Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Hit my 7 iron last night on the simulator. I forgot to take a picture, but carry was 175, club head speed was 93.5, and spin was 6750. These are supposed to be low spin irons. Most people are sub 6000 with the 7 iron. I'm going to be looking for a lower spin ball. Also, maybe a softer one, because I'm not in love with the feel of these. I have always played Forged irons since I began playing at 13 years old. These are the first cast clubs I have ever had. It is a noticeable difference! Also, I also found out I needed to swing harder(my normal swing)! I have conditioned myself not to swing so hard because of the equipment I always played was definitely not what I needed. Now that I was fit for these and have the proper shaft flex, length, grip size, etc. I can swing for the fences!

That is some great swing speed with 7 iron!!!
Honest question: Why do you think you will need a lower spinning ball? IMO that seems dead on to be able to get a ball to hit and stop and not have 4-5 feet of roll out.

Said my goodbyes to the tours last week.

Thinking back on my 7 months I have nothing but super positive thoughts about the iron.

From the finish that is perfect and not distracting to the ease of hitting a more players design, these irons were definitely in the top 3 set of irons that I’ve ever owned. While not a premium ball striker by any means, they never once felt like they were too much for me. The only part of them I would have changed is taking the 4 and maybe 5 out to replace with either the hm pros or a hybrid. I just don’t create enough speed/spin to truly elevate the ball with them and get proper carry.

As I’ve said in earlier posts, while not your typical mizuno feel, these do feel very very good. Feedback of where the shot came off the face also very apparent and easy without much jarring (although that could be also from the elevates in them). Even with semi traditional lofts, distance was on par with other players and semi game improvement irons I’ve played (ie c300 forged). Moving the ball was very easy. I don’t typically try and curve it unless I’ve put myself into trouble off the tee, but in terms of being able to hit high or low was very easy.

It was a great experience playing them and of course I owe it to THP, Mizuno, Hammock Beach, and of course my wife for allowing me to make these types of trips and putting up with my club habit haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is some great swing speed with 7 iron!!!
Honest question: Why do you think you will need a lower spinning ball? IMO that seems dead on to be able to get a ball to hit and stop and not have 4-5 feet of roll out.

The HM Pro 7 iron is 30* with .112”(2.75mm) offset. A traditional 7 iron would be more like 34-35* loft and a traditional 6 iron would be 30* loft. So, I know most people try to go for 1000 rpms x club number (7 iron=7000rpms) so shouldn’t I be below 6000rpms? I was at 2700 with the driver and 3000 with the 3 wood. Wondering how much more distance I can get and will a lower spinning ball produce any straighter shot...although my 3 wood last night was dead on the money straight.

The HM Pro 7 iron is 30* with .112”(2.75mm) offset. A traditional 7 iron would be more like 34-35* loft and a traditional 6 iron would be 30* loft. So, I know most people try to go for 1000 rpms x club number (7 iron=7000rpms) so shouldn’t I be below 6000rpms? I was at 2700 with the driver and 3000 with the 3 wood. Wondering how much more distance I can get and will a lower spinning ball produce any straighter shot...although my 3 wood last night was dead on the money straight.

I see your point, but also have to consider how you are striking the ball. Take the same 7 iron and put in someone elses hands with the same swing speed and you won't get the same results because of ball strike.

Some combo of these may make it into the bag this year :) I like everything about them!

I have taken a couple of lessons because my consistency has been off, and the new coach has gotten me to swing with a more squared face at my take away, and we changed my grip to be stronger, and since making these swing changes, I have added a club to 1.5 clubs in distance, but I am starting to see that there is quite a bit of roll out from my ball marks. I have changed balls to the Bridgestone B RX away from the Q Star Tour so maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyone else find this with the HMs?

I've actually seen the opposite with my HM's. I'm hitting the ball further in general with them, but with well-struck shots, my shots are stopping within 10 feet. That is significant for me as I used to get 10-15 yards of rollout. I've been alternating balls between the ChromeSoft X Truvis, Snell MTB-X, and Mizuno RB Tour X, each of which perform well for me with my HM's (with all my clubs, for that matter).

