Srixon Z 585 Irons and Z 785 Irons

Thats awesome man. Congrats on the personal best.

Thats awesome man. Congrats on the personal best.

Thanks buddy! A +2 round felt so good, hoping I can build a solid season off of it!

Thanks buddy! A +2 round felt so good, hoping I can build a solid season off of it!

Fantastic. Im going through the ups and downs of not playing. Some great holes, some not great. Still working on what clubs will be in the bag too. Really like the Z series of irons a lot.

New PB today in large part thanks to these irons that I absolutely adore! I also have to say that it wasn’t my best ball striking day and that I was just all over the flag, but I had a bunch of small misses that ended up either pin high or just above or below the hole. Each one ended up being exactly what it felt like coming off the club face and I love that consistency and predictability.

I hit 8 greens today while using 785’s, 12 altogether but the other 4 came from hitting either wedges or U85’s, but that’s huge for me. It’s really giving me a lot of confidence to not try hit it as far as I can off every tee and just let my irons handle the workload. I can tell you that the 785’s are here for it!

Love it man, the 765's were great for you and had no doubt these would be as well.

Fantastic. Im going through the ups and downs of not playing. Some great holes, some not great. Still working on what clubs will be in the bag too. Really like the Z series of irons a lot.

I would imagine man, hopefully you get a little time at home where you can nail down your bag soon. You really can’t go wrong with Srixon irons:)

New PB today in large part thanks to these irons that I absolutely adore! I also have to say that it wasn’t my best ball striking day and that I was just all over the flag, but I had a bunch of small misses that ended up either pin high or just above or below the hole. Each one ended up being exactly what it felt like coming off the club face and I love that consistency and predictability.

I hit 8 greens today while using 785’s, 12 altogether but the other 4 came from hitting either wedges or U85’s, but that’s huge for me. It’s really giving me a lot of confidence to not try hit it as far as I can off every tee and just let my irons handle the workload. I can tell you that the 785’s are here for it!

My man!!! That’s exactly the same as my round on Saturday! I hadn’t had a chance to update on it, but just played the ball in front of me and didn’t try to muscle my way around anything.

Super Happy for ya man, I think I’m flying over your house now on my way to Chicago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My man!!! That’s exactly the same as my round on Saturday! I hadn’t had a chance to update on it, but just played the ball in front of me and didn’t try to muscle my way around anything.

Super Happy for ya man, I think I’m flying over your house now on my way to Chicago!

Thanks dude! It’s pretty awesome when you get that round where you just pull the trigger and let the iron go to work. They’re so good!

And yeah, you should be flying directly over me. LOL!

Well with travel this past week for work, there was zero golf during the week but I was able to knock out the honey-do list and get to the range yesterday with these. And after working on some simple swing drills I was able to figure out some of the many swing flaws that have crept in which gave a lot more consistent strikes.

The trajectory off of the irons really fits my eyes well, though i may have them turned down 1 or 2* strong. The irons at setup are gorgeous. They don’t appear clunky and just look flat out clean. I was hitting into a club to club and a half wind and was at the same distance and slightly longer on clubs vs my previous gamers. Which is different than i was thinking i was about 1/2 a club short previous to this past range session, but it’s world of difference when you are swinging good and getting more in golf shape.

I have found that working the ball with these irons is easier than my previous gamers as well. I was able to hit the baby draws, butter cuts, and even the straight ball when i was trying to. With the graphite shafts (recoil 780 es) getting the club into the position i want it in is easier as long as I don’t pick it straight up on the backswing. Off center hits are definitely more noticeable vs my previous gamers and the misses aren’t as long either but the more you hit the 785’s you gain confidence and enjoy the feel and strikes much more.

The long irons are surprisingly easier to hit than i was expecting, the short irons of course are a breeze but I did have concerns about the long irons coming from game improvement to more of a players forged iron. Hitting the 4 & 5 irons though have erased the concern, they set up well and aren’t bad whatsoever. The trajectory on these are very similar to the previous set and they stop great when I have hit them into greens.

All and all I am super excited to hit these this year and looking forward to getting them back on the course because they are f’ing pure.

A little conversation about the 785’s from another thread, figured it belonged in here as well.

