Srixon Z 785 Driver Review

All of that is precisely why I just can’t give up on it. It’s a bomber! I just have to get it dialed in for my game right now.

My man, you gotta get the big stick straightened out!!! Start just hitting s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My man, you gotta get the big stick straightened out!!! Start just hitting s

I know man! Everything else has been phenomenal, just need to be in the short grass more often and I could be playing some solid golf. Kind of the story of my life though...but the lefts are new.

I FOUND IT TODAY!!! After a little tinkering on the range and some tuning out on the course I found a setup that tamed my hook. Which is by no means an indictment of this driver, that’s just the swing I’m working with right now. It’s one of those things where it’s predictable and consistent, but just not perfect for the stock setting of this driver. However the ballspeed and distance I’ve seen at times have made it worth the effort.

I started out on the range with the lead tape out on the toe and toward the back like the pic above with the hosel set at stated loft and open. I saw some promise out on the range so I took it to the course to try to hit some fairways and I did...but it was still a fairly good sized draw and not quite as much height as I’d like to see. So I tried lofting it up a degree which gave me the height I wanted but it also closed the face a bit more and it just didn’t inspire the confidence I was looking for over the ball and the big draw was still there.

From there I decided to start almost from scratch. Set the hosel completely neutral and put the 8g weight back in the sole along with the lead tape. I really did feel like I was swinging a hammer, the swing weight has to be up there. But I think this kept my hands out in front of the club head and I was seeing a nice tight draw with a medium height penetrating ball flight. It also got it where I could hold off the club face and hit a FADE!!! The last 2 holes I hit driver on were bombs! One was in the 280 yard total distance range and the last was just a little over 300! This is a setup I think I can roll with for a while now:)

Mine just showed up on my front porch today. I couldn't pass up on a great deal on one, especially after seeing all the positive results here. I've been playing the Z545 for a couple of years, and I like it just fine, but I'm hoping for a little more heat out of this new one. It certainly looks stunning. Can't wait to hit it tomorrow. I know I maybe should get it on the range first to wring it out, but I'm sticking it in the bag for an 8 o'clock tee time tomorrow morning. I'll only get a few swings before the round, surely not enough to get it dialed in, but I don't care. I'm geeked up for it!

Small update, got the new configuration out for another round and it was pretty solid again. Had some really nice drives, hit some fades when I needed to and played a nice tight draw for the most part.

I did have a couple that I caught out on the toe that went a little further left than I liked. One was a high toe strike that wasn’t quite as severe that traveled from the right side of the fairway all the way to the left and ended up in the rough. The others was more on the equator but out on the toe and that one snapped off on me and went way further left than I wanted.

Overall I would say you can travel around the face on this driver and have some pretty solid results. The whole center of the face from top to bottom is solid, the heel and in particular the low heel is really good, but out on the toe it gets a little penal. Not so much with the ball speed and distance, but dispersion has suffered for me. Which is something I really need to keep in mind during my rounds. I’ve always played to miss out on the toe because I played a fade and that gear effect would give me a little playable push draw. So now that I’m hitting more of a draw that toe strike doesn’t play as well...which is on me.

Enjoyed that. So the Frankenstein weighting going to stick?

Enjoyed that. So the Frankenstein weighting going to stick?

Yup! I’m rolling with it. It’s holding that toe open just enough:)

I got mine out on the course for a couple of rounds, and just a few balls on the range. I'm still not quite dialed into the feel of it, and the sound is vastly different than my Z545. It goes though! I hit a few heel, ugly things with my poor mechanics, and they really went a lot further than I thought they would. I hit a few flush, and thought the sound was that of a poorly struck ball, but they did go, and they did go far. The trajectory looked like more of a parabolic arc where my old driver seemed to be more of a line drive hitter. I'm not bothered by that as long as it keeps going to far away places. I'm still needing to take some real time on the range with it and get it really figured out, but so far I'm liking the results. I'll get used to the sound difference with a little more time. I'm not displeased by the sound, it's just different than what I'm accustomed to, so that audible feedback is of little use until I get some more time behind the wheel with it. It seems that I'm a little more prone to a straight pull with this shaft, but that will come around, I'm sure. I haven't messed with any adjustments yet, so there's probably some help there waiting for me.

All in all, it looks great, and I think it's going to be a bomber once I get my relationship with it firmly established.

