Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

It is hard to tell from the photos I have seen. How is the sole in terms of turf interraction? Even though I would not normally choose this profile, I will admit that right now, I am leaning towards these a bit for MC. It will depend upon shaft choices, as I need something lower launching, especially with this type of profile. It also will depend on how well the offset is hidden. I don’t mind a little offset, but some of the super game improvement heads freak out my eye, screaming “hook me,” which causes me to hang on and miss right, just the opposite of the intended design.

Superior to the KFTB? Interesting.

Mind you my time with KFTB was with AMT white which is probably one of the top three worst shafts for my game

If a golfer prefers less movement and distance out of their irons, this is a hard set to beat right now. The ball flies incredibly straight for me, which is not something I describe with any club very often. Its path dictated, but very little curvature. I enjoy the heck out of them.

Speaking with another THPer about my bag setup and the thin topline they have they slot in nicely as the GI set and take my game to the next level

So the ball just wants to go straight with these? Does that apply to the hosel as well? Asking for a friend haha

Big face, small miss *

OITW, weren’t you considering the Forged earlier? Pretty compelling that you’d also consider F9s, speaks a lot for them.

The rest of you, please continue your discussion on F9 vs FTB :)

gotta disagree with you here. granted, i'm comparing different shafts in both, as well as traditional in kftb vs ol in f9. but there was really nothing about the f9 that i liked better than kftb. look, feel, flight, etc all go to kftb FOR ME.

But the truth is, you will just about always choose the smaller more compact players' iron, right?
Because as a low ball hitter like you are, these would do exactly what you want haha.

gotta disagree with you here. granted, i'm comparing different shafts in both, as well as traditional in kftb vs ol in f9. but there was really nothing about the f9 that i liked better than kftb. look, feel, flight, etc all go to kftb FOR ME.

That's why this game is great.

OITW, weren’t you considering the Forged earlier? Pretty compelling that you’d also consider F9s, speaks a lot for them.

The rest of you, please continue your discussion on F9 vs FTB :)

I could comfortably game either set for this event and I don't think there would be any hiccups in my game. Both are soooo good. Just depends what everyone is looking for.

I have two sets built (in my mind) and both are different, but good.

If I go with these my wedge setup will be drastically different than anything I've played in the past 5 years, but I think I'll like it a lot - should help the scoring

But the truth is, you will just about always choose the smaller more compact players' iron, right?
Because as a low ball hitter like you are, these would do exactly what you want haha.

This is what resonates with me the most, also with the course being all about dat carry distance, this setup paired with the right shaft, I think it will Elevate my game (see what I did there) and set me and my team up for the most success

I have no doubt that the FTBs would be the proper profile for me, a decent ball striker, generating plenty of spin and launch, but just need a little more distance at the ripe young age of 58 at the time of this event. However, I own a set of FTBs that I got in November. I am taking them for a rigorous tryout this weekend when I hit the south part of the state. That is what makes me give the F9s a very hard ponder. Obviously, I want to try something different for MC, since the clubs are free, but I truly am doing it with the intent to be able to score my best and keep them in the bag after. I know a muscleback-type iron is a thing of the past for my game now. I can’t wait to hit these F9s to see if the turf interraction will be good and if the left/right dispersion is acceptable and if they launch into a window that looks right to my eye.

Man if I were in the MC I'd be so torn. Ego+ occasional great shot says to go for the king forged, but handicap, tech, forgiveness says f9 lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

visually, yes. but i did hit the f9, and my feedback is the same. and fwiw i hit the f8 last year and liked them too. but we make a lot of decisions for feel and a aesthetics in this game, decisions that maybe don't offer the best performance.

i'm not sh1tting on the f9, just responding to @oitw saying the f9 is superior to the kftb wrt what he mentioned above. peak height and forgiveness, sure and that's to be expected, no argument from me. but feel and sound? to each his own, but that is a stretch for me.

For someone who currently plays and enjoys the Ping i20s, it seems like king forged should probably be my MC focus. However, I do sometimes struggle making consistent contact on my long irons and all the talk about the forgiveness and length of the F9 irons has me intrigued (considering I don't get much time to practice any more). Any thoughts on whether a 5-7 handicapper would benefit from the F9's or should I stick with my gut on the KFTB's?

Had the opportunity to put the 5i through it’s paces yesterday

5i 22.5*

Temps were mid 20s and range balls were NXT Tour

KBS Tour 95 was the shaft I believe

These are rocket launchers I was averaging 205 carry 215 total distance also the height was a nice mid-mid high launch which is nice to see with a low lofted club like this

Lateral forgiveness across the face - I wasn’t losing significant distance on shots

Auditory feedback is great - flushed shots vs mishits and the sound is pleasant not harsh or muted

Dispersion wasn’t as tight as I would have liked and I’ve seen with some other offerings, but I definitely need more time with them.

