Mizuno JPX919 Irons

After three range sessions and one round, the only HM's I'm not thrilled with are the blade-style Gap and Sand wedges. I didn't really expect to game the set Sand wedge, preferring the forgiveness of the cavity back CBX, but I thought I could make the Gap wedge work. I struggled with it on the course, however, as I inexplicably missed a couple of greens pretty badly with it on full swings. (Strangely, I also stuck one 3' from the pin on the final hole from 115 yards.) The GW is a club I pull often, so we need to get along. Yesterday I ordered a 50* CBX to see if it suits my game better. I suspect it will, and I wonder if Mizuno should have continued the Hot Metal's cavity back design through the GW & SW. Better HM players looking for more precision always have the option of blending the HM Pros, Forged or even the Tours into the scoring irons, but high handicappers like myself have the potential to struggle.

I ended up getting the 919Forged GW to go along with my HMPs. So far I like it. It is 51* which actually gaps ok for me with the 45* PW. Could also bend it a degree strong if you want, but you lose a bit of bounce if that is important.

I struggle with iron play today, but the forgiveness of the HM's save me quite a few times. On well struck shots the HM's performed great.

After three range sessions and one round, the only HM's I'm not thrilled with are the blade-style Gap and Sand wedges. I didn't really expect to game the set Sand wedge, preferring the forgiveness of the cavity back CBX, but I thought I could make the Gap wedge work. I struggled with it on the course, however, as I inexplicably missed a couple of greens pretty badly with it on full swings. (Strangely, I also stuck one 3' from the pin on the final hole from 115 yards.) The GW is a club I pull often, so we need to get along. Yesterday I ordered a 50* CBX to see if it suits my game better. I suspect it will, and I wonder if Mizuno should have continued the Hot Metal's cavity back design through the GW & SW. Better HM players looking for more precision always have the option of blending the HM Pros, Forged or even the Tours into the scoring irons, but high handicappers like myself have the potential to struggle.

What shaft do you have? I might be interested in the SW if you decide you don't want it.

What shaft do you have? I might be interested in the SW if you decide you don't want it.

Project X Stiff, 1/4" shorter than standard.

Joining the mizuno club just in time for 2 weeks of rain.

Thought I was going ping, but a fitting led to these.

abF6e9G.jpg

My back finally healed up enough to do a lesson today. Just swinging 7i, but was good to hit something after a week + of ice and rest. Fixed a bit of a weight transfer thing that crept into my swing (old habits die hard), and then a nice consistent 155y carry on good strikes, 145 on the misses. More good than miss, may have turned a bit of a corner. Love the way the HMP feels, and get a nice controlled baby draw with them.

Ordered my second set of 919s. Went all Forged first time, but realized I really wanted a combo set. Tour 8-PW and Forged 5-7. Should be fun. Tweaked the lofts in the 8 and 9 to cover gaps. Should have them in 10 days. Other set to be posted if it all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joining the mizuno club just in time for 2 weeks of rain.

Thought I was going ping, but a fitting led to these.

abF6e9G.jpg

Every time I see these I wish I had bought them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another round with my JPX 919 Hot Metals today. Although I was a touch wild of the tee, I was able to hit some quality recovery shots. Last year, playing Cobra F7 One Lengths, I averaged roughly 33% GIR. So far this year, I'm averaging about 44%, and today, despite the off-the-tee wildness, I hit 13 greens in regulation. 72%!!! Have I yet mentioned just how much I love these HM's?

Another round with my JPX 919 Hot Metals today. Although I was a touch wild of the tee, I was able to hit some quality recovery shots. Last year, playing Cobra F7 One Lengths, I averaged roughly 33% GIR. So far this year, I'm averaging about 44%, and today, despite the off-the-tee wildness, I hit 13 greens in regulation. 72%!!! Have I yet mentioned just how much I love these HM's?

That is some really good results Rebel!!!!!!! Glad to hear it.

Agreed! Keep at it rebel!

I will be able to play a few rounds this weekend. Temps will be be back above 40* outside and no more rain.

