Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Did you think about changing the shaft? I figured you would be throwing darts with those.

I didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole. Figure I’d pull the ripcord sooner than later. Gorgeous irons, I just didn’t get along with the Ctaper Lites as I was hoping. In fairness, I also didn’t give them nearly enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve decided this morning to get a set of 919 to test against various competitors. I like the look a bunch and remember liking the feel from my few days testing them on the range.

Now to decide which style to go with. I know the Tours are off the table, but I can’t decide between the rest.
The forged are the most versatile iron in mizunos line up of irons and probably the most representative of everything mizuno can do to an iron.

This JPX line from Mizuno is just amazing. The Hot Metals are fantastic for a bogey golfer like myself.

I really want to try the Tours out and see how they feel. They look so good!

I really want to try the Tours out and see how they feel. They look so good!

I briefly hit them - just the PW back to back with 919 Forged. I liked the Tour a lot, have pondered combining with the HMPs but would have to sort out gapping. Seems like you'd need two 7 irons (if you were trying to mix the Tour and HMP and crossed over at 7) unless the lofts were adjusted.

I briefly hit them - just the PW back to back with 919 Forged. I liked the Tour a lot, have pondered combining with the HMPs but would have to sort out gapping. Seems like you'd need two 7 irons (if you were trying to mix the Tour and HMP and crossed over at 7) unless the lofts were adjusted.

I would probably just get a whole set if I was looking at getting new irons. The HM Pros are fine as is, no need to replace them yet. I plan to get something like the tours in a couple of years though.

Recently tested the 919 Forged. It barely lost to Cobra to go in my bag. But they look sexy and I think everyone should give them a look! From never hitting a Mizuno iron to almost putting them in the bag after 1 range session is impressive. Hats off to Mizuno for producing an awesome product.

Was time for a bath, all clean now.

22bbcfd9ed467d88194387f04dee6525.jpg

I finally took the plunge on new irons and went with the 919 Hot Metals with Recoil 95s. First time to the range with them I was way off on my swing, hitting everything out on the toe. Could not find the sweet spot at all and was hitting some so far out on the toe that the ball mark was at the very end of the club, inches from a swing and miss. While the feel was awful, the ball flight was not that much worse than I was getting with my Ping i25s. I just knew that the club had much more to give than I was getting from it that day so I was still pretty stoked.

Next time out, I worked out some of my swing flaws and the ball flight was just awesome. I was a good club and a half longer, the ball did this thing I see on TV where it would go up and then seemingly rise just a bit more. It was the most fun I've ever had hitting golf balls. The Recoil shafts just feel so smooth and give me an extra kick at the bottom that feels extra powerful. I've yet to hit these off grass so it remains to be seen whether the low bounce is an issue for me since I have a tendency to come in a bit steep. At this time, I am super impressed with these irons and can't wait to hit them again.

my variation on the theme - I think the putter was out drinking or something

919 - 1.jpg

My 919 HMP came in yesterday. They arrived exactly as ordered, with Recoil 95 F4 shafts and Winn mid sized grips.
My two most recent previous sets were the Srixon Z945 and the Mizuno MMC. The HMP is a departure from the blades/small CB I have played for the last two year after coming back to golf.
I hit about 200 balls with a 15mph wind at my back with the HMP's yesterday. Today is suppose to be beautiful so that will mean an early exit from work and see what I can do on the course with them.
Early observations mean very little with me, but I will share just to see where this experiment goes. The reason for giving these a go is all the forum discussions about GI's should be played by most amateur golfers and that is me so here we go. My HC is setting at a 7 now, and moving slowly in the right direction. Some great lessons this winter have me ahead of where I was this time last year. Now to first observations:
1. Appearance - To my eye, best of breed. A bit chunky coming from what I have been playing, but not a lot of offset and looking down at it does not bother me at all. It is a pretty good looking club.
2. Feel- I would call it just OK. Of course nothing like the Srixon Z945, but you got to know that coming in. Having said that, great feel is fun but I am much more concerned with where the ball goes. Feel is down the list when I am looking for a golf club.
3. Turf interaction- Coming from the Srixon V sole, there is going to be an adjustment. I was taking much bigger divots with the HMP's and I will want to adjust my swing a tiny bit for this. I have found the V sole to be my favorite design, but again not a deal breaker. I have never had a V sole in the past and got along fine. Just another difference as I test.
4. Distance- The HMP's are crazy long. Of course when you start getting above the 8 iron lofts get strong on you pretty quick. Having said that, loft for loft vs my last blade these clubs are long.
5. Forgiveness - The most I have ever played.

Today when I get to an actual round, I will be looking closely at a few performance characteristics. In order of importance:
1. Repeatable and consistent distances (I can adjust to how far they go but they need to offer repeatable distances on good swings).
2. How the shots react when they hit the green (spin and decent).
3. Trajectory can be a little higher than my preferred flight but I have to be able to keep them from ballooning into the breeze.

