Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

I was surprised at the size of the heads. Much more compact than I expected. I was all in on the FTB just because of the profile, but now I've got a real decision to make.

I agree with this and think of you are a pretty straight forward golfer (meaning hit it straight and repeat) they are better.

I did not take any pics so thats my bad but I put this up against

(all 7i heads)

Forged Tour

Forged Tec

F8

FMax Superlite

And Oversized (jeebus this is a monster lol)

And aside from a lil peak at the rear on the 9 topline look had me happy

Dan I think you should go all MBs though, you’re an effing Tour Pro

Looked at the MBs the other day and the heads are so tiny compared to what I'm used to playing. Reminds me of this:

722888d0a0216733846d7cffffb7717d.jpg

Just ordered a 4 iron OL F9 as a substitute driving iron for my backup bag. Hoping to get 90% of the performance of the King Utility OL for 60% of the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So the F9 4 iron I ordered just shipped yesterday. I guess they aren't waiting till the 18th?

So the F9 4 iron I ordered just shipped yesterday. I guess they aren't waiting till the 18th?

Might put it on the slow boat so it doesn't arrive before the 18th.

Just ordered a 4 iron OL F9 as a substitute driving iron for my backup bag. Hoping to get 90% of the performance of the King Utility OL for 60% of the price.

I am really looking forward to seeing how that works for you.

I am really looking forward to seeing how that works for you.
It will be quite the comparison test. I can put it up against my VL Forged Tec 4 iron, my OL Forged Tec Black 4 Iron, and my King Utility OL 4 iron.

It will be quite the comparison test. I can put it up against my VL Forged Tec 4 iron, my OL Forged Tec Black 4 Iron, and my King Utility OL 4 iron.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely interested in seeing how that turns out.

Thinking about getting either a F9 or Utility one length for the 4-5i spot. Anyone have experience with the utility, the F9 looks like it would be maybe even a little easier to elevate?

Thinking about getting either a F9 or Utility one length for the 4-5i spot. Anyone have experience with the utility, the F9 looks like it would be maybe even a little easier to elevate?
I have a Utility 4 with C Taper Lite and can elevate it no problem. I also have a 4 iron F9 coming next week for my backup/travel bag and will do a comparison.

Question for you who have played the F9 irons out on an actual course... How is the turf interaction? I can see that the sole of the iron sticks down a little below the “chassis,” which could address the once concern I have, which is hitting a very wide sole scoring iron off of tight lies. If that is not an issue, I think I could easily game these irons, and might even choose them for the Morgan Cup.

Question for you who have played the F9 irons out on an actual course... How is the turf interaction? I can see that the sole of the iron sticks down a little below the “chassis,” which could address the once concern I have, which is hitting a very wide sole scoring iron off of tight lies. If that is not an issue, I think I could easily game these irons, and might even choose them for the Morgan Cup.

No issue at all. No different than a utility club or hybrid really.

It does sit lower than many in their class in my opinion.

The F7 irons were one of my absolute favorite clubs to review ever because of the TecFlow story and how effing long they were, that alone has me wanting to take some swipes with the F9's at some point. Might point one of my younger HS golfers who's about to buy a set this way.

No issue at all. No different than a utility club or hybrid really.

It does sit lower than many in their class in my opinion.

JB, how would that be if I swung all the way from the cb/mbs to F9s? I know you don’t honestly care what we choose, but that would be quite the shift. I am a decent ball striker, but truly my game is not full of fancy swings, just pick the club for my yardage and, as often as possible, take a full swing. My biggest goal for this year in golf is to break par for 18 holes. I shot even par twice last year, so I know I can do it, but my game is hitting greens and two putt, with one or two birdies thrown in from one putts. Your advice is that the F9s are intended for that type of golfer (as well has higher handicaps). I am thinking hard...

JB, how would that be if I swung all the way from the cb/mbs to F9s? I know you don’t honestly care what we choose, but that would be quite the shift. I am a decent ball striker, but truly my game is not full of fancy swings, just pick the club for my yardage and, as often as possible, take a full swing. My biggest goal for this year in golf is to break par for 18 holes. I shot even par twice last year, so I know I can do it, but my game is hitting greens and two putt, with one or two birdies thrown in from one putts. Your advice is that the F9s are intended for that type of golfer (as well has higher handicaps). I am thinking hard...