Just had to chime in and repeat: The 919 Forged irons are really exceptional. Wow! Had a tough shot recently and these clubs delivered. I was behind a tree 190 yards out from the green. Had to hit a low, big sweeping hook around the trouble. I set my body aimed to the right, closed the club face, put the ball back in my stance, and swung away. I wish I could have recorded it. It was awesome. The ball landed before the front of the green and chased back towards the pin. So much fun!

I recently pulled the trigger on a used set of 919 Forged with KBS Tour Regular Shafts and so far I've had great performance through a few rounds.

Last week I jarred one from 135 with the PW, and I have to say that I've hit a number of surprisingly solid shots with honestly a pretty ragged swing thus far this season (weather has been rough this spring). Distance is great. I feel like I'm getting good ball speed, but I've never been surprised by anything resembling a hotspot in the center of the face. Straight, decently long and forgiving.

I'm impressed with the consistency overall, and also with the forgiveness low on the face in the 5-7 irons and out towards the toe with all the clubs. A bit firmer feel than a players forged blade/cavity back, but I need more forgiveness than Brooks Koepka so I'm not about to trade these in for the tours just for feel. Very nice feel compared to almost any "players distance iron" including even the Callaway Apex 19 Forged.

Something in particular that I like is that I can hit the 5 iron very well indeed. As someone 50+ with a mid 90s driver swing speed I need a bit more forgiveness in the 5 iron and I don't want to play 3 hybrids. The 5 iron is great for me. Excellent flight, forgiveness and easy to hit as are all the irons. I'm looking forward to swinging these with a little better swing going forward. I definitely can't complain about the iron shots I've been hitting with them.

Driver:
Cobra Fly Z (still hanging around, getting it done)
3 Wood:
Taylormade M2 HL 16.5*
3H:
Cobra F7 19*
4H:
Cobra F7 23*
Irons:
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, KBS Tour Regular
Wedges:
Cleveland RTX 3 55* and 60*
Putter:
Taylormade Spider Tour

Last edited:
Had a really good night with the Hot Metals. Holed out from 163 for eagle on the par 5. 130 yards to two feet on another hole. No fat shots tonight,

Finally got to play 9 holes today after getting the back rehabbed. 3rd round with the HMPs, first with the 5i that I added. Greens were punched and sanded last week so putting was impossible. Not a great score (4 over), but the irons weren't holding me back this round. Both par 3s where I hit iron had me putting for birdie (9i on one, 6i on another). Hit a nice 5i layup on another hole, and on 9 hit my 6i approach about 165 into the wind to about 12 feet from the hole. Ball flight was very nice - on the low side but not a ton of run out. I did seem to turn a bit of a corner at my lesson on Monday so I figure the results are a mix of the clubs and improving swing. Still had one or two approaches not to my liking, and a few chips weren't up to snuff but part of that was the greens. But like with Snickerdog - no fat shots (yay!)

Like these so much I'm actually going to order a 4i and sell the 4H and 5H I have. Figure I'll use the 4i as a tee club when necessary and probably can hit it off the deck, as the 5i was very well behaved. Great clubs. My 3H is great off the deck to about 195 so my bag may be fairly set (hahahahaha).

Finally got to play 9 holes today after getting the back rehabbed. 3rd round with the HMPs, first with the 5i that I added. Greens were punched and sanded last week so putting was impossible. Not a great score (4 over), but the irons weren't holding me back this round. Both par 3s where I hit iron had me putting for birdie (9i on one, 6i on another). Hit a nice 5i layup on another hole, and on 9 hit my 6i approach about 165 into the wind to about 12 feet from the hole. Ball flight was very nice - on the low side but not a ton of run out. I did seem to turn a bit of a corner at my lesson on Monday so I figure the results are a mix of the clubs and improving swing. Still had one or two approaches not to my liking, and a few chips weren't up to snuff but part of that was the greens. But like with Snickerdog - no fat shots (yay!)

Like these so much I'm actually going to order a 4i and sell the 4H and 5H I have. Figure I'll use the 4i as a tee club when necessary and probably can hit it off the deck, as the 5i was very well behaved. Great clubs. My 3H is great off the deck to about 195 so my bag may be fairly set (hahahahaha).

