TaylorMade P760 Irons

Any particular reason the 7i was chosen as the first iron with Speedfoam in the cavity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Educated guess based on what I’ve learned in the past: ball goes too far or they wanted fewer of the speed foam benefits in the scoring clubs.

Educated guess based on what I’ve learned in the past: ball goes too far or they wanted fewer of the speed foam benefits in the scoring clubs.

It’s really about where most people split a set.

It could be. I don’t think they are the best looking irons I have ever seen, but so much feedback is saying “ugly” that it honestly through me for a loop.

I was thinking about these more today and I wouldn't really call them ugly but they seem like a step back from the 770 in my opinion. I was a big fan of the looks of those though and I know some weren't.

regarding the "grill" lines, I don't recall many having that complaint when it came to the 750 and 770, or for that matter the Callaway X Forged and to a lesser extent the Cobra F7

regarding the "grill" lines, I don't recall many having that complaint when it came to the 750 and 770, or for that matter the Callaway X Forged and to a lesser extent the Cobra F7

IMO (and I like these), those examples are going to look more finished to most, Henry the no complaints.

I really do like the way they created the set, a little more help in the 3 to 7 irons with the speed foam and 8 to PW in the forged irons. It is exactly how I would split a combo set, I would love to play an MB club like the P730 just love the look and feel but alas my game is not good enough for that, but with this set up maybe.. I still like the P790's but they just don't feel as good as a true forged iron. To bad I have spent my golf budget for the next 5 years already...

I really do like the way they created the set, a little more help in the 3 to 7 irons with the speed foam and 8 to PW in the forged irons. It is exactly how I would split a combo set, I would love to play an MB club like the P730 just love the look and feel but alas my game is not good enough for that, but with this set up maybe.. I still like the P790's but they just don't feel as good as a true forged iron. To bad I have spent my golf budget for the next 5 years already...

I agree with you. It's funny, one of the most highly-regarded sets of irons since 2016 has been the Apex CF16 irons, and they only put the cupface technology in the 3-7 irons in that set. I don't think I heard much negativity when that set came out that all of the irons didn't have the cupface. I think that TM basically did a similar version, except in a smaller package than those irons.

Looks quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I actually think they look really good.

Had the 6i in hand last night and I am not entirely sold on the design of the back of the club, although you don't see it at address so not sure why it should bother me

Putting it down next to my Z545 6i I was a little surprised to find that visually from heel to toe, the length of the blade looks to be very very similar, with the topline looking a bit slimmer than the Z545 - I don't know why but I thought it would have been a smaller, more compact head?

The last TM iron that I hit was the Speedblade and to be honest I actually quite liked the feel of those, so if these have a similar type of feel I could probably get used to them

I didn't hit it as the shaft that was in didn't feel right to me (think it was a DG shaft if I remember right) and I was tired after my lesson

I would be very curious to try these; really like the tech and thought behind this set. But what would REALLY excite me - this same concept but executed in a little larger package. Say the next iteration of the P790s...

Had the 6i in hand last night and I am not entirely sold on the design of the back of the club, although you don't see it at address so not sure why it should bother me

Putting it down next to my Z545 6i I was a little surprised to find that visually from heel to toe, the length of the blade looks to be very very similar, with the topline looking a bit slimmer than the Z545 - I don't know why but I thought it would have been a smaller, more compact head?

The last TM iron that I hit was the Speedblade and to be honest I actually quite liked the feel of those, so if these have a similar type of feel I could probably get used to them

I didn't hit it as the shaft that was in didn't feel right to me (think it was a DG shaft if I remember right) and I was tired after my lesson

I hit these today and and I was pleasantly surprised how good they looked from address. I thought the blade length was small. I put them up next to the P750 which are practically a blade and they were a fraction bigger with a thicker top line and sole. I wouldn't categorize them anywhere near a Srixon 545 or consider them game improvement. The balls I hit with the 7 iron felt great. I think it will be a winner just wish they looked a bit sleeker but to be honest the look is growing on me.

So I just got a full set in from my club pro, still in plastic.

They look fine. I thought the pictures looked like crap - really they are fine.

But the profile is way different than the 790's...if you like a slimmer top line and smaller sole, absolutely these could be a winner for you. Having seen the profile I may just stick 790 as I spin them fine and my only real issue with them was the gap between 6 and 7, may just bend them until I resolve that issue. Past that, I think I like a chunkier profile, so right now they stay in plastic and I may just pass them along to someone else. Very nice looking but probably not for me even with the performance I bet they give.

Having hit and played these - these really are an interesting offering. Very similar to the z765 in feel, though these definitely feel a bit more powerful. They don't feel as jumpy as the 790s but they are very, very consistent irons. Very good on the fat miss, weaker on the skinny but still very playable.

I don't see these as a 770 replacement. I see these as a replacement for someone who either doesn't like the profile of the 790 or who is lower spin and has a lot of inconsistency front to back (me). The tradeoff is some forgiveness, though not as much as I'd expected, actually. I'd expect these to be in a bunch of bags next year. They check a lot of boxes in terms of forgiveness and performance in a smaller cavity offering.

Having hit and played these - these really are an interesting offering. Very similar to the z765 in feel, though these definitely feel a bit more powerful. They don't feel as jumpy as the 790s but they are very, very consistent irons. Very good on the fat miss, weaker on the skinny but still very playable.

