Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

Well, I know I am going to find out pretty soon. I know that I was reticent at first seriously to consider putting these in the bag, thinking, “Hey, I am a 4 or 5 index, so this is not my style of iron.” However, I know my game is to try to hit fairway with driver, hit the green and 2 putt. I also know that quite a few statistical analyses show that the greatest correlating factor to handicap is GIR. If I can hit one more GIR, I can probably lower my handicap by .5 to 1 stroke. So, I am seriously on board with these for the MC and beyond.

Seriously a great way to look at it. I am looking forward to seeing how these work for you, kudos for giving something new a try

I like the looks!!!!
o.png

I will say, the idea of going back to hitting a 175 yard 8i does sound fun at times, hahahaha

One of the reasons I went with these

Could agree with this more. It’s a great message to get out there and kudos to Cobra for doing so. They have been on fire this year so far.

I had ideas of going with the F9 4i in my Morgan Cup bag as a tee only option but the adjustability of the Utility won out.

I have no doubt these irons are fantastic, in fact after reading about some of these distances people are seeing I wonder if these are even more fun than people think.

Cobra is in the equipment this year, this is the most excited I’ve been for Cobra irons in years

Well, I know I am going to find out pretty soon. I know that I was reticent at first seriously to consider putting these in the bag, thinking, “Hey, I am a 4 or 5 index, so this is not my style of iron.” However, I know my game is to try to hit fairway with driver, hit the green and 2 putt. I also know that quite a few statistical analyses show that the greatest correlating factor to handicap is GIR. If I can hit one more GIR, I can probably lower my handicap by .5 to 1 stroke. So, I am seriously on board with these for the MC and beyond.

Best equipment story of the MC so far if your evolution from KFTB to F9s

The F9 hybrid one length 19 degree. Wow! That's all I can say after 2 days of use! It is 10 to 15 yards longer than my one length F7 4 iron just as it should be. My F7 one length clubs trackman stats (average of 5 good strikes) are 4i - 162y carry, 19Y apex. 5i - 152y carry, 22Y apex. 9i - 115y carry, 26y apex. All the swing speed for the clubs are about 75 mph. I reshafted the F7’s with Grafalloy prolaunch red. The F9 I have is the stock shaft. The F9 clubhead, shaft and grip weight is within 6 grams of my F7’s so i would say the swing speed is the same as the F7’s. Although I did not use a trackman facility I would estimate from 50 balls on the range the first day and one round of golf the next day for the F9 19 degree to be 175y carry, 22y apex. I do have to play the ball one ball forward in the stance to adjust for the fact that they are not offset like the irons. My only complaint is that Cobra does not offer a 17 degree one length hybrid. I hope the Cobra one length R&D team is listening!

I took my new F9 One Lengths out on a local muni course today. Wasn't even keeping score most of the day. Wanted to put my Cobra Connect through it's paces but the course was not correctly loaded in Arrcos so gave up on that. Mixed bag today but I am loving the mental thought that I'm making the same swing on my 3H as I am on my Gap Wedge. I hit a lot of greens from 120 yds and in today, and wedge play is my only strength so that's saying something. Also noticed that even mishit hybrid shots go and go. I rarely pull out a 4 or 5 iron but I did today and they were no harder to hit than a higher club would've been. I think this is the year I really build some swing confidence.

Only downside so far - I'm having to relearn my iron distances as these go 1/2 to a full club length further than I am used to.

I’m looking forward to following along Boone.

I've scheduled a Club Champion full bag fitting for 2 weeks from tomorrow. As you can see in my signature, I currently game F7 One Lengths with a mixed bag of hybrids. My main goal in the fitting is to finally find out what flex shafts I need, what lie angle, best shaft length for me, etc. If they recommend adjusting my current set, that's fine. But, I honestly expect them to recommend upgrading to the F9 OL's. I would be very interested to see how well I can hit OL hybrids that match the set.

I've scheduled a Club Champion full bag fitting for 2 weeks from tomorrow. As you can see in my signature, I currently game F7 One Lengths with a mixed bag of hybrids. My main goal in the fitting is to finally find out what flex shafts I need, what lie angle, best shaft length for me, etc. If they recommend adjusting my current set, that's fine. But, I honestly expect them to recommend upgrading to the F9 OL's. I would be very interested to see how well I can hit OL hybrids that match the set.

You should definitely call up your Club Champion ahead of time to find out if they offer the OL items you hope to hit. I know the one I went could only fit into Edel OL and they did not have the F9 hybrid, let alone the OL hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this earlier but didn't get any responses so I'm hoping someone who has hit the OL version can help. Have you seen distance gaps with the OL that are unusual compared to VL iron/wedge sets?

I posted this earlier but didn't get any responses so I'm hoping someone who has hit the OL version can help. Have you seen distance gaps with the OL that are unusual compared to VL iron/wedge sets?

No. I've been played the Cobra King F7 One Lengths for almost 2 years. Distance gaps are about the same as with my Ping G variable length irons, roughly 10-12 yards. For that matter, my distances are about the same; I'm just more consistent with my F7 OL's.

