Mizuno JPX919 Irons

I thought about that and it's a legit option. I'm just not sure if my brain can handle not having a 5 iron and going straight from 6 to 4 lol. In my mind I also imagine the shorter 5 iron being a little easier to hit. I have played with two 4 irons before so I guess this isn't that different or crazy...
Isn’t that some Chicago song?
”Keep the 5 or 6 to 4” ?

My 919 Hot Metal irons will be on there way to another THPer the week of Thanksgiving.
I have had some great rounds with these irons this year and would not hesitate to get another set of Mizuno irons.
If you are in the market for irons, don't be overlooking Mizuno and what they have to offer.

Was fit for the hot metals this morning with kbs $ Taper stiff. Hit the hot metal pro and forged and pretty good as well but as a high handicap I’m intimidated by the less forgiving forged with mis-hits.

Any thoughts to go HM/HMP combo set or stick with all HM if I don’t have a particular preference either way in the head size?

thanks in advance!

Was fit for the hot metals this morning with kbs $ Taper stiff. Hit the hot metal pro and forged and pretty good as well but as a high handicap I’m intimidated by the less forgiving forged with mis-hits.

Any thoughts to go HM/HMP combo set or stick with all HM if I don’t have a particular preference either way in the head size?

thanks in advance!
I’ve hit the 919 HM along side of the 919 Forged, surprisingly the forged was more forgiving than you would think, as a mid handicapper I’m not afraid to play the forged set. I just like the head size better than the HM. I had the PX LZ 115 5.5 shaft in both, really wasn’t punished that much on miss hits, I currently play the Ping i e1 irons and really like them, don’t see them leaving any time soon unless I find a good deal on 919 forged set, the Pings are great feeling irons, not much difference between them and the Mizzies.

Went to the golf dome this weekend to work through the bag and try to get distances. Each bay has a basic launch monitor that gives ball speed and carry distance. Based on using this over the last few winters, using an outdoor Top Tracer range, time on GC2 and Quad, Trackman and on course testing, I can say the units at the dome are fairly accurate on distance but may read ball speed on the lower end.

Below is what I recorded for distances through the set. Of course this has me pondering bag setup now. Top end gets a touch bunch up. Considering checking the loft on 4 and 5 irons and making adjustments to space them out a bit. Other option is to bend the 5 iron 2 degrees stronger so it hits about 192 and then drop the 4 iron for my 4h that carries 205. Other contenders for the top end are a 20* GI iron that gives 210 carry and an incoming 20* hybrid that I'm hoping hits 215-220. The good news is that I have all winter to figure it out :eek:

PW- 124
9i- 139
8i- 155
7i- 167
6i- 181
5i- 187
4i- 195
Interesting spread between 7i and 6i.... and 6i to 5i. I have seen a similar bunch up with my HMP at the 5i & 4i with only about 8yds difference, I think I'll do what you suggest and have the lofts checked

I played my last round with the Hot Metals today. Played these irons for a full year now and am quite happy with the performance of them. Plenty of forgiveness on off center hits. I never noticed any flyers with these and the finish has held up quite well.
These irons are going to a new home and a THPer @Grins I hope he has as much success as I have had with them.

Interesting spread between 7i and 6i.... and 6i to 5i. I have seen a similar bunch up with my HMP at the 5i & 4i with only about 8yds difference, I think I'll do what you suggest and have the lofts checked
What about taking your own advice and just dropping the 5

Honestly, I need some more time with mine (HMP) to get a better feel of what the clubs are doing and what I'm doing. But duly noted for sure.
Completely understand. I rechecked my gapping on the same monitor and now it's perfect between 6 and 5, but 4 is a little bunched up but not too bad. Realistically this is the least of my worries but still fun to ponder.

After 15 months, still enjoying the 919 Forged.

Just want to say I love the 919 Tours I got during the Ultimate Weekend of Golf! Still haven't had them on the course due to weather but I've had a few more range sessions including Top Golf. Between the Tour head and the DG120 shaft I feel like I can swing as hard as I want without fear of a big hook. No problem flighting them down or taking a little off for odd yardages.

I feel like me and the 4 iron are just simpatico. I'm not sure I can hit a bad shot with it. Hit 2 balls into the lake by my house today. Just so pure feeling.

f40682ffa0c896d9aaa894a68e0e9c78.jpg

Just want to say I love the 919 Tours I got during the Ultimate Weekend of Golf! Still haven't had them on the course due to weather but I've had a few more range sessions including Top Golf. Between the Tour head and the DG120 shaft I feel like I can swing as hard as I want without fear of a big hook. No problem flighting them down or taking a little off for odd yardages.