What is your differences in the 765 compared to the 785s? Some have said the feeling of the 785's aren't a good as the 765s? And the 765s felt more forgiving.......

Not a biased question as I havnt hit the 785's....but genuine none the less

IMO, the 785’s do have a softer feel when struck well. They are a bit smaller and with that a bit more demanding, but the new CG placement has well struck shots being massively rewarded with a fantastic feeling strike. I would give the edge to the 85’s on low strikes in forgiveness, with just a touch more offset it really does help get the ball elevated with a minimal loss in distance. That’s just my experience so far. It’ll be more apples to apples once I get some Recoils in the 785’s, but I would imagine they’ll feel even better at that point.

Less than stellar iron game from me this past Saturday. Bad swings, not the clubs. A couple of blocks, a couple over drawn, but were pretty solidly struck. The yardage i thought was missing is not missing in fact. The irons play phenomenal, the soft feel of them is great. Shot of the round came from the irons with my only birdie on saturday, 163 yards hit an 8 iron to about 2 ft. The ball spinned about 3 ft back using the Zstar ball, and needless to say this setup is proving to be a great mix for me.

The use of these irons around the greens doesn't disappoint either, AW, PW can hit and check then release, where the longer the irons the bump and run does great. Not over spinny but produce what you would expect getting some check up when you want a little. Looking forward to the courses drying out so I can get back out there and hit the shiney clubs again.

I have really learned to trust my new 785’s. Had a great iron day with these today. They are a club further than my Mizunos and I have got them where I need them now. I really like the c-taper lites in them. So glad that these are in my bag!

These irons, 785’s in 7-PW, have continued to be absolutely outstanding. I’m not sure why it is but they seem to be more versatile than my 765’s were. I’ve been able to hit draws, fades, or knockdowns into greens on a pretty consistent basis, whereas I’ve always struggled to hit a draw on command in the past. Maybe it’s the shorter blade length or the touch more offset, they just make it easier to turn them over when I need to.

My ballstriking has also been on point the last couple of rounds and I’ve consistently been going long, so that’s an adjustment I’ll have to make with this set being +1/2” long. It’s a good problem to have though! I do need to get the 765’s and 785’s out for a comprehensive side by side comparison this week.

I'd be interested in hearing about the comparison Big Soil. I recently started playing and 565/765 combo set. Only one round and one range session, so I'm still getting a feel.

I'd be interested in hearing about the comparison Big Soil. I recently started playing and 565/765 combo set. Only one round and one range session, so I'm still getting a feel.

For sure man! I plan on trying to set up on a hole and hitting some shots at various distances and shot shapes this week. I’ve got an idea for something fun that hopefully everyone will enjoy. I’m hoping I can catch a day with less wind so I have less variables too though.

I finally got around to doing an initial side by side comparison between the 765/785 irons at the driving range. This is just for the purpose of ball flight and feel comparison, so pretty subjective and a basic eyeball test. Now this isn’t exactly an apples to apples setup so read into it what you want. My 765’s are basically standard everything and have my custom Recoil Prototype 125 F5 shafts in them, where the 785’s are 1/2” long with KBS $-Taper 120 stiff flex shafts.

First off, I still stand by my initial reaction that the 785’s do feel a little softer, even with the steel shafts. But the 765’s having a bit more heft are a little more forgiving, so there is a trade off. I think a little bit more mass being concentrated in the sweet spot of the 785’s did improve the feel.

Now I think this is where it gets interesting and you kind of have to sift through the differences in the sets. The Recoils I have are meant to be a lower spinning and launching shaft than the $-Taper and its very apparent watching the ball flight. But I would also venture to say that all things being equal the 785’s would still launch a little higher anyway. It’s just almost effortless to get the ball in the air with them and it’s actually something they’ve built into this iteration, from my understanding the small increase in offset from the 765’s to the 785’s was to help with launch.

I’m hoping to get some numbers from my SC200 launch monitor later this weekend to compare distances and maybe forgiveness. Then hopefully early next week I’ll be able to catch a slow time at my home course so I can do some on course testing.

Thanks for the feedback! I look forward to the launch monitor data to see how it relates to the old eyeball test.

