Mizuno JPX919 Irons

So I had a set of Ping i700 custom ordered. It was going to take two weeks for them to arrive. While I waited for the set to arrive, I spent my lunch break everyday at my local PGA Superstore hitting various irons. During that time I fell in love with the JPX 919 Hot Metal. I have to admit I was a bit turned off by how badly the finish on the Ping i700 wears off. The demo club I hit look destroyed and I had read about this issue on this forum. But I was willing to deal with that because I hit them so well. But then I started hitting the JPX 919 Hot Metal and I was getting the same results, just as long, just as high, and the club was much much more appealing to look at. The 919 are such nice looking clubs. When my set arrived and they called me, I went down and you should have seen the look on their face when I said I wanted a different set. They were not happy with me, but at least I didn't hit them and then try to return them. I never picked them up, and they ordered the Mizuno set for me and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with this purchase. I have had one set of irons in my life that I felt were perfect and that I was truly in love with that and that set I played for 3 years (Callaway Apex irons). I feel like this set is even better!! This is the nicest set I've ever had. I'm 57 and truth be told I'm an old fat guy, but I can still play a little bit, but I admitted to myself what my swing speed is slower now and I got them fitted with an A flex and what a difference it's made. I'm able to fly my 7-iron 135 yards, and the flight is really high and I'm able to get my 7-iron to stop with rollout to 140/142. The Project X shaft they come in are amazing!!!!! I got the golf pride MCC Plus 4 grips in silver and it's the best looking iron package I've ever seen. I don't know how Mizuno does it, but I've already pounded on this set and they still look great, my Callaway Apex got knicked up pretty bad because they were forged, but these wear WAY better and they feel plenty soft to me....I could not recommend this anymore for someone like me that needs a little help (I'm a 16/17 now, I was a 13 five years ago) - plus, they are the best looking irons I've ever seen and they still look a bit like a players irons, not as clunky as the Ping i700 which I also didn't like...finally, one thing on the finish that you can't see in the pictures, is that Mizuno has blended a small bit of bright chrome finish in just the right places, to mix with a satin finish (which I love) in the majority of the club. It's a really interesting way to finish the club. The chrome is placed in places that does not wear much, so the chrome wears well, and the Mizuno satin is finish is famous and my favorite finish ever in an iron....

]

]

Last edited:
I'm also impressed with the Project X LZ Tour 90 Graphite Shaft and 919Forged combo - distance gains over other irons the first time out. Not that impressive with range balls that don't spin. But put a CS on the ground, and ball gets up and going.

I'm also impressed with the Project X LZ Tour 90 Graphite Shaft and 919Forged combo - distance gains over other irons the first time out. Not that impressive with range balls that don't spin. But put a CS on the ground, and ball gets up and going.

Nice Desmond. That's great to hear. As I await my set to arrive, I'm sitting here wondering if you have any thoughts about the results from mishits, specifically contact toward the toe.

Nice Desmond. That's great to hear. As I await my set to arrive, I'm sitting here wondering if you have any thoughts about the results from mishits, specifically contact toward the toe.

I’ve found results to be really good out towards the toe, even a little towards the heel. Little bit of distance loss but not punishing. If it’s a really bad strike, you know it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve found results to be really good out towards the toe, even a little towards the heel. Little bit of distance loss but not punishing. If it’s a really bad strike, you know it, though.

Are we talking good directionally or distance retention? Or the holy grail, both? Because, you know, I only hit the center of the face when I hit them down at the Ultimate Weekend [full disclosure: it was 3 times on the range and they were all flush, somehow].

Are we talking good directionally or distance retention? Or the holy grail, both? Because, you know, I only hit the center of the face when I hit them down at the Ultimate Weekend [full disclosure: it was 3 times on the range and they were all flush, somehow].

My sample size isn’t huge and I am getting 9 in tomorrow so probably can help so more after, but I’ve found them to be not super punishing either way. The culprit for me last time was alignment and ball position, causing a big old push, but at Carl’s the other day I got straightened out and solid contact slightly to the heel were dead straight flying prob 5-10 yards short.

I am working on getting rid of my toe miss - I can sense the toe hit, look at the face, and it confirms the contact - whether a bit towards heel or toe - I don't lose much on direction or distance - we're still early in the process, but I've been happy with the results on misses. The PX LZ Pro 90 seems a good fit for me.

868a9f6174d4987c29e0f12e019f815b.png

looks like mine will be dropped off today. I cannot wait!

Getting such good distance from the 919F PW, I may need to order the Gap, and just keep the specialty SW and LW. Need more play to figure this out. I need more from the Gap anyway...

Getting such good distance from the 919F PW, I may need to order the Gap, and just keep the specialty SW and LW. Need more play to figure this out. I need more from the Gap anyway...

Just judging strictly on lofts and now how far you hit them, the lofting makes sense with the PW at 46* and GW at 51*, which cuts the gap between your PW and SW right in half. Let us know how it plays out, I'm excited to get the AW in hand too as I am a person that loves a set AW.

Just judging strictly on lofts and now how far you hit them, the lofting makes sense with the PW at 46* and GW at 51*, which cuts the gap between your PW and SW right in half. Let us know how it plays out, I'm excited to get the AW in hand too as I am a person that loves a set AW.

I’ve gone this route as well.

9085b04287597ce1b5ad552657bb2dad.jpg

Good looking set, Pringles. Good fortune with it.

Mark Crossfield is currently in the middle of his reviews on the 919 range, and he kept referring to (and hitting) a "generic 919 Gap wedge", ie one that fits into all 3 919 sets.

Mark Crossfield is currently in the middle of his reviews on the 919 range, and he kept referring to (and hitting) a "generic 919 Gap wedge", ie one that fits into all 3 919 sets.

Yes, they do have a generic 919 gap and it is made from stainless steel, which is not as soft. I prefer to stick with the 919 Forged.

Yes, they do have a generic 919 gap and it is made from stainless steel, which is not as soft. I prefer to stick with the 919 Forged.

Understood - he didn't mention that, to be honest, so I wasn't sure if GW's were available in the 3 different models or not. Thks for clarifying.

Understood - he didn't mention that, to be honest, so I wasn't sure if GW's were available in the 3 different models or not. Thks for clarifying.

They're selling the 919 Forged and Hot Metals as 8 piece sets, 4-GW. The Tours, however, are 3-PW and do not have a set GW available. They do sell the "generic" GW and SW separately on their website whose lofts do fit with every set in the 919 line.

They're selling the 919 Forged and Hot Metals as 8 piece sets, 4-GW. The Tours, however, are 3-PW and do not have a set GW available. They do sell the "generic" GW and SW separately on their website whose lofts do fit with every set in the 919 line.

Are we getting 7 or 8 piece sets? At ultimate weekend o believe the set I played was only 4-pw not that I need a 3 iron haha.

Are we getting 7 or 8 piece sets? At ultimate weekend o believe the set I played was only 4-pw not that I need a 3 iron haha.

I'm getting the set GW whether it's sent or not, I will procure. It's possible you are getting the 3i that was withheld. I guess we will find out for sure in a little while.

9085b04287597ce1b5ad552657bb2dad.jpg

Is it me or do the soles look larger than I would expect for a "Tour" iron?
Either way, they look great, hope they work out for you.

They are a little bit larger and are quite forgiving for a tour iron. I am super excited to put them in play.

They are bigger than blades, but in hand they do not feel big at all. Helps with some forgiveness and aggression. Maybe a side by side to compare to another iron is necessary.

Back