Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

First round out at my local club with the F9 irons, no practice except warm up before teeing off. I play 2 to 3 rounds a week here as a member. Par 72, 6600 yard traditional tree lined course for reference.

14 of 18 GIR for a 73 with a double and a 3 putt bogey.

These irons are legit! I will post thoughts later when I have a minute.

I'm due for an iron fitting next season, and these have my eye. For someone who already has the screw-in Arccos sensors, are there any length or swing weight issues if you order them with regular grips instead of the built-in arccos ones?

quod erat;n8877106 said:
I'm due for an iron fitting next season, and these have my eye. For someone who already has the screw-in Arccos sensors, are there any length or swing weight issues if you order them with regular grips instead of the built-in arccos ones?

I’m not sure if there is a difference in weight between the two types of sensors but Cobra advertises both lengths (they are shorter without the sensors in the grips).

Canadan;n8877148 said:
4 iron is back in the bag. Hit it twice tonight and just laughed. Way too easy.

Sound is so nailed by Cobra.

I’m surprised it left your bag. It’s longer than my driver in your hands.

Molten;n8877184 said:
I’m surprised it left your bag. It’s longer than my driver in your hands.

It's fun to have fun.

Was messing around with some lower launching options but it doesn't seem necessary.

Canadan;n8877148 said:

I swear that the sound of the Cobra F9s are better to my ear than the new titleist T2000s. It is not a knock on the Titleist irons, but the F9s are exceptional for a game improvement profile, loaded with tech.

sl1111;n8877061 said:
First round out at my local club with the F9 irons, no practice except warm up before teeing off. I play 2 to 3 rounds a week here as a member. Par 72, 6600 yard traditional tree lined course for reference.

Wow!!! That is awesome. Congrats.

Canadan;n8877148 said:

I couldn’t agree more. I think the F9 4 iron is my favorite club I have ever played. It’s stayed in my bag even though I have not played the rest of the set the last few rounds to try out some new things. But it’s so effortless and sounds so good.

Tenputt;n8877231 said:
I swear that the sound of the Cobra F9s are better to my ear than the new titleist T2000s. It is not a knock on the Titleist irons, but the F9s are exceptional for a game improvement profile, loaded with tech.

No question about it.

The 4 iron is a serious ponder, Rickie edition to be exact ! Need a weapon off the tee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaysfan;n8877242 said:
The 4 iron is a serious ponder, Rickie edition to be exact ! Need a weapon off the tee

That is the exact 4 iron that is in my bag. Wow, what an incredible club it has been for me. This late in the season, I am still hitting almost 80% of fairways and 50% of greens from the fairway. Of us mere mortals, who wouldn’t want a club that allows us to hit half of the greens from 215 to 220 yards and 80% of the fairways, yielding a distance of about 225 yards? The club blows me away. 9CEE24B9-D27C-4703-9C11-ED45E39A3EB6.jpeg19E3F0D4-A12E-4B72-A616-8D7B3D7001BD.jpeg

OITW;n8877256 said:
Add me to the 4i is a beast crew

5b79bab1ce77ea735b389e84b188e3a2.jpg
That’s really impressive. As if I needed the extra push to go cop one . This will be in my bag really soon
Tenputt;n8877249 said:
That is the exact 4 iron that is in my bag. Wow, what an incredible club it has been for me. This late in the season, I am still hitting almost 80% of fairways and 50% of greens from the fairway. Of us mere mortals, who wouldn’t want a club that allows us to hit half of the greens from 215 to 220 yards and 80% of the fairways, yielding a distance of about 225 yards? The club blows me away.

