Srixon Z 585 Driver Review

A couple years ago, the draw bias would have been very welcome, but now I am not so sure

I need to see if the club where I was fitted for my Srixon irons has these in so I can try and hit them and compare to my Cally GBB, but based on your teases up to now I suspect I might be leaning towards the 785

FWIW, I don't fins the 785 all that draw biased, very neutral, but, it definitely sets up a touch closed visually.

585 is definitely more draw biased, so there is more right to left ease there for many, which I know would be a big factor (pro or con) for many.

Overall though, much like I saw with the 585 in the time I reviewed it and since with all the shaft tinkering I've done, they're some of the more accurate heads I've hit this year, and the 785 is much more playable on misses than I anticipated. Its been very interesting so far with an apples to apples comparison (same shaft, build, etc) and I really want to get out for another full session with real golf balls to see if the data trend remains the same. Hopefully I can do that today or tomorrow

Appreciate your desire to get us the best info. Maybe you can get out today and tomorrow.

FWIW, I don't fins the 785 all that draw biased, very neutral, but, it definitely sets up a touch closed visually.

The fact that it sets up closed visually isn't something that would bother me, and if I find it is as neutral as you suggest then the 785 would very likely be the route I would go if I was to put one in my bag

Appreciate your desire to get us the best info. Maybe you can get out today and tomorrow.

Raining at the moment, which I'm not a fan of getting the GC2 out in (read: no way no how, LOL!), but it may clear off.

Stunned at how close the numbers between this and the 785 have been. Def more draw bias here, but the 785 sets up slightly closed too which shocked me (in a good way for me, but for others maybe not). Spin has this far been within 200-300 rpm and launch less than half a degree. Not what I expected.

Jman, any thoughts on how these 2 compare to the new Tour B JGR?
Since they are both come from Japanese based companies, I'm interested how they might be similar/different.

Jman, any thoughts on how these 2 compare to the new Tour B JGR?
Since they are both come from Japanese based companies, I'm interested how they might be similar/different.

JGR will launch much higher, spin on that one will surprise people though, it's not as high as some will assume, after changing the shaft I've been mid 2k in it pretty consistently.

Sound/Feel though, the Srixon's by a MASSSSSSSIIIIIVVVVVVVE margin.

JGR will launch much higher, spin on that one will surprise people though, it's not as high as some will assume, after changing the shaft I've been mid 2k in it pretty consistently.

Sound/Feel though, the Srixon's by a MASSSSSSSIIIIIVVVVVVVE margin.

can you compare the sound/feel with the Cleveland HB launcher?

Never hit the launcher, sorry. Given the amount of carbon fiber in the 585/785 compared to the HB though, its going to be a much more muted/solid impact.

(I actually stand by my description of it being intoxicating at impact)

I can, it is much more of a solid thwack compared to what I think is more of a ting with the HB launcher. The flight is lower for me at the same loft, but part of that could be shaft pairing.

The guys at Plugged in Golf had the same findings.. He hit the 585 slightly lower and had 100-200 rpm lower with the 585 vs the 785. Even with a Hzrdus red in the 585 vs the Black in the 785! Even for me, when I had he 785 with a HZRDUS Black it spun higher than my M1 with HZRDUS Red.

Stunned at how close the numbers between this and the 785 have been. Def more draw bias here, but the 785 sets up slightly closed too which shocked me (in a good way for me, but for others maybe not). Spin has this far been within 200-300 rpm and launch less than half a degree. Not what I expected.

The guys at Plugged in Golf had the same findings.. He hit the 585 slightly lower and had 100-200 rpm lower with the 585 vs the 785. Even with a Hzrdus red in the 585 vs the Black in the 785! Even for me, when I had he 785 with a HZRDUS Black it spun higher than my M1 with HZRDUS Red.

This needs a bump after today!

Review link is in the Op!

I guess we know Shane Lowry's driver passed inspection.

If you are on Instagram, we will be giving one of these away starting tomorrow, in honor of the big win.

If you are on Instagram, we will be giving one of these away starting tomorrow, in honor of the big win.

Nice!!

How did this Z585 thread go silent for 9 months? Talk about under the radar...

I won the Z585 here on THP in the Srixon Shane Lowry Open Champion giveaway. I used it Saturday at the annual New England gathering, and came away super impressed. I have the 9.5 degree with stock HZRDUS Red shaft in 6.5 flex.

