TaylorMade GAPR MID - THP Review Thread

Encouraging results Molten. When I tested the MID I never went out to the extremes of the loft sleeve; only going up/down one notch from stated in both standard lie and upright. I usually notice a little performance drop off (ball speed/consistency) when I go out to the extremes on any OEM adjustable loft sleeve so I typically don't go there. That fear might be all be in my head though. Did the performance hold up well for you at 16.5 and 19.5?

Encouraging results Molten. When I tested the MID I never went out to the extremes of the loft sleeve; only going up/down one notch from stated in both standard lie and upright. I usually notice a little performance drop off (ball speed/consistency) when I go out to the extremes on any OEM adjustable loft sleeve so I typically don't go there. That fear might well be all be in my head though? Did the performance hold up well for you at 16.5 and 19.5?

Yes, it did. I got my longest shots with the 16.5 degree (carry and total) but it was slightly more punishing on the miss hits when my spin was too low for my launch. I found the results to be more consistent at 19.5 because the extra height and spin hid my misses a bit more. To be clear, it was really playable at all lofts and I played at both 16.5 and 19.5 for several rounds.

I think I’ll play it at 17.5 or 18. It stays in the bag.

Another playing partner recognized the MID immediately and wanted to hit it. After a few swings he came away very impressed.

It is a forgiving as all heck head and I love the iron shape.

seems like the idea of the driving iron is coming back in style

A little evening bump for those thinking about some Black Friday spending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great reviews Molten.

I have these a hit this week on a day my swing was all over the place. Gave me loads of info regarding forgiveness.

The Low: couldn’t get it up in the air. It might be down to the KBS shaft which felt a bit wippy in all the models. My Cobra utility was easily pushing out 20y more carry with much higher ball flight.

The Mid: my p790 5 Iron was straighter and reaching the same distance of 175 - 180y into a two club breeze. Different shaft might help a lot.

The High: this is the one that caught my eye. For the more traditional hybrid of the lot I thought it kept straight with a lovely high ball flight. Distance wasn’t overly impressive but it was very consistent into the wind. Found it hard to play a lower shot with this but as a 190-200y ( no wind) par 3 finder with versatility from the rough it is worth a try.

I must agree the KBS stiff shaft did nothing for me. I have the UST Irod in both my hybrid and utility iron. This stock shaft might work for those that like a little whip at the end to help the ball in the air. I would definitely get this made up by an independent fitter if I had to go down this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embargos are about to be lifted on a several new releases and the bulk of the Clubs/Balls/Accessories interest will be justifiably focused on that new awesomeness. But I wanted to bump this 5-6 week old thread up mostly to thank Molten again for all the work he put into the thread and his GAPR MID review. It backed up everything I experienced way back when I demoed this club and was instrumental to my purchase decision.

Unfortunately, I had to wait a bit. I ordered my GAPR MID #3 stock KBS R-flex on Black Friday only to learn it was supposedly back ordered until mid/late Jan. I was surprised by it waiting for me when I returned from a Christmas roadtrip a couple nights ago so I was able to get it out to the range for a bit yesterday. It was sub freezing with a cold heavy wind so I only hit about 2 dozen shots outdoors but it provided everything I was looking for (if not a little more). Straight shot after straight shot that traveled about the same distance as my current hybrid (which I'm forever worried about hooking into trouble). One of the indoor sims at the range had opened up when I stepped inside to warm up briefly so I rented it. I hit another 60 or so shots inside, gathering numbers to start dialing in my settings. Looking like upright loft at 18, 18.5, or 19 will likely be my setting. I saw so many sim shots registering in the 220s and even a couple 230s total. If legit, that's crazy number territory for me with essentially a 3 iron but I did hit a few drivers and 4 irons to 'fact check' the sim. Driver topped at 252 total - longer than most of my drives but I usually get at least 1 or 2 a round that far. Three 4 irons were all at 186-192 and 4i is typically my 185-190 club.

I'm stoked to get this one on the course when we get a little nicer weather. I think the GAPR MID will be a nearly perfect tee option on tight holes for me and will be $$$ off the deck too - thanks Molten for all your input!

