Srixon Z 585 Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was waiting for this read. Bravo James. Doesn’t get any more thorough than what you have done with this driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review!!!! This driver looks better than any of them!!!

I've never hit a Srixon driver but this one is intriguing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Going to hit this and the 785 today

Very good review James. A beautiful club that appears very capable of delivering the goods. Unfortunately the improper shaft for the writers swing speed prevented the readers from seeing how well this driver will perform based on its delivered setup.
I’m sure THP has no say in the setup of equipment it receives/reviews. As an individual with a slower swing speed (@85), I would have been very interested in the opinions/data results using a golfer with a swing speed appropriate for a 5.5 shaft.
Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was waiting for this read. Bravo James. Doesn’t get any more thorough than what you have done with this driver.

Thank you! That means a whole lot more than you know, I really enjoyed how this one turned out.

Very good review James. A beautiful club that appears very capable of delivering the goods. Unfortunately the improper shaft for the writers swing speed prevented the readers from seeing how well this driver will perform based on its delivered setup.
I’m sure THP has no say in the setup of equipment it receives/reviews. As an individual with a slower swing speed (@85), I would have been very interested in the opinions/data results using a golfer with a swing speed appropriate for a 5.5 shaft.
Just a suggestion.

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate them.

Sometimes this happens, and IMO, its not that big of a deal because its our job as writers to disseminate the information to you all as to what is the baseline performance of the head, and what is fitting induced. The nice thing is we always have the ability to make changes to the setup (and I did and have, which I'll get to in a minute), during the review I documented in the original thread the changes that occured with the shaft being moved to a better fit. But, IMO, it has always been proper to write the review based on the setup received whether it fits me or not, because frankly I don't care if a club fits me in a review, I just care about the information I can get to you all on if it does what the company claims, ya know?

Now, to the club, I have altered the shaft three times now and it really unlocked the head performance for me. To the point I put up a photo of a GC2 screen yesterday with 164 MPH ball speed, 11* launch, and 2200 RPM of spin in the most recent setup. That journey has been trial and error for me (UST Helium, TPT 15 LPK, and now ACCRA FX 2.0) and if I had discussed it in the review I fear it would have overshadowed the traits of the club itself.

I'm going to update some more because during review I knew and discussed often that the potential was there, but going after my gamer (G400 Max) which is/was the most comfortable and consistent driver I've ever owned is a BIG mountain to climb and would take time, or maybe never happen. So, I have been tinkering and working, and the ADDICTIVE feel/sound of the 585 combined with it being the only other driver I have hit the last year to get the ball speeds I've seen out of the G400 Max, and then some (I hit 166 the other day with it, a record for me on monitor) is making it a distinct possibility.

This completely has a chance at the bag. And now that the main review is up, I can really document that journey in here as well!

Thank you for reading!

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate them.

Sometimes this happens, and IMO, its not that big of a deal because its our job as writers to disseminate the information to you all as to what is the baseline performance of the head, and what is fitting induced. The nice thing is we always have the ability to make changes to the setup (and I did and have, which I'll get to in a minute), during the review I documented in the original thread the changes that occured with the shaft being moved to a better fit. But, IMO, it has always been proper to write the review based on the setup received whether it fits me or not, because frankly I don't care if a club fits me in a review, I just care about the information I can get to you all on if it does what the company claims, ya know?

Now, to the club, I have altered the shaft three times now and it really unlocked the head performance for me. To the point I put up a photo of a GC2 screen yesterday with 164 MPH ball speed, 11* launch, and 2200 RPM of spin in the most recent setup. That journey has been trial and error for me (UST Helium, TPT 15 LPK, and now ACCRA FX 2.0) and if I had discussed it in the review I fear it would have overshadowed the traits of the club itself.

I'm going to update some more because during review I knew and discussed often that the potential was there, but going after my gamer (G400 Max) which is/was the most comfortable and consistent driver I've ever owned is a BIG mountain to climb and would take time, or maybe never happen. So, I have been tinkering and working, and the ADDICTIVE feel/sound of the 585 combined with it being the only other driver I have hit the last year to get the ball speeds I've seen out of the G400 Max, and then some (I hit 166 the other day with it, a record for me on monitor) is making it a distinct possibility.

This completely has a chance at the bag. And now that the main review is up, I can really document that journey in here as well!

Thank you for reading!

Now that is thorough. Great stuff, James. I’m stoked to hit this and will be following along closely to your thoughts as it seems we like similar shafts!

You've really got me thinking about 585 over 785 now. I fall into that trap of wanting the adjustable driver, but you're right. I rarely ever make changes to my settings. Might make more sense to spend less and get just as much.

Still waiting to see your 585 vs 785 comparison though. Given your latest results we'll probably see something ridiculous like a 300 yd carry distance or something :)

James. Appreciate the response. I look forward to your digging deep updates.

James. Appreciate the response. I look forward to your digging deep updates.

Thank you good sir! I plan on an update here later today for sure. Its funny, because the 565 was so hyped and I always wanted to try it, but reviewing the ULTRA low spin 765 scared me away, this 585 makes me regret not trying its predecessor now.

I've got some time now, so I want to expand on my little journey with this head.