I was immediately comfortable on the range before the round. I connected on the first swing and sent a mid-high draw pleasantly near target. The next four swings yielded similar results, and I was noting ease of launch, a nice-medium high flight but still flat and projecting forward. Someone lasered the range landing area and carry was not lacking. Happy with five consistent shots, I took the club on course for the day.

During the round I hit it another 4-5 times, a couple of which were absolutely smoked. A couple of THP'ers bore witness. I was quite impressed with the height and ball flight... and powerful sound. An overall impression I came away from the range with was that it is a very easy club to hit well, and I carried that confidence on course as was rewarded as long as my swing held up.

I will be playing more rounds and hopefully hopping on a launch monitor to get some numbers on what is happening for me. At current I'd say the HZRDUS Red is turning out to be a pretty nice experiment into a more mid/mid profile from my usual low/low. The 9.5 loft seems to have been to correct choice as I certainly am not hitting the ball too low. Spin seems to be in a window that is generating pretty respectable carry. Lots of reasons to continue playing this for now.

I'll say again, I'm amazed this thread went dark from release date until now. Solid driver here.

GraniteRoost;n8882397 said:
I won the Z585 here on THP in the Srixon Shane Lowry Open Champion giveaway. I used it Saturday at the annual New England gathering, and came away super impressed. I have the 9.5 degree with stock HZRDUS Red shaft in 6.5 flex.

I was immediately comfortable on the range before the round. I connected on the first swing and sent a mid-high draw pleasantly near target. The next four swings yielded similar results, and I was noting ease of launch, a nice-medium high flight but still flat and projecting forward. Someone lasered the range landing area and carry was not lacking. Happy with five consistent shots, I took the club on course for the day.

During the round I hit it another 4-5 times, a couple of which were absolutely smoked. A couple of THP'ers bore witness. I was quite impressed with the height and ball flight... and powerful sound. An overall impression I came away from the range with was that it is a very easy club to hit well, and I carried that confidence on course as was rewarded as long as my swing held up.

I will be playing more rounds and hopefully hopping on a launch monitor to get some numbers on what is happening for me. At current I'd say the HZRDUS Red is turning out to be a pretty nice experiment into a more mid/mid profile from my usual low/low. The 9.5 loft seems to have been to correct choice as I certainly am not hitting the ball too low. Spin seems to be in a window that is generating pretty respectable carry. Lots of reasons to continue playing this for now.

I'll say again, I'm amazed this thread went dark from release date until now. Solid driver here.

So glad you like it. I think their line of woods was very underrated this year.

I have hit mine pretty well this year. When I got fit for a driver, I was not expecting this to be the winner, but it's solid!

There's a pretty cool 585 v 785 thread that had some traction for a bit, but I'm biased there, haha

This one is still the highest ball speed I've recorded on any driver for me, ever.

I was a witness to those smoked ones during the THP round Saturday, nice job Rooster.

Second round played this afternoon with the Z585, and I am still hitting it very well and with confidence. After more time with it I am really impressed by the feel off the face, it is hot and solid off the center. Very pleasant tone.

This driver may have unseated the F9 today. On course performance... no hard numbers but I played today and saw some damn impressive ball flights and just painted a few of them. Very easy to maintain directional control, and great feel/sound. I have been alternating rounds the last few weeks with these two and on course confidence I think the Srixon may be winning. I have a shaft tinker or two I wanna try with the F9 though.

I am continuing to play and enjoy the Z585. It still inspires a lot of confidence as it is an easy club for me to keep in play, launches great, and has a very pleasant overall sound and feel. The triangulated head shape is slightly noticeable but not a deal breaker, and the classy metallic black and carbon finish "hides" any objections I might have had to the shape. The HZRDUS Red is a a good shaft for this head, the combo seems to play together really well.

I am continuing to play and enjoy the Z585. It still inspires a lot of confidence as it is an easy club for me to keep in play, launches great, and has a very pleasant overall sound and feel. The triangulated head shape is slightly noticeable but not a deal breaker, and the classy metallic black and carbon finish "hides" any objections I might have had to the shape. The HZRDUS Red is a a good shaft for this head, the combo seems to play together really well.
Yep, if you can get used to the shape, its a great driver.

Though I'm still surprised at how close data wise the two heads (585 and 785) are.

Back