Workability - I was able to work the ball both ways - they are a bit draw biased though and when I would put the draw swing on them it could get away from me.

All in all very happy with these - and I plan on putting either the 4i/5i combo into play for the MC as a Utility club

visually, yes. but i did hit the f9, and my feedback is the same. and fwiw i hit the f8 last year and liked them too. but we make a lot of decisions for feel and a aesthetics in this game, decisions that maybe don't offer the best performance.

i'm not sh1tting on the f9, just responding to @oitw saying the f9 is superior to the kftb wrt what he mentioned above. peak height and forgiveness, sure and that's to be expected, no argument from me. but feel and sound? to each his own, but that is a stretch for me.

Just including my take from when I demoed them a few weeks ago and like I said, this why the game is great, because of the choices and options for all of us out there.

I really think for me the KFTB just aren't my bag baby, they aren't bad by any stretch, but my wants/needs they didn't do it for me, these with the stock shaft offering exceeded expectations as I was underwhelmed with the previous offerings of this club - I also may have put the KFTB on a pedestal before I put them in play (ugh that stock shaft) and didn't get the results that I was expecting/demanding.

I'm glad we had this convo as I think it will definitely help people make a good educated decision on which irons they should game for them

For someone who currently plays and enjoys the Ping i20s, it seems like king forged should probably be my MC focus. However, I do sometimes struggle making consistent contact on my long irons and all the talk about the forgiveness and length of the F9 irons has me intrigued (considering I don't get much time to practice any more). Any thoughts on whether a 5-7 handicapper would benefit from the F9's or should I stick with my gut on the KFTB's?

Thats around what my handicap is.
I say play what you want honestly.
Have you considered a OL setup? It sounds like you might be a good candidate.

Thats around what my handicap is.
I say play what you want honestly.
Have you considered a OL setup? It sounds like you might be a good candidate.

I'm hesitant to move to OL since it seems like such a big change. Mentally getting over the hurdle of not trying to swing out of my shoes and long irons and not feeling like I can really dial in in the short clubs (because it feels more like a 7-iron) is my biggest concern. If I wasn't in such a big need for an upgrade, I think I'd be more interested in testing it out, but right now I'm pretty interested to see what 6-years of tech advances will do to my game :)

OL is out for me because I can't wrap my head around learning to adjust in one month with very few decent days. But I'm actually concerned about the F9 as someone who hits the ball high. Talk me back off the ledge?

OL is out for me because I can't wrap my head around learning to adjust in one month with very few decent days. But I'm actually concerned about the F9 as someone who hits the ball high. Talk me back off the ledge?

Im curious about the adjustment. You hit a 7 iron, right?

Question on the OL club makeup - is there only 1 steel shaft and 1 graphite shaft option available for OL since those shafts need to be flighted a certain way to get the end result that Cobra is looking for? I know there are flex options (regular/stiff), just not sure about shaft options for this type of iron set.

Im curious about the adjustment. You hit a 7 iron, right?

Sure. But I can’t imagine it’s that simple. I might be wrong but it has to be an adjustment, even if it’s mental.

Sure. But I can’t imagine it’s that simple. I might be wrong but it has to be an adjustment, even if it’s mental.

Mental maybe. I haven't seen much of one outside of that. Honestly I didn't see much of one at all.

Mental maybe. I haven't seen much of one outside of that. Honestly I didn't see much of one at all.

Fair enough. I’ll try to hunt some OL down locally to try in the next weeks to see if they are in play. I love the concept despite it running contrary to every set I’ve ever played.

Fair enough. I’ll try to hunt some OL down locally to try in the next weeks to see if they are in play. I love the concept despite it running contrary to every set I’ve ever played.

I went into it just telling myself to just hit 7 irons, which I enjoy. It works for me.

That's a lot of tech.

Are the OL and variable length heads the same just different badging or are the OL heads weighted differently based on the concept?

Weighting is different.

Are the OL and variable length heads the same just different badging or are the OL heads weighted differently based on the concept?

From what I've read on the site the heads are weighted differently, some weight added to long iron heads and weight removed from short iron heads.

Question on the OL club makeup - is there only 1 steel shaft and 1 graphite shaft option available for OL since those shafts need to be flighted a certain way to get the end result that Cobra is looking for? I know there are flex options (regular/stiff), just not sure about shaft options for this type of iron set.

Just take a peek at the F8s and FTBs on Cobra's site. Plenty of shaft options for OL, both steel and graphite.

Back