Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Irons where stellar today. Played with a guy I played with yesterday and he told me to trust my distances. Didn't hesitate today, and hit lots of greens. Plenty of stopping power with Chrome Softs and the distance was consistent. Really enjoying the lighter Recoil shafts and not as tired after a round.

Glad to hear you're loving the shafts. I took your advice and went with the exact same shafts and they are perfect for my swing. It took me about 2 rounds before I started to trust my new distances, but the last 2 rounds I did so, and it was the right choice. Also, I've narrowed my ball choices down to the Snell MTB Black, Mizuno RB, and the Truvis. These clubs just seem to like those 3 balls the best. Now if I could just learn to chip reasonably well ….

Glad to hear you're loving the shafts. I took your advice and went with the exact same shafts and they are perfect for my swing. It took me about 2 rounds before I started to trust my new distances, but the last 2 rounds I did so, and it was the right choice. Also, I've narrowed my ball choices down to the Snell MTB Black, Mizuno RB, and the Truvis. These clubs just seem to like those 3 balls the best. Now if I could just learn to chip reasonably well ….

That is awesome to hear!!!! Glad they fit your game.

I finally got the rest of my HMP irons and 919F GW out to the course. I had ordered a 7i to try, having been curious about the HMP even though I have a perfectly good set of i210s. I quite bonded with the HMP, even though the shaft (PX LZ Tour 6.0) is lighter than I was previously fit into (i95s in the i210s). Now have 6-PW with the 5i on the way. Great feel with the HMPs, and they go long and usually where I am pointing (other than operator error). The 919F GW fits well with the set, and I'm using just that and a 58. I found it easy to use the GW anywhere from 110 yards on in. One hole I was about 60 yards out and first pulled out the 58, then thought about the stiff wind in my face, put it back and grabbed the GW. Smooth half swing, left it 6' from the pin. Back in the day I didn't have a LW and often not even a SW so I got used to manufacturing shots with a PW (in the old days - GW today).

Very fun clubs. Part of me wants some 919 Tours just because...

I played in a 3-man, red-white-blue scramble yesterday, along with 2 other seniors. Our red tees are the ladies tees, white are the men's tees, and blue are the championship tees (yellows are our senior tees). In the past, in a r-w-b tournament, you play red tees on 1 hole, white the next, blue the following, and so forth. However, this time, the tournament organizers had everyone start on the white tees. If your team birdied any hole, you play the next hole from the blues. If you par, you stay on the same tees from which you parred. If you bogeyed, you move to the red. We posted a par on our 1st hole, birdied our 2nd, and either made par or birdie the remainder of the way. So, we essentially played from the tips all day.

The reason for this long explanation is to set up a couple of items regarding my ball choices and iron play. On our 1st 2 holes, my drives were meh, the approach shots were meh, and my putts were meeeehhh (i.e., poor). That was playing the MTB Black. After we birdied our 2nd hole and had to move to the tips on our 3rd, we faced a long carry (for me) over water of about 190. After my partners either barely cleared or dunked 1 in the lake, I knew I had to perform. Instinctively, I pulled out a Truvis and ripped one right down the middle, easily clearing the water. The drive ended up being about 240, which is quite long for me. The point is, I stuck with the Truvis all day and it performed very well, whether I was hitting a wood, hybrid, or iron. I even putted quite well.

I would not call my iron play stellar, but this was yet another round with my Hot Metals in which I was hitting my old distances again. Yet more indication that I've picked back up at least a club if not more with them. Beyond that, as long as I put a reasonably decent swing on them, they are more accurate than any other iron I've played, and they gap perfectly with my CLK hybrids (I was hitting them quite well, too). I was able to throw 6 shots to within 10 feet of the pin, which is great for me, and thrilled my partners to no end. The best thing I can possibly say about my Mizunos was said by one of my partners. After I hit a particularly good approach shot, he said, "Man, you seem more confident addressing the ball than I've ever see you before."

