Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

Tenputt;n8889329 said:
These continue to be such solid performers. 14 GIR yesterday. When you look at the cost of equipment these days, this offering provides so much value for the price. I think so many people could put these in the bag and have a very rewarding golfing experience.

Completely agree with you. I have had some of my best and worst shots with the F9 one length. I feel like I get a much higher flight than with my past irons. Plus, they are stronger lofted giving me a bit more in distance as well.

For the money spent, I think there is a great deal on technology and solid club making in these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenputt;n8889329 said:
These continue to be such solid performers. 14 GIR yesterday. When you look at the cost of equipment these days, this offering provides so much value for the price. I think so many people could put these in the bag and have a very rewarding golfing experience.

This is spot on. I think the F9 is a great set for many golfers, and especially those who are a higher handicap and looking for a set that can stay with you as your game evolves. Tons of tech in these clubs. My only criticism is that I am not the biggest fan of the power shell sole, as I find it to be difficult to play off tight lies and firm ground.

Last edited:
Definitely want to rebuild my 4 iron.

Took the 7 iron to the range and still cant believe the flight of these clubs at times.

Trying to search this thread for 4 iron shafts is not proving easy.

With that, if you have re-shafted or ordered your 4 iron with graphite, which shaft did you chose?

Did you go with an iron or hybrid shaft?

Length?

sl1111;n8890225 said:

With that, if you have re-shafted or ordered your 4 iron with graphite, which shaft did you chose?

Length?

Mine has the Rickie Fowler setup, which you can see if you go to the Cobra website and look in the individual irons link.

sl1111;n8890225 said:

Length?

Mine has a KBS C-Taper Lite in it currently and its fantastic. I have thought about changing to hybrid shaft but haven't been in a hurry to so. The reasoning behind the switch would simply be to lower the ball flight a bit but its already a weapon off the tee.

sl1111;n8890225 said:

Length?

I’m playing a Catalyst 80 6.0 in mine with no additional weight added and at a finish length of 34.25”. I think it’s a bit long, but it works really well.

jdtox;n8890320 said:
Mine has a KBS C-Taper Lite in it currently and its fantastic. I have thought about changing to hybrid shaft but haven't been in a hurry to so. The reasoning behind the switch would simply be to lower the ball flight a bit but its already a weapon off the tee.

Same here- but that's throughout the entire bag. Have no desire to switch it out as it's been such a weapon for me all year long. Now maybe if they offered a 3 iron then I'd go to something like some of the other folks have, but for now the C-Taper Lites are performing extremely well for me.

Ctaper lite works really well in these.

BigDill;n8890511 said:
I’m playing a Catalyst 80 6.0 in mine with no additional weight added and at a finish length of 34.25”. I think it’s a bit long, but it works really well.

Freaking Hammer

My 4i is intense switched the loft setup on my 5w to 17* from 20* because it’s sooo strong

Smoothed out my swing and tempo and I’ve been hammering the irons

Some of the tight lies shots have been a struggle for me though recently

I remember a buddy of mine had the F7 irons. Three of the club heads flew off a while back. It was pretty funny. Well karma bit me in the ass on Saturday and wouldn't you know, my F9 5 iron head came flying off while hitting an approach shot from 185 out. Played the rest of the day, some of the irons sound funny to everyone playing. Cobra only wanted to replace the five iron. My clubs stay in my air conditioned closet, no way I mistreated them. Ended up trading them for a loss at Edwin Watts for the g410's. Not in a good mood right now...

Mikey P;n8892844 said:
I remember a buddy of mine had the F7 irons. Three of the club heads flew off a while back. It was pretty funny. Well karma bit me in the ass on Saturday and wouldn't you know, my F9 5 iron head came flying off while hitting an approach shot from 185 out. Played the rest of the day, some of the irons sound funny to everyone playing. Cobra only wanted to replace the five iron. My clubs stay in my air conditioned closet, no way I mistreated them. Ended up trading them for a loss at Edwin Watts for the g410's. Not in a good mood right now...

I am beyond surprised to hear that you had a head fly off. I have played the F9s in the same South Florida heat and have beat the holy heck out of them without a single issue. I did break a graphite shaft in my frankeniron v1.0 4i, but that was a result of operator error off of a driving range mat. It is a shame you traded them in for a loss, I would have loved to take a look at them and see if there was an issue or solution.

Edwin Watts actually did me a solid, took 10% off what I paid for them, 4-G. The F9's, I'm gonna miss them :'(. I'm reading about other failures on Facebook of them too. It's like dating a girl who cheated on you, it's going to happen again, the question is when.

Had a great day today, 2.1 approach handicap on Arccos today.

With the Modus 105 shafts, if I slow it down and focus on tempo, these really do the work for you. Still gaming them and plan to for the rest of the year, it was fun changing up irons and seeing how they compare, but these do the job and the added forgiveness can't be beat.

I can also work these.

The 4i is still probably the best of these, especially with the Catalyst shaft in it.

I do think if I was going to change these at all, I would probably want something that spins a bit more, it's crazy as these still launch high, but a little less rollout on approaches would be perfect.

