TaylorMade skipping 2019 PGA show

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Link: https://golfweek.com/2018/10/21/golf-the-forecaddie-taylormade-will-not-attend-2019-pga-show/

A few years ago, TM had the biggest booth at the PGA show. Now they won't be there at all. In the end, it's really a show for those in the industry and it seems like they want to work on those relationships in a different way. But for the common golfer, does this matter to you? To me, it seems like a cost-cutting measure that doesn't have much good PR associated with it.

This could be that I am a massive golf nerd but I don’t see a major need for a big booth or a booth at all in the PGA Show.

I guess some sellers that go to the show have no idea about what’s coming so the show is still where they discover new products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the first time and certainly won’t be the last time. The first time a big company slipped it, it was a bit surprising. Not so much anymore.

The PGA Show has been slowly dying year after year, so seeing this is unsurprising to me. I still stand that the show needs to be revamped, and it needs to be moved (timeframe)to regain some luster and excitement. For the regular Joe/Jane who finds their way in with their goody bags I get that it’s still a wonderland, but IMO if you’ve been to the show once, then you’ve been to all the shows.

Meh. With social media available for customer outreach and the fact that quite often buyers have already seen new product before the show, I don't find this surprising. If anything, I could see the show not be around soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not surprised and it doesn’t move the needle for me.

The smaller companies are the ones I get excited about

The PGA Show has been slowly dying year after year, so seeing this is unsurprising to me. I still stand that the show needs to be revamped, and it needs to be moved (timeframe)to regain some luster and excitement. For the regular Joe/Jane who finds their way in with their goody bags I get that it’s still a wonderland, but IMO if you’ve been to the show once, then you’ve been to all the shows.

Considering releases now happen throughout the year, the pga show really is the only major event in the winter.

I just wonder what the pga show can do to revamp it? It could be fun to move it to the fall. It's also already in a big golf area.

Considering releases now happen throughout the year, the pga show really is the only major event in the winter.

I just wonder what the pga show can do to revamp it? It could be fun to move it to the fall. It's also already in a big golf area.

Turn the apparel show in Vegas into the full PGA Show in the fall, reveal releases there, make it a Vegas spectacle.

But, they’re pretty archaic in their thinking, so, itll likely just continue its spiral in Orlando.

Turn the apparel show in Vegas into the full PGA Show in the fall, reveal releases there, make it a Vegas spectacle.

But, they’re pretty archaic in their thinking, so, itll likely just continue its spiral in Orlando.

This was always my thinking, but in speaking to a few people, it would be hard to make it work. Its a bit too early for new releases unless the majority of the industry changes to release before season ends. It would be tough to get much of the Northeast market of pga professionals out for it during golf season.

My idea was to put it in San Diego, the same week as the show being that Torrey event is there, so access is a little bit better, but honestly it still works on a number of levels, least important is media, which for many is why it seems outdated. I thought the show last year was a rebirth of sorts and one of the best ones they have done in a number of years. We will see how it continues this year, but I dont think this changes anything at all from an attendance or popularity idea.

It probably effects some more than others, but I really don't care about this. The only thing about the PGA Show that is good is the THP coverage, otherwise it really wouldn't matter if it existed or not, for me. The little guys are the ones that really benefit from shows like this and, judging by some twitter exchange I've seen, the show is making it hard on them too!

Not a big surprise, it’s an expensive proposition to put a booth there and what’s the ROI on it anymore? Especially compared to some of the other stuff they can do to show off the new toys.

The same kind of thing happened at CES, that show really used to be an industry show, but it’s moved much more towards an open event for consumers, and we see the big companies having different events to show off their own stuff where they don’t have to compete for attention with all the other companies.

That’s gonna be a very large hole in the show floor now and on the demo day circle.

Maybe they want to save their $$ and get ready for a huge release during next years cycle?

I, myself, could care less. Why have it at all? :confused2:

That’s gonna be a very large hole in the show floor now and on the demo day circle.

that’s a good point.

i’m not surprised in the sense that i don’t imagine the roi is that great on these things. and if your presence in print and television marketing is strong enough do you really need to be at the show?

what’s a little odd to me is how deep they seemed to have gone last year with the amazing twist face display, then to not even show up the next year. could they be unintentionally implying that the next release cycle isn’t as revolutionary or impressive?

that’s a good point.

i’m not surprised in the sense that i don’t imagine the roi is that great on these things. and if your presence in print and television marketing is strong enough do you really need to be at the show?

what’s a little odd to me is how deep they seemed to have gone last year with the amazing twist face display, then to not even show up the next year. could they be unintentionally implying that the next release cycle isn’t as revolutionary or impressive?

Or just thought hey, here’s a quick way to save over a million dollars and not send our marketing team all the way across country for a few days haha

Or just thought hey, here’s a quick way to save over a million dollars and not send our marketing team all the way across country for a few days haha

My thinking as well. I may be off base, especially in terms of sales, but I think TM has regained momentum. Their P line of iron is its best in the past 4-5 years. Don’t think they lose any momentum by not being there for the show.

My thinking as well. I may be off base, especially in terms of sales, but I think TM has regained momentum. Their P line of iron is its best in the past 4-5 years. Don’t think they lose any momentum by not being there for the show.

Nah they won’t, but I mean.. 7 figures is 7 figures. I bet other big companies would love to keep that savings

To play devil's advocate, what do you think a commercial costs to air on the Golf Channel?
Now picture they go live from the show floor for multiple days talking about the companies and products there.

While I do not think this has long term impact on TaylorMade, I view the PGA Show as something a bit different for the golf industry as a whole.
FWIW, I think that number is a bit high too : )

TaylorMade skipping 2019 PGA show

To play devil's advocate, what do you think a commercial costs to air on the Golf Channel?
Now picture they go live from the show floor for multiple days talking about the companies and products there.

While I do not think this has long term impact on TaylorMade, I view the PGA Show as something a bit different for the golf industry as a whole.

Their commercial costs are that high during show week? Wow.

Edit: I figured them, Callaway, and Titleist had booths that combined for about that. Then again with Taylormade not Adidas anymore, I guess it’s not really quite as much needed space

Their commercial costs are that high during show week? Wow.

No, that was my point, a brand could be getting essentially free commercials by being featured.
I dont think the PGA Show is a winning proposition of costs for large companies. I do think that brands that do it well, can be featured in a lot of ways to make up some of those costs.

No, that was my point, a brand could be getting essentially free commercials by being featured.
I dont think the PGA Show is a winning proposition of costs for large companies. I do think that brands that do it well, can be featured in a lot of ways to make up some of those costs.

OH, fair point then. That makes more sense to just hammer commercials on the channel for the same cost, and to more eyes.

Just as a outsider, the PGA show seems like it’s much more important to the smaller companies so they get their products seen and maybe get some connections. All the big OEM’s handle their own releases outside of the show, so I can see skipping it as being pretty inconsequential to their bottom line.

TM can do a lot with the money they will save on booth space, transportation cost for employees and the product itself. The business is consolidating. They will still travel to the key accounts or invite them to Cali to see the product and meet the team who design it. It’s happening in many channels of business.

The PGA show should just get rid of the show part of it and just have the demo day part. I doubt most consumers even care that the show exists.

I've noticed a lot of parallels between the music and the golf industry, where big players are aware they can better control their message by avoiding some of these big trade shows. I understand the intent for big companies that can afford to send out test equipment to social media, and make a big splash on NDA-expiration day on Youtube. It's cool that it feels like a more interesting and engaging way to debut new products, but I'm not sure I want to see stuff like the PGA show turn into nothing but golf bags and revolutionary new towels.

Back