I've actually seen the opposite with my HM's. I'm hitting the ball further in general with them, but with well-struck shots, my shots are stopping within 10 feet. That is significant for me as I used to get 10-15 yards of rollout. I've been alternating balls between the ChromeSoft X Truvis, Snell MTB-X, and Mizuno RB Tour X, each of which perform well for me with my HM's (with all my clubs, for that matter).

I am wondering if might be the B RX ball? I do get more distance with it over the Q Star Tour.

The rollout hasn't been a real problem where I am blowing greens, but on 7 irons and I would expect to see a little less roll than what I see now.

Last night was one of those nights where the irons finally clicked. Shot even par for 9. The two bogeys came from hitting over the greens and ending up in bad positions, but the birdies where from good shots that didn't roll out much and gave me chances. These are producing nice high irons shots that are hitting and rolling out a bit.

Last night was one of those nights where the irons finally clicked. Shot even par for 9. The two bogeys came from hitting over the greens and ending up in bad positions, but the birdies where from good shots that didn't roll out much and gave me chances. These are producing nice high irons shots that are hitting and rolling out a bit.

I love how high my shots are as well. Even 5-6 iron I was getting the ball way up. I just need to hit more greens.

Playing the best golf since I was 19 right now with the Hot Metals. Best irons for a slow swing speed hack imo. I am just really, really enjoying these irons.

Some more Hot Metal love, the Most Wanted winner in the GI category!!!

- Top 10 at in proximity to hole and shot area with 4, 7, and PW in their test
- Unanimously picked as the best looking GI Irons
- Exceptionally consistent ball speed and carry distance

On a side note I noticed the shocking ball speed from the Tommy Armour irons Dicks is selling so I checked the specs. The 7 iron is 27* compared to the Hot Metal at 31*. The PW in the TA set was 41* LOL!

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-most-wanted-game-improvement-iron/

Can I ask you what your iron swing speed is? I also am a slow swinger looking at these irons and shafts.

Thanks.
75-77ish

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can I ask you what your iron swing speed is? I also am a slow swinger looking at these irons and shafts.

Thanks.

75-77ish

@stevegp...don’t let MGR fool you, he still hits the heck out of it! He just has a short, slap shot, hockey swing! So, he getting 75mph with 1/2 to 2/3 of your swing length.

@stevegp...don’t let MGR fool you, he still hits the heck out of it! He just has a short, slap shot, hockey swing! So, he getting 75mph with 1/2 to 2/3 of your swing length.
I should mention that...

I should mention that...

I do think if you ever get fit...even though your SS is low and conventional wisdom says you should be playing softer flex shafts, I bet because of your aggressive tempo, you would be fitted into something with a stiffer flex.

I do think if you ever get fit...even though your SS is low and conventional wisdom says you should be playing softer flex shafts, I bet because of your aggressive tempo, you would be fitted into something with a stiffer flex.
Or if I ever learned a full swing...

Thanks, MGR. I appreciate the feedback.

Our swing speed is about the same. I used to be much more aggressive on my downswing, but I have toned that down a bit. I've been working a lot on smoothing out my tempo.

How do you like the Project X LA shafts? They and the Recoils are my current top shaft considerations.

Thanks, MGR. I appreciate the feedback.

Our swing speed is about the same. I used to be much more aggressive on my downswing, but I have toned that down a bit. I've been working a lot on smoothing out my tempo.

How do you like the Project X LA shafts? They and the Recoils are my current top shaft considerations.
5-9 I don't see a crazy difference from what I had. But I'm impressed with the shafts in the P-G-S clubs. My other wedges have recoil 110s in them if that tells you we have similar mindsets

@stevegp this week I plan on getting a range session in this week, I'll message you a breakdown of distances if it helps.

Thanks, MGR. That would be helpful information.

How do you like the irons so far? Are they living up to your expectations performance-wise?

Did you consider the Hot Metal Pros or the Hot Metal Forged?

The HM Pro’s are straight up money! So forgiving! Long too but still have plenty of spin. I’m picking up 4-6 yards per club with no loss of stopping power. Shot 80 today with a iffy driver and cold putter. The irons/wedges saved my bacon all round long!

Back