It was fun on the range banging balls further with shorter shafted clubs. I hit a lot of high and straight shots but that should be expected with this club design. Hopefully the "forgiveness" of a GI will translate to a few shots less on my card when I get use to them. If the GI does not work for me, I will start thread #4,562,222 on the subject LOL.

fwiw I have found that knockdown shots with the HMP are very well-behaved. Turf interaction for me is better than my i210s (which are fairly wide sole). I agree that the feel isn't the softest, but isn't anywhere near P790 or i500 territory (which I didn't like). Interested to see how your experiment goes. I'm hoping to get another round in with mine today but my back is 50-50 at the moment.

Played another round yesterday with my HMP’s. Finding good consistency in my 9i and PW when hitting into the greens. No fliers and always right on the nuts of where I am aiming. Not very much roll out and every shot held on to the green. I had one were towards the green there is a 30 yard drop off in to the green with bunkers on both sides. Struck the ball with my 8i and it was going right where I wanted it but the wind caught it and the ball hit the fringe into the bunker. Tricky shot but that was the only one were I missed.

Absolutely love the irons and the non glare finish.

Will try and get out soon but looks like temps are going to drop below 40 here in the next few days.

Here’s my bag

Attachments

• 606F5906-0FCD-4D34-B04A-8ABE6052F355.jpeg
    606F5906-0FCD-4D34-B04A-8ABE6052F355.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 2
Great set of sticks!!

Due to work pressures, I haven't gotten to play much until yesterday. I'm still getting good distance and control with my HM's. It still amazes me to no end that I can actually hit a 6-iron now! Also, while this isn't actually the correct thread for this, I realized yesterday that I can actually hit a controlled fade with both my Mizuno ST190 5-wood, and my CLK 5-hybrid.

BTW, when I bought these clubs, I was a bit concerned about the gapping between my 919 HM 6-iron, and my CLK 5-hybrid, as they are 26* & 25* respectively. However, I've found that the distance gapping between them is near perfect for me. I hit the 6 about 155-160, and the 5 about 165-170. I guess sometimes it pays to listen to your Mizuno rep.

Damn there are some clean looking bags in this thread!

I started with 919 Forged 5-PW, but I think I am going to go combo. Tour PW - 8 and Forged 7-5. I want a little smaller profile in the scoring irons. Absolutely brilliant clubs. Feel way better than my Apex Pro 19s, which I’ll be selling this week.

Was super windy today, but the Hot Metals handled it well. I had some stupid long shots with the wind today, and was having to go 2 clubs up into the wind.

BTW, when I bought these clubs, I was a bit concerned about the gapping between my 919 HM 6-iron, and my CLK 5-hybrid, as they are 26* & 25* respectively. However, I've found that the distance gapping between them is near perfect for me. I hit the 6 about 155-160, and the 5 about 165-170. I guess sometimes it pays to listen to your Mizuno rep.

Perfect example of doing the experiment to see what works for the individual. The lofts are just part of the story.

Played yesterday and like Snickerdog said the wind was fairly strong. 2 clubs up in the wind was what I had todo. I have yet to come up with any type of complaint about these irons, they are the best I have had. They are high, long, and puts enough spin to compliment the height. I can hit a cheap 2 piece ball and not get much run out lol. When I hit the RB balls into the wind compared to other balls, either model is farther on the green, which is kinda cool. I'm not a guy who backs things up but since these irons, I have a few times, with the RB balls. I can now flag hunt w/o the chance of blowing the green.

After three range sessions and one round, the only HM's I'm not thrilled with are the blade-style Gap and Sand wedges. I didn't really expect to game the set Sand wedge, preferring the forgiveness of the cavity back CBX, but I thought I could make the Gap wedge work. I struggled with it on the course, however, as I inexplicably missed a couple of greens pretty badly with it on full swings. (Strangely, I also stuck one 3' from the pin on the final hole from 115 yards.) The GW is a club I pull often, so we need to get along. Yesterday I ordered a 50* CBX to see if it suits my game better. I suspect it will, and I wonder if Mizuno should have continued the Hot Metal's cavity back design through the GW & SW. Better HM players looking for more precision always have the option of blending the HM Pros, Forged or even the Tours into the scoring irons, but high handicappers like myself have the potential to struggle.

Last edited:
After three range sessions and one round, the only HM's I'm not thrilled with are the blade-style Gap and Sand wedges. I didn't really expect to game the set Sand wedge, preferring the forgiveness of the cavity back CBX, but I thought I could make the Gap wedge work. I struggled with it on the course, however, as I inexplicably missed a couple of greens pretty badly with it on full swings. (Strangely, I also stuck one 3' from the pin on the final hole from 115 yards.) The GW is a club I pull often, so we need to get along. Yesterday I ordered a 50* CBX to see if it suits my game better. I suspect it will, and I wonder if Mizuno should have continued the Hot Metal's cavity back design through the GW & SW. Better HM players looking for more precision always have the option of blending the HM Pros, Forged or even the Tours into the scoring irons, but high handicappers like myself have the potential to struggle.

I get along really well with the Gap, but it would have been nice if they brought the tech down to the gap.

Back