I am totally thinking about that also. I hit the 5i really well. I have thought about a 4i for awhile now. I could do a 4i and do a CLK 2 or 3h.

I am totally thinking about that also. I hit the 5i really well. I have thought about a 4i for awhile now. I could do a 4i and do a CLK 2 or 3h.

The Cobra F9 3H I have is stupid-easy to hit, so I can't see moving out of that. I did look long and hard at the CLK though, thinking about a 2H as an alternate tee club. Right now the only real change I'm pondering is an ST190 5W to swap out the 3W depending on the course. I suspect the 5W would be a bit longer than the 3H, and might make a good off the tee club along with the 4i to give me 3 different options. I don't hit the 3W great off the tee - I like a deeper face and I think the ST190 is a bit deeper than the Cobra (and also flatter lie which I prefer). The 3H is also amazing from the rough, where the 5W likely wouldn't be as good.

I have the 4i and it is really easy to hit. I am carrying 200-205 with it. I have a Rogue 2h and a 3w. Thinking of dropping the 3w and adding a wedge or I could just keep my bag as is. Haven't decided yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Returned a demo club at a demo day LOL he sent it to me to try (heavier shaft 3W). And of course hit more Mizuno's
1620cf6c78f98ce681a563ec5ba6544c.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had a really good night with the Hot Metals. Holed out from 163 for eagle on the par 5. 130 yards to two feet on another hole. No fat shots tonight,

That's great, Snickerdog!

Another pretty good day with the irons today. Almost holed out from 137, easy 8 iron into the wind and the ball bounced and hit the pin but didn't drop. Made for an easy birdie.
I pretty much have my distances down, and am comfortable with ball flight.

Another pretty good day with the irons today. Almost holed out from 137, easy 8 iron into the wind and the ball bounced and hit the pin but didn't drop. Made for an easy birdie.
I pretty much have my distances down, and am comfortable with ball flight.

I'd find a way to 3 putt it LOLOL
Nice work! Same here, distances and ball flight is very consistent, even a toey shot will get up there.

I'd find a way to 3 putt it LOLOL
Nice work! Same here, distances and ball flight is very consistent, even a toey shot will get up there.

Make that 3 of us. I love the consistency, height (not too high, not too low), and distance I'm getting from my Hot Metals. For me at least, the marriage of the HM's with the Recoil 95 F3's is perfect. I told my playing partner yesterday that this is the first time in my life I've had a full set of clubs that are accurately fit to my swing and with the proper shafts for me.

Now if I could just settle on the right ball. My HM's seem to really like the Truvis, Snell MTB's, and Mizuno RBx's. Yesterday, I played a Mizuno until I sailed it into a watery abyss on the 10th hole. Dropped a Snell MTBx and played it the rest of the round, during which I was able to get 4 beautiful drop and stop shots into greens. Alas, if only my putter loved me as much as my Hot Metals do.

Make that 3 of us. I love the consistency, height (not too high, not too low), and distance I'm getting from my Hot Metals. For me at least, the marriage of the HM's with the Recoil 95 F3's is perfect. I told my playing partner yesterday that this is the first time in my life I've had a full set of clubs that are accurately fit to my swing and with the proper shafts for me.

Now if I could just settle on the right ball. My HM's seem to really like the Truvis, Snell MTB's, and Mizuno RBx's. Yesterday, I played a Mizuno until I sailed it into a watery abyss on the 10th hole. Dropped a Snell MTBx and played it the rest of the round, during which I was able to get 4 beautiful drop and stop shots into greens. Alas, if only my putter loved me as much as my Hot Metals do.
My combo, I am so happy with. I love the Recoils, no doubt.
I am gonna stick with the RBTX. Distance is really good and I can purty much pin hunt, cuz they stop right there. I don't spin nothing back but I have the X. The tour is awesome also but less driver spin. Some have said the X is shorter and durability is not so great. At this point I haven't seen it. And I have hit alot of shots with a ball I singled out to check. I was going to have a mixed bag when I was doing my bag but testing every thing from driver to wedges, just worked fantastic for me. LOL and even the ball.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Back