I feel like me and the 4 iron are just simpatico. I'm not sure I can hit a bad shot with it. Hit 2 balls into the lake by my house today. Just so pure feeling.

f40682ffa0c896d9aaa894a68e0e9c78.jpg
Glad you’re enjoying your clubs.... I was out last week with my HMP version with the True Temper DG120 S400 and these babies are so sweet! Round was cut short by rain, but clubs continue to impress! Finally dialed in the distance and I’m consistently 1/2 to 1 club longer than my Rogue Pros. I finally got some grip tape to build up the grips a bit so I’ll be doing that this weekend! Has been raining here the last few days but I’m hoping to get out on Sunday!

Just bought my 13 yr old son a set of Hot Metals for Christmas. I hit them and the HMP - really like the HMP for a 4i or 5i - may get a 4i and weaken the 20 loft to to 21 and get it shorter than standard in length and chuck the 919F 5i with which I am inconsistent.

Looking at MIzuno Graphite Options - besides Recoil 95, everything else is Recoil ESX in 60g range - need an expansion of choices.

I detest hitting in bays but got a HMP 7i with the 64g ESX and carried it 165 - that's good for me as to carry. Only a few years ago, my total distance with 7i was 144. The older I get ...

Just bought my 13 yr old son a set of Hot Metals for Christmas. I hit them and the HMP - really like the HMP for a 4i or 5i - may get a 4i and weaken the 20 loft to to 21 and get it shorter than standard in length and chuck the 919F 5i with which I am inconsistent.

Looking at MIzuno Graphite Options - besides Recoil 95, everything else is Recoil ESX in 60g range - need an expansion of choices.

I detest hitting in bays but got a HMP 7i with the 64g ESX and carried it 165 - that's good for me as to carry. Only a few years ago, my total distance with 7i was 144. The older I get ...
Love my HMP long irons.... ball just jumps off the face! Paired with the #TrueTemper DG120 S400 my ball flight is a bit lower and more penetrating than previous gamers! Feel is better than expected as well!

I have been given the chance to hit a full set of the Forged ( 4 - GW ) with True Temper 105 s300 shafts and have a few rounds under my belt now. I am seriously impressed with these clubs... I have posted 2 sub 80 rounds now which is way below my 16 handicap, being able to hit greens and have the ball stick has been something that has been eluding me. I am even having a lot of fun with the 4 iron which I had replaced out of my existing set with a hybrid due to it's inconsistency.

The low penetrating ball flight, overall distance and dispersion are way tighter than my old Ping i20's that I have had since they came onto the market. I had the chance to try the Ping i210's at a demo day thinking they would be my logical replacement but am finding the Mizuno's Forged far more enjoyable to hit.

Looks like I'll be keeping these... I truly don't want to give them back.

Last edited:
After extensive testing with the Titleist T300 irons in my long iron spot after the Ultimate testing event last October I have decided in my long iron spot I still like my JPX919 Hot Metals. I definitely love the T200 irons much more in the scoring slots (7-PW), but I felt like the T300's were a little bit too big and the Hot Metals have a better profile for that spot in my bag. I hit the 5 iron out of the rough from long range a lot so that slightly smaller profile just looks a lot better at address for that scenario. I still think the T300's are great irons, they're just a bit larger than I like to look at personally.

I have been given the chance to hit a full set of the Forged ( 4 - GW ) with True Temper 105 s300 shafts and have a few rounds under my belt now. I am seriously impressed with these clubs... I have posted 2 sub 80 rounds now which is way below my 16 handicap, being able to hit greens and have the ball stick has been something that has been eluding me. I am even having a lot of fun with the 4 iron which I had replaced out of my existing set with a hybrid due to it's inconsistency.

The low penetrating ball flight, overall distance and dispersion are way tighter than my old Ping i20's that I have had since they came onto the market. I had the chance to try the Ping i210's at a demo day thinking they would be my logical replacement but am finding the Mizuno's Forged far more enjoyable to hit.

Looks like I'll be keeping these... I truly don't want to give them back.
What did you switch from?

I have loved my 919 tour/forged combo I got. They hit the right numbers without having any hot off the face. As long as I can put a good swing on it the ball goes how far I want it to. Not sure what I am going to do with them once I get the cobra gear for the MC. We will see how cobra stacks up to the 919. My favorite set I have had so far.

