Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Will Peoples did a reshaft - Accra i Series 80i - attractive setup with MCC+4 Grips with 2 wraps. My swingweights are D2 up to 7i, then D3 in 8-9i, and D4 in PW-Gap.

I demoed the Accra 70i about 6 yrs ago when my speed was slower and liked their lively action - since then, they've redesigned and changed cosmetics - I went up 10g to the 80i and went Regular Plus in flex.

Fitters are able to tip the shaft to flex. Apparently these taper shafts come with a long tip and the fitter tips to get the flex you want. And if I weren't so cheap, I would have upgraded the ferrules ... but forgot about 'em. As soon as it gets up to 40F with lighter wind, I'll give them a go.

Attachments

• 919F Accra i80 v2.jpg
    919F Accra i80 v2.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Will Peoples did a reshaft - Accra i Series 80i - attractive setup with MCC+4 Grips with 2 wraps. My swingweights are D2 up to 7i, then D3 in 8-9i, and D4 in PW-Gap.

I demoed the Accra 70i about 6 yrs ago when my speed was slower and liked their lively action - since then, they've redesigned and changed cosmetics - I went up 10g to the 80i and went Regular Plus in flex.

Fitters are able to tip the shaft to flex. Apparently these taper shafts come with a long tip and the fitter tips to get the flex you want. And if I weren't so cheap, I would have upgraded the ferrules ... but forgot about 'em. As soon as it gets up to 40F with lighter wind, I'll give them a go.

Well, it got up to a balmy 45F with a little wind. Range was damp BUT the sun made an appearance, and I hit these bad boys for 45 minutes. Everyone on the range was shucking sweaters. I've not hit a 7i with 150+ yds carry with beat- up range balls at 45F before - appears I did so today - higher trajectory than the PX LZ90. I call it a success. The lessons are also taking ... finally.

The Accra 80i offered a little more feel than PX. Dispersion is good. I think the difference is that I'm a tweener between stiff and regular - and the PX LZ 90 5.0 hardstepped were not stiff enough and the 6.0 softstepped were just not soft enough. I'll jump on the launch monitor next lesson and see what Trackman says.

Those look really good Desmond.

Just got fitted for the 919 forged last week super excited for the upcoming golf season I really think these will help me be more consistent and dial in my yardages and also love the looks of em! Great product line Mizuno!?

Just got fitted for the 919 forged last week super excited for the upcoming golf season I really think these will help me be more consistent and dial in my yardages and also love the looks of em! Great product line Mizuno!
Congrats on the purchase! What shafts you go with?

Just got fitted for the 919 forged last week super excited for the upcoming golf season I really think these will help me be more consistent and dial in my yardages and also love the looks of em! Great product line Mizuno!

Big time congratulations! Those are so good looking

Just got fitted for the 919 forged last week super excited for the upcoming golf season I really think these will help me be more consistent and dial in my yardages and also love the looks of em! Great product line Mizuno!��

That's great. Looking at your bag, you seem as obsessive as the rest of us, possibly moreso. Good luck! The 919F are excellent irons.

Info on the Hot Metal Pro is released.

I'm really looking forward to hitting a demo of these..

Last edited by a moderator:

Just saw the pictures, and they look good. Lofts are the same as the Hot Metal, just a bit of difference in offset and blade length. Good looking iron for sure.

I’m confused with all the irons Mizuno has out right now with the 4 different 919 irons and the 4 different mp18 irons. They all look good though.

Are these HM Pro's righty only?

Thanks Snickerdog.

Still waiting a response but have it out to several on Twitter. Hopefully our THP Team will be able to get the answer also.

I’m confused with all the irons Mizuno has out right now with the 4 different 919 irons and the 4 different mp18 irons. They all look good though.

Tour - not much forgiveness, open toe helps toe hits and stability, looks like a blade - pros to low capper, 1025 hd forged- very soft

Forged - forgiving, milled to thin out face through sole, open toe for forgiveness on toe hits, slightly thicker topline and sole for more forgiveness - low to mid cappers, 1025/boron hd forged, soft, surprising distance

Hot Metal - super forgiving, super ball speed, face cup tech, thicker topline, longer heel to toe, ribs for better sound - longer than forged, made from chromalloy, not soft, greatest distance - very impressive

HM Pro (as described by MIzuno) - as compared to HM, shorter heel to toe, face cup, thinner topline, less offset, not quite as much ballspeed as HM but great distance and forgiveness.

Tour - not much forgiveness, open toe helps toe hits and stability, looks like a blade - pros to low capper, 1025 hd forged- very soft

Forged - forgiving, milled to thin out face through sole, open toe for forgiveness on toe hits, slightly thicker topline and sole for more forgiveness - low to mid cappers, 1025/boron hd forged, soft, surprising distance

Hot Metal - super forgiving, super ball speed, face cup tech, thicker topline, longer heel to toe, ribs for better sound - longer than forged, made from chromalloy, not soft, greatest distance - very impressive

HM Pro (as described by MIzuno) - as compared to HM, shorter heel to toe, face cup, thinner topline, less offset, not quite as much ballspeed as HM but great distance and forgiveness.

Curious that the Mark Crossfield test showed no measurable difference between the Tour and Forged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I compared the 919 forged and I210 today. I hit both with the same S300 I've played for over 10 years. My 7 iron spin was low 4k with both at around 85 mph and 110 ball speed. The fitter changed the Ping to a AWT 2.0 and my spin went up to low to mid 5k.

I didn't realize the S300 clearly isn't for me! 1 shaft change made a drastic difference all around and it was eye opening. I've never been to a quality fitter but he seemed to know what he's doing and it felt more like a lesson. He didn't push me into anything and felt it would be better to schedule another session to try the 919 with a lighter shaft. He did say I need a larger grip especially in the bottom hand as I strangle the club and it caused a couple of blisters.

Curious that the Mark Crossfield test showed no measurable difference between the Tour and Forged.

It's Crossfield. What can I say other than he does not impress me and a lot of others. In fairness, I doubt he was fitted to the iron.

But if Mizuno mills out the face from the sole to thin it, make it more flexible, and then refill the sole - I think they would not go to all that trouble unless it produced distance. I'd like to think MIzuno knows what they're doing, and Crossfield ... bleh. Others report more distance as the iron gets more forgiving. Tour-Forged-HM

Last edited:
I compared the 919 forged and I210 today. I hit both with the same S300 I've played for over 10 years. My 7 iron spin was low 4k with both at around 85 mph and 110 ball speed. The fitter changed the Ping to a AWT 2.0 and my spin went up to low to mid 5k.

I didn't realize the S300 clearly isn't for me! 1 shaft change made a drastic difference all around and it was eye opening. I've never been to a quality fitter but he seemed to know what he's doing and it felt more like a lesson. He didn't push me into anything and felt it would be better to schedule another session to try the 919 with a lighter shaft. He did say I need a larger grip especially in the bottom hand as I strangle the club and it caused a couple of blisters.

My sim and outside experience with the i210 and 919F gave me an extra 10 yds of carry with the 919F. We're all different and your results may vary.

ac3116bcd2ac1fb71af0b2ba34b6d177.jpg
6abe03838cc8479194e377453c90e1e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless the camera does add 10 lbs to the Club Champion post above, the HMP looks a lot beefier than the 919F.

Unless the camera does add 10 lbs to the Club Champion post above, the HMP looks a lot beefier than the 919F.

I would think so. From all descriptions, it's a shorter heel to toe, less offset, thinner topline than the original HM . Still pretty thick on the sole - so chunkier, yes. Perfect 4i for me ... lol.

Ya I could see that working for a long iron replacement...

Back