Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Last night was my first night out with the forged and of course on the range it’s in my head and I’m shanking it. Lol. A gentleman was kind enough to tell me what I was doing and it was fixed. Ham and egged a decent round For couples league with some lovely shots and some bad ones.

The 919 Forged feel amazing, look stunning, and seem plenty forgiving. After a lackluster last hole, I decided to hit one last 8 iron on a par 3 to finish on a good shot. I usually hit 8 iron there as it’s all carry, so grabbed the same club. Hit a super high baby fade that proceeded to fly to the edge of the green (160ish in the air) and stop.

Will take a bit of adjustment from my AP1/AP2 set but I think the added forgiveness, slightly stronger lofts, and plenty of feel and spin will do wonders for me. These are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any pics of said 8 iron at address?

These are likely going to get a ton of feedback this weekend. I know my intention is to get them in my group for a round.

These are likely going to get a ton of feedback this weekend. I know my intention is to get them in my group for a round.

As an apex player, I can see you really being into these.

As an apex player, I can see you really being into these.

I can't wait. The scoring irons/wedges are actually a little weaker than my Apex and, along with the shaft pairing, it will be interesting to see how we all get along with these. I'd imagine they go early in the draft.

I can't wait. The scoring irons/wedges are actually a little weaker than my Apex and, along with the shaft pairing, it will be interesting to see how we all get along with these. I'd imagine they go early in the draft.

I find them to be a nice happy medium between “retro” lofts and the “power” lofts we are seeing now. Plenty of height and spin. Stoked to hear your ( and others) feedback.

Finally had a chance to swing the Forged 7-iron earlier this week. Awesome feel and surprising distance. I loved it right up to the point the club pro snatched it from my hands and implied my swing isn't worthy. I didn't realize a tour-level golf swing was a prerequisite to buy golf clubs. I never even got a chance to swing the Hot Metals.

Finally had a chance to swing the Forged 7-iron earlier this week. Awesome feel and surprising distance. I loved it right up to the point the club pro snatched it from my hands and implied my swing isn't worthy. I didn't realize a tour-level golf swing was a prerequisite to buy golf clubs. I never even got a chance to swing the Hot Metals.

It isn’t. Game what you like man!

Finally saw these in person and my goodness if those aren't some of the best looking irons I've ever laid my eyes on. Didn't get a chance to hit them yet, but it's on a short list of things to do for kicks and giggles on my next stop to Edwin Watts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd definitely ignore that dude. The Hot Metals at the very least should get a shot at the bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think these will be fun up against my Srixon 765's.

It isn’t. Game what you like man!

The irony is that I intentionally shortened my swing on the advice of another coach. Honestly, I thought it improved my game. For a hacker, I make pretty good contact most of the time with above average distance. This guy said he wouldn't sell me any clubs until I took lessons. Never heard of such a thing.

The irony is that I intentionally shortened my swing on the advice of another coach. Honestly, I thought it improved my game. For a hacker, I make pretty good contact most of the time with above average distance. This guy said he wouldn't sell me any clubs until I took lessons. Never heard of such a thing.

A salesman/pro actually said that to you? Wow. He is what's wrong with golf. If you like them, I'd suggest taking your business elsewhere, then showing up to the range of this pro and show him your new clubs.

Wow I would have some choice words for him.

might have a fight on our hands :)

sounds like a pro that needs to learn about bedside manner, and the game!!!

If you know your specs and like them, call your local online retailer... :) I use discountdansgolf, but plenty of sponsors here like budgetgolf, etc.

The 919F are sweet - giving me i500 like distance on the sim and built-in forgiveness. The line is evolutionary so you could do a combo set of HM in long to mid irons, 919F in mid to short irons.

Lessons? Yes, with the right Pro. Feedback and assistance is always good.

A salesman/pro actually said that to you? Wow. He is what's wrong with golf. If you like them, I'd suggest taking your business elsewhere, then showing up to the range of this pro and show him your new clubs.

He really did. Literally took the club from my hands. Maybe he was having a bad day, but there's no excuse for berating and insulting a potential customer that way. Considering how well I thought I was hitting them, the last thing I expected to hear when he charged out of the pro shop was "where did you learn to swing a golf club?"

Anyway, I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I did detail the experience more thoroughly in my Checking In thread if anybody is interested or would like to comment.

He really did. Literally took the club from my hands. Maybe he was having a bad day, but there's no excuse for berating and insulting a potential customer that way. Considering how well I thought I was hitting them, the last thing I expected to hear when he charged out of the pro shop was "where did you learn to swing a golf club?"

Anyway, I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I did detail the experience more thoroughly in my Checking In thread if anybody is interested or would like to comment.

I would find out who the owner/store manager/general manager is...that is completely unacceptable behavior even if he had a bad latte....If he did it to you, he is likely doing it to others...

If you know your specs and like them, call your local online retailer... :) I use discountdansgolf, but plenty of sponsors here like budgetgolf, etc.

The 919F are sweet - giving me i500 like distance on the sim and built-in forgiveness. The line is evolutionary so you could do a combo set of HM in long to mid irons, 919F in mid to short irons.

Lessons? Yes, with the right Pro. Feedback and assistance is always good.

I thought Hot Metals might be more appropriate for me if I can manage the offset. I definitely prefer the Forged's offset, appearance and higher lofts, but I'm also a realist. I'm happy to do a combo set, but Mizuno made it a bit harder on the 919's by increasing the loft difference between the Forged and HM's. I suppose I could achieve that with custom lofts. My intention was to narrow my choices, then schedule a fitting. Correction, my intention is to schedule a fitting. I'll just be doing it elsewhere.

I would find out who the owner/store manager/general manager is...that is completely unacceptable behavior even if he had a bad latte....If he did it to you, he is likely doing it to others...

He spoke as if he was the manager, maybe the owner. The shop has a good reputation though, so I'm baffled.

I thought Hot Metals might be more appropriate for me if I can manage the offset. I definitely prefer the Forged's offset, appearance and higher lofts, but I'm also a realist. I'm happy to do a combo set, but Mizuno made it a bit harder on the 919's by increasing the loft difference between the Forged and HM's. I suppose I could achieve that with custom lofts. My intention was to narrow my choices, then schedule a fitting. Correction, my intention is to schedule a fitting. I'll just be doing it elsewhere.

If hot metal is more your flavor but want less offset (this describes me too) wait it out and take a look at the Hot Metal Pros that will be coming out start of the new year.

As mentioned above, HM Pros will have less offset, less heel to toe - due out in February 2019. I've been using PXG 0311XF, but did not have trouble hitting 900F off grass. Then I looked at my old irons - I've played smaller irons before, did not need XF... lol. But that big head is a confidence booster and easier to hit long to mid irons higher. 8-PW is a decent switching point if you have doubts.

Back