Very nice I’m guessing my stats would be similar in distance wise . Something to fill my gapping from 5 iron to my f9 fairway

sl1111;n8876049 said:
Im going to embrace my horrendous ball striking and put these in play. I am currently a 7 index and playing a combo set of Srixon U85/785 irons and I was in a set of Honma T World 747's prior to that. These two sets are probably the softest feeling forged sets you can play, so feel is a big deal to me. When I started to test the GI realm again nothing could compete for feel and I thought I was going to stick with Srixon. I tested all the GI stuff and couldn't get along with it. Currently playing Ping G410 Driver, Fairway, and Hybrid so I thought I would slide into G410 irons. Nope, just not a good fit for me. Then on a whim I demoed the F9. Not Srixon/Honma soft, but not GI clank either. Very acceptable and the numbers don't lie. Except being a club longer I can play these for sure. Going to slide an extra wedge in at the short end of the bag and as hard it is for me to do, ignore the numbers on the bottom of the club. Im embracing jacked lofts that produce high flight!

So going forward my single digit GI set will look like this:
Ping G410 Plus driver, fairway, and hybrid
Cobra F9 irons 5-PW
Cleveland CBX2 48,52,56,48
Ping Valor 36 inch counter balanced putter

Quick follow up to my first round post as I owe you guys the infoÂ…Â…Â…
I spent hours at an outside demo facility and on a whim tested these. I was ready to venture into the GI category as my ball striking is horrible (see quoted post.) I am known at my club as not only “streaky”, but have been told by the membership and low cap guys I play with as “the streakiest” they have ever seen. Day to day, I can drive it well and fail to score and shoot low 80’s. I can drive it horrible and get up and down from everywhere and shoot in the low 80’s. I can drive it well, hit my irons well, and not make a putt and shoot in the low 80’s. I can do nothing very well and scratch out a high 70’s………. and then about once a month I put it all together and shoot in the low 70’s. In the past 3 months I have broken par with a 71 three times, had a handful of 73 to 78’s, and shot a few 87’s. All of these numbers on the same course with very little variable, so I was looking for help.

I tested Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro, G410, I500, I210, and a handful of others that I canÂ’t recall. I also had multiple shafts in each head for comparison sake so that was not a factor. All of the aforementioned were no better than my current set or I just couldnÂ’t deal with the feel.

As my search was coming to an end I decided to grab the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal / Modus Pro 105 (non pro) 5 and 7 iron and the F9 KBS 90 5 and 7 iron for one last go.
I will be totally honest, I donÂ’t like the overall, in the bag, look of the F9 and I wanted to hate it. Once I sat it behind the ball it looked fine, but the overall look was a little busy for me. Then I took my first swing with the 7 iron and all thoughts of appearance disappeared. High, towering, and straight!!! Hit a few more and couldnÂ’t miss, but thought it was a fluke. Switched to the 919 and thought it was a better looking club and could live with it in the bag appearance wise. Swing produced a shot that did not compare to the F9 and figured I would go again. 10 shots later and I still had not replicated the flight or feel of the F9. So now to really test, I started randomly hitting no more than 1 ball at a time with each of the four clubs and never hitting the same numbered club back to back. If I hit the F9 7 iron I would then hit the 919 5 iron and so on. The F9 outperformed the 919 every time (for me.)

I decided to buy the stock set 5-GW KBS 90 because I hit them well during testing and didnÂ’t want to wait for a special order. I tinker with club building and figured I could re-shaft later if needed. It was closing time at the shop/range so I went with the stock on hand and left.

Showed up at the course the next day and hit every club in the set approximately 2 times and headed to the tee. I knew the specs of my current set and confirmed the F9 specs online and had it in my mind the F9’s would be 1 to 1.5 clubs longer. This is where the mind games started as I pulled an 8 when normally I would pull a 7. Surprisingly, after 3 or 4 holes I figured the F9 was only a ½ to ¾ longer and quickly adjusted. 180 instead of 175 isn’t that big a deal, but still getting 170 to 175 on a miss hit is. Out of the box with stock KBS 90 I hit 14 of 18 greens. Some of those were farther away from the pin as I would like due to being a little off with calculations from my old set to these, but I was hitting greens like never before. The biggest difference was my misses were not as severely punished. Many shots that landed on the green with the F9 would have been short or left/right with my old set. Suddenly these irons looked great sitting in the bag……

Feel: Not forged like my last few sets (Srixon 785/U85 combo and Honma T-World 747) but way better than any other GI I hit. The forged face in the cast body mask the GI “Thwack” very well.

