Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

I like hearing that. I'm still pondering going this route myself with the OL irons.

Wish we could make this happen!

These F9s are so damn sweet.... not sure if I can hold off on upgrading from F8s much longer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome, I’ve always thought this line of irons from Cobra were criminally underrated

We soon will be finding out. I haven’t played anything but a players profile for as long as I can remember. But, I am fully on board to play these for 2019. I figure at 58 years of age, why not take some help?

These F9s are so damn sweet.... not sure if I can hold off on upgrading from F8s much longer....

Have you hit the F9s? If so, how are they different/better for you?

I picked up a 4 iron with a Steelfiber shaft. I didn’t feel like I wanted a 4 iron for the Morgan Cup, but I might put it in the bag afterwards, depending on the hole.

Yesterday, our weather broke for the first time this winter. Mid 40’s, sunshine, no wind... I was finally able to get out on real grass. However, the grass was dormant. The ground was also frozen, to the point that it was almost impossible to push a tee into the ground. So, it was a very tight lie from which to hit.

This 4 iron was so easy to elevate. I was quite surprised. I have no idea how far I was hitting it, but it gave me a good strong ball flight that I believe would still stop on a green. The feel was nice. I will have no trouble gaming the full set of irons. If anyone would be worried about the wide sole, I can attest it is a non-issue.

It is not difficult to see why Rickie Fowler would have this 4 iron in his bag. It will be fun to give it a try on a real course.

Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

Wroooooong thread....

So....

What do I think about this head? Honestly?

I just pulled the TPT 16LKP from the G400 Max and put a Cobra adapter on.
Didnt know the irons took an adapter....

Didnt know the irons took an adapter....

Bahahaha, clearly the wrong thread. Getting two one year olds and a four year old down on my own tonight clearly jacked up my head.

Bahahaha, clearly the wrong thread. Getting two one year olds and a four year old down on my own tonight clearly jacked up my head.
Oh I know. I'm so thankful I have just one right now. Baby duty all day definitely stressed me out.

Have you hit the F9s? If so, how are they different/better for you?

I have hit the F9s at PGASS and there are a couple differences I noticed with F9 compared to my current F8....

I will preface by saying I didn’t compare any launch monitor output with the clubs other than comparative distances between them.

The first thing is the setup of the clubs... the F9 speedback is visible at setup whereas the F8 with the sort of carbon fiber back wasn’t as pronounced. The top line of the F9 seems identical to the F8s. The visual of the club at address with the speedback clearly visible instilled confidence...
The next and probably most obvious to me was the sound differences. The F8 has a muted or muffled sound on contact whereas the F9 has a more crisp, clean sounding strike... even with some off center strikes the sounds were crisp.

I swung 2 irons, 9 and 5 while I was at the SS and from the numbers I was seeing a 1/2-1 full club in distances with the F9. My typical F8 9i is about 145-150 and I was consistently 152-155 with F9 9i. Obviously there are many factors to consider as I was using a different shaft (AMT) than my KBS gamer and I’m comparing mat distance to what I see on the course.

The 5i was a bit tougher to gauge as most of my shots were off center (right) which I attribute to swing flaws and the standard lie of the demo (I typically game 2*+ upright lie) to correct the steep aoa. Nonetheless, I did see consistently longer distances with the 5i by 1/2 a club than F8.

Overall, the look and sound of the F9 far exceeds the F8 IMO and I’m sure with a proper fit, these clubs will be 1/2 to 1 full club longer with speedback....

Good feedback Stemmy.

Really nice summary. Thanks for sharing.

I've read through this entire thread and all of you have me interested in the F9 One Lengths. 2 years ago, I was "fit" for F7 OL's at a PGASS. Needless to say, I was not happy with the fitting process, but I'm a believer in the OL concept, and I like my F7's (Jman, you were right in your excellent review back then).

I do intend to go through a full bag fitting soon, probably at Club Champion (I may start a thread later asking questions about that, too). My question here, I guess, is the upgrade from Cobra F7 OL's to F9's worth the investment? Are the F9's really that much improved over the F7's?

I've read through this entire thread and all of you have me interested in the F9 One Lengths. 2 years ago, I was "fit" for F7 OL's at a PGASS. Needless to say, I was not happy with the fitting process, but I'm a believer in the OL concept, and I like my F7's (Jman, you were right in your excellent review back then).