Good to hear Rebel. I know I am a heck of a lot more confident with these clubs in the bag!

Played Monday. Im really settling into these irons. You def know you missed contact, but that's what I want. Coming from GI AP1 irons, just going to take time to get used to. But that's a me problem, when struck well these feel so damn nice.

@Rebel4life that is awesome to hear. Glad you played well and sounds like you found a ball for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played Monday. Im really settling into these irons. You def know you missed contact, but that's what I want. Coming from GI AP1 irons, just going to take time to get used to. But that's a me problem, when struck well these feel so damn nice.

Good to hear. Might have to try them out while at Brian’s

Welcome too, keep in mind they are 125 X Stiff shafts though.....

That's a stout shaft!!! @2BFAST said you had some serious swing speed.

It has been quite cool, windy, and rainy here in Alabama today, but I got in another round with my Hot Metals. I was not striking the ball particularly well, but even with the poor weather conditions, I was getting my old distances yet again. I had begun to think that I had to say goodbye to hitting a 7 iron 145, a 6 155, etc. But with these Hot Metals, today was more proof that those days are not yet gone. I love these sticks!

It has been quite cool, windy, and rainy here in Alabama today, but I got in another round with my Hot Metals. I was not striking the ball particularly well, but even with the poor weather conditions, I was getting my old distances yet again. I had begun to think that I had to say goodbye to hitting a 7 iron 145, a 6 155, etc. But with these Hot Metals, today was more proof that those days are not yet gone. I love these sticks!

I also thought my longer mid irons were not long for this world, but the 6i is so easy to hit I have a 5i coming. Great clubs indeed.

That is good stuff Rebel!!!! Glad to hear you are finding your groove with them. :clapp:

Didn't have a great day with the irons, but they kept me in the game. What is continuing to impress me is the consistency, I know my distances for each club pretty well and these are performing that way. Haven't had any issues with flyers at all.

Finally got out to play. Its been a long winter here in Wisconsin.

After knocking the rust off a bit I had some pretty nice shots with my mizuno HM pro irons. I am really surprised by the consistency of these irons, they are always on there mark when i do my part.

Best shot with my irons was with a 6iron on a par 4. hit a nice cut on to the green and was only 6ft from the pin. roll out from the pitch mark was only 3ft. very impressed. I just have to get use to the distance of each shots. I was playing cobra max's last year and they are a chunky club. these are a little shorter in distance, not a huge difference but when i get into the GW, PW and 9i i came up short of the green by a couple of feet when the pin was tucked towards the front.

Feel of the clubs is good. I look forward to playing again with them.

I was playing with a Bridgestone e6 speed golf ball for my first 18. I threw away the two I played with the first 9 because they were so scuffed up it was terrible. I was playing with them because I thought i would lose a few with my first round of golf for the year but that wasnt the case. We will see how the irons perform with my normal golf ball next!

Highly recommend these clubs to everyone.

I also thought my longer mid irons were not long for this world, but the 6i is so easy to hit I have a 5i coming. Great clubs indeed.

I know what you mean. That 6 iron is the best iron in my bag. I am kicking myself that I bought a hybrid instead of the 5 iron.

For the guys playing the HMP, did any of you test side by side with the P790? If so, your thoughts would be interesting. I would think these two would go head to head but I don't see much in the way of comparisons.

Also for the HMP players, did anyone go from a blade to the HMP. That seems like a big jump but I want to try it. I have long wanted to try a GI or GI distance iron but most are larger, more offset, etc. than I prefer. The HMP is something I can look down at but I am worried about the size of the sole a little bit? Again, all comments would be appreciated. I am also worried a bit about gapping as I am not prepared to give up my wedges. My current gap from my Srixon Z945 46 degree PW to Volkey 50 degree is about 117 yards to 100 yards. I think the HMP PW might expand that considerably?

