher, higher spin which I need, better dispersion, better descent angle and about 7 yd gain carry over the other shafts. The Crazy part is I swung the Modus the slowest but my efficiency (smash factor) was off the charts.

Did you try the Modus 105’s? At my fitting the Project X was the worst. Just all over the map with consistency. The Alta CB wasn’t bad but just not a huge fan of graphite in the irons. The awt2.0 put up similar numbers as the Alta. I then tried the Modus and the light switch turned on. Higher launcher, higher spin which I need, better dispersion, better descent angle and about 7 yd gain carry over the other shafts. The Crazy part is I swung the Modus the slowest but my efficiency (smash factor) was off the charts.

The only G700's I've tried were the set I originally ordered (and subsequently returned). That set had DG R300's with mid size MCC +4 grips and two extra wraps of tape. The mid size plus 2 extra wraps was not what I ordered, a mistake by either the retailer or Ping. Anyway, I did try that set at the range and golf course, but the dead weight of the clubs was just to heavy.
For the second set of G700's I decided on the LZ 5.5 because it is about 12 grams lighter than the DG's. Also, the grips for the second set will be about 10 grams lighter than the ones from the first set.
Hopefully this reduction of about 22 grams will eliminate the "too heavy of a dead weight" that happened with the first set.
As for the Nippon 105, I've never swung that shaft.

Back