I hit this twice since the tragic maiden voyage and no big surprise it is a great club when I put a good swing on it. The first time I hit it was awful, I was heading to a lesson when I realized I had not hit balls since my last lesson. I decided to hit a bucket of balls on the way, I was in tennis shoes and forgot to bring a hat because my lessons are indoors. It was hot and humid with a soggy range where a good strike sends mud in your face. I was hitting everything terrible so I grabbed the Z785 and hit it even worse.

That scared me a little bit so I have not been hitting it at all lately. At the end of my lesson yesterday I was carrying my EXS 250-260 with total distance in the 275-285 range on the trackman. I grabbed the Z785 and immediately saw 5-10 yard increase with the same swing speed and the shot shape was the same but lower. The Hzrdus black and 9.5 degree head was a touch low launch but that would be a killer windy day setup for me.

I went to the driving range this morning and split time with the Z785 and EXS. The lower flight was noticeable this morning in comparison so I should probably loft it up to 10.5. I was hitting both pretty well but I have more confidence with the EXS at this time. I will take the Z785 with me and be sure to hit it on the trackman to see if the distance gains warrant putting it in play. At least I am not scared of it anymore and I learned a lesson, If you are swinging like garbage you should not try a new club that day. Wait until you are hitting it well and then throw the new stick into the mix.

Last edited:
Driver back in the groove today, 12/14 fairways hit and the misses were no more than 3 yards off fairway. Just blown away how good this driver is and keeps performing for me. I’m so confident with it, there’s no hesitation to pull it any time.

This is going in the bag for a round tomorrow. Good things happen with this driver when I swing it aggressively. The Hzrdus Black does not tolerate half assed swings.

Played the last 4 days and I can’t express enough how awesome this driver (Z785) performs. I played with another chap today who is almost 25 years my junior and has a fitted Epic Flash and drives it a mile. I would say over 18 holes in terms of driving distance he got me 3 out 5 times but I would say my dispersion was better 4 out of 5 times. I’ve said it before, when you go to get fitted, don’t overlook Srixon, it’s a solid driver.

Played my first round with this driver yesterday and the results were very positive. My nemesis pull happened twice but I also hit a couple bombs. Very long and straight on well struck shots. I hit a few off center and the results were shorter but acceptable. I still have more confidence in my TEE EXS but this one is staying in the bag for a minute.

I had the Hzrdus black in my first Z785 Driver. It was definitely not for me. The Aldila Rogue Silver is a much better fit for my swing. That combo makes this driver as long and straight as anything I have tried. With the PX Black, the later in the round the more I would lose it right.

I had the Hzrdus black in my first Z785 Driver. It was definitely not for me. The Aldila Rogue Silver is a much better fit for my swing. That combo makes this driver as long and straight as anything I have tried. With the PX Black, the later in the round the more I would lose it right.

That is exactly what I told my playing partner yesterday, that I have to commit to a full swing with the Hzrdus black or its banana ball city. I noticed on the range that if I quit on the swing or try to take a little off it will go right. I think it can sense fear.

That is exactly what I told my playing partner yesterday, that I have to commit to a full swing with the Hzrdus black or its banana ball city. I noticed on the range that if I quit on the swing or try to take a little off it will go right. I think it can sense fear.

Ha ha. You are right. It senses fear and I can almost feel an evil smile.

Played my first round with this driver yesterday and the results were very positive. My nemesis pull happened twice but I also hit a couple bombs. Very long and straight on well struck shots. I hit a few off center and the results were shorter but acceptable. I still have more confidence in my TEE EXS but this one is staying in the bag for a minute.

You hit this one pretty well yesterday. A couple of lazy swings and you saw those results, but for the most part straight and with a penetrating ball flight. I still think the HZRDUS Black might not be the best pairing for you, but it works for now.

I’d like to see how an Even Flow Black or maybe a UST Platinum paired with this head works out.

So the Frankenstein weighting on my 785 has still been a bit of a mixed bag to be honest. It’s eliminated most of the bad snap hooks, but it’s also opened the door for the occasional big right...but it has been nice to be able to hit a fade when needed. I still see the potential for a monster, I just haven’t been able to reign it in yet.

I did get my hands on another current release driver to do a head to head comparison for anyone who is interested, a Taylormade M5 that I’ve paired with a UST Mamiya LINQ shaft, which I’m guessing is a pretty similar profile to the Tensei Pro Orange I have in my 785. So far I’d say the biggest difference is on the toe strikes, which is why I wanted to try out the Twistface on the M5. The 785 does have a much more powerful sound and a more solid feel than the M5 and I would give the heel strike edge to the 785 so far. This is gonna be an ongoing bag battle for some time as I’ve hit some big drives with both and of course hit some terrible drives with both. But it’s gonna be a lot of fun. I’ll definitely have more thoughts on this battle over the coming weeks or months, I’m definitely not ready to name a winner yet.