I’m a believer in two things.
Play what you want and play the most forgiving club you can look at.

If you are shorting even par, play with what you are comfortable with. I see a lot of the higher handicaps in the event that should be looking into these and aren’t for some reason, but honestly I don’t care what anybody plays.

I want everybody to play well. I always said when it comes to an event like this, if I was in the final round and needed to hit shots with people all around and the competition environment, what would I want?

I’m a high and straight golfer. I don’t need to work the ball left and right on command. A reduction of spin helps me and I never have an issue holding greens. So to me, this set screams go low.

In the exact same boat Tenputt. I started playing with a blade, went to a bigger sole and I didnt feel right. I'm gaming mph5 now but I would love to shave a few strokes for sure and would pick these if they could help. Will I feel comfy at address is my issue. Looking down at something smaller with people watching for a game winning shot? Give me any club and I am sticking it. Lol. No pressure on the golf course.

I’m beyond excited to hit these. I’ve been trying to eliminate my big draw and hit straighter shots. Everything about the F9 tech looks like it is exactly what I want to play better golf.

Last edited:
I’m beyond excited to hit these. I’ve been trying to elongate my big draw and hit straighter shots. Everything about the F9 tech looks like it is exactly what I want to play better golf.

I’m betting they’re rocket launchers too. You going this route?

I’m betting they’re rocket launchers too. You going this route?

Yes. Absolutely going with the F9 - they aren’t what I would normally gravitate to but everything I’m reading and hearing is that these match up with my swing/golf goals. Thus, my conclusion is what I normally gravitate to is wrong and I REALLY want to test that hypothesis. And rocket launchers don’t sound too bad either.

I’ve also got a real suspicion that these are more compact that the stock images make them seem too.

Yes. Absolutely going with the F9 - they aren’t what I would normally gravitate to but everything I’m reading and hearing is that these match up with my swing/golf goals. Thus, my conclusion is what I normally gravitate to is wrong and I REALLY want to test that hypothesis. And rocket launchers don’t sound too bad either.

I’ve also got a real suspicion that these are more compact that the stock images make them seem too.

Good dude. SOMEONE needs to go with them for the event, it’s only right imo.

Good dude. SOMEONE needs to go with them for the event, it’s only right imo.

Trust me, I won’t be alone based on what I’m hearing. I’m guessing you will be surprised with the number who opt for the F9.

It is easy to entertain a lot of options and banter about sets but getting a lot of time to consider everything should give the opportunity to come back to the right choice. I think the threads that laid out the options early will help a lot of people make the right call for their game.

I also think there is some gamesmanship going on lol.

Trust me, I won’t be alone based on what I’m hearing. I’m guessing you will be surprised with the number who opt for the F9.

It is easy to entertain a lot of options and banter about sets but getting a lot of time to consider everything should give the opportunity to come back to the right choice. I think the threads that laid out the options early will help a lot of people make the right call for their game.

I actually hope you’re right, but, events like this history tells a different story.

But I totally get it, people should 1000% play what they want.

I 100% agree with you. I really hope these don’t get overlooked. To be honest this style of club is something I would probably never even consider based on looks and by that I mean the wide sole. BUT I want to give them a fair shake, I owe that to Cobra. Just waiting for them to show up in stores so I can put them head to head with Cobra’s other offerings. Maybe they will make the bag maybe they won’t but I keep reading the tech about these and it’s definitely intriguing. Cobra is trying to make the game easier for us, people should take notice.

I was lucky enough to be part of MC ‘18 and went F8.... still gaming still loving and still hit bombs for me.... played early back nine this AM and both par 5s (~510 yds) I was on in 2 on both driver, 3w.... soggy and no roll.... which for an old man I’ll take all day every day

I’m sure F9s will be that much better and you won’t be disappointed!

Can’t wait to find out how you hit’em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to be part of MC ‘18 and went F8.... still gaming still loving and still hit bombs for me.... played early back nine this AM and both par 5s (~510 yds) I was on in 2 on both driver, 3w.... soggy and no roll.... which for an old man I’ll take all day every day

I’m sure F9s will be that much better and you won’t be disappointed!

Can’t wait to find out how you hit’em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the sound of this.

Back