I don't see these as a 770 replacement. I see these as a replacement for someone who either doesn't like the profile of the 790 or who is lower spin and has a lot of inconsistency front to back (me). The tradeoff is some forgiveness, though not as much as I'd expected, actually. I'd expect these to be in a bunch of bags next year. They check a lot of boxes in terms of forgiveness and performance in a smaller cavity offering.

I think you're looking at these backwards based on what you look for in an iron (nothing wrong with that). The only thing these have in common with the 790 is the presence of speed foam in some of the irons, but that's where the similarities end. Make no mistake, the 760 is definitely a 750/770 replacement for players who prefer that category of irons. They offer 750 performance in the short irons, but 770 (or better) forgiveness and speed in the mid and long irons. On paper, it looks like a perfect players combo set.

I am curious about something you said a couple of posts up about the gap between 6 and 7. The speed foam gradually starts at the 7 iron, so there's a natural gap between the 8 and 7 iron. Is that what you meant, or did you see a performance gap between the 6 and 7?

In the 790 my gap was really 6 to 7. I didn't see as big of one 7 to 8. Can't explain it. I had to have all the lofts done to spec but when I did, that was where I saw gaps.

As for thinking about them backwards, wouldn't be the first time I was accused of thinking backwards but I think it was more I didn't explain myself well. I've played the 790, the 770, and the 760. I found the 760 to sit between them, and I think they are the perfect replacement for someone who was uncomfortable with the front to back dispersion of the 790s. If I really liked the 770 irons I'm not sure I'd put the 760s in my bag. I'd probably just put a 790 4 iron at the top. For me the 770 were not nearly as forgiving as the 790s and the 760 are well more forgiving IMO than the 770.

Hit these yesterday. Full disclosure, I pretty much hate TM due to their marketing pitches. Currently play CF16, which I love, but they are getting old/I'm getting the itch for something new. Requirements must a short/squat head type(so no Ping), minimal offset, with some forgiveness.
Went to the PGA Superstore to check out the Mizuno 919 offering, thinking the 919 forged might be perfect...seems a little long blade to me. Loved the 919 Tour, but wondered how forgiving they are compared to the Apex CF16's. Anybody know?
Then on the way out, I saw the P760. They caught my eye enough to take a closer look- not bad at all. At address they are everything I look for in a iron. Strolled over to the hitting bay with the 7 iron- pretty consistent high 150's carry, which is what I want/expect, and they honestly felt pretty damn good(OK TM they felt great, I reluctantly admit).
Overall, they certainly in the running for my 2019 iron set. I won't do anything until I see the Apex CF16 replacement though....

I think I like what Taylormade are doing here overall, but the back of that iron is just aesthetically unappealing to me.

... You did not say you would not play them but I am always amazed at comments like this. If someone could explain why the back of an iron has any influence on their decision to play them I would LOVE to hear it. Personally I do not like the look of the rear of my P790's. To me, they look like they are trying to pretend they are MB's but the silver stripe is unappealing aesthetically as well as the little tier with tungsten stenciled on it which just looks cheap to me. That said, they look awesome at address with a darn near perfect shape and I never see the back of the iron when I play golf. If the iron looks good at address and performs for my swing, I really could not care less what the cavity looks like. I just see so many comments about how an iron looks from behind especially when first released and no address picture available and I am perplexed by those that say they won't play them, often without ever demoing them against there current irons.

... Again, the P790's did not appeal to me at all aesthetically and from a "distance" iron perspective, as additional distance was not something I was looking for. But I am glad I hit them at Demo Day, something I try to do with all new irons released, and was blown away by the trajectory/spin combo and especially how forgiving there are for a players iron. The back of the P790's never entered into my decision to play them. So seriously, why would it matter to anyone here if they give you your best performance and look good at address?

I was able to try these out recently, but only in the 7i. Great feel and an awesome look all the way around. I do wonder how the feel will be during the transition from 7 to 8, but no doubts they got that right. Especially if Jason Day is playing a full set. I like the idea of the combo-esque set and that there seems to be more forgiveness and a touch less spin and launch than 770. During the test I didn’t feel as though the club was difficult to hit, it was rather easy to hit and really suits the eye at address.

I really do wish they kept the satin finish like the 770s as that has to be the best looking club ever produced by TM to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up getting fit into a set of these a couple of weeks ago. Went into the store thinking that I was going to walk out with either the Mizuno 919 forged or one of the Callaway Apex. After trying several different irons(including the ones mentioned) it was the P760s that performed best for me. They felt great and were incredibly consistent for distance. My mishits were shorter but not a huge amount. I have only a couple rounds played with them so far, but I'm extremely happy with them and have had no issues with gapping from 7-8 iron.

These irons r on my radar, I hit them in the store & really liked them. If I can move some of my other stuff I think I will get fit for a set of these shortly

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I was actually about to bump this thread!

Hoping next month I get to somehow give these a go at TaylorMade Injected Speed.

I’m going into this thing an open book for the TMaG boys.

That would b awesome if we got to demo a few different products at the event. These & the m5 fairway r @ the top of my list to hit

That would b awesome if we got to demo a few different products at the event. These & the m5 fairway r @ the top of my list to hit

My m5 3wood blows me away. Off the tee or fairway it is unreal. It is almost a driver replacement at 14*. Definitely makes the larger par 5s more attainable.

Back