Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

I almost always reserve judgment on looks until I see clubs in person, and that will definitely be needed here. I want to see all that stuff that is going on.

Intrigued to say the least.... distance and forgiveness these are my two closest friends in golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong thread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Getting ready for a round

54df9e52b2eac3260c9df3515bb7733c.jpg

Will have some feedback coming tomorrow after I digest some info.

I'm really interested in the OL concept. Looking forward to the chance to demo the F9 OL.

Intrigued to say the least.... distance and forgiveness these are my two closest friends in golf

We have the same friends. Though distance rarely makes an appearance.

Getting ready for a round

54df9e52b2eac3260c9df3515bb7733c.jpg

I really need to give one length a honest shot someday soon. I've hit them at the Superstore but that's it. I've always felt they would work for a lot of golfers.

I'm really interested in the OL concept. Looking forward to the chance to demo the F9 OL.

We have the same friends. Though distance rarely makes an appearance.

That guy is no good unless our friend forgiveness also makes an appearance! I game the F8s and both make a regular appearance.... I’d love to be a 1/2 club longer with similar forgiveness tho!

I am very interested in these new F9 One Length irons and F9 OL hybrids ... I had the F7 One Length irons in my bag for a time, but didn't think they offered me the super-game-improvement I had experienced with my former set, the Ping Karstens. I ended up selling my F7 OL irons and buying a set of Ping Karstens with True Length Technology. I've enjoyed my "modified" Karstens, but see some real technology being incorporated into the F9 OL iron design. Can't wait to read your review of these irons in the coming days ...

Mike
MPM1960

i took swings with the pw and 5i today, also played alongside @jb who played these all day.

the feel was actually impressively good. i would go so far as to say i liked it.

the launch of the pw was fine, which is kind of bizarre given the length of the shaft. but i would be worried about hitting that 5i into a green and asking it to hold. very low, with a right bleeder shape.

i thought jb played these ok. he seemed to struggle a little with direction, but his distances were generally good. given his bag battle, i would think either he needs a more comprehensive fitting to make these work, or go a different direction. he may feel a lot differently though, just my observation.

Rickie said he had the F9 4 iron in his bag today and hit some nice shots with it. Said he might keep it around for next week, that would be pretty interesting.

Rickie said he had the F9 4 iron in his bag today and hit some nice shots with it. Said he might keep it around for next week, that would be pretty interesting.

When we met with their R&D team, they said he LOVES them in the longer irons.

That’s interesting. These are a little more GI than we typically see in a tour bag no?

That's really intriguing. Is it mostly for the forgiveness? They are just so different than his Pros, I would have guessed he'd prefer the Tour or FTBs if he wanted something different.

That’s interesting. These are a little more GI than we typically see in a tour bag no?

That's really intriguing. Is it mostly for the forgiveness? They are just so different than his Pros, I would have guessed he'd prefer the Tour or FTBs if he wanted something different.

There are a number of players that have gone this route rather than going with a utility or hybrid. High launch and super forgiving.

There are a number of players that have gone this route rather than going with a utility or hybrid. High launch and super forgiving.

Makes sense to me. It will definitely be good for the line if Rickie has some success with it.

I think Rickie is using it instead of his 5 wood. He has a tour ad ut in it. So it may not be a utility per se, but it is kinda playing like one.

@JB - after having more time to digest your recent experiences with these, what are your thoughts?

I didn’t read the posts earlier, so if asked and answered I apologize.

How does the OL not affect swing speed and distance? I know my speed changes as I move down in clubs, so if all my clubs are the same length (7iron) wouldn’t my club speed and distance change from my current different length clubs?

I didn’t read the posts earlier, so if asked and answered I apologize.

How does the OL not affect swing speed and distance? I know my speed changes as I move down in clubs, so if all my clubs are the same length (7iron) wouldn’t my club speed and distance change from my current different length clubs?

I’m sure others are more qualified to answer this than me, but I’ll give it a shot. Club speed will be affected (in comparison to variable, slower in lower lofts and faster in higher). One of the ways to mitigate that is by lighter shafts in lower lofted clubs like Cobra did with the F9.

Cobra also has tweaked weight placement in the head design to allow for higher launch in the lower lofts and make carry distances more comparable. Plus they offer the OL hybrid for additional assistance in those lower lofts.

Last edited:
Just came to comment on Fowler playing the F9 4 iron but I'm late to the party. Really shocked when I saw him playing it. I bet a ton of pros would profit from doing a similar thing and adding GI clubs for their longer irons. Pride probably plays a big part as to why you don't see this more.

I’m sure others are more qualified to answer this than me, but I’ll give it a shot. Club speed will be affected (in comparison to variable, slower in lower lofts and faster in higher). One of the ways to mitigate that is by lighter shafts in lower lofted clubs like Cobra did with the F9.

Cobra also has tweaked weight placement in the head design to allow for higher launch in the lower lofts and make carry distances more comparable. Plus they offer the OL hybrid for additional assistance in those lower lofts.

Also to add with these design changes, the club head weight is heavier in the long irons and lighter in short irons. All of the club heads end up being the same which is very different from standard clubs. The heavier head weight helps with improved distance.

Back