Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Had a pretty good day with the Hot Metals. Green where super receptive today so ball where just hitting and sticking.

Has anyone made a combo set of HM/HM Pro and Forged? I have ordered 4-5 in HM Pro and 6-GW in Forged, but having second thoughts. Maybe I should have just gone all Forged. Reason I got Hot Metal was to give a little more distance to the low irons.

You're more likely to wish you went all Hot Metal imo. They are the stars of this lineup.

DataDude;n8875305 said:
You're more likely to wish you went all Hot Metal imo. They are the stars of this lineup.

It really depends on the person. I had a Mizuno fitting last week and the Forged easily beat the HMP's in all performance aspects. It was the complete Mizuno cart, so it was apples to apples with shafts, lie, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stolpioni;n8875301 said:
Has anyone made a combo set of HM/HM Pro and Forged? I have ordered 4-5 in HM Pro and 6-GW in Forged, but having second thoughts. Maybe I should have just gone all Forged. Reason I got Hot Metal was to give a little more distance to the low irons.

You should be fine with this combo set. The HMP's don't have the same offset as the regular Hot Metal's. At address the two heads look a lot alike - you probably won't get the same spin from the HMP's, but that could mean more distance from that head.

stolpioni;n8633305 said:
In what way are they better than the Forged and the regular Hot Metal respectively?

Audibly speaking, they are superior in my opinion. Definitely a bit bigger than I am normally used to playing, but they check a LOT of boxes on the spectrum including vibration, sound, and overall flight.

I did hit @JB's 919 Forged while in Florida and was impressed by them, but they didn't have that 'wow' factor that I've felt with the HMP's.

Canadan;n8875372 said:
Audibly speaking, they are superior in my opinion. Definitely a bit bigger than I am normally used to playing, but they check a LOT of boxes on the spectrum including vibration, sound, and overall flight.

I did hit @JB's 919 Forged while in Florida and was impressed by them, but they didn't have that 'wow' factor that I've felt with the HMP's.

Great feedback. This entire 919 lineup has been superb.

Canadan;n8875372 said:

This is really accurate. To me the HMP's really shine with the auditory/tactile feedback. They seem to sound great and feel great all over the face, where the forged almost sound a little clicky next to them. Performance wise the forged fit me better.

stolpioni;n8875301 said:

I didn't like the HMPro's in the scoring irons... I found a second hand set on ebay that fit my exact specs from the HMPro's and within the first round played landed me an even par 72 and two hole in ones in 13 days... honeymoon phase is STRONG

The new set is weird... 4 HM, 5-6 919 Forged, 7-PW Tour

I may get the 5-6-7 from my HMPro's reshafted to match the new set and bring those back in. The 5 and 6 iron HM pro's are insane... so long.

Played the 919 Forged the last few days and despite having matching lofts, these fly a bit shorter than the Apex 19 irons for me. In fact they had matching shafts too (Recoil Proto 95s).

About 5-7 yards and I routinely came up just a tiny bit short.

JB;n8879205 said:
Played the 919 Forged the last few days and despite having matching lofts, these fly a bit shorter than the Apex 19 irons for me. In fact they had matching shafts too (Recoil Proto 95s).

Spin numbers maybe a bit more optimal for you in CF19?

Canadan;n8879240 said:
Spin numbers maybe a bit more optimal for you in CF19?

Very possible and I also think the other set has some higher speeds around the face.

JB;n8879243 said:
Very possible and I also think the other set has some higher speeds around the face.

I wonder if HMP would close that gap a bit. I assume the lofts would be a lot more aggressive, though.

Had a full set of 919 forged for some time now. It's been up and down as I've had years worth of a layoff. Overall, I have been finding it much easier to hit the 4-5-6 irons than the 8-9-P. Turf interaction, flight, consistency, all of it.

Is that a me thing or would changing those low ones for HMPs or tours have a possible benefit?

Hot Metals treated me well today. Ball striking was good and no issues holding greens at all. Distances are really dialed in and have never noticed a flyer or hot shot off the face of these irons.

JB;n8879205 said:

Have you gotten both on your monitor for numbers? I wonder if you're getting a bit more backspin from the 919's?

Sooner21;n8879746 said:
Have you gotten both on your monitor for numbers? I wonder if you're getting a bit more backspin from the 919's?

That happens this week. Spin wasn’t that different originally and with bending probably similar. My impact was a tad toe side, and I just think the other side has a bit more speed retention around the face.

JB;n8879760 said:
That happens this week. Spin wasn’t that different originally and with bending probably similar. My impact was a tad toe side, and I just think the other side has a bit more speed retention around the face.

5-7 yards difference is pretty significant if lofts, shafts, length, etc all match up and spin numbers are similar.

Sooner21;n8879777 said:
5-7 yards difference is pretty significant if lofts, shafts, length, etc all match up and spin numbers are similar.

Agreed. I’d take that extra 5-7 every single day when both are in the same category.

Molten;n8879787 said:
Agreed. I’d take that extra 5-7 every single day when both are in the same category.

That is where I’m leaning. I think they are both stellar irons, but with my miss being toe side and using same shafts and lofts line up, I’m going to run it back with the others.

Good news means we will be giving this set away on THP soon.

JB;n8879801 said:
That is where I’m leaning. I think they are both stellar irons, but with my miss being toe side and using same shafts and lofts line up, I’m going to run it back with the others.

Good news means we will be giving this set away on THP soon.

Yeah, they are a pretty terrible set of irons...

When is the signup for that giveaway???? LOL!!!

DataDude;n8879839 said:
Yeah, they are a pretty terrible set of irons...

When is the signup for that giveaway???? LOL!!!

I definitely didn’t say that hahah.

Had a really good day with the Hot Metals today. We where playing on wet bent grass and had no issues with the irons getting stuck or getting down thru the ball. Generally not a fan of bent grass but was getting some wicked divots today.

Had these on course Sunday and shot 76. These irons are forgiving, and plenty long. It will be interesting to compare these to the Epic Forged.

Picked up my HMPs yesterday after getting the shafts installed--headed to the range shortly to give them a try.

Back