Here is the current status of my game...so not a huge iron update here.

Tin-Cup.jpg

The good thing about it is how solid I am hitting my irons, just not in the same direction I particularily wish them to go in. Lots of misses left, right, long. I know it's not the irons at all, just trying to correct a swing fault that is no bueno for playing good. The few good shots I did hit yesterday were short irons, smooth swing and about 3/4 speed trying to keep it on the map.

The trajectory keeps impressing me with these, quite a bit more penetrating flight than I have previously hit with irons and it's great in the wind. 2 skins on par 3's was a great lift, one was a 7 iron to about 8 ft and another was a 9 iron to about 5. The greens we played on yesterday were quite firm but hese irons held well considering how hard they were. We played early so there was some dew and water on the course and I didnt have any issues with the ball jumping or not spinning coming off a wet clubface. I thought a couple would jump and they didnt at all.

My distance has stayed the same from my previous set of gamers, and the thinner top line and more compact club face is a welcome sight. Now I just gotta get the swing figured out and back to hitting these on target more often than not.

Played the par 3’s of my round at -1 today, I think that’s all I need to say about these today. They’ve been straight fire and feeling pure!

I finally got around to doing an initial side by side comparison between the 765/785 irons at the driving range.

First off, I still stand by my initial reaction that the 785’s do feel a little softer, even with the steel shafts. But the 765’s having a bit more heft are a little more forgiving, so there is a trade off. I think a little bit more mass being concentrated in the sweet spot of the 785’s did improve the feel.

Thanks for the solid feedback Jeremy. Interesting that you felt the 765s have more forgiveness, wouldn’t have seen that coming.

I also didn’t realize that the 785s have an increase in offset. Does that make it harder to setup at address? (I sometimes dislike that my 765s roll a bit closed when I setup)

Thanks for the solid feedback Jeremy. Interesting that you felt the 765s have more forgiveness, wouldn’t have seen that coming.

I also didn’t realize that the 785s have an increase in offset. Does that make it harder to setup at address? (I sometimes dislike that my 765s roll a bit closed when I setup)

I remember you talking about the issues you had with the 765’s at address, but it never really bothered me just because I always set my grip before I ever address the ball. The offset difference is pretty small though, but still there, so I don’t really see it being that much more of an issue for you than what the 765’s were. That could be the v-sole design as much as much as it is the offset that made the club face roll shut on you. Just a guess, I don’t really know...

I remember you talking about the issues you had with the 765’s at address, but it never really bothered me just because I always set my grip before I ever address the ball. The offset difference is pretty small though, but still there, so I don’t really see it being that much more of an issue for you than what the 765’s were. That could be the v-sole design as much as much as it is the offset that made the club face roll shut on you. Just a guess, I don’t really know...

Cool man. Thanks for the feedback. You’re right about the v-sole rolling the club, rather than the offset.

I have no idea what I’ll end up purchasing though honestly. I’ve considered a combo set but I hit the 7-iron Z-forged in a recent fitting so well that I thought I could possibly play an entire set. But maybe that’s my ego talking. The 785s have more forgiveness which is what I probably need.

The 765’s look better to me and it’s likely the offset. Interesting to hear that the launch is lower on the 765’s and that makes them a better fit for me as well. I have two sets of 765/565’s and they will be staying in my bag for at least the next 4-5 years. They are everything I want in an iron.

The 765’s look better to me and it’s likely the offset. Interesting to hear that the launch is lower on the 765’s and that makes them a better fit for me as well. I have two sets of 765/565’s and they will be staying in my bag for at least the next 4-5 years. They are everything I want in an iron.

Very interesting. I need to go test these out side-by-side before I purchase any new irons then.

Sound up!!!

That sound...Z Star XV golf ball helps. Little pull and some right to left wind, just missed the green. With an 8i to a just a few paces short of this 165 yard back left pin. I’m absolutely loving this version of the 7-series irons!!!

I had my best round of the year today. I kept the ball in play all day long and hit a lot of greens. I had two poor holes, doubles on both. The first hole, I actually shanked a chip and the other one I under clubbed by one on a par 3 and payed for it. The Z785 feel great and I get a perfect blend of distance/spin with these.

Back