I haven’t had any issues with the irons themselves (other than having to adjust up as every iron is going an average of 10 yds further than what I’m accustomed to). I know you are probably referring more to irons vs. hybrids but I’m not ready to give feedback on them as I’m still adjusting to hitting a 7 iron length hybrid. Need more time and consistency to give feedback on them but maybe others have had them longer and can give you their take.

No. I've been played the Cobra King F7 One Lengths for almost 2 years. Distance gaps are about the same as with my Ping G variable length irons, roughly 10-12 yards. For that matter, my distances are about the same; I'm just more consistent with my F7 OL's.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know!

I haven’t had any issues with the irons themselves (other than having to adjust up as every iron is going an average of 10 yds further than what I’m accustomed to). I know you are probably referring more to irons vs. hybrids but I’m not ready to give feedback on them as I’m still adjusting to hitting a 7 iron length hybrid. Need more time and consistency to give feedback on them but maybe others have had them longer and can give you their take.

I'm really interested to see your updates, Boone. Especially with your OL hybrids. I've been happy with my OL F7's, but they didn't offer the OL hybrid with the F7's. Whether I upgrade to the F9 OL irons or not, I'm seriously considering the hybrids, so your experience with them will be valuable, I think.

These long irons have to be cheating. Absolutely ridiculous how easy it is to hit it straight and clean.

I’ve hit the 5 iron a few times today and it’s deep.

I hit the F9's yesterday and I will say the long irons truly do feel the same as the scoring irons. My swing is inconsistent and I haven't really swung a club in a couple months(I'm in Michigan) but when I made good, clean contact, the ball jumps off the club face. What I really found to be great was that I had the same miss with every club. With VL irons, my miss with wedges/irons was different than my miss with long irons. I feel like these clubs could take away one side of the course for me and finally give me a consistent miss that I know I can play.

These things are fun. I feel bad for the MC guys who didn't choose them.

Well, only one of them actually hehe

These things are fun. I feel bad for the MC guys who didn't choose them.

Well, only one of them actually hehe

Am I going to regret my CB/MBs?

Am I going to regret my CB/MBs?

Nah, you’re going to have a smile stuck on your face the whole time.

It’s a win regardless of the irons you picked.

So I hit roughly ~200 balls today with my OL 9i. I'm in the middle of revamping my swing, so I had quite a variety of shots (smashed, thinned, slightly fat).

These are super fun clubs. Compared to my F8s, bad shots with the F9 looked virtually the same as good shots with my F8, distance and trajectory. Good shots today had slightly better distance, but just went higher and higher each time than the F8s ever did.

In addition to the results, the feel seemed quite different to F8s as well. With the F8s, a really well struck shot felt kinda like a thud to me. I never really felt like the ball jumped off the face. The F9s, woo are they different. Hit it clean and it not only rockets off the club, but it almost feels like nothing, like a practice swing. Small misses thin or fat seemed to have better feedback compared to the F8s as well. That's one thing I've struggled with, is getting that feedback from them. I can tell when I didn't get it clean, but the subtle differences aren't as much. F9s felt much more distinct for what spots I missed in.

It's day 1 out of hundreds, but boy was it promising.

Oh one more thing-- I don't ever want to go back to steel. I've got the Fuji Atmos shafts in there, wow those feel nice and effortless.

Spoiler
aFA6pE1.jpg

Last edited:
So I hit roughly ~200 balls today with my OL 9i. I'm in the middle of revamping my swing, so I had quite a variety of shots (smashed, thinned, slightly fat).

These are super fun clubs. Compared to my F8s, bad shots with the F9 looked virtually the same as good shots with my F8, distance and trajectory. Good shots today had slightly better distance, but just went higher and higher each time than the F8s ever did.

In addition to the results, the feel seemed quite different to F8s as well. With the F8s, a really well struck shot felt kinda like a thud to me. I never really felt like the ball jumped off the face. The F9s, woo are they different. Hit it clean and it not only rockets off the club, but it almost feels like nothing, like a practice swing. Small misses thin or fat seemed to have better feedback compared to the F8s as well. That's one thing I've struggled with, is getting that feedback from them. I can tell when I didn't get it clean, but the subtle differences aren't as much. F9s felt much more distinct for what spots I missed in.

It's day 1 out of hundreds, but boy was it promising.

Oh one more thing-- I don't ever want to go back to steel. I've got the Fuji Atmos shafts in there, wow those feel nice and effortless.

aFA6pE1.jpg

I knew you went graphite when you said 200 balls. Glad you love them!

I knew you went graphite when you said 200 balls. Glad you love them!

Gary the scary thing is that I've done multiple 300-400 ball visits at TG with the steel F8s. But still never switching back lol

Gary the scary thing is that I've done multiple 300-400 ball visits at TG with the steel F8s. But still never switching back lol

We have different elbows clearly. Get after it - I know that swing is going to be GROOVED!

Back