Launch: If you judge height in a window, I would say these are 2 windows higher club for club compared to my standard cavity back window. I enjoyed it to tell you the truth.

Distance: Longer than my CB sets but not unamenable like I thought it would be. Did not take a whole lot of adjustment.

Hot face/fliers: Cobra figured it out here. I hit plenty out of the middle of the face and expected the dreaded extra 10-20 yards associated with some GI faces. So far havenÂ’t had any.

Set make up: Thought 5-GW would be good with a 3 Hybrid on the big end and adding 48,52,56,60 wedges to the short end. I was playing the set PW at 46 and 50, 54, 58 blade wedges in my Z785Â’s so thought I would have huge gapping issues with the changeover. That really didnÂ’t materialize and I am going to have to do some testing as the 5 iron isnÂ’t as long as I expected. I may be leaning toward adding the unicorn 4 iron and not carrying 5 wedges. I will test and make changes slowly but now leaning toward D, 3wd, 5wd, 4-GW, 54, and 58. I think the 4 iron will be too close to my 3 hybrid so I will drop it and add the 5 wood. This all remains to be determined.

The huge surprise!: The set gap wedge. Figured I would adding a CBX2 when they launch but this thing worked. The big beveled bottom in was great for full swings and little chips.

Disclaimer: I am a huge club ho. This may have just been one of the days I put it all together so any of this could change at any time, but I am going to give this GI set a serious chance and see what happens. I know they will at least be in the bag through the weekend and I have 2 rounds scheduled so I will report back after those are complete.

Pondering: What shaft am I going to put in the 4 iron!!!! It will be ordered ASAP.

Closing: I used to be very active here but life happens and IÂ’ve been checked out. Time to reengage and get back in the albatross club. Honestly just forgot to do it as I havenÂ’t been on here much the past year.

Oh, I posted the 73 on the same day GHIN adjusted and it dropped me to a 6 index.

Last edited:
sl1111;n8878024 said:
Quick follow up to my first round post as I owe you guys the infoÂ…Â…Â…
I spent hours at an outside demo facility and on a whim tested these. I was ready to venture into the GI category as my ball striking is horrible (see quoted post.) I am known at my club as not only “streaky”, but have been told by the membership and low cap guys I play with as “the streakiest” they have ever seen. Day to day, I can drive it well and fail to score and shoot low 80’s. I can drive it horrible and get up and down from everywhere and shoot in the low 80’s. I can drive it well, hit my irons well, and not make a putt and shoot in the low 80’s. I can do nothing very well and scratch out a high 70’s………. and then about once a month I put it all together and shoot in the low 70’s. In the past 3 months I have broken par with a 71 three times, had a handful of 73 to 78’s, and shot a few 87’s. All of these numbers on the same course with very little variable, so I was looking for help.

I tested Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro, G410, I500, I210, and a handful of others that I canÂ’t recall. I also had multiple shafts in each head for comparison sake so that was not a factor. All of the aforementioned were no better than my current set or I just couldnÂ’t deal with the feel.

As my search was coming to an end I decided to grab the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal / Modus Pro 105 (non pro) 5 and 7 iron and the F9 KBS 90 5 and 7 iron for one last go.
I will be totally honest, I donÂ’t like the overall, in the bag, look of the F9 and I wanted to hate it. Once I sat it behind the ball it looked fine, but the overall look was a little busy for me. Then I took my first swing with the 7 iron and all thoughts of appearance disappeared. High, towering, and straight!!! Hit a few more and couldnÂ’t miss, but thought it was a fluke. Switched to the 919 and thought it was a better looking club and could live with it in the bag appearance wise. Swing produced a shot that did not compare to the F9 and figured I would go again. 10 shots later and I still had not replicated the flight or feel of the F9. So now to really test, I started randomly hitting no more than 1 ball at a time with each of the four clubs and never hitting the same numbered club back to back. If I hit the F9 7 iron I would then hit the 919 5 iron and so on. The F9 outperformed the 919 every time (for me.)