First, kudos to Srixon for building a driver that comes in stock at a D4 swing weight, I love that. Also, I think the move to include HZRDUS as the stock option (and the availability of HC versions for no up is awesome, even if they are the same shafts design wise as the non HC) was a good one, though I'm surprised we didn't see Evenflow since its the most trendy name right now.

That said, the 5.5 flex did cause some issues which are highlighted in the Foresight GC2 launch monitor data in the article, but since then I have been tinkering a lot with the setup and I have seen particularly the dispersion #'s fall away into consistency. The Helium was an OK fit, but the shaft just isn't the best for me/my-swing, the TPT 15 LKP actually ended up WAY lower launching than I anticipated and that shocked me (struggled to hit the head into the 10's), so the flier on the ACCRA FX 2.0 270 (classed as a mid-launch shaft in the FX 2.0 lineup) in M5 (X) was more me wanting to try an ACCRA desperately, but man it has worked out.

I don't have my iPad on me at the moment at work to post the #'s but the other day I averaged (12 shot session) 161 MPH ballspeed, 10.9* launch, 2721 RPM, and 33 yard peak height. In a subsequent session the highest ballspeed I have reached, ever, on the GC2 was hit at 166 with several others in the session coming in at 163+, more in a single session than I have seen with the G400 Max. Now, part of that is clearly getting comfortable, and i have hit drivers which put up a high ballspeed here and there for me, but the CONSISTENCY here has been what has made me keep tinkering.

The current setup does have 4g of hotmelt added to the head (middle, neutral) by me and the feel/sound is even more addicting now. I love the sound/feel of my G400's, but they just scream SOLID, this is solid AND it feels like the ball just jumps hot. It's been a trip for me.

More soon, but I though this might be a decent discussion/addition.

I averaged (12 shot session) 161 MPH ballspeed, 10.9* launch, 2721 RPM, and 33 yard peak height

those numbers are nsfw. #golfdatap0rn

Nicely done James. Love the look of it, and that you were open about perhaps the fit not being the best shaft wise. Even with that, the data you provided looks pretty damn good, and I know it has improved with some tinkering. Scary to think you go off of those numbers, make some tweaks, and boom, you have a rocket launcher on your hands.

Nicely done James. Love the look of it, and that you were open about perhaps the fit not being the best shaft wise. Even with that, the data you provided looks pretty damn good, and I know it has improved with some tinkering. Scary to think you go off of those numbers, make some tweaks, and boom, you have a rocket launcher on your hands.

the writing is on the wall, the max might have just lost it's spot in james' bag I think.

You've really got me thinking about 585 over 785 now. I fall into that trap of wanting the adjustable driver, but you're right. I rarely ever make changes to my settings. Might make more sense to spend less and get just as much.

Still waiting to see your 585 vs 785 comparison though. Given your latest results we'll probably see something ridiculous like a 300 yd carry distance or something :)

I mean, I've traditionally been in the same mindset as you, give me the adjustability. But, reviews like this one and the new B'stone JGR make me stop and think about it, and I really don't change much there overall. I'm still going to be super insterested to see if we begin a trend of everyone having the adjustable option being their top-line pricing, and offering fixed as their next tier. My fear is some will think its a knock on performance, when it really isn't.

I think I coerced @Canadan to send the 785 this way for a while, the trick will be that I want to try it with the same shaft setup. But, I'm sure I can find a way. LOL

Honestly, I expect the 785 to be too low launching for me, I can create a lot of speed and lower spin as a player, but I'm also banished to low launch land.

Thanks Deano, its surprised me. I went through phases of excited, kinda bummed, curious, excited again, and now a bit hesitant to TRULY gush on what I THINK I might have found.

the writing is on the wall, the max might have just lost it's spot in james' bag I think.

Going to try to go straight up head-to-head today or tomorrow with the two on the GC2 if I can get the time/space on the course as I want to use real golf balls and not range rocks.

Going to try to go straight up head-to-head today or tomorrow with the two on the GC2 if I can get the time/space on the course as I want to use real golf balls and not range rocks.

two show up but only one stays. On course with real golf balls and pressure is the only way to get the right answer. Have fun with it man.

two show up but only one stays. On course with real golf balls and pressure is the only way to get the right answer. Have fun with it man.

Yessir, its where I've gotten all my data that has been in all of my recent reviews except the JGR line because of the freaking monsoon week and a half we had lol. Shag bag of 40 B330-S's and go to town.

Yessir, its where I've gotten all my data that has been in all of my recent reviews except the JGR line because of the freaking monsoon week and a half we had lol. Shag bag of 40 B330-S's and go to town.

Going to sound like Mark Crossfield here, but I love the real ball data. Being able to record these with real gamer balls vs range balls is a much better indication of the performance.

Going to sound like Mark Crossfield here, but I love the real ball data. Being able to record these with real gamer balls vs range balls is a much better indication of the performance.

Agree, and its why I hated having to do that in the JGR thread, which I will probably soon go back and update now that I think about it.

Agree, and its why I hated having to do that in the JGR thread, which I will probably soon go back and update now that I think about it.

some times the testing environment is not conducive. Hello winter in NY haha I need to find a heated garage bit enough to swing in

this x100. Love seeing the numbers you guys post for us tinkers. Just helps drive the urge to tinker more.

Back