I decided to move on from the 919 setup I purchased. The Ctaper lite setup was a bit too odd for me. Gorgeous irons though.

I’m now either sticking with my P770s or contemplating Apex pros or maybe AP2s. Dunno, prob sit tight for a bit.

I’ve decided this morning to get a set of 919 to test against various competitors. I like the look a bunch and remember liking the feel from my few days testing them on the range.

Now to decide which style to go with. I know the Tours are off the table, but I can’t decide between the rest.

I know what you mean. That 6 iron is the best iron in my bag. I am kicking myself that I bought a hybrid instead of the 5 iron.

There are times I feel the same, but then I pull and hit my CLK 5 hybrid and the desire for a 5i dissipates quickly.

For the guys playing the HMP, did any of you test side by side with the P790? If so, your thoughts would be interesting. I would think these two would go head to head but I don't see much in the way of comparisons.

Also for the HMP players, did anyone go from a blade to the HMP. That seems like a big jump but I want to try it. I have long wanted to try a GI or GI distance iron but most are larger, more offset, etc. than I prefer. The HMP is something I can look down at but I am worried about the size of the sole a little bit? Again, all comments would be appreciated. I am also worried a bit about gapping as I am not prepared to give up my wedges. My current gap from my Srixon Z945 46 degree PW to Volkey 50 degree is about 117 yards to 100 yards. I think the HMP PW might expand that considerably?

I tried the P790s but didn't like the sound/feel. Same with the i500s. I switched to the HMPs from i210, which isn't a blade by any means but certainly is more in the "player's iron" camp. I find the turf interaction better with the HMP for my swing. While the sole is "wide", it has a lot of camber so it plays like a narrower sole. I feel a difference compared to the i210 (which also has a somewhat wider sole). For me the lack of offset in the HMPs is part of the attraction, as I don't need it with my swing. I gained about 1 to 1.5 clubs going from i210 to HMP. Yes, the lofts are stronger with the HMP, but for whatever reason I have an easier time hitting the mid/longer irons with the HMP so it ends up as a win-win. I will say the i210 has an incredibly soft feel when struck correctly. The HMP isn't really clicky to me (one thing I didn't like about the i500) which is a plus, and mishits aren't punished too bad. I'm using the 919Forged GW at 51*, so far seems to fit into the progression nicely so your Vokey at 50* could be fine.

Review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp4o4yAjRio (talk about sole around 8:30)

Last edited:
There are times I feel the same, but then I pull and hit my CLK 5 hybrid and the desire for a 5i dissipates quickly.

I have a Cobra F9 5H that I bought after I had good results with the F9 3H (that club is crazy good from the rough). I'm not sure what will stay in the bag once the 5i shows up, but in the bay the other day I was hitting the HMP 6i back to back with the 5H and getting similar results - that surprised me a bit.

I decided to move on from the 919 setup I purchased. The Ctaper lite setup was a bit too odd for me. Gorgeous irons though.

I’m now either sticking with my P770s or contemplating Apex pros or maybe AP2s. Dunno, prob sit tight for a bit.

Did you think about changing the shaft? I figured you would be throwing darts with those.

Had a better day with the HM's today. Wind was a pain but just clubbed up two going into the 20-25mph winds and was fine.
The zoysia is starting to green up good, and the turf interaction is really good with these clubs.

I’ve owned each of the MP-18 models before settling on the MMC’s and not HM Pro. The HM Pro feel amazing for a cast club with a large cavity to the point I don’t long for my MMC’s. I had the P790’s prior to my MP-18 experiment. To me, it’s a disservice to forgings to put forged on the P790. They felt like hitting a fairway wood to me. So springy off the face. I could sorta get distance dialled in but did fear the ling gone low spinner each time out of the rough. So far the HM Pro plays super predictably in all scenarios. Moving to the HM Pro has cost me nothing in playability over my MMC’s. Just picked up 5 yards per club.

Back