Last edited:
Embargos are about to be lifted on a several new releases and the bulk of the Clubs/Balls/Accessories interest will be justifiably focused on that new awesomeness. But I wanted to bump this 5-6 week old thread up mostly to thank Molten again for all the work he put into the thread and his GAPR MID review. It backed up everything I experienced way back when I demoed this club and was instrumental to my purchase decision.

Unfortunately, I had to wait a bit. I ordered my GAPR MID #3 stock KBS R-flex on Black Friday only to learn it was supposedly back ordered until mid/late Jan. I was surprised by it waiting for me when I returned from a Christmas roadtrip a couple nights ago so I was able to get it out to the range for a bit yesterday. It was sub freezing with a cold heavy wind so I only hit about 2 dozen shots outdoors but it provided everything I was looking for (if not a little more). Straight shot after straight shot that traveled about the same distance as my current hybrid (which I'm forever worried about hooking into trouble). One of the indoor sims at the range had opened up when I stepped inside to warm up briefly so I rented it. I hit another 60 or so shots inside, gathering numbers to start dialing in my settings. Looking like upright loft at 18, 18.5, or 19 will likely be my setting. I saw so many sim shots registering in the 220s and even a couple 230s total. If legit, that's crazy number territory for me with essentially a 3 iron but I did hit a few drivers and 4 irons to 'fact check' the sim. Driver topped at 252 total - longer than most of my drives but I usually get at least 1 or 2 a round that far. Three 4 irons were all at 186-192 and 4i is typically my 185-190 club.

I'm stoked to get this one on the course when we get a little nicer weather. I think the GAPR MID will be a nearly perfect tee option on tight holes for me and will be $$$ off the deck too - thanks Molten for all your input!

Super happy you found it helpful. I had a blast reviewing the MID and it really helped that it was a fantastic offering that performed great. 220 with this bad boy is really great!

Now if only we could get some good weather! My MID needs to get back on the course too - it has stayed in the bag.

Played first round with this one a few days ago and everything went great. Played my home course (Rivercut) mid-hi 30s overcast and not too windy. I was the only person out there most of the day as it cart path only due to a soaked course, so I walked it with my push cart. My intent was to hit GAPR MID off the tee on both short tight par 4s that I typically use 3W or hybrid, and also for my second shots on both par 5s on the front nine. Didn't quite go as planned, but in many respects it went better. In pics to follow GAPR shot = TEAL, 3W 'just to see' results = RED, and my preferred target areas circled in GREEN.

My first MID opportunity came as scripted off the tee on hole #4, 323 yard dog leg left. Best to favor right side of fairway due to huge trees guarding left half of green.
GAPR provided me a nice 209 yard (GPS'd) baby draw to left center. Left a nice 9 iron into a pin on very back left that I tugged a bit and had knocked down by a branch just short of left trap = bogey. FWIW, after teeing off with GAPR I also tried my 3W 'just to see' and drew it too far left, down near river and blocked completely by trees.
VqLHxui.jpg

I had next intended to hit GAPR for my second shot on the par 5 5th and 7th holes but neither happened. I pushed my drive too far right on #5 and had a tree to go over so hit a safe 7 iron back to the fairway there. Then I hammered too good a drive on #7 and had a legitimate play for the green in two so I opted to hit 3W instead. Good hit but over cooked draw missed left.

Next came the tee shot on the 295 yard par 4 16th, as planned. Because of how the green sits and the false fronts/sides and shaved collection areas/hazards it's best to hit your tee ball up onto a flat looking straight up the throat of the green. There is a ridge running diagonally across the fairway right to left to get past to reach the flat.
A straight tee shot down fairway right with GAPR hit the ridge and just couldn't climb it, curling left and ultimately rolling backwards a couple yards at the end. I still got 206 from it and had a nice easy wedge in. Thought I made the 15 footer but think again = par. My 'just to see' 3W almost hooked OOB.
qPrXeyi.jpg

I got an unplanned opportunity on the next hole, the downhill 219 yard par 3 17th. The pin was all the way back left and my slope laser gave me 233 pin, plays like 219. I hit a SWEET baby draw GAPR that carried the knob with the pot bunker on the right and landed somewhere near the right edge (knob blocks view) and curled around left heading right toward the pin. It stopped 6-7 feet short. My GPS watch measured shot at 229. I also got a pic of my ball as I walked down off the knob toward the green to putt. I missed the putt (ughh) = par.
QQFIaJP.jpg