You all have me so interested in buying one just can’t decide which one. I’ve always like a bonded club like the 585 and high launch. Ive been reading all the articles and both drivers can find good buys on both 785 sounds like a low spin driver. Can you all compare any driver that’s out or in the past to these two. Playing a G400’s max now and tried almost all of them through the years thanks

You all have me so interested in buying one just can’t decide which one. I’ve always like a bonded club like the 585 and high launch. Ive been reading all the articles and both drivers can find good buys on both 785 sounds like a low spin driver. Can you all compare any driver that’s out or in the past to these two. Playing a G400’s max now and tried almost all of them through the years thanks

The 585 is a little more forgiving that the 785 and both launched pretty similar for me. Previous played the King F8 and a Callaway Rogue. Both of those were solid but I wasn’t very accurate with them hitting roughly 50% of fairways and had a ton of spin coming off them for me. Since I began hitting the 785 my % has gone up huge to 78% with my distance at least the same if not further than the other 2.

cc38d7afd07749cd50fc76e0b52f02bb.jpg

Check this out....

Srixon Z 585 vs Z 785 Driver Comparison
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...com/forum/showpost.php?p=5970819&share_type=t

The Z-785 driver has won an uphill battle to take the spot in my bag. I am glad that I stuck with it because the results are worth the effort. I played a Wilson Triton for most of 2018 and the first few months of 2019. That driver was long but unforgiving and set up very closed. I fight a pull hook so I started looking for a replacement. I have been using a TEE EXS and that driver has been very forgiving but I lost some yardage using that club. Not a ton of yards lost but I was still searching for something better. The Z-785 showed promise on the trackman right from the start with ball speeds better than anything I had hit previously. The stock HZRDUS Black launched too low for me so I began the search for a different shaft.

Danimal had recommended the Aldila Rogue Silver 130 MSI previously in this thread and baylrballa had one in the marketplace so a swap was made and I installed it in the Z-785 head. I played a round with it and was pleased with the launch angle and the distance jumped about 10 yards even on not so perfect shots. I got on the trackman with it and the results were great. Launch angle in the 11-12 degree range and ball speed of 155. My coach worked me through my whole bag from wedges through driver and I ended the session with three perfect drives that carried 260 and rolled out to 290.

After that lesson I played another round brimming with confidence. The third hole was the first I pulled driver and I was ready to stripe one down the middle. When I last saw that ball it was headed into the trees at 45 degree angle from a huge slice. I laughed it off and ended up hitting two bombs with it later in the round. I have decided to keep it in play because it is not any less forgiving than anything else I have tried but the ball speed and distance I am seeing gives it an advantage.

Another trackman session and a rained out round show this driver is working well for me. At my lesson this week I played eighteen holes on the simulator at Barton Creek while my instructor looked on. I POUNDED this driver during the round, first tee shot was a downhill 300 yarder. Carry 260 with 290 total was what I was seeing. I shot 68 on that simulated round and felt on top of the world. I wanted to get some trackman numbers for review so I switched bays and hit ten shots that I was saving in an excel file. I am guessing I was tired because my ball speed was way down and I had a fade/slice appear out of nowhere. I scrapped the idea after it was apparent my swing was not coming back.

I played a round the next day and the first tee shot I hit an unexpected fade. Everything felt fine so I just went with it on the next driver hole. This hole has a wide fairway so I set up down the middle and sure enough it started dead straight with a gentle fade. A terrible kick put me in the trees to the right but it would have been fairway if not for the bounce. The next two holes I sat up down the left side and put two in the fairway, I measured the last drive with my gps and it went 286 yards on a flat hole with no wind. The skies opened up on the next hole so I called it a day after seven holes.

The driver is my most inconsistent club and I struggle with a pull hook. I am hoping this fade is here to stay because my draws are inconsistent and the low hot ball flight does not find fairways. I could not be more pleased with the Z-785 driver, I am going to do the trackman session early in my lesson next week to get some numbers before I get physically and mentally tired.

Ive got an adapter on the way to put the new UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Tour 7F4 in the 785 driver. Tested the shaft with another head a week or so ago and had great feel with the shaft, hopefully its just as solid if not better than the current shaft in there. Last time I "tinkered" with a club it didnt go so well, hopefully some more great results with this awesome driver.

Back