Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Some few words about my fitting a week ago. After trying out the the shaft optimizer on 919 HM it suggested the best one was Nippon Modus 105. It’s the same shaft as I use today in my 900 HM. I told the Mizuno guy I have been thinking of switching to graphite shafts, most likely Recoil 95 in my next set. He wanted me to test a lighter steel shaft (KBS Tour 90) and it felt smoother than my current. As it was a free fitting, time was limited to half an hour. Also found out that I need 2 deg flat. I will most likely do another fitting and involve graphite shafts with another fitter. I need to test how Recoil compare to steel shafts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IF my research is correct, I believe the KBS Tour 90 is 95g with a mid-high launch. The Recoil 95 graphite is supposed to be 95g with a mid-high launch, so weight and launch are supposed to be the same.

That shaft optimizer is one cool tool, slowly turning into an old fart so gravitating towards regular flex. The Mizuno rep I had also put me in that Nippon Modus3 105S. He provided a lot of good info on Mizuno's production process from a single billet and how tight their tolerances are. Mizuno, Titleist, and Ping's tolerances are all tight enough they do not have to separate final product to sell off the rack or to the big boys, pretty much all the same. More guys playing Mizunos on the tour while NOT getting paid to play them. This guy really knew his trade which from what I've learned since then is Mizuno's reputation in the golf shops.

Last edited:
Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Yea I really dig the look of this setup...
5435e342bf741189e887a3b8042c711e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya those are looking nice!!!!

Thinking about some paint fill on my HM's.

I love the brushed finish of the Mizuno line the best. It softens the look and glare nicely.

Great looking irons for sure.

What kind of fill are you considering?

Thinking about filling in the bird with the Mizuno Blue. Maybe a different color. Favorite color is red so might go that way.

Thinking about filling in the bird with the Mizuno Blue. Maybe a different color. Favorite color is red so might go that way.

I am thinking about paint filling to. Will do green and yellow, our school colors. But then there's that white on silver look that I don't know if I want to give up lol

I am thinking about paint filling to. Will do green and yellow, our school colors. But then there's that white on silver look that I don't know if I want to give up lol

I hear ya, the iron looks really good just as is.

Well, I finally did it. About an hour ago, I placed my order for a set of Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. I decided to go with the Recoil 95 F3 graphite shafts, 1/4" long, 0.5* flat. Part of me wanted to go with the Project X LZ regular flex graphite shafts, but I kept hitting them fat, and I was not doing that with the Recoils. Also, I tended to spray the PX's, but almost all my shots with the Recoils were straight or a baby fade. I think the slightly lighter weight of the PX's (25 g difference) was throwing off my timing, as I play a somewhat deliberate swing. Intially, I thought I might need the high launch of the PX's, but I noticed no appreciable difference between the 2 shafts in that regard. Also, I was hitting the PX's just a couple of yards longer than my current EZ Forged irons, but I was hitting the Recoils almost a club longer.

My pro said I might get them by next Friday. Can't wait!

Well, I finally did it. About an hour ago, I placed my order for a set of Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. I decided to go with the Recoil 95 F3 graphite shafts, 1/4" long, 0.5* flat. Part of me wanted to go with the Project X LZ regular flex graphite shafts, but I kept hitting them fat, and I was not doing that with the Recoils. Also, I tended to spray the PX's, but almost all my shots with the Recoils were straight or a baby fade. I think the slightly lighter weight of the PX's (25 g difference) was throwing off my timing, as I play a somewhat deliberate swing. Intially, I thought I might need the high launch of the PX's, but I noticed no appreciable difference between the 2 shafts in that regard. Also, I was hitting the PX's just a couple of yards longer than my current EZ Forged irons, but I was hitting the Recoils almost a club longer.

How does feel difference compare to EZ?
When I had EZ few years ago. It wasn’t one of the softest feeling set considering its forged. Full club longer is awesome.
Love to hear your thoughts on actual course play.

They're great clubs. Good looking and good performing. I left the 900's for another lover and I regret it. I won't be leaving these until at least the 921's come out LOL!

That is awesome!!! I ordered mine on a Saturday also, depending on how many orders they get over the weekend, there is a chance you will have them by Friday. If not they will be there on Monday for sure. That is when I got mine, but it was because of a shipping issue.

Congrats on the new sticks!!

How does feel difference compare to EZ?
When I had EZ few years ago. It wasn’t one of the softest feeling set considering its forged. Full club longer is awesome.
Love to hear your thoughts on actual course play.

The HM's actually did feel a bit softer to me when I put a good swing on them. I wouldn't say there's a tremendous difference, but it's there. I'm anxious to get the HM's in so that I can get them out on the course. Snickerdog could probably tell you more about actual course play with them.

I...… I did a thing....

Yes...Go on!

4-6 forged
7-Pw tour
CTaper Lite in X, 1/4” long
MC align plus 3 wraps

4-6 forged
7-Pw tour
MC align plus 3 wraps

Dude you’re going to love those sticks!

4-6 forged
7-Pw tour
MC align plus 3 wraps

Sounds like a nice set.

Dude you’re going to love those sticks!

Hope so!!! Taking a bit of risk on the CT lites. Usually play the regular Ctaper in S or S+.

I’m not going completely blind though as I have experience with the CT lite X in a backup 4 iron. I hit it quite well, so excited to see how this plays out....

2 solid range sessions with my HM's. It's been cold, so it's hard to gauge the distance, but I have no reason to think I've gone backwards in any way. The feel is impressive for a cast head, but even more impressive is the sound. The golfer in the next bay noticed, too. It's hard to describe, but I just want to hear it again and again. I thought I might regret going with Project X's given the popularity of the Recoils, but the Project X does seem to be a great match for me. I'm absolutely dying to get these things on the course.

2 solid range sessions with my HM's. It's been cold, so it's hard to gauge the distance, but I have no reason to think I've gone backwards in any way. The feel is impressive for a cast head, but even more impressive is the sound. The golfer in the next bay noticed, too. It's hard to describe, but I just want to hear it again and again. I thought I might regret going with Project X's given the popularity of the Recoils, but the Project X does seem to be a great match for me. I'm absolutely dying to get these things on the course.

I almost decided to go with the PX's, but I just wasn't as consistent with them as I was with the Recoils. That's probably a function of my particular swing. I think you'll do just great with the PX's, especially given your range experiences. The PX LZ shaft is a good shaft.

I had a good night with the Hot Metals. This was the first time I have got to play these irons while the temp is above 50° and it was noticeable. Our course has quite a few elevated greens so sometimes it is necessary to take and extra club to account for it depending on distance. I had a shot from 138y to the pin, a good 8 iron distance for me and ended up probably 10-12 yards past the pin. So I am going to need to hit the range to get things dialed in again now that the weather is staying warm.
When I did my fitting I was a club longer and I didn't really trust the monitor but I am starting to see those distances that I was getting on the monitor.

I had a good night with the Hot Metals. This was the first time I have got to play these irons while the temp is above 50° and it was noticeable. Our course has quite a few elevated greens so sometimes it is necessary to take and extra club to account for it depending on distance. I had a shot from 138y to the pin, a good 8 iron distance for me and ended up probably 10-12 yards past the pin. So I am going to need to hit the range to get things dialed in again now that the weather is staying warm.
When I did my fitting I was a club longer and I didn't really trust the monitor but I am starting to see those distances that I was getting on the monitor.

Awesome to hear Snickerdog! I am picking mine up at lunch as they just came in, and then I will be putting them into play this weekend!

Back