Duz7eid.jpg

Normally I won't attempt the shot I played on the next hole but new club, and I was hitting it so well, so I went for it. The par 5 18th is a 506 yard dog leg left with trouble all down the left. A creek bisects the fairway about 135 out. I drew an OK tee shot into the middle of the fairway but not long enough to think about going for the green. Also the lie there is hanging with the ball quite a bit above your feet. From there my usual decision is either to lay short of the bisecting creek or carry about 25 yards past it where there is a wider landing zone than when trying to eat up more yardage. So I should've played an easy 7 iron here just to carry the creek and leave about 100 in. But instead I hit a nice lowish 197 yard bullet with GAPR into the narrow area of the fairway and had just 38 left to a front pin. So-so wedge shot went 9 feet past and I missed the birdie = par. FWIW I've drawn too many balls into the pond trying to get close to this green in the past with hybrid or 3W so I'm probably not going to play it this way most times but at least I know it's available.
V5oqg2G.png

Last edited:
Played first round with this one a few days ago and everything went great. Played my home course (Rivercut) mid-hi 30s overcast and not too windy. I was the only person out there most of the day as it cart path only due to a soaked course, so I walked it with my push cart. My intent was to hit GAPR MID off the tee on both short tight par 4s that I typically use 3W or hybrid, and also for my second shots on both par 5s on the front nine. Didn't quite go as planned, but in many respects it went better. In pics to follow GAPR shot = TEAL, 3W 'just to see' results = RED, and my preferred target areas circled in GREEN.

My first MID opportunity came as scripted off the tee on hole #4, 323 yard dog leg left. Best to favor right side of fairway due to huge trees guarding left half of green.
GAPR provided me a nice 209 yard (GPS'd) baby draw to left center. Left a nice 9 iron into a pin on very back left that I tugged a bit and had knocked down by a branch just short of left trap = bogey. FWIW, after teeing off with GAPR I also tried my 3W 'just to see' and drew it too far left, down near river and blocked completely by trees.
VqLHxui.jpg

I had next intended to hit GAPR for my second shot on the par 5 5th and 7th holes but neither happened. I pushed my drive too far right on #5 and had a tree to go over so hit a safe 7 iron back to the fairway there. Then I hammered too good a drive on #7 and had a legitimate play for the green in two so I opted to hit 3W instead. Good hit but over cooked draw missed left.

Next came the tee shot on the 295 yard par 4 16th, as planned. Because of how the green sits and the false fronts/sides and shaved collection areas/hazards it's best to hit your tee ball up onto a flat looking straight up the throat of the green. There is a ridge running diagonally across the fairway right to left to get past to reach the flat.
A straight tee shot down fairway right with GAPR hit the ridge and just couldn't climb it, curling left and ultimately rolling backwards a couple yards at the end. I still got 206 from it and had a nice easy wedge in. Thought I made the 15 footer but think again = par. My 'just to see' 3W almost hooked OOB.
qPrXeyi.jpg

I got an unplanned opportunity on the next hole, the downhill 219 yard par 3 17th. The pin was all the way back left and my slope laser gave me 233 pin, plays like 219. I hit a SWEET baby draw GAPR that carried the knob with the pot bunker on the right and landed somewhere near the right edge (knob blocks view) and curled around left heading right toward the pin. It stopped 6-7 feet short. My GPS watch measured shot at 229. I also got a pic of my ball as I walked down off the knob toward the green to putt. I missed the putt (ughh) = par.
QQFIaJP.jpg

Duz7eid.jpg

Normally I won't attempt the shot I played on the next hole but new club, and I was hitting it so well, so I went for it. The par 5 18th is a 506 yard dog leg left with trouble all down the left. A creek bisects the fairway about 135 out. I drew an OK tee shot into the middle of the fairway but not long enough to think about going for the green. Also the lie there is hanging with the ball quite a bit above your feet. From there my usual decision is either to lay short of the bisecting creek or carry about 325 yards past it where there is a wider landing zone than when trying to eat up more yardage. So I should've played an easy 7 iron here just to carry the creek and leave about 100 in. But instead I hit a nice lowish 197 yard bullet with GAPR into the narrow area of the fairway and had just 38 left to a front pin. So-so wedge shot went 9 feet past and I missed the birdie = par. FWIW I've drawn too many balls into the pond trying to get close to this green in the past with hybrid or 3W so I'm probably not going to play it this way most times but at least I know it's available.
V5oqg2G.png

Now that’s a heck of a recap and it sounds like the MID was doing exactly what you needed. If you are getting that type of yardage in the 30s, I’m excited to see what happens in the summer!