Enjoying the heck out of my 919F, and after 3 yrs of lessons, about once per month and not solely dedicated for the last 2 years - dating screws with your game - my swing and tempo are getting more comfortable.

I've got to say that I am mixing it up, ordered the HMP 4i to see if it works. Already have the 5i and may order the 6-PW in HMP and sell my backup 919F, which I don't use. The HMP set may be a winter set.

I see HMP in 4-5/6i, and 919F in 6/7-PW and MP T20 in the 3 wedges.

I will let you know that I had a playing lesson with my instructor over 4 holes and I learned more about playing the game in one hour than my life -- instead of avoiding bogeys, I was putting for birdie on all the holes - amazing what an instructor can have you seeing and evaluating.

Enjoying the heck out of my 919F, and after 3 yrs of lessons, about once per month and not solely dedicated for the last 2 years - dating screws with your game - my swing and tempo are getting more comfortable.

I've got to say that I am mixing it up, ordered the HMP 4i to see if it works. Already have the 5i and may order the 6-PW in HMP and sell my backup 919F, which I don't use. The HMP set may be a winter set.

I see HMP in 4-5/6i, and 919F in 6/7-PW and MP T20 in the 3 wedges.

I will let you know that I had a playing lesson with my instructor over 4 holes and I learned more about playing the game in one hour than my life -- instead of avoiding bogeys, I was putting for birdie on all the holes - amazing what an instructor can have you seeing and evaluating.
Looking at the same thing in my bag, just received the 919F 6-GW and trying to figure out which way to go for 4 and 5 irons. Wondering how a couple of 919 hmp would gap for more forgiveness or go 919f all the way. ?

Looking at the same thing in my bag, just received the 919F 6-GW and trying to figure out which way to go for 4 and 5 irons. Wondering how a couple of 919 hmp would gap for more forgiveness or go 919f all the way. ?

Depends on your game. I am hitting my 919F 5i and 6i fine, but I like the consistency and distance that I was getting over 2 rounds with the HMP. I definitely want an HMP 4i just to see the performance, although I am hitting my 22 Hybrid fine.

As to gapping, you can just go 80% fast or shorten the swing on an HMP instead of a faster swing with the 919f. I want consistency and distance on the mid to long irons. My talent level is where I am fully confident in the 7-PW in the 919F and less consistent in the 5i and 6i - mistake will be a thin shot because of tempo. I can correct that but I like the distance with HMP. You can strengthen the 919f in the transition iron although I don't like to affect bounce - I might go 1 degree stronger on the transition iron and/or weaken the loft on the HMP to eliminate gapping. It's a tough call.

Depends on your game. I am hitting my 919F 5i and 6i fine, but I like the consistency and distance that I was getting over 2 rounds with the HMP. I definitely want an HMP 4i just to see the performance, although I am hitting my 22 Hybrid fine.

As to gapping, you can just go 80% fast or shorten the swing on an HMP instead of a faster swing with the 919f. I want consistency and distance on the mid to long irons. My talent level is where I am fully confident in the 7-PW in the 919F and less consistent in the 5i and 6i - mistake will be a thin shot because of tempo. I can correct that but I like the distance with HMP. You can strengthen the 919f in the transition iron although I don't like to affect bounce - I might go 1 degree stronger on the transition iron and/or weaken the loft on the HMP to eliminate gapping. It's a tough call.
Thanks for that! Just for comparison, what are you using for shafts? My 6-GW 919F have Recoil 95 Protos in F4 and I'm getting great dispersion and feel. Just wondering what is working for you.

I have five of them...JPX 919 Forged model.
One of the few brands with lie angles that I don't need to flatten or lengths that I don't have to change..

As good as any irons that I have ever owned.
But I'm still the one who has to hit the ball.
There are no "miracle irons."

Thanks for that! Just for comparison, what are you using for shafts? My 6-GW 919F have Recoil 95 Protos in F4 and I'm getting great dispersion and feel. Just wondering what is working for you.
I've played Recoil 95 and if you want something that flights like steel, they are great. I like a more lively feel and go Accra i80 and may order an HMP in their constant weight shaft - they are the only ones that can do constant weight correctly due to the design of the shaft - have heard that from 2 unrelated clubmakers who have great reputations. I don't have an amazing swing speed - about 78, sometimes 80 in a 7i. Need to get back on Trackman and see. It all depends on what you want in a shaft. Mizuno came in Project X LZ 90 and I thought those gave excellent ballspeed - I just wanted more feel.

Back