I do intend to go through a full bag fitting soon, probably at Club Champion (I may start a thread later asking questions about that, too). My question here, I guess, is the upgrade from Cobra F7 OL's to F9's worth the investment? Are the F9's really that much improved over the F7's?

Improved over F7s? Massively yes. Cobra made a ton of improvements from 7 to 8, and the 9s are a massive jump over the 8s. It took me a lot of testing in demo bays to find the right shaft, but I can't wait for my 9s to arrive. The ball jumps off the face like the 8s never have for me.

Worth the investment? If you are in a position to be going to CC, then I would say yes to that as well. Actually I'd say yes either way I think.

What an incredible weekend for these irons. The 4 iron in play for Rickie made some pretty clear waves.

Would love to know how many holes he teed with it and his score. I tweeted at Cobra but that seems unlikely to get an answer.

As I work down threads in the morning that I missed yesterday and want to comment on....

Well damn done Cobra for pub’ing RF using a Speedback 4i. Sort of makes their utility redundant in the eyes of many I think, but, gets this set the eyes it deserves.

Won’t lie, makes me want to try one against my u85

For people that have hit the full set of irons, have you seen any distance gaps with the F9's? How do the gaps compare with prior sets and/or VL sets that you have hit?

Yes, over time, consistency improves throughout the set. Obviously you can still have rough days/periods with your swing, but at least there are fewer things to fiddle with to get back on track. For the wedges, it takes a little bit of time to find what is most comfortable. For me, that's slightly choked down on 1/2 shots, and a little bit more choked down green side. The more comfortable you get with the consistent swing weight, the more you'll be comfortable modifying for partial shots. I do prefer the feel of the choked down wedge, compared to when I pick up a standard wedge in store. Standard just feels way off to me.

I agree. Love the 9-LW in my OL F7's. Just on a whim I purchased a rogue pro 8i and PW off of callaway preowned just to hit in my yard, and the standard length pw feels uncomfortably short after playing the F7s for a year, yet I choke down on my 9-lw OL a lot.

I will say, the idea of going back to hitting a 175 yard 8i does sound fun at times, hahahaha, I really would like to hit these though having reviewed/played/hit the F6, F7, and F8's.

As I work down threads in the morning that I missed yesterday and want to comment on....

Well damn done Cobra for pub’ing RF using a Speedback 4i. Sort of makes their utility redundant in the eyes of many I think, but, gets this set the eyes it deserves.

Won’t lie, makes me want to try one against my u85

Could agree with this more. It’s a great message to get out there and kudos to Cobra for doing so. They have been on fire this year so far.

I had ideas of going with the F9 4i in my Morgan Cup bag as a tee only option but the adjustability of the Utility won out.

I have no doubt these irons are fantastic, in fact after reading about some of these distances people are seeing I wonder if these are even more fun than people think.

Could agree with this more. It’s a great message to get out there and kudos to Cobra for doing so. They have been on fire this year so far.

I had ideas of going with the F9 4i in my Morgan Cup bag as a tee only option but the adjustability of the Utility won out.

I have no doubt these irons are fantastic, in fact after reading about some of these distances people are seeing I wonder if these are even more fun than people think.

Well, I know I am going to find out pretty soon. I know that I was reticent at first seriously to consider putting these in the bag, thinking, “Hey, I am a 4 or 5 index, so this is not my style of iron.” However, I know my game is to try to hit fairway with driver, hit the green and 2 putt. I also know that quite a few statistical analyses show that the greatest correlating factor to handicap is GIR. If I can hit one more GIR, I can probably lower my handicap by .5 to 1 stroke. So, I am seriously on board with these for the MC and beyond.

Well, I know I am going to find out pretty soon. I know that I was reticent at first seriously to consider putting these in the bag, thinking, “Hey, I am a 4 or 5 index, so this is not my style of iron.” However, I know my game is to try to hit fairway with driver, hit the green and 2 putt. I also know that quite a few statistical analyses show that the greatest correlating factor to handicap is GIR. If I can hit one more GIR, I can probably lower my handicap by .5 to 1 stroke. So, I am seriously on board with these for the MC and beyond.

I cannot wait to hear/read what you think, I got excited when I saw you went with these.

Back