I decided to buy the stock set 5-GW KBS 90 because I hit them well during testing and didnÂ’t want to wait for a special order. I tinker with club building and figured I could re-shaft later if needed. It was closing time at the shop/range so I went with the stock on hand and left.

Showed up at the course the next day and hit every club in the set approximately 2 times and headed to the tee. I knew the specs of my current set and confirmed the F9 specs online and had it in my mind the F9’s would be 1 to 1.5 clubs longer. This is where the mind games started as I pulled an 8 when normally I would pull a 7. Surprisingly, after 3 or 4 holes I figured the F9 was only a ½ to ¾ longer and quickly adjusted. 180 instead of 175 isn’t that big a deal, but still getting 170 to 175 on a miss hit is. Out of the box with stock KBS 90 I hit 14 of 18 greens. Some of those were farther away from the pin as I would like due to being a little off with calculations from my old set to these, but I was hitting greens like never before. The biggest difference was my misses were not as severely punished. Many shots that landed on the green with the F9 would have been short or left/right with my old set. Suddenly these irons looked great sitting in the bag……

Feel: Not forged like my last few sets (Srixon 785/U85 combo and Honma T-World 747) but way better than any other GI I hit. The forged face in the cast body mask the GI “Thwack” very well.

Launch: If you judge height in a window, I would say these are 2 windows higher club for club compared to my standard cavity back window. I enjoyed it to tell you the truth.

Distance: Longer than my CB sets but not unamenable like I thought it would be. Did not take a whole lot of adjustment.

Hot face/fliers: Cobra figured it out here. I hit plenty out of the middle of the face and expected the dreaded extra 10-20 yards associated with some GI faces. So far havenÂ’t had any.

Set make up: Thought 5-GW would be good with a 3 Hybrid on the big end and adding 48,52,56,60 wedges to the short end. I was playing the set PW at 46 and 50, 54, 58 blade wedges in my Z785Â’s so thought I would have huge gapping issues with the changeover. That really didnÂ’t materialize and I am going to have to do some testing as the 5 iron isnÂ’t as long as I expected. I may be leaning toward adding the unicorn 4 iron and not carrying 5 wedges. I will test and make changes slowly but now leaning toward D, 3wd, 5wd, 4-GW, 54, and 58. I think the 4 iron will be too close to my 3 hybrid so I will drop it and add the 5 wood. This all remains to be determined.

The huge surprise!: The set gap wedge. Figured I would adding a CBX2 when they launch but this thing worked. The big beveled bottom in was great for full swings and little chips.

Disclaimer: I am a huge club ho. This may have just been one of the days I put it all together so any of this could change at any time, but I am going to give this GI set a serious chance and see what happens. I know they will at least be in the bag through the weekend and I have 2 rounds scheduled so I will report back after those are complete.

Pondering: What shaft am I going to put in the 4 iron!!!! It will be ordered ASAP.

Closing: I used to be very active here but life happens and IÂ’ve been checked out. Time to reengage and get back in the albatross club. Honestly just forgot to do it as I havenÂ’t been on here much the past year.

Oh, I posted the 73 on the same day GHIN adjusted and it dropped me to a 6 index.

Nice report. I enjoyed reading it.

sl1111;n8878024 said:
Quick follow up to my first round post as I owe you guys the info………

I tested Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro, G410, I500, I210, and a handful of others that I can’t recall. I also had multiple shafts in each head for comparison sake so that was not a factor. All of the aforementioned were no better than my current set or I just couldn’t deal with the feel.