Having irons that cover the 220 range off the deck makes playing tighter courses a lot easier though.

OITW;n8896551 said:
Had a great day today, 2.1 approach handicap on Arccos today.

With the Modus 105 shafts, if I slow it down and focus on tempo, these really do the work for you. Still gaming them and plan to for the rest of the year, it was fun changing up irons and seeing how they compare, but these do the job and the added forgiveness can't be beat.

I can also work these.

The 4i is still probably the best of these, especially with the Catalyst shaft in it.

I do think if I was going to change these at all, I would probably want something that spins a bit more, it's crazy as these still launch high, but a little less rollout on approaches would be perfect.

Having irons that cover the 220 range off the deck makes playing tighter courses a lot easier though.

How have you been doing with the turf interaction? My only complaint with the F9 irons has been the turf interaction on tight lies.

BigDill;n8896629 said:
How have you been doing with the turf interaction? My only complaint with the F9 irons has been the turf interaction on tight lies.

What do you think the issue is?

BigDill;n8896629 said:

From the turf isn't as good as from a tee, also probably not as good as my X Forged were or the DPFs - I mean they are a bit chunkier on the bottom - but with the way I've been swinging it's not that bad last few rounds I've some great shots regardless of the lie.

I’ve actually been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of turf interaction I get with these. It was one of my primary concerns to start with, but my swing dynamics appear to work well with them... Had my lowest round of the year (73) with the F9s in the bag today, and they were seriously on point with whatever shot I had to hit. Still love chipping with the GW and PW as well.

JB;n8896635 said:
What do you think the issue is?

I think the “pwrshell” feature adds some bulk towards the middle of the heal and then rounds down with a small radius towards the back of the club. On tight lies or firm ground, I feel like the club has some bounce, almost like a wedge, which sometimes causes me to hit the ball thin, especially on steep swings. Granted, I’m certainly not the best golfer in the world, but after close to 25 rounds with the F9 OL set, I found it to be an issue for me. I would prefer a more continuous radius to relief in a more traditional shape.

BigDill;n8896678 said:
I think the “pwrshell” feature adds some bulk towards the middle of the heal and then rounds down with a small radius towards the back of the club. On tight lies or firm ground, I feel like the club has some bounce, almost like a wedge, which sometimes causes me to hit the ball thin, especially on steep swings. Granted, I’m certainly not the best golfer in the world, but after close to 25 rounds with the F9 OL set, I found it to be an issue for me. I would prefer a more continuous radius to relief in a more traditional shape.

Interesting. Thanks. The idea behind that is that the center of the sole sits lower to the ground than most irons, therefore making it easier for clean contact. That stinks that it is not working the way it should. I have only played certain spots with these, but every time I see the set in the club lab, I want to bring them out, because they just work so well for me.

JB;n8896682 said:
Interesting. Thanks. The idea behind that is that the center of the sole sits lower to the ground than most irons, therefore making it easier for clean contact. That stinks that it is not working the way it should. I have only played certain spots with these, but every time I see the set in the club lab, I want to bring them out, because they just work so well for me.

So overall, they have been great for me on whole. The 4i and 5i have been the easiest to hit long irons I have ever played, and I still carry the 4i in the bag. The other part is that my swing tends to get steep and aggressive as I get tired. When it’s smooth and tempered, I make much better contact. In a perfect world, I would live to have the pwrshell on 4-6, and then a more traditional shape on 7-GW.

As an aside, I think the stock set up is a bit too upright for me. With a proper fitting and adjustment, this minor issue may be resolved for me.

BigDill;n8896693 said:
So overall, they have been great for me on whole. The 4i and 5i have been the easiest to hit long irons I have ever played, and I still carry the 4i in the bag. The other part is that my swing tends to get steep and aggressive as I get tired. When it’s smooth and tempered, I make much better contact. In a perfect world, I would live to have the pwrshell on 4-6, and then a more traditional shape on 7-GW.

As an aside, I think the stock set up is a bit too upright for me. With a proper fitting and adjustment, this minor issue may be resolved for me.

I do want to clarify, that I have also posted some low rounds as well as a PB with these irons in the bag. I definitely think the turf issue is my swing round to round.

OITW;n8896724 said:
I do want to clarify, that I have also posted some low rounds as well as a PB with these irons in the bag. I definitely think the turf issue is my swing round to round.

And as we spoke about before, a lot has to do with course conditions. At well maintained courses, I have not experienced the issue I described above. At the more poorly maintained courses is where I have the most issue.

Last edited:
I feared turf interaction with the F9 irons, but it has NEVER been an issue. I do come through the ball with a shallow angle of attack, though.

Turf interaction was surprisingly good for me with them.

The raised sole almost acted like a v-sole to help the club get in and out of the turf. Off tight lies I didnt have an issue since most of these were full swing clubs, but I could see an issue of a partial swing off a tight, bare lie or hard pan. But I would say for hardpan most clubs suck off that.

The club is designed to go far and have quite a bit of moi and low, back weight to get the ball airborne quickly. It does an excellent job with that.

Back