Sounds like it could stay in your bag for a while

Great review, except, like every other i have found, I am seeing little to no information regarding bad lies, patchy rough, and other hybrid lies. I am considering pulling the trigger on a 3 mid to replace my hook-happy burner 3 19* hybrid, as I feel this club will be more versatile, so long as it performs out of the **** lies i find myself in quite often.

Any insight would be appreciated,

Thank you

Great review, except, like every other i have found, I am seeing little to no information regarding bad lies, patchy rough, and other hybrid lies. I am considering pulling the trigger on a 3 mid to replace my hook-happy burner 3 19* hybrid, as I feel this club will be more versatile, so long as it performs out of the **** lies i find myself in quite often.

Any insight would be appreciated,

Thank you

Oh I live in those lies so let’s do the darn thing! It certainly performs out of the bad lies without a complete tendency to snap the face closed. The ball speed is there although I found the launch to be lower than I would prefer from the really thick stuff (I’m guessing that is due to my average swing speed and the low loft setting I had during testing - the addition of rough highlighted the launch).

From really crappy lies I would play for a lot of run - for example I can remember a few shots I placed from ~210 to the back of the green and I was trying to run it up the approach/front. They all flew about the same yardage short of the green and with plenty of tumble and roll. Many came up just short of the green, a few rolled through the green, and many rolled on the green. What I enjoyed was the consistent ball flight (even if I couldn’t always gauge the roll beyond a 15-20 yard window). I am still a low teen handicapper so I was pleased enough bettering the ball with consistency.

If you want something to get up fast from crappy lies and with only, for example, 17 degrees of loft, it may not be your best option but I found the pros to outweigh the cons in my game. The MID knocked all hybrids out of my bag since this review.

Fire any follow up questions you want - I’ll get you whatever I can.

Stupid question but do the hybrid shafts go into these? Just that would open up a lot of options for me shaft wise. Just going through the bag and want something in the middle of the 3 wood and 4 iron. Cheers

Stupid question but do the hybrid shafts go into these? Just that would open up a lot of options for me shaft wise. Just going through the bag and want something in the middle of the 3 wood and 4 iron. Cheers

No stupid questions ever IMO. I asked to confirm the same thing before I bought my MID. I've been using the Tensei Blue shaft from my M3 #3 hybrid in my GAPR MID #3 with no issues. The Tensei is slightly longer than the KBS shaft that came with my #3 MID, maybe 3/4"? I'll check when I get my clubs back from getting grips replaced. Adaptor is exactly the same and I like the feel better with the Tensei.

Thanks for your response...looking at one of these to fill the gap I have! Driver carries 250 in the UK, 3 wood around 225-230 then 4 iron about 195-200 so I’m looking for the 210-215 carry club. Had P790 UDI which I liked alot other than the forgiveness!!! Also not great off the deck.
Looking at chucking a UST VTS 85S Tour SPX silver shaft in an adapter and trying that.

Anyone experiencing a cracking sound? I have the GAPR MID, and after yesterday i'm afraid to hit it again. It sounds like it's going to break, while it's still quite new. I don't know where the sound come's from, the shaft or the head.. Going back to the pro shop next week.

Anyone experiencing a cracking sound? I have the GAPR MID, and after yesterday i'm afraid to hit it again. It sounds like it's going to break, while it's still quite new. I don't know where the sound come's from, the shaft or the head.. Going back to the pro shop next week.

Sorry to hear about that and hopefully they sort it all out for you. Did the cracking sound build gradually over a number of days/shots or was it solid and quiet one swing and a worrisome sound on the next? In any event keep us posted as to what damage, if any, they find. Good Luck.

Never heard a cracking noise but I’m sure TMag will take care of you if it does fail!

Tighten the adjustment screw with your head tool. Give it a couple of clicks.

If that’s the issue, one click should do the trick!

Back