I will be totally honest, I don’t like the overall, in the bag, look of the F9 and I wanted to hate it. Once I sat it behind the ball it looked fine, but the overall look was a little busy for me. Then I took my first swing with the 7 iron and all thoughts of appearance disappeared. High, towering, and straight!!! Hit a few more and couldn’t miss, but thought it was a fluke. Switched to the 919 and thought it was a better looking club and could live with it in the bag appearance wise. Swing produced a shot that did not compare to the F9 and figured I would go again. 10 shots later and I still had not replicated the flight or feel of the F9. So now to really test, I started randomly hitting no more than 1 ball at a time with each of the four clubs and never hitting the same numbered club back to back. If I hit the F9 7 iron I would then hit the 919 5 iron and so on. The F9 outperformed the 919 every time (for me.)

I decided to buy the stock set 5-GW KBS 90 because I hit them well during testing and didn’t want to wait for a special order. I tinker with club building and figured I could re-shaft later if needed. It was closing time at the shop/range so I went with the stock on hand and left.

Hot face/fliers: Cobra figured it out here. I hit plenty out of the middle of the face and expected the dreaded extra 10-20 yards associated with some GI faces. So far haven’t had any.

Set make up: Thought 5-GW would be good with a 3 Hybrid on the big end and adding 48,52,56,60 wedges to the short end. I was playing the set PW at 46 and 50, 54, 58 blade wedges in my Z785’s so thought I would have huge gapping issues with the changeover. That really didn’t materialize and I am going to have to do some testing as the 5 iron isn’t as long as I expected. I may be leaning toward adding the unicorn 4 iron and not carrying 5 wedges. I will test and make changes slowly but now leaning toward D, 3wd, 5wd, 4-GW, 54, and 58. I think the 4 iron will be too close to my 3 hybrid so I will drop it and add the 5 wood. This all remains to be determined.

Closing: I used to be very active here but life happens and I’ve been checked out. Time to reengage and get back in the albatross club. Honestly just forgot to do it as I haven’t been on here much the past year.

Order that 4 iron right away. I can’t believe it wasn’t the first order. And I agree on the fliers 100%

Canadan;n8878970 said:
I think I am just going to hit the 4 iron off the tee tomorrow haha. It's nutty.

My game plan today, it’s the distance of a hybrid/high lofted wood, but the control of an iron and a wonderful penetrating trajectory

OITW;n8879065 said:
My game plan today, it’s the distance of a hybrid/high lofted wood, but the control of an iron and a wonderful penetrating trajectory

Exactly!!!

Canadan;n8878970 said:
I think I am just going to hit the 4 iron off the tee tomorrow haha. It's nutty.

Didn't do this. Only hit it a couple times.

That said, one was outstanding, one was a great miss, one was a hard draw that I could basically do anything with but miss right, and one was a fan right because I tried to get fancy. I can dig that kind of variety.

I had a great day with my Catalyst shafted 4i today. Crushed one on a par 3 into the wind. Another hole had about 230 to water off the tee in a par 4, and this club put it right to the edge of the fairway with a nice and easy swing.

This club is just fun. It sounds so good.

Tomorrow will be my 4th round in 6 days with the F9 irons. Remember I said I was “streaky” at best. First 3 rounds have been 73, 75, and a 78 today that had nothing to do with the irons. I will do another full report after the round tomorrow.

I ordered the 4 iron today to round out the bag and I can’t believe the set gap wedge may just stay in play!

sl1111;n8880274 said:
Tomorrow will be my 4th round in 6 days with the F9 irons. Remember I said I was “streaky” at best. First 3 rounds have been 73, 75, and a 78 today that had nothing to do with the irons. I will do another full report after the round tomorrow.

I ordered the 4 iron today to round out the bag and I can’t believe the set gap wedge may just stay in play!

I think the set gap wedge is really good.

These continue to be such solid performers. 14 GIR yesterday. When you look at the cost of equipment these days, this offering provides so much value for the price. I think so many people could put these in the bag and have a very rewarding golfing experience.

Back